PDA

View Full Version : "Bats Day in the Park" Question

lala1486
08-13-2007, 07:10 PM
We wanted to go to DL this weekend but then realized that it is Bats Day this weekend. We don't really want to be there at this time, for several reasons, including crowds, etc. I looked at their website and saw that it only had Sunday as the date for actually going into DL and the other days are "pre-events". But does anyone know, either from previous experience or someone going, whether a whole bunch of bats day visitors are also present on the Friday and Saturday? Thanks so much!

muppetlover
08-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Though the large portion of Bats Day participants will be in the park on Sunday, there are a significant amount that attend on Friday and Saturday as well, as some people who come are visiting from Europe, Japan, Australia, etc. As they have traveled such a distance, they tend to buy multiday passes for the occassion.

IMHO, however, the majority of the Bats Day guests are some of the best and most fun/friendly Guests who come for visits to the park. Yes they are dressed in dark gothy clothes, but they tend to be very great people. Though I don't even remotely identify as being goth, some of my best friends attend this event and they are the perkiest Disney people you will ever meet.

Katran
08-14-2007, 05:56 AM
I'd never even heard of "Bat Day" before now. I'll have to tell my cousin and his wife about it. They're Goths and as MuppetLover said, some of the nicest, most fun people on the planet (and I'm not just saying that because they're family, it's really true!).

pastrylover
08-14-2007, 09:14 AM
I love going during "Bats Day". They are indeed very nice people and I LOVE looking at their costumes/outfits. Some of them go to such detail that you can't help admiring them.

bag3lbit3s
08-14-2007, 02:50 PM
I'll be there...although the may seem scary, they're not. My girlfriend and her friends are kinda into the whole goth thing. Not me I'm the complete opposite. But I'll be dressing up just for the fun of it. Like everyone else mentioned, they're almost always the nicest people you'll ever meet.

taybug517
08-14-2007, 07:40 PM
I was there during this day last year... it was great!

We saw some hardcore goths on Winnie the Pooh.

lala1486
08-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Thanks everyone! Maybe we'll still make the trip and just take it easy sounds like its not too too crowded although if its anything like today (heat wise) maybe next week! Thanks again :D

Darkbeer
08-14-2007, 09:18 PM
Remember, Bats Day is always the first Sunday that the SoCal AP's are not blocked out after summer blockout period. So let alone will you have a large amount of Goth's in attendance, you will also have a large amount of locals who have been blocked out for almost 2 months and are looking forwad to returning to the park, and riding Nemo, which they have seen advertised all summer long.

Be prepared for large crowds all week, starting Sunday due to the lifting of AP Blockouts for the SoCal AP holders.

kranders
08-15-2007, 08:32 AM
We went during Bat's day 2 years ago and watched during their group photo in front of the castle. They couldn't have had more than 100 folks for the picture so I wouldn't think they would add significantly the total crowd.

atrder9901
08-15-2007, 08:38 AM
I have a friend who is going to Disneyland with her kids for the first time this Sunday. Just how much does Bat Day affect attendance? And also, is it THIS sunday that the blackout is lifted? Should I maybe warn her to wait til Monday? She has never been to Disneyland, and she is already worried about how it will go.

Just to clarify, is Bat day just Sunday, or the entire weekend?

adriennek
08-15-2007, 08:53 AM
We went during Bat's day 2 years ago and watched during their group photo in front of the castle. They couldn't have had more than 100 folks for the picture so I wouldn't think they would add significantly the total crowd.

This reminds me of when people worry about MouseAdventure affecting attendance. It's only a few hundred people compared to the 10s of 1000s already there.

Adrienne

Darkbeer
08-15-2007, 09:09 AM
I have a friend who is going to Disneyland with her kids for the first time this Sunday. Just how much does Bat Day affect attendance? And also, is it THIS sunday that the blackout is lifted? Should I maybe warn her to wait til Monday? She has never been to Disneyland, and she is already worried about how it will go.

Just to clarify, is Bat day just Sunday, or the entire weekend?

First off, Bats Day is a multi-day event, but much of the events are held off property. Sunday is the main day when the group spends the day inside of Disneyland.

Here is a link to their official site and their schedule...

http://www.batsday.net/

And yes, THIS Sunday (August 19th) is the first Sunday that is not blocked out for SoCal AP holders, so it will bring in a LOT of AP holders that won't be part of Bats Day, in fact, IMHO, the lifting of the blockout will have a much stronger impact than the 1 to 2 thousand folks that will be part of Bats Day.

But the Bats Day folks always pick the first Sunday that the SoCal AP holders are not blocked out to allow the Goths with SoCal AP's to join in on the fun. And is a reason why there won't be much impact on the prior few days, since the SoCal AP is blocked out from today thru Saturday the 18th.

lala1486
08-16-2007, 09:09 AM
This reminds me of when people worry about MouseAdventure affecting attendance. It's only a few hundred people compared to the 10s of 1000s already there.

Adrienne

Actually, according to the website, last year they had over 1100 people present and are expecting higher numbers this year, so I figure that would make some sort of a difference throughout the weekend.

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone :D

VickiC
08-16-2007, 09:16 AM
I believe average weekend attendance is something like 40K so another 1100 people who are mostly not going on rides, really isn't signifigant.