PDA

View Full Version : Rides for a motion sickness person

Pages : [1] 2

tigger08
08-13-2007, 01:22 PM
We are taking a gal that gets sick very easy because of motion. we are actually worried about how she is going to do on the trip down there. Can anyone give me a list of rides that she should ride and which ones she shouldn't. She's not from the states so this will be her first trip to Disneyland and we would like to make it memorable and fun for her. YOu think she could handle Grizzle river run, and splash mountain?

mistofviolets
08-13-2007, 01:32 PM
She might consider wearing motion sick bracelets (a little wristband with a marble in it to press an acupressure point) They really help :)

Most of Fantasyland (avoid the cups) should be okay. Tiki room is an obvious choice. Don't miss Aladdin in DCA.

tigger08
08-13-2007, 01:46 PM
where can I get the motion sickness brackletts? Will she have to see a dr before she can get them?

Mrs Mouse
08-13-2007, 02:29 PM
I would definitely recommend staying away from Star Tours. I have only slight motion sickness and this ride gets me to the point of vomitting. Soarin' Over California is also a motion simulator type of ride, so this may be one that could induce some queasiness. It is much tamer than Star Tours, however.

The teacups could certainly cause some motion sickness, but it is possible to keep them from spinning incessantly, if she does want to ride them. If any repetitive circular motion makes her feel ill, she may want to avoid Astro Orbiters, Dumbo, Orange Stinger and the swing-type ride in Bug's Land (sorry, name escapes me).

Another one that could cause trouble is Space Mountain, simply because you are in the dark, can not see where you are going and there are stars swirling around all over the place.

tigger08
08-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks Miss Mouse. Space mountain made me very sick so I wasn't about to put her on that one. Thanks for all of your great tips.

SCSarah
08-13-2007, 03:04 PM
Having gone with people who get motion sickness if they walk too fast (okay, it's not that bad, but it's pretty bad!), I'm not sure I'd take her on GRR. I still haven't been on it, but it doesn't look like you have much control over the round ride car...so there's a chance she might end up backwards on the ride...which sounds like it would not be good with her motion sickness. So that might be one to take a look at before you get on it.

Hope you have a great time though!

Sarah

Bytebear
08-13-2007, 03:04 PM
The teacups could certainly cause some motion sickness, but it is possible to keep them from spinning incessantly, if she does want to ride them. If any repetitive circular motion makes her feel ill, she may want to avoid Astro Orbiters, Dumbo, Orange Stinger and the swing-type ride in Bug's Land (sorry, name escapes me).

Flicks Flyers and the lady bug ride are both spinners.

I would say do Roger Rabbit but don't spin the car. I sometimes get sick watching the other car though if they are spinning a lot. The Teacups and Astro Oribtors are the only other ones that really get me. Dumbo, Flick's Flyers and the ladybugs really weren't bad for me. but I don't know why.

flyers fan
08-13-2007, 03:09 PM
I get very motion sickness also...I find the sea bands do help...but they are not fool proof! You can buy them at any drug store...or walmart. I also use bonamine, its a motion sickness medication, for I can't take gravol, it knocks me out..but bonamine does not. Its chewable, and works fast. I stay off star tours, space mountain, and I need to use the bands for the matterhorn. I have problems with soaring over californina in DCA, but do not have a problem with grizzly run. I don't do splash mountian, for I don't like the drop at the end, but that's nothing to do with motion sickness. If she does get the bands, make sure she gets the ball in the right area....Good luck!

atrder9901
08-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Dumbo does it for me. I think it is because I let my son take over the controls and we constantly are going up and down, up and down.

But I will agree with the previous posters and say that Star Tours and the Tea Cups are for sure ones to avoid for people who get motion sickness. Star Tours is by far one of the worst rides for Motion sickness.

DrAlice
08-13-2007, 03:28 PM
I can ride coasters, spinners, droppers (although I don't really like those) with no trouble. I've even made my uncle "iron gut" Lester yell for me to stop spinning the tea cups. But, put me on Star Tours, and I come very close to making it a full sensory experience for everyone involved. Weird, huh?

I brought the "magic bracelets" with me on the last trip, but didn't try them. I was feeling kind of icky from something I ate already and didn't want to push my luck. Hopeful to try them on the next trip.

I guess my long-winded point is, it depends on what kind of motion sick person your friend is. Is she a "simulater puker" (like me) or an "actual motion puker"? ;)

-A

Foodie
08-13-2007, 06:27 PM
I have motion sickness problems too, and I've never had any problems with Splash Mountain. I did have a problem with Soarin' Over California. It's an inner ear thing, the way they tilt you in those chairs. Anything that has to do with spinning or tilting, it's best to stay away from, in general.

Good luck!
-Foodie :D

mistofviolets
08-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Motion sickness bracelets (sometimes known as sea bands) are available at any drug or mass merchandise store. They're generally with first aid supplies. No rx, no side effects. They work for morning sickness too (at least, to lessen the symptoms, LOL)

I find that any simulator ride is an issue. Although, at least closing your eyes can help.

disneynut
08-13-2007, 10:06 PM
When GRR is spinning, I can get a little nauseous; otherwise, I don't have a problem with it. SOC gets me sick on some days. CS does it every time as does the sunwheel. ToT is also one that I can do but usually end up with a headache afterwards.

In DL, definitely stay away from ST. I find that if I close my eyes through the beginning of SM (the light show), I can handle the rest of the ride okay. Teacups are another one that I avoid altogether. On Roger Rabbit, I just don't do the spin. The carousel is another one that on some days I can do, on others I can't.

tigger08
08-14-2007, 05:05 AM
Thanks you all. I talked to her mom yesterday and she said that she has done rides like the Dumbo one before and has been able to handle those sorta rides just fine. However they didn't have control over the up and down movement the people controlling the rides did and they all lift and lowered together. I am asumming that she will be fine as long as I don't but my youngest son with her.

She's really wanting to do the GRR and Splash so I will check out our drug store and find her these bracletts. Do you know if they work on car rides as well? And if she has to have a new braclett every day or if one works for the whole trip?

Katran
08-14-2007, 05:43 AM
I get motion sickness on rides like Soarin', Star Tours, the Teacups and GRR. Last year I found a liquid called Motion-EZE that worked miracles for me. It was two dollars and some change at Wal-mart. You put a dab behind each ear. I don't know how it works, but I didn't have ANY motion sickness on any of the rides when I used it, except Star Tours, and that was very, very mild.

tigger08
08-14-2007, 06:15 AM
thanks I will take a look into the liquad as well. Maybe I will just take both and see what works best.

MoKat72
08-14-2007, 06:15 AM
I think someone mentioned it once, but I want to stress California Screamin'. I love that ride, but I've never been able to go on it without losing 1/2 a day to dizziness. However, my doctor recommended meclizine a few months back for positional vertigo. It comes in 25mg pills and is available over the counter at the drugstore. It didn't make me nearly as drowsy as some others.

Regardless, if she has a real problem, she might consider getting her doctor to prescribe those behind-the-ear seasickness patches. They make you a little drowsy, but work like a champ!

Drince88
08-14-2007, 06:26 AM
I don't have a problem with most rides, but the end of GRR can be hard if you have to spin too much to get into the 'right' position to line up with the dock.

Another one that I didn't see mentioned is the Sun Wheel - ESPECIALLY the swinging cars, but I would think the non-moving cars might be a problem too.

BIRDGIRLS
08-14-2007, 06:48 AM
Try Nauzene for motion sickness. It's a chewable tablet thingy and it works in within ten minutes. It works for me since I get motion sickness, altitude sickness, and I tend to throw up when I get tired. I DEFINITELY recommend it.

OldDisneyFan
08-14-2007, 07:33 AM
I remember being surprised at how queasy I got on GRR -- it can go around, and around, and around, and ... well, you get the idea. Splash Mountain, however, was no problem - the down part isn't a motion sickness problem for me.

Avoid Star Tours, especially if you just had Mickey Pancakes. Baaad memory here!

mistofviolets
08-14-2007, 08:38 AM
She's really wanting to do the GRR and Splash so I will check out our drug store and find her these bracletts. Do you know if they work on car rides as well? And if she has to have a new braclett every day or if one works for the whole trip?

Yes, they work on car rides. And one set of bracelets is good for as long as you want them. We keep extras in the car. My oldest gets sick just driving the 45 minutes to her dr. But, with the bracelets we had a smooth, eventless 6 hour drive to DL! (we did keep our food intake very light that day, but still.)

CookieBandit
08-14-2007, 08:59 AM
Teacups should be okay - if you don't spin the teacup. You'll still make a few rounds around the platform, but it's definitely not too bad.

I get motion sickness in cars or planes sometimes, but I don't have too much of a problem on rides. One thing that might help (if she ends up on a ride that does become too much for her) - is to close her eyes. I was doing some online reading on motion sickness and I read that one of the main "causes" of motion sickness is that your senses are sensing different things. Like you'll sense motion/turbulence, but your eyes don't see it (like if you're reading a book in a car). Anyway, if you close your eyes, that should help alleviate it a bit.

Katran
08-14-2007, 09:37 AM
I do have to recommend taking more then one motion-sickness-aid product with you. I know the bracelets don't work for me, and I know other people who say products like Dramamine don't work for them. So whatever you choose, make sure you have a "back-up" product.

tigger08
08-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Dranime doesnt' work for her either! That was the only thing that I could think of giving her and then when her mom said that didn't work on her plain ride from Germany to the states two years okay I knew that there had to be other things out there for her to try. I might just stock up on everything that is mention that doesn't need a doc perscription that is and see what works best.:confused:

Glass Slipper
08-14-2007, 10:52 AM
My mother, who is 81 and has a long history of inner ear problems, always goes on the Fantasyland dark rides (Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Snow White, Pinocchio, and Alice), as well as Casey Jr. and Dumbo. She also rides all the boats (Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Mark Twain, Storybookland, etc.) except for Splash Mountain, and that is only because she doesn't think her knees will allow her to squat down so low in the log. Neither one of us will ride Grizzly....too wet! She also rides in the stationary seats on the Sun Wheel and has no problem. She doesn't like Roger Rabbit at all though, and definitely will not even try the Mad Tea Party!