PDA

View Full Version : How diff will it be? Off season compared to next week?

nvmom
08-12-2007, 03:15 PM
We have been to DLR 3 times, all 3 times in early Feb or early/mid Mar. It is quite likely that I may be surprising my dh with a 15th Anniv trip next week. We would be in the park Sun, Mon & Tues (Aug 19-21.) I want to do it so badly... a couples trip sounds so fun... Yet I'm concerned we'll be over whelmed with summer crowds that we're not used to. How will it compare?

Oh, I am pleasantly surprised with the hotel availability for the 2 nights I want. Maybe that means I'm at the end of summer season :)

And, has anyone purchased the online etickets? Thanks.

nvmom

minniemom
08-12-2007, 03:59 PM
I always avoid summer, but can say a couples trip will be awesome. My husband and I went 5 years ago by ourselves & had the best time!!! I hope the best for you!!

kikid
08-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Yet I'm concerned we'll be over whelmed with summer crowds that we're not used to. How will it compare?
You didn't mention if you were staying onsite. The advantage of staying onsite is being able to walk back to your hotel when the parks get to crowded/hot! Have lunch, sit by the pool, enjoy a movie in DTD...then head back to the parks after dark!

And, has anyone purchased the online etickets? Thanks.
Yes. It's very easy, and very convienient!
Have a wonderful anniversary trip!:)

Katran
08-12-2007, 04:31 PM
See if you can find out if local schools are back in session next week. That will help ease crowding.

I've also purchased my tickets online (several times) and always found it to be fast, easy and very convenient. I highly recommend it (not to mention you can often get discounted prices if you buy in advance online).

nvmom
08-12-2007, 09:14 PM
No, we will not stay on property. The budget doesn't allow for that :) We will be walking distance though.

I'm sure we can survive the summer crowds. We've really never tried the water rides or enjoyed a warm evening at DLR. Plus, it's just us... without the agenda I usually have in my head when it's a family trip.

nvmom

DizneyMommy
08-13-2007, 05:31 AM
Sorry, local schools do not go back until the last week of Aug/ First week Sept. Some schools a little farther away like Riverside or LA area have year round school and may or may not be on a break depending on which track they are on.

More than likely all those local SoCal pass holders will be hiting the park for one last day before school starts during the week the OP is there. I have several friends with those passes and that plan!

CV12Pirate
08-13-2007, 07:07 AM
From what I have read here, the 19th is the first day the SoCal AP holders can get back into the park after two+ months of blackout. So yes, the 19th to the 21st should be packed with SoCal AP holders chomping at the bit.

nvmom
08-13-2007, 07:09 AM
Maybe this is a bad idea? I've got to decide today though.

nvmom

LostBoy02
08-13-2007, 07:20 AM
Local Schools go back into session on Sep. 4th. As for crowds, it just all depends on what you want to do when you hit DLR. If youre a ride fanatic, summer is not the best time of year to go. If youre more of a shopper/show lover like me then summer is ideal. All shows are in full swing and Disney has their best CM's working the park. Park hours are great and the weather is beautiful.

It all depends on what youd like to accomplish while youre there.

CV12Pirate
08-13-2007, 07:28 AM
Maybe this is a bad idea? I've got to decide today though.

nvmom

Okay, I just checked the Disney calander. The 25th is the last day they are open from 8am to midnight. It's your last chance this season to go for full operating hours.

I say... GO FOR IT!

DizneyMommy
08-13-2007, 07:55 AM
Local Schools go back into session on Sep. 4th.

That's an awfully broad statement, though. Each school district in the local area (by that I mean LA, Orange County and Riverside, as all three have a lot of AP's) sets it's own start day and a lot of them are different than the 4th, but most are somewhere between the 27th and the 7th. Garden Grove and Long Beach for instance are starting on the 5th, some HB schools are starting on the 6th, Huntington Beach High Schools as well as many others go back on the 30th, Anaheim itself is year round and all of the schools are in session, the last one went back on August 7th. Santa Ana, Orange and Fullerton are back on the 30th, almost all of Riverside goes back on the 27th or one day that week, and LA is a big mess of various schedules but most of the year round schools are all in session already. Basically after the 25th of August, when the park hours are cut down, most local people with kids are either headed back to school or to the mall for clothes, not Disneyland, and the park should be noticeable quieter.

CV12Pirate
08-13-2007, 08:00 AM
That's an awfully broad statement, though. Each school district in the local area (by that I mean LA, Orange County and Riverside, as all three have a lot of AP's) sets it's own start day and a lot of them are different than the 4th, but most are somewhere between the 27th and the 7th. Garden Grove and Long Beach for instance are starting on the 5th, some HB schools are starting on the 6th, Huntington Beach High Schools as well as many others go back on the 30th, Anaheim itself is year round and all of the schools are in session, the last one went back on August 7th. Santa Ana, Orange and Fullerton are back on the 30th, almost all of Riverside goes back on the 27th or one day that week, and LA is a big mess of various schedules but most of the year round schools are all in session already. Basically after the 25th of August, when the park hours are cut down, most local people with kids are either headed back to school or to the mall for clothes, not Disneyland, and the park should be noticeable quieter.

Yes, it will be quieter. There will also be less to do because that's when they start shutting things down to get ready for Halloween. Then shut down after Halloween to get ready for Christmas.

It's all there in the Disney schedule and MP updates.

CookieBandit
08-13-2007, 08:31 AM
I've been to DL 3 times this summer (all on saturdays, June 23rd, July 14? and just this past saturday). The crowds have been surprisingly good. Maybe it's the way we plan out our day (we head for Splash/Pirates/Haunted first, while I guess everyone goes to Fantasyland?) or maybe everyone is standing in line for the subs. Whatever it is, it's great. Our longest line on Sat was Buzz Lightyear AstroBlasters (25 minutes, just before noon) but the wait time later in the afternoon was just 15 minutes. We didn't ride Space or Indy, but we could have easily gotten FPs for those two (we only got FPs for Splash and Big Thunder - and that was just to ride them a second time).

Not sure how things will change once APers are back in to the mix, though. But if you take advantage of FPs, crowds should not be a problem.

The Red Head
08-13-2007, 10:29 AM
I don't know about the 20th & 21st, but the 19th should be fairly busy. Not only is the first weekend the blocked out passes can come back, it is also Bats Day.

nvmom
08-13-2007, 10:41 AM
What is Bats Day?

We're not huge ride people...we love the shows & parades just as much.. and the food :) It occurs to me that we would be able to see Elec Parade. I assume it's realistic using FP to get on at least 3 big rides a day??

nvmom

annieb727
08-13-2007, 10:55 AM
You should definitely go...to go on a couple's trip in busy season vs. NOT going on a couples trip? No question in my mind. Plus you'd get to see the electrical parade as you already mentioned. You won't have to do the things the KIDS want to do, and just see the things YOU want to do. I say go for it.

LostBoy02
08-13-2007, 12:23 PM
What is Bats Day?

We're not huge ride people...we love the shows & parades just as much.. and the food :) It occurs to me that we would be able to see Elec Parade. I assume it's realistic using FP to get on at least 3 big rides a day??

nvmom

Well then thats perfect and you should definitely go. If youre worried about getting only on the major rides then get them done early. Things like POtC/HM/JC etc. are quick and easy and the lines are rarely unbearable. SM/Splash/Indy are the ones you have to have a FP for.

DLR is a blast in summer. There are so many different kinds of people there its entertaining just to meet/watch them. Not to mention the Ice Cream is extra tasty and dark rides nice and cool. One thing i do recommend is avoid Fantasyland like the plague ;). Things get crazy in there between all the kids, heat, and tired parents.

MermaidHair
08-13-2007, 06:03 PM
I will be there at that time on a couples trip. I have bought Ridemax and plan on avoiding most rides between noon and 8 pm. Pleanty of time to shop, catch shows, have nice relaxing meals and hang out with my sweetie - all things that would not be as enjoyable with the kidlets in tow. I couldn't be more excited! Of course, I have to hold it in a bit because my kids do not know where we are going, only that we are going to "Los Angeles". They are 4 and 6 so they have not clued in yet to what is near LA . . .

Hope to see you there NVMom. Clearly I think it is a fine time to visit!

MermaidHair
08-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Forgot to add that Bats Day is Goth day in the park.

Mermaid
08-13-2007, 06:31 PM
If it makes you feel better, most Arizona schools started last week or today!

The Red Head
08-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Oh yes, Bats Day is an unofficial Goth day at the park. Here is a website that tells more about it. batsday.net/home/home.htm (http://www.batsday.net/home/home.htm)

Katran
08-14-2007, 05:30 AM
If it makes you feel better, most Arizona schools started last week or today!

Yeah, that will help with the crowds a bit, as it's only a few hours' drive (or less than an hour's flight) from Arizona. I'd say Arizona probably makes up Disneyland's second biggest source of tourist dollars (after CA locals), but that's strictly my guess.