PDA

View Full Version : CMs in Costume but outside resort

Pages : [1] 2

Kevin Yee
07-10-2002, 12:43 AM
So the other day I saw a CM in vague Tomorrowland costume (can't tell the difference between TL ODV, Foods, or Attractions, plus I'm lazy about learning the differences) who was out on Haster (this is one of the streets which borders the Cast parking lot).

Over at Haster and Chapman, to be precise, in front of a Wienerschnitzel. We soon realized she was waiting for a bus, as this was a bus stop. She must have walked the mile or so from the Cast Lot to come here.

As she waited, she was leaning/sitting on a wall there, in full costume, with even her nametag still on. Her shirt was untucked. Thankfully, she wasn't smoking, but otherwise, it looked the epitome of everything they used to tell us not to do onstage.

I know she's not "onstage" technically - but still. This is the stuff we knew would happen once DL started doing FastTrack (the program where CMs take their costumes home every day instead of using permanent lockers). It's just dismaying to actually see it.

Rallymonkey23
07-10-2002, 12:58 AM
I have seen several of CM's at the Arco station behind DL wearing their "costumes". I think CM's should understand that when they are sooo close to DL, and they wear their "costumes", tehy just might be taking away some of the "magic" for some tourist.

Disney should really think about eliminating FastTrack IMO.

marron-cream
07-10-2002, 01:44 AM
I have seen several of CM's at the Arco station behind DL wearing their "costumes". I think CM's should understand that when they are sooo close to DL, and they wear their "costumes", tehy just might be taking away some of the "magic" for some tourist.

Disney should really think about eliminating FastTrack IMO.

They will never eliminate FastTrack. Are you kidding? It saves them so much work. CMs like me, who work only in a certain area, tend to launder our costumes at home. They don't have to do a thing for us.

I'm guilty of getting gas while in my costume. When my tank is empty, I'm not going to putter home to change into street clothes and then push my car to the nearest station. It takes me all of five minutes to fill the tank. I do my best not to "destroy" any magic for anyone. And believe me, the costume I wear is NOT something I'm dying to be seen in.

Polar33
07-10-2002, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by marron-cream
And believe me, the costume I wear is NOT something I'm dying to be seen in.

I hear ya. I don't know what some of the folks who ride on the bus in their costume are thinking. When FastTrack first came out the only reason I didn't sign up was I didn't want to be stuck on a public bus for an hour talking to some complete stranger about working for Disneyland. Now that I drive, I have to use FastTrack so that I can park at the lot that is nearest to the vending office. Plus with the main costuming location closed on Wednesdays (and the other two locations closed on Tuesdays and Thursdays) it makes it hard for people to not be on FastTrack.

However I do admit to getting gas a few times in costume and an occaisional trip to Dennys. But keep in mind it is at about 2 in the morning and atleast 2 blocks away from the resort...plus at that time the only other people in the restaraunt are CMs anyways.

FastTrack won't be going anywhere. I do wish that they would crack down on the people who are hanging out in 15 minute parking in costume smoking and whatnot...but once the CMs are off property Disney has no ability to have any say over what they do.

[Moderator's note: vB code in quoted material fixed. --Lani]

Uncle Dick
07-10-2002, 02:50 AM
The other day, on the way to PFCU, I saw a Main Entrance CM walking in full costume (untucked, I might add) in front of Edison Field, smoking. Saw two chicks in the generic Disneyland Resort GC polo shirt and blue pants walking into the Food 4 Less on Katella about a week ago. And, of course, there are plenty of CMs who bike to and from work in full costume.

Funny thing is, Disneyland actually PAYS people to walk/bike/bus to and from work with the Commuter Assistance program. I recently saw a list of Fast Track rules in one of the break rooms. Basically, any minor errands that are would normally be done to and from work (i.e. getting gas, dropping off packages/passengers, etc.) are fine as long as the CM isn't wearing their nametag and are not mixing any part of their "street clothes" with the costume.

Personally, I kind of like Fast Track. It saves a lot of time coming to and leaving work. And I, too, am guilty of gassing up at one in the morning. The overwhelming fruitiness of my costume prevents me from showing myself in public during the waking hours.

coronamouseman
07-10-2002, 05:11 AM
Applying the old "WWWW" (What Would Walt Want) standard to this situation:

(1) On almost every trip to the park I have made in the last couple of years, I have observed at least one instance each trip of some CM walking through one of the lands in a costume from a different land. This kind of detail thing was rumored to have driven Walt Disney crazy (in one of the E-Ticket magazines one of the writers talked about driving a pickup truck along an access road in the back area of Frontierland which caused Walt to go nuts when he heard about it). Sure, I might be looking for this type of thing when I go because I'm one of those pesky APs but you can see the reaction from the other guests in this situation as being somewhat surprised as well ("Hey Mom, look at the pirate walking down the middle of Tomorrowland!)

(2) Frequently you see CMs walking around with lunch coolers or other personal items. Again, nobody is against CMs having lunch but a cowboy or a pirate or an "Indy" CM carrying a cooler does eat into the magic

(3) On a couple of times in the last few years I have seen Disney CMs in costume outside the area of the park. I'm sure it is convenient and saves the company money but it sure does run the risk of taking away some of the magic of the park. Applying the old WWWW principle here, however, may not seem as clear cut as it might. Walt was a businessman as much as a showman and DL has almost always been a battleground for unions and labor issues, so it is not that clear whether Walt would have been against such a policy that saved the park (and the company) money - but he probably would have been against something which in some way cut into the magic and mystery of visting the park and having CMs run around and do everyday tasks outside of the parks would seem to fall into that category.

MammaSilva
07-10-2002, 06:57 AM
I have to say while I can understand the finacial issues with fasttrack......walking past that covered bus stop that is just a few feet away from the Ped crosswalk on Harbor and seeing CM's in Toon Town costumes was a bit hard on the kids, they thought Mickey was nearby and started asking for him......(for those of you who don't know our last trip was a group of special needs troops :()

hbquikcomjamesl
07-10-2002, 07:37 AM
. . . some CM walking through one of the lands in a costume from a different land. This kind of detail thing was rumored to have driven Walt Disney crazy. . .

. . . and was a major reason why WDW-MK was built on an artificial ground surface, with a full basement.

Let's face it, without Utilidors, that sort of thing is lamentable, but unavoidable.

And BTW, "marron-cream," your statement that your costume is not something you are dying to be seen in piqued my curiosity.

disguy
07-10-2002, 08:04 AM
It dosen't bother me any. I mean you guys just work there it's just a job your still regualr people who need to get gas,hang out etc...I've got plenty of times to the store or dinner or gas in my work clothes. Now, if you come walking into Food 4 Less with a rubber mickey head on well, that would be a little weird.

marron-cream
07-10-2002, 09:40 AM
Applying the old "WWWW" (What Would Walt Want) standard to this situation:

(1) On almost every trip to the park I have made in the last couple of years, I have observed at least one instance each trip of some CM walking through one of the lands in a costume from a different land. This kind of detail thing was rumored to have driven Walt Disney crazy (in one of the E-Ticket magazines one of the writers talked about driving a pickup truck along an access road in the back area of Frontierland which caused Walt to go nuts when he heard about it). Sure, I might be looking for this type of thing when I go because I'm one of those pesky APs but you can see the reaction from the other guests in this situation as being somewhat surprised as well ("Hey Mom, look at the pirate walking down the middle of Tomorrowland!)

I've heard that too. But until they put that giant tunnel system under the park, this problem ain't going away. For example, when I'm lugging what truly feels like a hundred pounds of quarters and a couple of heavy boxes of pennies back to my area in the blistering heat, wearing a very heavy polyester skirt, shirt, and vest, and fighting my way through thousands of seemingly blind stroller pushers, my priority (I know, it's wrong) is finding the shortest route back so I can prevent any further dislocation of my shoulders.

marron-cream
07-10-2002, 09:49 AM
And BTW, "marron-cream," your statement that your costume is not something you are dying to be seen in piqued my curiosity.

Nothing too exciting, just the Fantasyland Stores costume. I did once get asked if I belonged to a cult because of it!:rolleyes:

justagrrl
07-10-2002, 10:58 AM
A saw a CM from Haunted Mansion in Stater Bros a month or two ago. I caught it out of the corner of my eye while going down an aisle and I couldn't help but stare...almost like she was a celebrity. ha haha When I saw her in line at the front I refrained from telling her that "I know where you work!"

But then I really love the Haunted Mansion ride so maybe that's why I thought it was sort of cool....weird seeing her in Stater Bros...but still cool somehow too.

tinkfreak
07-10-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by marron-cream
[B] For example, when I'm lugging what truly feels like a hundred pounds of quarters and a couple of heavy boxes of pennies back to my area in the blistering heat, wearing a very heavy polyester skirt, shirt, and vest, and fighting my way through thousands of seemingly blind stroller pushers, my priority (I know, it's wrong) is finding the shortest route back so I can prevent any further dislocation of my shoulders.

I hear ya sister! You do have one of those "herbies" for lugging coin, right? You know where to find me if you need to borrow ours!

I will never, never go on Fast Track. I don't need to give my Hick neighbors another excuse to gawk at me. I agree with all of you, it so ruins the magic.

ChipmunkStar
07-10-2002, 11:33 AM
I dunno, ya'all. It's kind of hard not to go on FastTrack due to the closing of Costuming on Wednesdays and their satellite locations on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It's weird walking into a completely empty Costuming building with a few (Meaning 9 to 12) CMs around not doing anything (If you're gonna close a location, close it. Don't give people the chance to use it anyways!)

But I don't make it a habit of hanging out daily in my work gear. I mean, with all brutal honesty, the costumes are ugly. I definitely wouldn't wanna go to like an Angel Game in ANY of the costumes! It is an added convenience though, that you don't have to go through Costuming daily to get a costume and take more time up (and maybe end up late!), or get up in the morning, get dressed in costume, get to work and go straight to location.

tinkfreak
07-10-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by ChipmunkStar
It's weird walking into a completely empty Costuming building with a few (Meaning 9 to 12) CMs around not doing anything

Yeah, but that's what it's like when they're open too...talk about overstaffed! I could use half of their labor in my locations and they'd still be fine.

hbquikcomjamesl
07-10-2002, 12:52 PM
They just need to install a whole bunch of phone booths. After all, they were good enough for Superman to change in. ;)

PhilMP
07-10-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by tinkfreak

Yeah, but that's what it's like when they're open too...talk about overstaffed! I could use half of their labor in my locations and they'd still be fine.

LOL, whenever I walk in there, I see about 3 people actually working and about 20 walking around aimlessly not doing anything.

If I didn't gag at the smell of the costuming building, I'd actually think about working there...they do less work than Custodial :)

Phil

MonorailMan
07-10-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
They just need to install a whole bunch of phone booths. After all, they were good enough for Superman to change in. ;)

Well, there you go! ;)

Getting back on topic, I have seen many CMs out late at night, in costume. Saw one a McDonalds last trip. (Looked like a Paradise Pier/ Mulholland Madness CM)

RStar
07-10-2002, 03:55 PM
You know, this isn't one of the biggies on my list. I see Mac Donalds crew walking down the street or taking busses all the time and no one says anything. Ok, bad annalagy, but hey , the point is CMs are people too (except you Kevin- last I heard you were the anti-christ:D) and they come and go to work. It doesn't bother me (I've never been a CM BTW). Just to let you know that the magic isn't spoiled for me because of that.

P.S.- Kevin

We will all regret these jokes at this up comming MadScramble, won't we:) .

Bob

Bill Catherall
07-10-2002, 04:10 PM
Disneyland is not McDonalds. A CM is not just an employee. It's a show...they're a cast member. Could you imagine going to a play and when it's over seeing some of the cast go home wearing their costumes? What if you went to go fill your car with gas and ran into a member of Cats in full costume at the gas station? It would and should never happen. So why is it ok for Disneyland?

RStar
07-10-2002, 05:10 PM
Of course Bill. That's why I said it was a bad analogy, I understand the "show" concept. But as a person who never worked it, ( from the outside looking in) it doesn't "take away the magic" for me. Do I think Disneyland costumes should not be worn outside the park? Absolutly. I belive in trying to "put on the best show possible". I was just trying to give a view from the other side of the berm. I still do agree with you and Kevin.

And sorry for the bad analogy;)

Bob

Durliin
07-10-2002, 05:17 PM
I was on Fast Track when they Took my Locker away but I would Bring my Costume to work with me and change there....Im not gonna take a bus home or Drive Down the Street wearing a THunder Costume or Back in the Day the old Parkinglot costume the one before the current one... I also went on Fasttrack becasue it use to take 30 minutes Just to get a Costume.. But now they have Costume Shopping where you go into the Building Pick up the costume you need and scan out...and it only Takes 5 Minutes and you Get the Exact Costume you want instead of getting Dirty or riped ones from the Costuming CMs...So I droped FastTrack... I persoanlly think FastTrack needs to go away becasue with Costume Shopping around and the fact that they have a few Thousand Day Lockers arund the place its not a hastle anymore to get a clean costume from Qork..

tabacco
07-10-2002, 06:04 PM
I would agree with you if it weren't for the fact that costuming is closed on Wednesdays.

Durliin
07-10-2002, 06:23 PM
well they need to stop being cheap and be open Wed they do way less work now then they use to

Fngoofy
07-10-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
Disneyland is not McDonalds. A CM is not just an employee. It's a show...they're a cast member. Could you imagine going to a play and when it's over seeing some of the cast go home wearing their costumes? What if you went to go fill your car with gas and ran into a member of Cats in full costume at the gas station? It would and should never happen. So why is it ok for Disneyland?

You know.... I'm sure you are aware of it, but CM's are just like you and me!! And once they leave work they want out of their uniforms just like any other worker!! We should all understand that, and cut them some slack!! Has it effected your visits to Disney!! Has it taken away YOUR magic.... I agree with the inside policy of not walking through the wrong park in costume!! Adults should understand this, and the children will probably not even pay much attention!! It's not like you have seen 1000's of CM walking all over the city in uniform. It will be noticable for while, because it's new, but it will soon pass!! Hey, take a "Keys To The Kingdom Tour", You can see Mickey with no head.... I did... I'm still here, and not in therapy, and I still love Disney as much as ever!!! As long as the CM's are not running around the city pumping gas in a character costume, we will have to live with it!!