PDA

View Full Version : Cove Bar closed until further notice

Darkbeer
08-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Stopped by the Cove Bar today, and was told by the Host at Ariel's Grotto that the Cove Bar is closed until further notice. He also stated they were not told why the Bar was closed. Ariel's Grotto remains open.

If anyone knows why, please let us know.

Foodie
08-10-2007, 09:16 PM
How odd. Are the two actually part of the same restaurant or are they considered completely separate? I never made it into Ariel's Grotto in my last trip. If it was some sort of sanitation issue like a failed health inspection, you'd think the entire place would be shut down, not just the bar. But if they're considered separate, I suppose they could close down the bar and keep the restaurant open. That is very interesting...I'd like to know the reason too!

-Foodie :confused:

Mr.Abominable
08-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Well that is a bummer, the Cove bar is our afternoon re-fueling station. Hope they work it out before Sept. 2nd.

Darkbeer
08-11-2007, 06:06 AM
Sounds like they had a major bee problem, and are trying to deal with it.

Crazy4DL
08-11-2007, 06:20 AM
Sounds like they had a major bee problem, and are trying to deal with it.

Oh. . . that is good news. . . well I mean, hopefully that is a problem that they can take care of and reopen fairly soon. I have never been but had plans to check the place out in Sept. I hear they make a great mojitio. :)

Thanks for the info, Darkbeer.

tigga please
08-11-2007, 03:11 PM
oh man, i hope its resolved by next week!

carolinakid
08-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Was there in May & loved it! Is it normally open in December?

Darkbeer
08-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Was there in May & loved it! Is it normally open in December?

Weekends only for the first half, and then daily during peak schedule for the last half of December.

sharkie90278
08-17-2007, 07:56 AM
Dang, I hope it reopens soon! That's my favorite resting place!!

Darkbeer
08-17-2007, 08:25 AM
The Cove Bar has REOPENED, and was serving drinks yesterday afternoon.

Heck, even the bartenders really don't know why they place was closed for over a week...

But it is open, though not sure how much longer it will remain open 7 days a week, sometime soon, it will go back to Friday thru Sunday operation for the off-season. And more than likely will not open on the Fridays in October when the Mickey's Halloween Treat events are being held. (No MHT events on Saturday and Sunday, so the Cove Bar should be open).

Darkbeer
08-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Ok, I got the answer as to why the Cove Bar was closed for a few days a couple of weeks ago...

The majority of Bartenders and other staff all put in requests to take time off, and all of it was approved. They all headed off to Las Vegas for a deserved weekend of fun and relaxation.

So there was very little regular staff available to open the bar, though a few remaining CM's were willing to do what they could to staff the location.

So instead of finding other available bartenders that could come over and work the Cove Bar for the weekend from other locations in the Resort, the Ariel's Grotto/Cove Bar Managers decided to just close the bar for a busy Summer Weekend instead.

So that is the story, and keeping it simple is the probably the best.

barely
08-23-2007, 08:31 PM
WOW! Is that for real?! :D Never would have guessed.

Darkbeer
08-23-2007, 08:40 PM
WOW! Is that for real?! :D Never would have guessed.

Yes, I confirmed it from multiple people that work the location (some that went to Vegas, some that didn't).

It was a tough decision to post the info, but I think that the poor (IMHO) decision by management needed to be made public.

Andrew
08-23-2007, 08:49 PM
It was a tough decision to post the info
A tough decision by you? Why?

Darkbeer
08-23-2007, 08:55 PM
A tough decision by you? Why?

Because I know some of the managers at the location.

Foodie
08-23-2007, 09:05 PM
I don't know that it was a poor decision necessarily. It's better than disappointing employees by making them change their plans or taking back previously made promises. It's tough enough to get time off at all in the restaurant world that I can completely support closing down for a week for everyone to get their vacation time. But that's just my two-cents worth!

-Foodie :)

Darkbeer
08-23-2007, 09:12 PM
I don't know that it was a poor decision necessarily. It's better than disappointing employees by making them change their plans or taking back previously made promises. It's tough enough to get time off at all in the restaurant world that I can completely support closing down for a week for everyone to get their vacation time. But that's just my two-cents worth!

-Foodie :)

HUH???

The place was closed during Summer Peak. It is one thing to close a place in the off-season (and they only operate the location on weekends during that period), but to not find staff to operate the location, and they have bartenders that work the restuarant downstairs that could have been moved upstairs for a few days, and also the Vineyard Room has multiple bartenders on staff and available that could have been moved over, plus many other CM bartenders that have worked in DCA for private events.

And then have the Host stand for Ariel's Grotto claim the Bar was closed "until further notice" instead of admitting the fact the place would be closed until Tuesday.

Not what I would call "Excellent Customer Service".

danyoung
08-24-2007, 07:15 AM
I work in a 7 man department of a Texas state university. I simply can't imagine any situation that would allow us to close completely for a week so that everyone could take a vacation at the same time. It simply isn't done in the real world. Why would Disney, in a situation where hundreds or even thousands of people would be disappointed by the closure, allow this incredibly poor situation to occur? The mistake obviously was in approving all of those CMs' vacations at the same time. Once the problem was discovered, management should have gone oops and readjusted times to where the location would stay open. Simply unbelievable! Can you imagine the Matterhorn closing cuz all the crew were off on vacation? Ridiculous. Very bad form, Disney!

Pat-n-Eil
08-24-2007, 07:51 AM
I work in a 7 man department of a Texas state university. I simply can't imagine any situation that would allow us to close completely for a week so that everyone could take a vacation at the same time. It simply isn't done in the real world. Why would Disney, in a situation where hundreds or even thousands of people would be disappointed by the closure, allow this incredibly poor situation to occur? The mistake obviously was in approving all of those CMs' vacations at the same time. Once the problem was discovered, management should have gone oops and readjusted times to where the location would stay open. Simply unbelievable! Can you imagine the Matterhorn closing cuz all the crew were off on vacation? Ridiculous. Very bad form, Disney!

Actually...

Several vendors that I use to order material close shop for a week.. Sometimes at Christmas, sometimes in the spring.. They make it known to their customers and so you either place your orders early - or wait until they return.

The timing of this seems odd to me being peak season, but then again try working with European companies. The whole month of August is a crap shoot due to so many vacations.

danyoung
08-24-2007, 07:54 AM
While I realize that some business do indeed conduct business in that way, they always make it known to their customers when they are closed how they need to respond to have continuous service. That's a far cry from closing down a favorite watering hole for many DCA regulars over a scheduling error. I stand by my statement - very bad form!

AVP
08-24-2007, 08:46 AM
That's a far cry from closing down a favorite watering hole for many DCA regulars over a scheduling error.So... like 4 people?

AVP
-ducking and running

shadyln
08-24-2007, 09:56 AM
HUH???

The place was closed during Summer Peak. It is one thing to close a place in the off-season (and they only operate the location on weekends during that period), but to not find staff to operate the location, and they have bartenders that work the restuarant downstairs that could have been moved upstairs for a few days, and also the Vineyard Room has multiple bartenders on staff and available that could have been moved over, plus many other CM bartenders that have worked in DCA for private events.

And then have the Host stand for Ariel's Grotto claim the Bar was closed "until further notice" instead of admitting the fact the place would be closed until Tuesday.

Not what I would call "Excellent Customer Service".

I've got to agree - this was not a brilliant business move.

Mr.Abominable
08-24-2007, 10:08 AM
So... like 4 people?

AVP
-ducking and running

Well I am one of the four!!!!!!!!:)