PDA

View Full Version : Trip Highlight--August 5th-August 9th

ktrm
08-10-2007, 10:30 AM
Just came back from DL and had a great time. I am just going to list the highlights and write a formal trip report later

1. Stayed at the Howard Johnson thanks to suggestions of MP readers. Stayed in Bldg. 2 which is very quiet and peaceful. This is a very clean hotel and well maintained. The rooms are extremely large with double sinks in the bathrooms. The pools get pretty busy though and the walk is a bit longer than I would like. The view of the fireworks from the pool is fantastic. The beds were not uncomfortable to me as mentioned by other MP readers but maybe I got lucky. The staff was friendly and very professional. I wish the hotel had microwaves standard in the room or at least a microwave in their little store on site, but alas no. Good, clean, safe, well maintained hotel for the money

2. Finally ate the the River Belle Terrace for breakfast and had the Mickey pancakes. I absolutely loved this. It was so peaceful early in the morning looking out on the lake. AWESOME! This will be a regular thing to do for me.

3. Rode the omnibus top level for the first time down mainstreet. It was fun, but I prefer the cars or the firetruck because there is more interaction with the driver.

4. Ate at Steakhouse 55 and used my annual pass discount. With the 30% discount it is a very good deal. It is an extremely long walk from the Howard Johnson to this restaurant though. The kids prime rib dinner for $11.99 is a great deal. My kid who is a carnivore at heart ate up the very large size piece of perfectly cooked meat. Too bad adults can't order it. This restaurant is good, but not particularly a kid friendly atmosphere. I would suggest going early like I did if you have young children before there are too many customers in the restaurant. Would I go again without the annual pass discount? No. The food was very good but not outstanding. For the price without the discount I would want the food to be out of this world. I ordered the set meal with petite new york steak, garlic potatoes and a dessert tart. The steak was good, the potatoes were pretty good and the tart was kindof yucky. It was a fig tart. Don't get me wrong I love fresh figs, but just not in a tart. I am glad I went to this restaurant to satisfy my curiosity.

5. Took my kids to the Cove Bar in DCA. No problems. Not too many people there. The food was great for the price and actually the atmosphere is very kid friendly. The kids stand at the balcony and look at all the rides in the park. Very fun.

6. Did not even attempt Nemo with a two hour wait. Lots of guests I talked to were angry because they did not think the ride was worth the wait. I did not want to feel like this so I will wait till the lines are shorter.

7. Did Casey Jr. for the first time. I loved this ride with the crazy music. Very fun.

Got to go for now. Will list other highlights later.