PDA

View Full Version : The Walt Disney Story

Cinemascribe
07-09-2002, 10:11 AM
Is anyone familiar with this attraction. I got switched from Canoes to this on Main Street!

I have never seen it. What is the costume like? What is the attraction like? My training on it starts on Friday!

marron-cream
07-09-2002, 10:14 AM
It's Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln. I can't recall the male costume, but the girls wear this blue satin thing. Not one of the more attractive costumes, IMO. Glad I don't work there! :D

Cinemascribe
07-09-2002, 10:18 AM
Gee thanks! That makes me feel a lot better.

Why do they call it "The Walt Disney Story" if it is the Lincoln thing?

merlinjones
07-09-2002, 10:33 AM
Please, if you work at Walt Disney Story, check the facts before giving speeches involving historical information. I have heard some really wrong "facts" in there lately, leading me to believe the CMs are just making stuff up on the spot. One of these:

"See this picture of Lilly Disney? It's one of the only photos to exist, since she was notoriously camera shy." Huh? Want to check out a few books full of Lilly photos in the store down the street? Absurd.

Another time a CM was crediting the theme songs of many rides NOT written by the Shermans to the Shermans (and wasn't happy to get some friendly, quiet, private correction on the side after his speech... instead he blurted on the mike "see that guy over there.. ask him if you want to know something.")

This stuff may not matter to some... but it IS history. Respect it... and the audience.

MonorailMan
07-09-2002, 12:29 PM
Also, (and this is the only time you'll hear this out of me) don't do what Maynard does.

The last 2 times I saw him for WDS, he did tell correct facts, but mumbled, and didn't speak clearly. :)

Disney Nick
07-09-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Also, (and this is the only time you'll hear this out of me) don't do what Maynard does.

The last 2 times I saw him for WDS, he did tell correct facts, but mumbled, and didn't speak clearly. :)
How dare you speak this way about maynard! ;) I've never seen him there, so I wouldn't know. He is by far the best all-around cast-member I've ever seen. Always gets into his roles so much. Anyways, there is one good think about working WDS as opposed to the canoes... AIR CONDITIONING :D

Cinemascribe
07-09-2002, 01:32 PM
Who is Maynard?

Well, I will refrain from making up facts.

Disney Nick
07-09-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Cinemascribe
Who is Maynard?

Well, I will refrain from making up facts.
Ack! Who is Maynard..... ummm let's see. Rather than going into the whole details about his life story, I'll direct you to a web site about him. If you get a chance to work with him, try to take some time to talk to him. He's a very interesting man and very nice too. He's an outstanding CM, who is at his best at the Haunted Mansion. Anyways, here's the site. http://www.maynardhomepage.com

innerSpaceman
07-09-2002, 01:55 PM
Cinemascribe, did you do something naughty to get switched out of canoes to the ultimately more boring Walt Disney Story? Were you not buff enough for the frontiersman canoe boy costume?

Air conditioning will be nice, but I hope tedium will not be more of a problem than heat stroke would have been.

The Walt Disney Story has been decimated by the removal of Walt's office to Florida, and don't even get me started on what they've done to Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln!

What a switch in jobs. Canoes are boisterous and physical; Disney Story is quiet and listless. I cannot think of two more opposite attractions (there's a pun in there somewhere).

Cinemascribe
07-09-2002, 05:38 PM
I can't swim :(

Anyway, I will make sure to get trained on as many attractions as they will allow me.

Maynard- yes, seeing his face I totally recognize him. Met him at the Jungle Cruise- he is an actor playing a CM.

Well, glad to hear everyone thinks my attraction is the most boring in the park! LOL

Matterhorn Fan
07-09-2002, 06:26 PM
I don't think that sounds boring. You don't have to be out in the sun all day, you get to wear a nice formal outfit (coat with tails, right?), and you get to tell people (hopefully true things) about Walt Disney. You're an indoor tour guide! :)

Cinemascribe
07-09-2002, 07:22 PM
I am a girl. So i think i have to wear like a funky dress someone said.. oh well. i am excited anyway.. i love Main Street and I am still considered West Side, so it will be easy to move around once i learn my attraction

Bill Catherall
07-09-2002, 07:57 PM
Hmm... An attraction on the East side of Main Street is considered West side? So what are all the West side attractions? Is it just broken down East and West, or is there a North too?

Cinemascribe
07-09-2002, 09:15 PM
Well, I was told that main street is park of west side, and that tomorrowland fantasy land and toon town are east- not sure how they work that.. but i am hoping eventually to get to Haunted Mansion and Pirates

AliKzam
07-10-2002, 12:33 AM
The last time I was over there, I saw some neat stuff. It's a bummer they took the one office over to Florida, because I don't remember it. But I will give you some interesting (and true) trivia. Use it or not.

There is a letter written to Walt by Mary Pickford under a glass. According to the Snow White DVD, Mary wanted to play Snow White when Walt was considering doing it as a live-action/animated movie (like the "Alice" comedies). Obviously, things changed.
Many of Mary Pickford's films were written by a woman I've mentioned several times on here by the name of Francis Marion. That probably won't matter to anyone, but it is interesting to know that Mary played several roles we have seen redone in the decades since her time. Among them was Pollyanna.
I hope you find some fun in your new job.

Uncle Dick
07-10-2002, 02:23 AM
Gee thanks! That makes me feel a lot better.

Why do they call it "The Walt Disney Story" if it is the Lincoln thing?
Brief chronology. In 1964, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is presented at the World's Fair. Everyone is amazed by the overwhemling neatness of the Audio Animatronic so in 1965, it's brought to Disneyland and placed in the unused Opera House. Fast forward to 1973. Walt Disney is dead and the novelty of Mr. Lincoln has worn off. So TPTB can Lincoln and open up "The Walt Disney Story" which is a movie/exhibit about Walt's life. Rioting breaks out across the country as Americans are shocked and confused at Lincoln's departure.

In 1975, TPTB decide to have their cake and eat it, too, by bringing Lincoln back into the Opera House and using "The Walt Disney Story" as the "pre-show" (thereby saving face). Hence, The Walt Disney Story featuring "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" is born. At any rate, the attraction is much more "Mr. Lincoln" than "Walt Disney", especially after the last rehab.

(Much information gleaned from Yesterland (http://www.yesterland.com/wdstory.html).)

Matterhorn Fan
07-10-2002, 05:48 AM
I am a girl. So i think i have to wear like a funky dress someone said..Apologies. Someone must have said something that led me to think you were a guy. You probably get puffy sleeves, then. :D

Alice
07-10-2002, 08:13 PM
just to let you know, the WDS is one of my FAVORITE attractions :D good luck!