PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Resort Hotels

Disney Nick
07-09-2002, 09:19 AM
Okay, I have finally decided to splurge for a Disneyland resort hotel when I take my mom and brother to DL on December 15-17. That is a Sunday-Tues (we may stay until Wed, or we may get another hotel for that extra night). I'm wondering what you guys recommend and where I can get the best deals. I have an AP and I've heard you can get some good discounts, especially when you stay on a Sunday night. I really would like to stay at the Grand Californian, but I can't justify over $150-175, and that is even stretching it. I'm about to call the Disney Resort Hotel numbers and see what kind of quotes I can get for AP rates. Is the AP rate cheaper or is trying to use expedia cheaper? I did Orbitz and strangely, it said that the GC had no rooms available :confused: . Also, what kind of beds do the hotels have? I'd need 2 queen beds, as 2 doubles will not be enough. Also do any of the rooms include fridge? Any info and suggestions would be helpful. This will be my first trip to DL in the wintertime and I want to make it perfect! HMH and all the other Christmas festivities (like Believe... Holiday) are in full swing right? I know this is long and I'm planning pretty early, but I can't wait!! Thanks, you guys are the best!

jason
07-09-2002, 09:28 AM
i think all the rooms have a fridge . we usually stay at the PP but have stayed at the DL hotel . its nice to be near the pools , but the grand is incredable , get the park view at the PP or the grand but the pool view at the DL .

any of them are well worth the money , we've stayed off site once and will never do it again !

just phone the hotel and ask for the best deal for socal residents .

mousey_girl
07-09-2002, 09:34 AM
We requested a fridge when we stayed at the PP and didn't get one. When we stayed at DLH we got a fridge, but it didn't work.
This year we will be at GCH and hopefully everything will work!

I was not all that impressed with DLH. I preferred PP, but due to the location, we won't be staying there again.

jason
07-09-2002, 09:40 AM
what was wrong with the location ? i actually prefered the PP ...but i dont have your kind of money !

Disney Nick
07-09-2002, 09:57 AM
Just called DLR Hotel Reservations...

GCH - $225
DLH - $162
PPH - $136

And these are with AP discounts (which was usually only a $25 discount) I really wanted to stay at the GCH, but I don't know if I can justify $450+taxes for a 2 night stay... There is always the old realiable Carousel Inn and Suites! ;) Only $71 a night there.. :D Anyone know if there is a good off-season when you can get good rates for GCH... I'm determined to stay there one of these times.

Not Afraid
07-09-2002, 10:01 AM
We stayed at the GC at the end of January this year for $139, I believe. It was just one night, mid week. I got this rate through a link to Expedia via Mousesavers.com. Expedia usually has the best rates a short while before for your planned dates. Mousesavers will have the most up-to-date information on current deals.

RideMax Mark
07-09-2002, 10:16 AM
Just to follow-up on Not Afraid's post...

You may want to go ahead and reserve Carousel Inn & Suites now (or some other "acceptable" alternative), but then check back with Expedia 1-2 weeks before your trip, and if at that point something's available at the GCH at a price you're willing to pay, grab it and cancel the Carousel reservation.

IIRC, the "specials" at Expedia only show up 1-2 weeks before the actual date of your visit.

hefferdude
07-09-2002, 10:18 AM
Check to see if the AP Sunday special ( $79-$99 @ PP )
will still be honored calling so far ahead. You most likely
will have to pay a higher rate on Monday and Tuesday.
The entire area is :D during the holiday season.

Disney Nick
07-09-2002, 11:48 AM
I was wondering about the AP Super Sunday rates. My first night would be a Sunday and I told the guy I had an AP. Those rates don't seem to be too cheaper though. Does anyone know if these rates get better the longer I wait. I may go ahead and reserve a room at the Carousel Inn & Suites, knowing I can cancel it up to 48 hours in advance, in case a better deal comes up for the GCH. I'd be willing to pay as much as $175/night, and I don't think that's too hard of a price to find, seeing as how the time I'm going is still the "value" season, because it is the week before most schools get out (thank you to college for giving me 3 weeks off!).

So here's my current plan... book Carousel for $71/night and then keep that as my "safe reservation". Then every month or so between now and December, call Disneyland Resort Hotel reservations and check Expedia/Orbitz/Travelocity for a good rate on GCH. If I get a decent price on GCH, I'm going to book it. Even if I book the GCH hotel, I can still cancel it if I find a better deal. Basically I'm playing the use my Credit Card to hold the hotel and hope for a better deal game.... Sound good to you guys?

On another note, I though that December 15-17th would be an off-peak time, but the rates I've been getting at these hotels aren't exactly off-peak prices. Is it possible that it is because I'm looking into them so far out? Do you guys think it will get better within the last 2 months til my trip? Thanks again for the help.

MonorailMan
07-09-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by NMoreles
Okay, I have finally decided to splurge for a Disneyland resort hotel when I take my mom and brother to DL on December 15-17. That is a Sunday-Tues (we may stay until Wed, or we may get another hotel for that extra night).

I'll be there too, were spending Sun to Mon, because Mon. is my B-day.

Disney Nick
07-09-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan

I'll be there too, were spending Sun to Mon, because Mon. is my B-day.
Have fun!

lisap
07-09-2002, 01:26 PM
I don't know if this helps or not, but when you call any DLR hotel to make a reservation, always say "ok, is this the best rate you have? Do you have ANY other deals? Are there any other better rates?' Sometimes you need to ask more than once and ask in different ways before they cough up a special.

But, like Not Afraid, Eandcdad and I have stayed at the GC at a super good rate making the ressie just a few weeks before going. No view, corner room, but still the coolest place we've stayed at the resort.

Good luck!

mousey_girl
07-09-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by jason
what was wrong with the location ? i actually prefered the PP ...but i dont have your kind of money !

I am hoping I am misreading hostility and snotieness in your post...

Location: Too far from the DL main gate. Too far for the monorail station in DTD.
I have a no-longer-stroller-bound 5 yr old, and between him getting tired and the blisters that I always get (no matter what shoes I wear) that walk can be a killer. The resort does not offer any mode of transportaion to make this journey any easier.

Price: Who says I have money? Who are you to decide what I do and do not have? I don't know you and you don't know me, so please refrain from makiing personal attacks on me.
We make 1 trip to DLR a year, it is for The Boy's b-day. This is in-lieu of major gifts. It is our only real family vacation each year. I save for it and plan for it, putting away as much as I can each month to try to keep it off the credit cards. In fact, I am facing layoffs by years end and in a previos post I mentioned that I have already booked the trip for this year (we go in Dec) just so that if I do get laid off the trip will be paid for.

LPnerd
07-09-2002, 02:05 PM
good luck finding a discount at on site hotels during the holidays!
If travel stays lightyou might get somethig but I doubt it.all ap scers, are already booked according to booking for dvcers. We were going to go then too. couldn't get anything with dvc points and when asked for a deal with cash , she told me what I just told you.It is the happiest place on earth you know LOL. Good luck!

jason
07-09-2002, 03:35 PM
holly molly mousey_girl did i hit a nerve ?! please take no offence , and i appologize if you did. what i meant was that the last time i went my dollar was worth .62 cdn to your 1 usd . take every price you see dinner , pins , toys, hotel and multiply by 1.6 .

as for the trip to the park , the PP entrance to DCA is right across the street from the hotel ( a little known side entrance ) and one call to the bell desk & they send a car to the end of downtown disney to pick you up ( the kids loved that little car )

goofyfordisney
07-10-2002, 11:06 AM
We have stayed at the GC and the DLH--I loved both. When we stayed at the GC last April, we paid $250 a night--I don't think it was worth that--but we were splurging! It was very nice to have the private entrance and to be so close to everything. This was the first time we had ever stayed "on-site". We usually have stayed off-site--using our hotel points at the Hilton Suites or the Sheraton Anaheim. We really didn't know what we were missing until we stayed on-site.

When we stayed at the DLH a few weeks ago, we paid $99/night (I think the GC would have been $149/night). I was glad we tried the DLH--I prefer it to the GC. I thought the rooms were bigger and the location was just fine. We had a room with 2 Queen beds and a daybed. We had a fridge (that worked!--just make sure you adjust the temp. as soon as possible) Our kids are bigger now, so the walking down DTD wasn't a big deal at all--we actually liked starting and ending our day with the walk down DTD! We were in the Sierra Tower--it is the closest tower to DTD. It only took 1-2 minutes to the monorail station too. We never used the monorail in the morning. We used it alot mid-day to get back to the hotel and at night to get back to the parks. It was great!

Since there are three of you--I would suggest requesting a room with a daybed. I'm not sure if this is available at GC. We had a room at the GC with 2 queens for 1 night and a room with a queen and the bunkbeds for 2 nights (with a better view). The bunkbeds are only good for the kids--not adults!

Have a great time!

Disney Nick
07-10-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by goofyfordisney
When we stayed at the DLH a few weeks ago, we paid $99/night (I think the GC would have been $149/night).
Out of curiousity, where did you get those prices! Was it on Expedia or something? Hrm... if I could get $149/night for GC, I would do it every time I go :).

MickeyD
07-10-2002, 12:37 PM
I know a while back they were running and AP special where the GC was $149.

Disney Nick
07-10-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by MickeyD
I know a while back they were running and AP special where the GC was $149.
DAMN! I always miss out on the good stuff..

goofyfordisney
07-10-2002, 01:10 PM
The rates we got were AP rates--Super Sunday rates. I called the Disney reservations line in Anaheim. There were different prices for different views, etc. These were rates for Sunday-Thursday nights--slightly higher for Friday and Saturday nights (DLH was $129 for Friday and Saturday). We had a view of DTD and could see DCA too.

Keep trying...you can always book at a higher rate and change it if something better comes along (or cancel up to 3 days prior to your stay). Just keep checking www.mousesavers.com for updated info.

Good luck!