PDA

View Full Version : Long Lost Disneyland Photos

Bill Catherall
07-09-2002, 07:47 AM
I was digging through some old photos that I took in my early teen years (mid '80s) and found some photos I took at Disneyland. The thing I noticed about all of them is that you can't take these pictures anymore. :(

So I scanned them and put together a webpage to show them. Here they are at Long Lost Disneyland Photos (http://home.attbi.com/~wcatherall/disneyland/index.html).

You'll find a few pictures from the Tahitian Terrace, Main Street Electrical Parade, pictures taken from the Skyway (including pictures of rides that are gone or changed, and pictures of a Christmas parade.

Anybody have some similar pictures of their own they'd like to share?

Enjoy!

(Let me know if you have any trouble viewing the pictures. I've noticed that sometimes some of the pictures don't load. The workaround is to click on the reload or refresh button. That tends to force them to load. Same thing if you get a 403 error..."You are not authorized..." just hit refresh. I think it's a problem with my ISP's server. If it causes too many problems I'll move them to another server.)

jason
07-09-2002, 08:08 AM
great pics , thanks for sharing them . i particularly like herbie the love bug !!

MonorailMan
07-09-2002, 08:52 AM
Great shot of the old Monorail! :)

Also, you can spot the PeopleMover in another skyway shot! :)

stinkerbell
07-09-2002, 08:56 AM
Thanks for sharing those pics. If I could get my mom to part with some photos, and if my scanner would work.......I've got some humdinger character photos from the early 70's. That Pooh was one scary looking guy!

:( Man, I miss the Skyway and the PeopleMover........

Dave Z
07-09-2002, 09:43 AM
I, too, was looking at old photos from the early 80's yesterday. I have some of the 30th anniversary, and Yesterland attractions as well. I have some from the front of the Monorail, motorboats, skyway, 'old' Tomorrowland, etc. It was a fun trip down memory lane. Sorry, no scanner!

Bill Catherall
07-09-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Also, you can spot the PeopleMover in another skyway shot! :)
Actually, it's visable in 3 of the 5 Skyway shots. :D

1 behind the Monorail
1 above the lagoon
1 below (and to the side of) the Rocket Jets

disneynut
07-09-2002, 09:54 AM
Speaking of old pictures....I remember being a kid and going on the Matterhorn with my dad. He always wanted a picture of the snowman in the ride. So as we would be zooming by him, my dad would be ready with his camera. He'd be so excited when we got home to have the pictures developed. And there would be the back of my head and no snowman. It took about 3 different trips (and many pictures of the back of my head) before he realized you could get a picture of the snowman from the skyway. :D

Thanks for sharing Bill...it was neat seeing them.

mad4mky
07-09-2002, 11:45 AM
Great pictures Bill.

My husband's family came over on the 4th...and brought their home movies of Disneyland in 1959 and 1960. Oh, my goodness...brought back such memories.

You young 'uns have no idea how much Disneyland has changed through the years.

Now, I want my mom to get out all of our old photos of Disneyland in 1962 and such....

I miss the Indian Village!!!

And Bill...I noticed your pictures are taken AFTER the re-do of Fantasyland. No circus tents!

Bill Catherall
07-09-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by mad4mky
I noticed your pictures are taken AFTER the re-do of Fantasyland. No circus tents!
Yep. I didn't get my first camera until after they began construction on Fantasyland. I'm sure if I dug through some of my Dad's old photos I could find some real gems.

The next time I'm down there I'll go digging.

mad4mky
07-09-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall

Yep. I didn't get my first camera until after they began construction on Fantasyland. I'm sure if I dug through some of my Dad's old photos I could find some real gems.

The next time I'm down there I'll go digging.

We'll look forward to seeing those too!;) :D

kirstie_29
07-09-2002, 12:56 PM
Bill thanks for the pictures!

It's like a walk down memory lane. So many great attractions are now gone, my one regret is that my daughter will never have the opportunity to see any of these except in pictures.

Great job, I look forward to seeing more in the future.

slaakker
07-09-2002, 08:16 PM
Just a friendly challenge... Let's see who can post the oldest amature picture they can find in their photo album.

Should be fun to see. I think I have some somewhere.

Main Street Magic
07-10-2002, 04:36 AM
OK....now you are all going to have to give me a couple of weeks, and I will post some pictures from the late 60's. I need to buy a scanner for my 'puter.

kennyhues
07-10-2002, 02:06 PM
Anyone remember the bicentennial parade? My dad took tons-o-pictures. I think they exist only as slides. I'd love to share 'em. Does someone here know how we could set up a single site to share all our old DL photos on? Could MousePlanet host something like that?

Dave Z
07-10-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by disneynut
I remember being a kid and going on the Matterhorn with my dad. He always wanted a picture of the snowman in the ride.

I have a great one of the Snowman taken from the Skyway.

feathercloud
07-10-2002, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the photos!!

I had a staggering event last christmas, I was at friends house watching their home movies transfered on to video...There they were as kids on a trip to southern Cal going to Disneylands OPENING!! I freaked!! The trees were so small....It was fantastic!! Then they proceded to share the trip with me, not realizing what a Dis nerd I am!!!

jslivinski
09-20-2002, 03:28 PM
Bill, Loved the trip down memory lane, thank you for sharing your pictures with us.