PDA

View Full Version : MLK Weekend

FMTX
08-08-2007, 02:58 PM
We were originally hoping to make a trip in early October or the Friday through Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving but for various reasons we will not be able to go either of those times. Our next best alternative is MLK weekend i.e. Thursday night through Monday night. I have never been to DL in January and have never paid much attention to this time of year. I searched this site and looked on some others and there is not much information out there on MLK weekend. I am curious if anyone can give me some insight into this weekend.

1) How busy will it be?
2) How many attractions will be closed for refurbishment at that time? I am guessing the x-mass ones will be down to convert back to normal and I believe this would be prime refurbishment time but do not see anything listed yet)? Does anyone know anything or can give any insight
3) What is the weather like?
4) What are shows schedules like i.e. fireworks only on weekends etc.?
5) Are there shows or rides or other things that they just don't run at all that time of year?
6) What are the hours typically for this time of year?
7) We are planning on staying at DL Hotel, but will the kids be able to swim that time of year?
8) Is there any special events for the holiday?
9) Is there anything unusual about going this time of year?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

PS DARKBEER will Enhanced Fastpass come back for AAA after YOAMD. You mentioned that YOAMD will extend through 2008 on another thread but after that will Enhanced FP come back? Yes, yes please yes.

Nancy
08-08-2007, 03:02 PM
I don't know what will be opened or closed but in the past when we have gone that weekend it has been PACKED. The park is usually OK till noonish but after that, verrrry busy. Then it's pool time for us!!

FMTX
08-08-2007, 03:07 PM
I don't know what will be opened or closed but in the past when we have gone that weekend it has been PACKED. The park is usually OK till noonish but after that, verrrry busy. Then it's pool time for us!!

Is it warm enough for the pool that weekend?

DizneyMommy
08-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Not likely, unless you are from Alaska, but the pool there is SO neat that most people will swim anyways. It's not usually unbearably cold here, if I had to predict, I'd say mid 60's to mid 70's. It rarely gets hotter or colder than that here in the winter. It can get chilly at night if there is a breeze, but not much cooler.

Keep in mind that MLK is one busy day/weekend in the middle of an otherwise very slow time of year. The park hours might be a little longer that day than usual for off-season, but there will likely not be fireworks or fantasmic on Monday, those are mostly on the weekends only if at all during off season. SW might be closed, I saw a rumor on here somewhere that it is getting a long refurb after Xmas, but other than that you probably won't know what else is down until you get there. It's a great time of year to go IMO, the weather is so pleasant and all of the Xmas crowds have gone home so it is pretty quiet.

disneyhound
08-08-2007, 06:25 PM
We made the mistake of having our annual DL vacation include the MLK 3-day weekend. Other than the first week in January, it was the most crowded we had ever experienced in the Jan-Feb off-season period. Avoid it if you want shorter lines! ;)

emmah
08-08-2007, 11:53 PM
I was at DLR this year during MLK weekend. I was there for a week, and the increase was really noticeable, although I doubt it was anything like the kind of busy people talk about over the summer. On the biggest crowd day, I went on the WiWF tour in the morning, and collected fastpasses as we went past or near FP machines, to use in the afternoon, and still had a really great day...

FMTX
08-09-2007, 05:49 AM
I was at DLR this year during MLK weekend. I was there for a week, and the increase was really noticeable, although I doubt it was anything like the kind of busy people talk about over the summer. On the biggest crowd day, I went on the WiWF tour in the morning, and collected fastpasses as we went past or near FP machines, to use in the afternoon, and still had a really great day...

What a great strategy to do it during the tour. Were a lot of rides closed for refurbishment?

yenko427
08-09-2007, 07:13 AM
I am not from Alaska and we were there last week of Jan. 2007 and swam in the pool at DLH, it was 69 degrees. We had a blast. This may be cold to locals but felt great to us Washingtonians.

CV12Pirate
08-09-2007, 07:28 AM
69 degrees... that's a heat wave for you guy's.

Roast yer Liver...

Nancy
08-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Is it warm enough for the pool that weekend?

You might check an almanac. My kids swin in any weather.

emmah
08-09-2007, 03:24 PM
What a great strategy to do it during the tour. Were a lot of rides closed for refurbishment?

No, the only things that were closed (as far as I can recall) were HMH and Dumbo. Certainly all of the big rides were up and operational. It was an excellent week to visit.

FMTX
08-09-2007, 07:25 PM
So I guess I am surprised it is that busy this time of year even though it is a holiday. I thought this would be one of the slowest holidays.

Susan L
08-10-2007, 09:58 AM
^^ Nope, it is actually one of the busiest weekends of the year. We have done this before a few times. It can be crazy:eek: