PDA

View Full Version : Is anything scarier than Screamin?

Pages : [1] 2

jazzysmom
08-08-2007, 11:57 AM
I have been on all the major rides at both parks a million times, but I have never been on California Screamin' at DCA. I am big chicken with that one for some reason.

I have been informed by the DH that I will be going on it when we go alone in a few weeks. So tell me, IYO is any rides in either park that are scarier?

Karin
08-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Tower of Terro, IMHO. I'll go on Screamin', I haven't done DLR's ToT yet.

Drince88
08-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Depends on what makes it scary to you. I have one sister who LOVES roller coasters, but doesn't like anything that 'drops' so she loves Screamin' but did TOT ONCE (at WDW) so she could say she did it. I think for her, though, the scariest ride at DL would be Maliboomer. That's also about the only attraction at DCA I have absolutely no desire to do again, but am glad I did so I could 'say I did it'.

jazzysmom
08-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Depends on what makes it scary to you. I have one sister who LOVES roller coasters, but doesn't like anything that 'drops' so she loves Screamin' but did TOT ONCE (at WDW) so she could say she did it. I think for her, though, the scariest ride at DL would be Maliboomer. That's also about the only attraction at DCA I have absolutely no desire to do again, but am glad I did so I could 'say I did it'.

Ohhhhh, I'm a liar! I haven't been on the Maliboomer either & have no desire to go on it. I do want to go on Screamin' but the drops scare me, as does the upside down part. I have been on TOT 3 times, and would be perfectly happy never to go on it again. BUT DH loves that one too, so I know I will have to go on it also.

jdee
08-08-2007, 12:19 PM
TOT is the scariest!! Anticipating the drop is the worst. I have a hard time going on elevators after goin on TOT, I worry they will also drop. So, I don't go on that ride anymore. I really don't like going upside down on Screamin but I just keep my eyes closed and open them at the end for the picture.

DianeM
08-08-2007, 12:26 PM
I don't think Screamin' is all that bad, as roller coasters go. It's fast, but it doesn't jerk you around or have any major drops, or any weird tricks (if you don't count the rather abrubt acceleration, which I love). I don't think it's really much more intense than Space Mountain or Matterhorm. My husband says he hates roller coasters that go upside down - but Screamin' doesn't bother him, even though ther are brief upside down moments.

As for scarier - TOT has drops (although I hate most "drop" type coasters but love TOT), SM is more intense (because you can't see where you're going), Matterhorn has sudden appearance of a "monster", Indy has things dropping onto you and is really jerky... scary is in the eye of the beholder.

I have been on all the major rides at both parks a million times, but I have never been on California Screamin' at DCA. I am big chicken with that one for some reason.

I have been informed by the DH that I will be going on it when we go alone in a few weeks. So tell me, IYO is any rides in either park that are scarier?

Mrs Mouse
08-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Personally, I think that I would say TOT is scarier than Screamin'. Like other posters have said, it all depends on what scares you.

The scariest part of Screamin' is the speed and the one large drop. You'll definitely feel those in your stomach. The loop is actually not as bad as you would think. It's over really quickly. The best part of Screamin' is the fact that it's smooth. There's no bumpy tracks and you're not being thrown around.

I was scared out of my mind the first time I went on it, and my BF made us sit front row on top of that, but once we started moving I loved it. My biggest tip would be to keep your head back on the head rest and you'll have a great time.

The Evil Queen
08-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Do you think Screamin' would be (*ahem*) "over-the-top" for a 7-year old? If any of you are familiar with The Grizzly at Great America, he loves that and doesn't freak out. It's got a HUGE first drop.

I worry about Screamin's rapid acceleration at the beginning. I've not been on it yet, but he does Space Mountain, BTMRR, Materhorn and Mullholland Madness with not problems.

Whaddya think?:confused:

DianeM
08-08-2007, 02:04 PM
If he can do the rest of the rides, Screamin' should not be a problem, imo.

Do you think Screamin' would be (*ahem*) "over-the-top" for a 7-year old? If any of you are familiar with The Grizzly at Great America, he loves that and doesn't freak out. It's got a HUGE first drop.

I worry about Screamin's rapid acceleration at the beginning. I've not been on it yet, but he does Space Mountain, BTMRR, Materhorn and Mullholland Madness with not problems.

Whaddya think?:confused:

D15
08-08-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm a complete and total rollercoaster/thrill ride nut, however the only ride that freaks me completely out.... are the moving cars on the Sunwheel :eek:

codewoman
08-08-2007, 02:29 PM
The 7 yo in our party declined Screamin' but did the other roller coasters with no problems. He did decline Space at the last minute, but liked it when he decided to ride it later. Same with Matterhorn.

I, personally, like all the Disney coaster/thrill rides. I think their drops are good - they don't make me lose my stomach. I did Mailboomer and it was kind of wimpy compared to the similar ride at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Plus, the view is fabulous! I like TOT because the drops aren't too awkward. With Screamin' I like the fast takeoff because I'm not too fond of heights and that long click click click ride up the hill is generally my least favorite part of a roller coaster ride. Eliminated on Screamin'.

That said, I did Mulholland Madness and will not do it again. It's the turns! I feel like I'm going to fall off the edge. With the other coasters, the turns are banked and basic physics is my friend.

So I am only scared of Mulholland Madness but love the others.

vfire
08-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Screamin' is nice and smooth, and the loop is over so fast you won't even know it. The drops are there but they're not that bad compared to coasters at Six Flags. I think Screamin' is pretty much a perfect coaster and I'm looking forward to the reimagining of Paradise Pier so it'll have even better views.

Wendy Bird
08-08-2007, 04:24 PM
The sunwheel!! I've never been so scared in my life... my brother says I have a weird sense of fear. :D

I love screamin, i cant help but laugh the whole way through.

DebT
08-08-2007, 04:28 PM
I am not a big roller coaster fan, but I will ride Screamin. If you sit in the middle it's actually pretty mellow. I've been on TOT twice and never plan to ride it again. I do not like not knowing when I'm going to drop.

neverlander
08-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Jumpin' Jellyfish (I'm serious!). Can't wait to get back on Screamin', but I won't be dangling my feet from that kiddie ride again! Based on that experience, Maliboomer won't be on my list either.

darph nader
08-08-2007, 05:36 PM
How about a guided tour through my son's bedroom?
"On your left,you'll notice a petrfied sandwich.":D
"On your right is a pair of socks that were on the left a week ago.":eek:
"Please ignore the 'dead' body in the corner.";)

minniemom
08-08-2007, 06:50 PM
My 7 year old was measuring herself at least once a week until she was tall enough to ride Screamin. I can't wait until she finally gets to ride it to see if it is everything she hopes for.

In comparision to the Grizzly at Great America. If it is the same one I am thinking of (brown wooden one) then I rememer riding it as a seven year old and loving it. Look at me now, I still can't get enough!!!!

KDR
08-08-2007, 07:03 PM
I used to be a complete chicken. No loops, no drops, no way, no how. But then the Indiana Jones coaster went in at DLP, and I didn't want there to be a Disney park attraction that I wouldn't try at least one time. And it turned out that while I didn't like the drops, the loops were no problem at all. Then Discovery Space Mountain went in there, with a loop and a corkscrew. On my next visit, I had to do that one. I got a bit queasy doing it three times in a row, but other than that, it was fine. Loops are just a lot less bothersome than drops are to me.

Ahh, and then Tower of Terror went in at Disney-MGM Studios. Had to do it. By about the fourth time, I realized that if you relax (since, it turns out, you're NOT going to get killed on the ride), the drop sensation is weakened considerably. The next trip to WDW we did ToT 13 times in a row on a Friday the 13th. I think our total count for that trip was 26 times.

Screamin . . . piece o' cake. Love the takeoff. And it's one of the smoothest coasters I've ever been on. Do not hesitate to board this attraction.

Malibooomer, however, I have issues with. I have gone on that attraction enough times to say I did it. But I will not ride again. I will watch my wife as she blasts skyward, arms and legs held straight out in front of her, but I will sit or stand on solid ground thank you very much.

Mr.Bear
08-08-2007, 07:53 PM
The ride on the LA freeways getting to Disneyland is the scariest ride I've taken. :eek: I hear people get killed on that ride almost every day.

screamin4ever
08-08-2007, 07:58 PM
TOT is way more intense than Screamin' to me. My kids started riding Screamin' at about 5 years old and they both love it as much as I do.

jazzysmom
08-08-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm a complete and total rollercoaster/thrill ride nut, however the only ride that freaks me completely out.... are the moving cars on the Sunwheel :eek:

Yep, that's another one I won't go on. Isn't that in the bible, "Thou shalt not ride thine evil ferris wheels?"

The Evil Queen
08-09-2007, 05:59 AM
The ride on the LA freeways getting to Disneyland is the scariest ride I've taken. :eek: I hear people get killed on that ride almost every day.

THAT'S TOO FUNNY!

yellowrosedtxn
08-09-2007, 06:05 AM
From my experience, I don't like roller coasters but I liked Screamin. It is smooth and after I go through the loop, I am pretty good with the rest.

I will not ride Maliboomer. THAT scares me to death. I love Tower of Terror and I am afraid of heights. I think the difference for me between the two is that Tower is enclosed where as the Maliboomer isn't. I feel safer in TOT.

bloodnswash
08-09-2007, 06:07 AM
The only ride I have not done at the two parks is the Maliboomer. I do Screamin' with no problems (I have to sit in the front row or the second row, though. Otherwise I get too banged up). I absolutely love TOT; it's my favorite ride at DCA. Everybody tells me that if I can do TOT I can do the Maliboomer. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get the nerve to do this ride.....yet. :)

"I think the difference for me between the two is that Tower is enclosed where as the Maliboomer isn't."

I think that is exactly why I won't to Maliboomer but I will do TOT. It's the whole I can see the Maliboomer.....I can't see TOT.

Dakota784
08-09-2007, 06:29 AM
I'll cast my vote to TOT being scarier than Screamin'. Like others have said, the anticipation that builds up over not knowing when you will drop is a crazy, delicious kind of fear. That said, I want to do TOT again (and have), but don't have a great desire to do Screamin' again. It's a roller coaster, which is fun, but for me, it's all about the storyline. Love the theme rides!