PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly River Rapids

Pages : [1] 2

disneymania
08-08-2007, 05:16 AM
What happened to people getting hit with the geyser at the end? Did people complain they got too wet? To me, it takes all the fun out of the end of the ride.

bloodnswash
08-08-2007, 06:27 AM
Sorry, I don't know. I haven't been there this summer. But it did seem to be that the geyser at the end of the ride only hosed people down during the summer months. I remember the first time I got soaked. It was great! I was laughing like crazy. And it wasn't every group that got wet. When we got ours it was like every fifth or sixth group who got the true hose down. The other groups either got nothing or just barely wet.

DizneyMommy
08-08-2007, 06:30 AM
It was on a few days ago when we were there, if I am thinking of the same thing you are referring to

DisneylandJon
08-08-2007, 06:31 AM
My wife and I visited the park in May and we had the geysers get us really good at the end so I know they were working then. I haven't heard one way or the other for the current status.

DianeM
08-08-2007, 06:48 AM
They seem to be able to customize GRR based on how wet they think people want to get. There are a number of sprayers/fountains that turn on at the hottest parts of the day, and the ride seems a bit rougher (and splashier and wetter) at those times. I've ridden on cooler days, or in the late afternoon, and hardly gotten wet at all. If you were riding at a hot time, it's possible that the operator simply forgot to turn on the fountain.

What happened to people getting hit with the geyser at the end? Did people complain they got too wet? To me, it takes all the fun out of the end of the ride.

BraMax
08-08-2007, 07:20 AM
When we were there last month it was working and people were getting soaked but it was hot hot hot when we were there so people were going on the ride just to cool off I think. (we never got hit with it but I sure looked like I did a couple of times lol)

3duckgirl3
08-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Oh, it's definitely still going. Not only did we spend quite a bit of time on the bridge watching people get soaked and laughing like loons, we ourselves got the dreaded "double geyser" not once, but twice! (This is when the geyser starts before you go over it and continues after you're over it, effectively soaking everyone on the raft). The first time was great, but the last time was right before reservations at the Vineyard Room...we arrived soaked, and the manager actually turned on the outdoor heat lamps for me and my brother, because we were shivering! (This was last week...in 80 degree weather...yeah).

tigger08
08-08-2007, 11:53 AM
can you tell me where the best spot is to get a picture of my family coming down the Grizzly river run?

Edubz
08-08-2007, 12:13 PM
They still have it on, but there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to when it goes off.

Tigger08, there is a walkway that ends at a little viewing area right by the last drop where you could take pics and it sorta wraps around from where the big geyser is too, you could probably get a good shot at either spot of that little path.

tigger08
08-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks so much I will add that tip to my picture taking information....

DebT
08-08-2007, 04:32 PM
We were there the beginning of March and the geysers were definitely active. Didn't notice a slow down because it was cool. Half our party was soaked.

Franz
08-10-2007, 11:25 AM
It has always seemed to me that the geyser (and some of the other guest soaking effects) are variable. Sometimes there is no way not to get totally soaked, other rides the big geyser is nowhere to be found. I always assumed that there was some level of control by the operators to allow for more drenching on hotter days and less when its not so appropriate. ... when we were there in early December the geyser seemed to activate in-between rafts and not really get people very wet.

That being said, of course the random wave action throughout the ride is always likely to cover you in water. My near the top of the mountain my 17 Yr-old was on the opposite side of our raft and watched me and our 10-yr old get somewhat wet in the rapids. He held his arms high above his head and laughed at us, yelling "HA, I DIDN'T EVEN GET A DROP!" Of course, at the instant he finished his sentence a rogue wave from nowhere came over the top of his seat. His entire body disappeared in a white-water tornado. When he re-appeared in our sight (seemeingly 5 seconds later) he was completely soaked from head to toe, his hands still above his head and a priceless look upon his face of complete disbelief and shock. - Yes, you may get wet!

californiagirlx7
08-10-2007, 04:56 PM
We were there just a few days ago and it was working. We got soaked! But the timing is completely random though, some people didn't get wet at all and some people got sprayed twice.

sierranevada
08-11-2007, 06:32 AM

OH it is still there!!! We got it good a few days ago - absolutely soaked! With the heat, we were dry before we got back to the room.

disneymania
08-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks everyone. I hope it's hot enough in Sept. I just love it, the anticipation just gets me.:D

seanutbutter
08-11-2007, 09:54 AM
It's still there, all right. I rode the attraction twice this past week and each time was hit with the water.

amarvel
08-13-2007, 09:26 AM
i rode it last thursday and the geyser was working, my dh was on a different boat then me and he got the double geyser and got soaked :)

tigger08
08-13-2007, 09:48 AM
will it be to cold to ride this ride the 3rd week of April?

DianeM
08-13-2007, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't worry. September tends to be pretty warm in Anaheim.

Thanks everyone. I hope it's hot enough in Sept. I just love it, the anticipation just gets me.:D

splash
08-14-2007, 07:02 AM
I'm guessing that in April, you have a pretty good chance of warmer weather. Of course, it is always unpredictable. If you are worried about gettting wet, you could just buy and wear a poncho. Worst case scenario, you go back to your hotel and change clothes. We've been there in April before and it usually is pretty good weather - it is usually the breeze that gets you cold.

amarvel
08-14-2007, 08:04 AM
i have found april to be the swing month, you can get really nice warm weather or still chilly weather, wont know until you go. But like the previous person said you could bring a poncho, i actually saw a lot of people with ponchos on last week and it was nice and warm out.

tigger08
08-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Poncho sounds like a good idea to me... are they spendy if I buy them here and home and take them to the park with us? To they have ones for little guys?

going2disneyAZ
08-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Poncho sounds like a good idea to me... are they spendy if I buy them here and home and take them to the park with us? To they have ones for little guys?

find a dollar store before you go and bring them...

annieb727
08-14-2007, 12:00 PM

Just go to walmart - in the camping section - they have cheapy ones for about $1 each. We just used the adult ones for the kids - it covered them pretty welll and they were more covered than we were. We brought a few for each person...each day we just carried them in our bags in case we needed them (course we did it more for rain than for rides) - and then we threw them away when we were done - you can always bring them back to your hotel, hang them over the shower rod to dry and then reuse another time.

tigger08
08-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the tips... I will be checking this out. Throwing them away sounds a lot better then renting a locker and stuffing dry cloths in and taking time to change when your down with the ride.