PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I admit it!

MonorailMan
07-08-2002, 08:22 PM
It was our trip down to DL in Aug. of 2001, there were 8 of us, one person in our group got a SAP (She had a cane, but I didn't know if she really needed it, it didn't seem like it). Well, I think the SAP was only for a group of 5. So, another family member, lied, and got another SAP for a person that defenitly didn't need it.

I resisted to use it, I would wait, I wouldn't be in a SAP group for a person that didn't need it.

Until we got to the Monorail, the line was out the Queue, and around the corner, an Aprox. hour wait. Then I buckled, and joined the SAP group, we rode. After my ride I pulled out my Ride Log, I was getting ready to tally it, but then I thought to myself, "How could I stoop so low, to use a service that wasn't even needed." I never recorded the ride.

I am not proud of what I did, and ever time I see a SAP that really needs it, I always think of this day, and how bad I was.

MammaSilva
07-08-2002, 08:30 PM
sweetie no one is asking for perfection, just a little less 'judgemental' of those using the SAP's and I am proud of you for resisting the temptation for as long as you did, and caving and participating in the 'abuse' taught you a life lesson along the way, not a bad trade off for a minor indiscretion IMHO

now go say 10 hail mickeys and swear never to do it again and all is forgiven :)

mousey_girl
07-08-2002, 09:39 PM
MM, don't kick yourself too hard. You feel guilt where other's who do far worse (than ride the monorail) feel nothing. Everyone makes a mistake from time to time, it is how we learn. So stop being so hard on yourself. I say log the ride and then vow to not do it again.

You have far more integrity and character than those twice your age and that is something to be proud of!!!

MouseWife
07-08-2002, 09:47 PM
I agree with mousey_girl. I think you are one mature, well rounded individual.

mammasilva~ hail mickeys!!! I think that is so funny!!!

cstephens
07-08-2002, 10:24 PM
While it's nice to see that you feel bad about what you did, this is exactly the kind of behaviour that gets others ranting on a regular periodic basis about all the abusers getting SAPs and how they must be lying because they don't "look" disabled.

HBTiggerFan
07-08-2002, 10:50 PM
CS, lighten up on the kid. His party was in the wrong. He waited on all the other rides, except for this one. He didn't go and get the SAP and lie about it. Some dishonest person in his party did.

MM, say 10 Hail Mickeys (like mammasilva said to do), vow never to do it again, and do 5 random acts of kindness for strangers when your at the store (ie..getting someting from a high shelf, picking up something someone else dropped) and your forgiven :D

cstephens
07-08-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
CS, lighten up on the kid. His party was in the wrong. He waited on all the other rides, except for this one. He didn't go and get the SAP and lie about it. Some dishonest person in his party did.

I don't understand the whole "lighten up" thing people seem to like throwing out on a regular basis. I don't recall yelling at him or lopping his head off. I expressed my opinion in what I thought was a calm, polite manner. My opinion may not be popular nor may it be in the majority, but I don't see the problem with me expressing it.

True, he wasn't the person who got the SAP, but he knowingly used it. If I know that someone else stole something, and I then knowingly take part in the stolen goods, I am not absolved of my own culpability simply because I am not the thief.

And now that I've had to respond to your comment and further explain my opinion, I will probably be further accused (not necessarily by you or anyone else in particular) of beating him over the head.

teri
07-08-2002, 11:02 PM
Oh, I am not letting you off the hook that easily. ;)

You are hereby sentenced to graciously assist every disabled person who seems to need help with directions in the parks, helping overcome obstacles, and stepping up in difficult moments when they need an understanding attitude of support, at every available opportunity, for the rest of your life.

Not Afraid
07-09-2002, 08:20 AM
I just wish that other teens felt the same amount of remourse for their actions that Monorailman does. Each time I see a group of young people doing wheelchair races through the park at top speed, my stomach turns.

Gemini Cricket
07-09-2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by mammasilva
now go say 10 hail mickeys and swear never to do it again and all is forgiven :)
lol! :D Dang that was funny! I almost choked on my bran muffin.

mousey_girl
07-09-2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket

lol! :D Dang that was funny! I almost choked on my bran muffin.

At least you didn't have strawberry yorgurt coming out your nose!! ;)

I know gross, but it was a visual that just sort of popped up.

Back on topic, I like Teri's response!! Although MM strikes me as the kind of guy that would already do most of those things!

Lani
07-09-2002, 09:44 AM
MM, I am curious -- did you at any time make any comment to the family member who got the SAP unnecessarily? And did you make any comments to the others in the party who took advantage of the SAP?

I am glad your conscience kept you from using the SAP for all the attractions, but next time, consider nagging those in your party who abuse the system. Tell them of your disapproval, and explain why you disapprove. It won't do anything to change the behavior of some, but it may the kick that make others feel guilty enough to curb their behavior. Shame 'em with guilt, in other words.

MonorailMan
07-09-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by lani
MM, I am curious -- did you at any time make any comment to the family member who got the SAP unnecessarily?

Yes, I said something on the way down Main Street along like lines of "You know this isn't correct, just think, someone who needs the pass, will have to wait longer, just because you can't wait", it didn't help though.

Originally posted by lani
And did you make any comments to the others in the party who took advantage of the SAP?

I made several comments, but just got an "It gets up to the front of the line." attitude.

Now, on to the good news: I found out this group (minus the person who kinda needed it), is coming down again. Why is this good news? My mom, (who is also the Mom of the main person in the group), layed down the law. She clearly said, "If you abuse the system this time, were leaving. Also, if abused, I will clearly embarrase you, never see or talk to you again, and will 'pull you from the will.'" Let's hope this helps.

MammaSilva
07-09-2002, 01:53 PM
well good for Mom!

cstephens
07-09-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Now, on to the good news: I found out this group (minus the person who kinda needed it), is coming down again. Why is this good news? My mom, (who is also the Mom of the main person in the group), layed down the law. She clearly said, "If you abuse the system this time, were leaving. Also, if abused, I will clearly embarrase you, never see or talk to you again, and will 'pull you from the will.'" Let's hope this helps.

That's great to hear. Thanks for posting that.

teri
07-09-2002, 02:31 PM
Hugs to your mom. :)

I can understand how you were overpowered by the group-think of the crowd you were with... it is unfortunate when people develop that 'pack' mentality and feel that they should have the right to dominate and take advantage. I am very happy to know that you, and your mom, are standing up for what you believe is right.

But you still have to atone for your past transgressions. ;) :)

HBTiggerFan
07-09-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by cstephens

I don't understand the whole "lighten up" thing people seem to like throwing out on a regular basis. I don't recall yelling at him or lopping his head off. I expressed my opinion in what I thought was a calm, polite manner. My opinion may not be popular nor may it be in the majority, but I don't see the problem with me expressing it.
CUT
And now that I've had to respond to your comment and further explain my opinion, I will probably be further accused (not necessarily by you or anyone else in particular) of beating him over the head.

This is one of the problems with a comptuer. I read your comment with a tone you didn't imply. I deeply apologize. Hail CS Hail CS :D

Ace
08-13-2002, 04:25 PM
My friend had a wheelchair on Grad day, and we met up with him about halfway through the day. We went on Splash Mountain, and then we wanted to ride the Mansion. He puts us on the ride, our whole group is in 3 Doombuggies. He puts a sticker on one of them so they'll know to stop the ride. My friend, who had a broken leg, was not in the stickered car. He got out and hobbled up the speedramp (with help, but still) and me and my 3 other friends went up the elevator and found him outside. It was quite funny, and the CM thought we were losers, faking an injury, since we had to choose someone to sit in it after we got off the ride.