PDA

View Full Version : Missing ducks?

K & S
08-07-2007, 02:32 PM
We were at Disneyland three weeks ago and noticed that all the male ducks had disappeared. Last week we rode the Mark Twain to look for male ducks and couldn't find one.

I asked some cast members and none seemed to know anything, however a supervisor finally admitted that they do remove the ducklings.

I understand that the duck population needs to be controlled, but I'd like to know that it is being done humanely.

Any ideas how to get answers?

Mom2
08-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Did you ever get any answers in your thread in June, "A Duck Question"?

The thread went astray due to my asking about feeding the ducks, and I apologize for that happening.

I am sure that Disney would not do anything inhumaine to the ducks.

I would suggest that you contact them about it.

bloodnswash
08-08-2007, 06:35 AM
I don't know if Disney would be honest about the whole thing. I think Disney will tell you what they want to tell you and what they think you want to hear.

You could try contacting City Hall or even sending an email through the DLR website. Or maybe even handwriting a letter and snail mailing it in. Better yet, do all 3. See if you get the same response all 3 times. :)

If you do contact DL I'd love to hear what they had to say.

stan4d_steph
08-08-2007, 09:23 AM
If you're talking about adult ducks, they can fly away. Perhaps they have just gone elsewhere for the time being.

VickiC
08-08-2007, 09:37 AM
They definitely move around on their own. I ride my bike on the Santa Ana River trail several times a week. Sometimes there are tons of ducks, sometimes none. Noone is removing those ducks, they just come and go as they please.

Malcon10t
08-08-2007, 09:42 AM
I have seen male ducks there, as recently as July. It was a riot going thru the Jungle Cruise though with a batch of new ducklings wandering around the gorillas. Even the JC Skipper had a rough time keeping a straight face.

Just a reminder, without male ducks, duckies won't happen.......

K & S
08-08-2007, 03:53 PM
If you're talking about adult ducks, they can fly away. Perhaps they have just gone elsewhere for the time being.

Just the males? Like maybe they've all gone camping together?

K & S
08-08-2007, 03:55 PM
I have seen male ducks there, as recently as July. It was a riot going thru the Jungle Cruise though with a batch of new ducklings wandering around the gorillas. Even the JC Skipper had a rough time keeping a straight face.

Just a reminder, without male ducks, duckies won't happen.......

I haven't seen a male duck since July 24th, and I've been to the park three times since then.

DizneyMommy
08-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Just a thought... though I do not claim to be a birdwatching expert... it has been 85+ in Anaheim since July 24th, is it possible the ducks are simply hiding from the heat somewhere cooler and out of sight? I do not usually spend my time at Disneyland looking for Ducks but I really haven't seen any in the park this summer at all, at least not nearly the numbers that hang around in the fall when it is cooler.

I'm a little confused, too, you said the cast member admitted they remove ducklings, but you are saying that there are no male ducks, it does not sound like he admitted to removing adult ducks...?

CookieBandit
08-08-2007, 04:21 PM
I haven't paid that much attention to the ducks on my past two trips (one in June and one in July) to be able to tell if the male ducks are there or not. We have seen ducklings though, on both trips.

Maybe they are just staying cool and thus, out of view... we saw a couple of ducks swimming in the Rivers of America during the first part of Fantasmic. Hope they flew away before the Rivers goes up in flames!

Malcon10t
08-08-2007, 06:41 PM
I haven't seen a male duck since July 24th, and I've been to the park three times since then.Our ttrip was July 14-20th, so you have been there more recently. But I tend to believe the ducks are just elsewhere.

K & S
08-09-2007, 07:56 AM
Our ttrip was July 14-20th, so you have been there more recently. But I tend to believe the ducks are just elsewhere.

We're going on Sunday, I'll let you know what I find.

Tinkermommy
08-09-2007, 12:50 PM
We were there yesterday, and there were definitely ducks around -- especially on the Jungle Cruise.

Mermaid
08-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Maybe Bob Barker is working at DL in his retirement to "help control the duck population."

Okay okay... that was really dumb!

DizneyMommy
08-10-2007, 06:39 AM
I was there aaaaaal day yesterday with some non-ap friends who wanted to get their ticket's worth and so I took notice of Ducks everywhere... lots of them in the lagoon near the wharf in DCA, a few brave ones in the Grizzly River ride, a few on the river in DL (though everytime the pirates did their thing and started firing guns and cannons the Ducks took off), and a few in the Jungle Cruise. I did notice several male ducks, as well as female ducks AND ducklings... they were all there. Perhaps the fact that the pirate show on the island is more frequent when it is crowded is freaking the Ducks out and making them take up shelter elsewhere, would you want to hang around if you thought you were being shot at? :)