PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Booking [guests under age 21]

meghan1
08-07-2007, 12:35 PM
I have no idea if this is in the right place, so I apologize in advance if it isn't.

My friends and I are trying to plan a trip in a few months. We are all 19-20 and have never booked a hotel before. I heard some places won't book people under 21. Is this really the case?

dawnid
08-07-2007, 12:47 PM
I've heard that about rental cars but not hotels. I think if you have a credit card/debit card they'll book.

JoeCool
08-07-2007, 12:48 PM
I have no idea if this is in the right place, so I apologize in advance if it isn't.

My friends and I are trying to plan a trip in a few months. We are all 19-20 and have never booked a hotel before. I heard some places won't book people under 21. Is this really the case?

I have never heard of someone over 18 being denied a reservation. As long as you have a valid credit card and can provide it with a valid photo ID at check-in, you should be fine.

kikid
08-07-2007, 01:33 PM

Mehan;
My son went to Mammoth with friends when he was 18 yrs old. He booked the room in adavance, and paid with a credit card. He didn't have any issues upon check-in. Good-Luck and have a blast!

meghan1
08-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Thanks everyone. I figured as much, but a friend of mine has had problems before, and I remember reading about some hotels(not in the DLR area) being sued for age discrimination last year. I'm sure everything will be fine.

orangechicken
08-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Weird, this is EXACTLY the same problem me and my friends had! Six of us are going the second week of September, problem is, nobody will be 21 (one will be only 2 weeks away though). So, we called around and a couple of places flat out refused to reserve a room for us (they will remain nameless). Luckily, we found one place that basically said that the limit was more for Anaheim residents and not as much tourists. They said that if we booked online and the credit card was good, there was nothing they could do to deny us a room when we got there, even though we weren't of "age". We can vote, but can't rent a hotel room...hmmm.

Basically, make sure to call the hotel you're going to make your reservations at ahead of time. Also, a site like expedia says that you only have to be 18 for all their hotels (even though they are more expensive on some of the hotels).

Good luck, I hope you'll have as great a time as we do!

jenbolen
08-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Also, this may sound weird, but let the reservation clerk know that you're going to Disneyland.

I know hotels in my area tend to turn away 18-20 year olds because they think they just want a hotel room for a party -- if they plan on staying more than one night there is usually no problem.

Malcon10t
08-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Why would you be telling them your age? When I book a room, no one ever asks how old I am... They just want my CC. If you are under 18, I could understand as you cannot enter into the contract and sign for the room. Carousel Inn even let my 18yo son check in with out a question.

kylephoto760
08-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Also, this may sound weird, but let the reservation clerk know that you're going to Disneyland.

I know hotels in my area tend to turn away 18-20 year olds because they think they just want a hotel room for a party -- if they plan on staying more than one night there is usually no problem.

That's exactly the reason why the hotels I work at (as well as many others in the San Diego area) won't allow anybody under 21 to check in. The best advice I can give you is to call ahead of time and ask if there will be any problem.

kylephoto760
08-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Why would you be telling them your age? When I book a room, no one ever asks how old I am... They just want my CC. If you are under 18, I could understand as you cannot enter into the contract and sign for the room. Carousel Inn even let my 18yo son check in with out a question.

The unfortunate surprise comes at check-in time. Minimum age to check in to a hotel under state law is 18, however hotels are free to set a higher minimum age if they wish.

JamesDL
08-07-2007, 10:43 PM
I travel a lot and because I "look" under 21, I sometimes get carded when checking in and they try to figure out my age. I've asked why and they say that age limit is 21 to get a room. Some hotels never have given me this problem. I would just call ahead to be on the safe side.

Weird thing too is that I went for a massage a few months ago and they ID'd me. I asked why? And they said I had to be 21+ ??? What the heck? They weren't serving alcohol and I was 22 at the time. I showed my ID and all was fine.