PDA

View Full Version : Getting There from London

EandCDad
06-07-2001, 07:58 AM
Can anyone give me the hows, whats, and how muches for getting to DLP from London. This is assuming you don't have a car and need to get from London to the front door of the park on trains, busses, etc. The preference would be as few transfers as possible. Is there public transporation that will take us directly to the park? Any help is appreciated.

lisap
06-07-2001, 08:54 AM
Hi,
Check out the thread "got a question about DLP" They give some information about it.
:)

marky66
06-14-2001, 03:00 AM
I have used the direct Eurostar from Waterloo, the service where you have to change at Lille from Eurostar onto TGV and flown.
The Eurostar is a great service and drops you of right outside the park, the trouble is like any train service starting from London you can get delayed, on our last trip on the direct service it took over 2 hours to reach the channel tunnel so we didnt get into the park untill gone 3. If you want to go this way though I found the cheapest way to book was use the Disneyland Paris direct brochure fo the accomodation (I have always found them cheaper than Bridge or Cresta and it's nice to deal direct,order the brochure from the website) but book the train with Eurostar seperately, It was around £30 pp cheaper that way.
Personaly though from now on I wil fly. Buzz fly direct to CDG from Stansted and you can book online at www.buzzaway.co.uk and the return fair is £60pp if get in early enough. From CDG you get a shuttle from right outside the terminal building that takes you directly to your Disney Hotel (takes around 45 mins).
By getting an early flight we were in the park before 11am.

EandCDad
06-14-2001, 10:37 AM
Marky66 - Thanks, we are now deciding if an 11 day trip to the UK is enough to spend what could be two days at Disney Paris or if we should focus on England only. This will be my wife's first trip and may be our last to England for many years. Is it worth it if you have the original Disneyland about 50 minutes away.

AVP
06-14-2001, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad
we are now deciding if an 11 day trip to the UK is enough to spend what could be two days at Disney Paris or if we should focus on England only.

If this is your only chance to see DLP, I would highly encourage you to make the time to spend two days there. DLP is really not a French version of Disneyland. It may look similar, but it's just not the same. If you're able to spend two solid days there, I think it's worth doing. One day would be too few - it would be like licking a brownie, but not taking a bite. :p

Tony and I really loved DLP. It's just so beautiful, and there's something so amazing about being IN a Disney park inside a fairy tale country.

Adrienne VP

marky66
06-14-2001, 10:39 PM
If you are a Disney fan then yes it's certainly worth the trip.
To get the most from 2 days at the park I would advise spending the night before in a hotel close to Stansted Airport. It is called London Stansted but it's not far from Cambridge which is a lovely city and not too far in a cab, this would be a lovey place to spend the day before.
Try to get on the first flight out of Stansted and with connections you should be in the park mid to late morning.
You can then get the last flight back to England the second day which gives you untill around 6-30 in the park that day.
Fom Stansted there is a direct train service into central London, there is also a shuttle coach/bus service into London which is conciderably cheaper than the train.

lisap
06-16-2001, 06:06 AM
Dear Marky66,
EandCdad's other half here:)

Thank you for all the information--I have a few more questions for you.
1. Stansted Airport--why do you prefer that to Heathrow?
2. Where do you usually stay overnight near DLP? Where would be a good place for two Americans very tentative about traveling in a non-English speaking country?
3. Have you ever been to the Original Disneyland? How does DLP compare?
thanks in advance--
Lisa

marky66
06-17-2001, 11:07 AM
I only live about 15 mins from Heathrow myself and it is a great airport but the flights from there are much more expensive. To fly to Paris from Heathrow would cost at least double as opposed to Buzz who are a budget airline. Stansted is a base for many of the budget airlines fom the UK, I actualy flew to Italy once for £20 return from there.

I always stay on site at DLP. I have stayed at the more expensive hotels but now always stay at one of the cheapest (Santa Fe or Cheyene) Whenever I have stayed we have only slept in our room and the cheaper hotels are more than adequate. I only speak a little "school French" and my wife is the same but we have never had a problem, 95% of staff seem to speak English.

I havent been to Disneyland (next year will be my first visit) but this September will be my 9th visit to WDW in Orlando. Pesonaly I think DLP holds up very well compared to the Magic Kingdom, it has all the rides etc you would expect and in most cases ae improved versions of those in Florida. We are all looking forward to our 3 weeks in Florida very soon but also at the back of my mind is just how soon we can get back to DLP, I will try to get there in December as Christmas time is magical there and the grey skies etc seem to make it more Christmassy than WDW with it's blue skies. My wife and I both love it as does our 3 and a half year old.:)

Morrigoon
06-17-2001, 02:25 PM
Lisa (love the P&P avatar, btw),

I've been to DL, WDW and DLP. As much as I'm an Anaheim purist, I have to admit that DLP is the most beautiful Disney park (that I've visited). The layout is somewhat different (Frontierland and Adventureland are reversed, there is no NOS or Critter Country, and Tomorrowland is called Discoveryland). Also, a few key attractions are different, and are must-sees.

Pirates is a great one. They reversed the storyline, which actually makes quite a bit of sense. It has a "real" chasing room (no inane food) and also in the chasing room they have two of the AA's having a pretty good swordfight (I hear it was once more realistic, but the AA's kept tearing eachother to shreds so they had to tone it down).

Mansion (Phantom Manor) is much scarier than ours. There are some very nice touches, such as the boarding area which is like the entry hall of a grand estate. There's a thunderstorm raging outside and occasionally the lights go out which leaves the room rather dark and grey. Also, there's more evidence of the storyline. Ever hear the one about the sea captain and his bride? (Originally the storyline for DL's mansion). Well guess what... you can really tell at this one. The stretching room has portraits of the bride in it, one of which includes the sea captain. You'll see the ghost host several times as well as the bride, as you go through, and the get more and more decrepit the further you get. Fantastic attraction. One of the top two I think at DLP.

The other top attraction is Space Mountain, also called De La Terre A La Lune (from the earth to the moon). The story is based on a turn of the century (okay, probably early 19-teens) silent film where they shot someone to the moon in a cannon. So how are you launched into space? You got it! This Space is *NOTHING* like ours. So much so that I've said on other threads, they could tear down Innoventions, build the paris space mtn there, rename it, and run it and our space side by side. For starters, there's a loop and a corkscrew! You know that music the Observatron plays? Well one of those tracks is the track to Paris' Space Mtn.

The Mulan Show (La Legende De Mulan) is another MUST see. It's like Cirque du Soleil on an Asian theme. All music, no dialog or lyrics. They tell the story of Mulan through dance and fantastic acrobatics. It's in Videopolis in Discoveryland, you can't miss it (Look for the big old fashioned Zeppelin coming out the side)

We don't have the Curious Labyrinth (Alice Maze). It's lots of fun, be sure to take a spin through it. Basically, it's a hedge maze with a few little surprises (characters popping up from behind bushes, water fountains, etc. It also has its own castle in the center, which affords a nice view of Fantasyland that includes Sleeping Beauty's Castle.

While I'm on the subject... Tour the castle. Upstairs, where we only have dioramas, DLP has the story of Sleeping Beauty told in tapestry and stained glass - stunning. And below, Taniere du Dragon. (there's a dragon in the dungeon) It took us a bit to find the first time, but well worth a trip down. Every now and then the dragon will wake up and roar a bit.

I second the motion for staying at the Santa Fe if you're on a budget. My friend and I stayed there and it was perfectly fine. Kind of cute pueblo styling, actually. You can cross a small footbridge to hit the Hotel Cheyenne from there. Just across the street from Hotel Cheyenne is the wilderness lodge type hotel, whose name escapes me at the moment (I'm sure someone here can name it for me). From there, you're on the lake if you want to follow it around to Disney Village. But there's no need for a hike if you don't want to... they have buses that will take you over. OH! I think that hotel is called the Sequoia Lodge.

Keep in mind, guests of resort hotels get into the disco in Disney Village for free.

I haven't taken Eurostar from London to DLP before, though I have taken it from DLP to London. I would check into the cost of those cheap airfares, but if you can't get any, don't worry, Eurostar is a nice ride, and the service is excellent. From CDG (Charles de Gaulle airport) it's very easy to get to DLP. Take the DLP bus. It's clearly painted, you can't miss it. The only thing you need to do is find out where it picks up. Ask someone who works there. Many speak English, but if they don't, say "Ou est l'autobus pour Disneyland?" (Ooh eh lot-oh-boos poor Disneyland) and that should work well enough. Get a small phrase book. I used one called Just Enough French. It makes pronunciation very easy. Keep in mind, it's not always correct - for one thing NEVER call a waiter Garcon (means: boy) it's rude. And it gives a different word for bathroom - just use toilet. Other than that, it has all you'd need. Especially since you'll hardly need it once on Disney property.

By the way, London is marvelous. Find your way to Liecester Square (pronounced Lester) for the 1/2 price ticket booth. At about midday, unsold tickets to plays go on sale there cheap. Try to see Les Miserables at the Palace theatre. (Especially if you've ever seen it anywhere else.) The show was designed for that theatre, and you KNOW that, when you see it. Whistle Down the Wind is Lloyd Webber's latest. It hasn't opened (to my knowledge) on Broadway yet, so you'd get to see it early. I saw an experimental run of it in Leeds back in 94. I don't know how much it's changed since then, but I liked it quite well at the time.

There's a fantastic cybercafe right near Victoria Station. You can't miss it either, big orange awning. Great spot to email home, and decent prices too.

Have you gotten a Rick Steves guide yet? We used his Paris 2000 guide when we were there in February. Every time we did what the book said, we had a fabulous time. He does a London guide too - use it. Or use the guide that covers all of England (I think it actually covers like 3 countries, Belgium and another one) I assume with that much time you're going to travel around, go down to see Stonehenge etc. So that guide might be in your best interests.

Have a great time... when are you going again?

And don't assume this is your last trip... if you're willing to go in the winter or shoulder seasons, it can be a downright bargain. Oh, and last I heard the pound was really down against the dollar. Great time to be going. In February I got about 8 francs to the dollar (vs 5 to the $ 10 years ago).

lisap
06-17-2001, 02:45 PM
Thank you Marky and Morrigoon! You really gave us a lot to think about. We have until March, so that will give us time to plan and revise our itinerary if need be. So far, all we have planned is Hamlet starring Colin Firth in London, a visit to a long lost cousin in Hampshire, a tour of the Isle of Wight (where my husband's family is from) and some Jane Austen Pilgrimages (which the husband is thrilled about, believe me ;) )
SO, the questions we will have to ponder are--

A) Do we have enough money for this side trip?
B) Can two people wholly uneducated in the French language survive this adventure?
C) Should we spare the time?

I'm sure we will have more questions as the time approaches--if you have anything more to add, please do so.
Thanks friends!

parky_in_paris
06-18-2001, 04:19 AM
Well I'm not sure what I can add to the excellent information that has allready been posted in this thread.

I personally think a 2 day trip to DLP is a must if you are visiting the UK.

Don't use the train as it takes longer than the air trip and is very similar in price. You can find flights from the UK to Paris with British Airways from Heathrow for about £125 if you stay in France for a Saturday night. Flights are cheaper from Stanstead and can be just as good.

I love to stay at the Sequoia Lodge Hotel, it has just the right mix of quality, style and friendliness.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me at :-

parky_in_paris@mac.com

EandCDad
06-18-2001, 07:36 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses! We are definately in a "leaning towards" going mode thanks to all your help. Morrigoon, we plan on seeing some shows and your advice in that area is also very helpful. My wife is having little heart palpitations because we have tickets to Colin Firth in Hamlet next March. We may have to see Les Mis for the 84th time based on your strong recommendation.

lisap
06-22-2001, 03:45 PM
What is anyone's opinion of going to DLP from London or Stansted--flying one way to France and taking the train back to London? Are the views from the train interesting enough to warrant a longer trip back to the U.K.?
We are thinking about going over and spending one night--maybe a day and a half in the Park.