PDA

View Full Version : Big Thunder Mountain Railroad... I'm ashamed to admit

Pages : [1] 2

TINKERISMYCAT
08-06-2007, 01:26 PM
This was my FAVORITE ride ever as a kid. Until.......I became a scared mom.

After the accident in 2003?? then I think it had some issues a few years later, bumps and such, I have been afraid to ride it with my kids.

I have not been on it in 4 years. We try to go the the parks at least once a year sometimes twice and I still have not braved it. In my head I know that it is safer then the drive to Disneyland, but I'm just weird I guess. I want to ride REALLY bad then chicken out.

My son who is 8 also wants to ride California Screamin' (with Dad, I'm afraid of heights which is why BTMRR was perfect you are always near ground). The last 2 times we were there, it was closed and running with water filled dummies. A bump there too, I think. I haven't heard of any problems since then.

This time I will ride. I feel like this is like Riders Anonymous. I feel better getting this off my chest.(Deep Breath)

Anyone else ever feel this way or am I just a freak?

PS. I have never tried the "goat trick" I'll have to give that whirl.

nvmom
08-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Well I'm still quite a DLR newbie having been there only beginning in 2005...
I didn't realize there'd been problems/accidents with BTMRR?? My oldest dd & dh love that ride and talked me into it last trip. I loved it to.

nvmom

GeminiAngel
08-06-2007, 01:33 PM
I felt exactly the same way for quite awhile. Finally, I brought myself to ride. and it was great. I say a little prayer when we approach the tunnel that had the accident. I believe now there is an angel there.

The Little Mermaid
08-06-2007, 01:41 PM
I didn't realize there'd been problems/accidents with BTMRR??

Here are some links to MP's coverage of:

The September 2003 accident. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/btmrr_accident/030913btmrr.htm)

The April 2004 accident. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm040407avp.htm)

The July 2004 accident. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/btmrr_accident/)

Andrew
08-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Ahh...

bloodnswash
08-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Careful with that goat. I did it once.....it made me feel like I was going to throw up. :) However, my husband and son do it every time they ride Thunder. Request the very last row.....15. Good luck and have fun!

MrsPooh
08-06-2007, 02:05 PM
I felt exactly the same way for quite awhile. Finally, I brought myself to ride. and it was great. I say a little prayer when we approach the tunnel that had the accident. I believe now there is an angel there.

Yeah, that was me.

Piglet swore he'd never ride it again, and I respected that, especially in light of the circumstances.

But, last time we were there, he said, "Let's do it, mom!" And we did!

We were glad we did. But I felt that momen's hesitation when the ride started! ;)

DianeM
08-06-2007, 02:13 PM
I fell the same way when I ride, although I do ride. I love roller coasters (as opposed to the new thrill rides that spin you every which way). It is a bit creepy knowing that somebody died riding this coaster, but ... accidents happen, and I know the odds, and I believe that DL is working very hard to make sure that their rides are safer. I think it's normal to be afraid when doing something unusual when there is a risk. Before this I could tell myself that there was no risk. Now I can't. Although I know the risk is very, very low, it's still there. It's just human nature to worry. But it's important to rise above our fears and live our lives, so congratulations on deciding to ride again.

padilla6710
08-06-2007, 02:18 PM
The goat trick is the best thing ever. I heard about it 10 or so years ago from my aunt...I wonder how long this little piece of fun info has been going around? My boyfriend and I always sit in the back and look at the goat from the top of the hill all the way down. It is so fun!

TINKERISMYCAT
08-06-2007, 02:25 PM

I think that is a great thought. I will do the same.

Thanks for all the support, I'm almost getting excited to ride now:D!

AlbertaMinnie
08-06-2007, 02:53 PM
BTMRR opened a few days earlier than anticipated after the closure for the accident. We were there that day, and my dh and two dd's convinced me to ride. We were (nervously - at least I was) among the first to climb back aboard the trains, along with some media that were there to document the changes and upgrades. I had to tell myself the Disney doesn't want accidents to happen just as badly as I don't, and that they had made changes and improvements so that it never happens again. Yes, we will always consider the accident before we climb aboard, but we have to trust that all the proper checks have been made. I also think about the accidents that occurred in the past when we enter Innoventions, Sailing Ship Columbia and the Matterhorn too...

Enjoy your ride!

DizneyMommy
08-06-2007, 03:16 PM
I never thought much about it, until I became a mom. My take on it was, yeah it was a horrible accident, but then I was also there by the river the day that the tourist was struck in the head by the cleat from the ship and killed. Just standing there, on solid ground, minding their own business! I figured there are so many freak accidents that could happen I would spend my whole day at the park thinking about what if's and never ride anything.

BUT, now that I am a mom, to a child with a heart condition nonetheless, I have become insanely over protective and over cautious. It's a really good thing I had many years to ride the rides while I was childless, because I'll need therepy before I let my daughter on a roller coaster now!

jenpace
08-06-2007, 03:18 PM
I was also too afraid to ride because of the accidents until our last couple of trips to DL and I've gotten over it but after reading the links to the MP articles...now I'm not feeling so brave anymore :eek:

Here are some links to MP's coverage of:

The September 2003 accident. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/btmrr_accident/030913btmrr.htm)

The April 2004 accident. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm040407avp.htm)

The July 2004 accident. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/btmrr_accident/)

:)Jen:)

shna
08-06-2007, 04:11 PM
I'll bite.

What is "the goat trick?"

Yes -- I used the Search function, and came up with 165 threads with references to the goat trick. I don't have the time to go through all of them (and I don't care enough to go through all of them).

Thanks,

Shayna

Chadsgal
08-06-2007, 04:56 PM
LOL!! I was waiting for someone to ask "What is the goat trick?" There has been many threads about it on here you could probl search & find one. Edit: Oh you have searched I'll do another post w/ a spolier incase others don't want to know

I am always afraid when I think about riding BTMRR but once I am there I too say a quick prayer & get on.

Chadsgal
08-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Goat Trick

At the top of the 2nd life where the goat is eatting the dynamite you keep your eyes on the goat as long as you can and your tummy gets quite the flip flop.

The trick works for my Mom & me but not my DH

GeminiAngel
08-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Goat Trick

At the top of the 2nd life where the goat is eatting the dynamite you keep your eyes on the goat as long as you can and your tummy gets quite the flip flop.

The trick works for my Mom & me but not my DH

Goat Trick Rocks!! Feels like your floating

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-06-2007, 05:39 PM
I never really thought about it much either. I mean, whose to say that the next time I got on Space or Matterhorn, something similar can't happen? AND I feel like maybe BTMRR is safer because of that tragedy. I am a paranoid mom, but I don't live my life in fear, if I did I would not get in my car every day. And I especially don't live in fear at Disneyland.
Aside from POTC, BTMRR is my 5yos favorite ride. My 4yo has 1/2 inch to grow and he will be riding it too.

Mermaid
08-06-2007, 05:48 PM
The goat trick does not work for me. I have tried it many times (even in the last row) and all it did was give me a sore neck! Alas, I guess it is not for me.

I will admit I get a little nervous when I sit in the very front. I also wonder if anyone has ever ridden in that little back part of the engine that you are right behind when you are up there! That idea keeps my mind off of the accident!

junglemom
08-06-2007, 05:50 PM
The goat trick does not work for me. I have tried it many times (even in the last row) and all it did was give me a sore neck! Alas, I guess it is not for me.

I will admit I get a little nervous when I sit in the very front. I also wonder if anyone has ever ridden in that little back part of the engine that you are right behind when you are up there! That idea keeps my mind off of the accident! It doesn't work for me either, it's still fun though. I like to close my eyes for a whole new ride every once in a while. Careful with your back though. It can really get wrenched if you aren't watching and don't know when to brace yourself.

AlbertaMinnie
08-06-2007, 06:04 PM
I like to close my eyes for a whole new ride every once in a while. Careful with your back though. It can really get wrenched if you aren't watching and don't know when to brace yourself.

HAha!! I have a friend who tries not to hold on!!!! Oh man....I rode with her once and my ribs will NEVER be the same!!!! What fun!

Leofoenget
08-06-2007, 06:44 PM
This time I will ride. I feel like this is like Riders Anonymous. I feel better getting this off my chest.(Deep Breath)

nope just a freak......:p

Glass Slipper
08-06-2007, 08:50 PM
I had a thread going several weeks ago about which Disney coaster to try first, since I have yet to ride one....and this upcoming trip will be my 10th visit to Disneyland! Yes, that's nine previous trips with no coasters, so that tells you how much of a chicken I am:) I enjoyed hearing everyone's opinions on this, but now my question is....which is more of a bumpy jolting ride (where you come off with a sore back, neck, ribs, etc.), Big Thunder or Matterhorn? That would be enough reason to keep me from riding....well, unless I planned to have a massage while at the resort:cool:

junglemom
08-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Big Thunder or Matterhorn? That would be enough reason to keep me from riding....well, unless I planned to have a massage while at the resort:cool:
Matterhorn for sure! I am always bruised from that ride. Of course that doesn't stop me from getting on it as often as I can.:p

Chadsgal
08-06-2007, 08:56 PM
which is more of a bumpy jolting ride (where you come off with a sore back, neck, ribs, etc.), Big Thunder or Matterhorn? :

I think the Matterhorn is way more bumpy! Well that is the TL side. The FL side is more mild & I would say that side is close to the same as BTMRR. I think as long as you watch for lean with the turns on BTMRR it's not that bumpy at all you just slide back & forth in you seat.