PDA

View Full Version : An Increase in Special Assistance Pass Holders

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Disneyfreak
07-08-2002, 01:53 PM
I have noticed that their are so many people who are not disabled in the special assistance line without a disabled person. That is just plain wrong. What do you think Disney could do to stop people from cheating the lines.

Fancy Pants
07-08-2002, 01:55 PM
Well lets see, can they do anything? Nope.

All they can do is ask for proof of disability, but nope. that'd be discriminating.

Maybe they should just abolish the whole system like Tokyo Disneyland.

Disneyfreak
07-08-2002, 01:58 PM
nah they cant because the real diabled people cant go on rides then. One of my reletives is retarded and he cant stand in line for more than like 5-10 min so that means he would not be able to go to Disneyland and thats not fair.
I think you should have proof like a diabled pass or have proof like a cast or something like that.

Disneyfreak
07-08-2002, 01:59 PM
But even that would not really work because some peoples disabilities are not visible.

justagrrl
07-08-2002, 02:01 PM
What is so bad (or illegal) about asking for proof of disability?

Fancy Pants
07-08-2002, 02:01 PM
Sure he can go on the rides. They are required to have wheelchair access to their attractions. But a Special Assistance Pass isn't required by law to my knowledge. It's just a courtesy thing that Disney does. If he got a wheelchair that allows him access, it should do the trick.

But anyway, the lines for special assistance is often times longer than 15 minutes (i.e. peter pan, splash mountain, space mountain). If they don't do something, the lines will only get longer with people faking it.

So i agree, they need to do something. But whatever they do will surely anger many.

Disneyfreak
07-08-2002, 02:03 PM
Well people who dont need it shouldnt be doing it in the first place. So the hell with them.

Fancy Pants
07-08-2002, 02:07 PM
I think they should make it harder to abuse. Make it more about having a special access area where you get more attention, rather than a way to skip the lines.

A sort of fastpass return system where you have to come back after the suggested wait time for the attraction maybe.

I don't see a way out of this for Disney other than making the lines wheelchair accessible so that no one really can cheat the system.

cstephens
07-08-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
I have noticed that their are so many people who are not disabled in the special assistance line without a disabled person.

And you know that the people you are seeing are not disabled because...? Because they don't "look" disabled? Is it time for that discussion again? Already?

Fancy Pants
07-08-2002, 02:11 PM
Well people who dont need it shouldnt be doing it in the first place. So the hell with them.

well obviously, but the thing is, people won't stop abusing it as long as the program is there.

and what should really qualify for special assistance? A child who is autistic? Well in some way or another, isn't ever child a little autistic and have some level of ADD? Many children don't want to wait in line and throw fits in the queue, but they bear with it to ride the ride.

Disney Nick
07-08-2002, 02:36 PM
I overheard one of the POTC CMs telling a lady in a wheelchair that all of the rides in DCA are wheelchair accessible. I was thinking about it.. and I can't think of one ride that couldn't be accessed by a wheelchair. Anyone have any info on this?

stinkerbell
07-08-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by cstephens

And you know that the people you are seeing are not disabled because...? Because they don't "look" disabled? Is it time for that discussion again? Already?

I was just thinking the same thing! This can be a hot topic and a button pusher for many of us here on MousePad.

The increase of SAP users this time of year, may be due to the increase in people this season, period. That's a little simplistic, but I don't think it's a system that is WAY overused. I've been in line with people that I've wondered why they aren't using a SAP, when to my discriminating eye, they look to be "eligible"..... and I've read here about "mouthy" people who make demands because they have a SAP. I think the majority of folks fall somewhere in between.

I would hate to see an overabundance of abusers, that makes the future of the system as it is perilous. I hate it when good things end, due to the few who take advantage......:rolleyes:

Lani
07-08-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
What is so bad (or illegal) about asking for proof of disability? I believe that goes against the Americans with Disabilities Act, although I am not 100% certain. One can volunteer the information, but is not compelled to disclosure, if I recall correctly.

dsnyredhead
07-08-2002, 04:51 PM
I have noticed that their are so many people who are not disabled in the special assistance line without a disabled person. That is just plain wrong. What do you think Disney could do to stop people from cheating the lines.

Um, just how do you tell that someone is "Not Disabled"? Just because they can walk a few feet at a time doesn't necessarily mean that they can stand in a long line. It doesn't mean that they can walk for long distances and then stand in a long line either.

Personally, I would have no problem showing proof of my disability especially since my condition can change by the hour. I can be fine one day and then not the next, it's all a matter of how my condition is acting up.

RStar
07-08-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by NMoreles
I overheard one of the POTC CMs telling a lady in a wheelchair that all of the rides in DCA are wheelchair accessible. I was thinking about it.. and I can't think of one ride that couldn't be accessed by a wheelchair. Anyone have any info on this?

Hey Nick,

I can't think of any myself. My wife has been in a wheelchair quite a bit, and if you can't get in the front, you get in the exit. That simple. And I've waited 45 min. for POTC when it was a 10 min. walk on because I had to go through the exit with the wheel chair.

But the SAP aren't really for the wheelchair bound if you ask me. The reason for SAPs is to get these people out of the regular lines and into a special, shorter line, often inside the building and/or in the fast pass line. It is for those who can't stand in lines. Wheelchairs already have a way to be handled. But some one with a bad knee who doesn't need (or can't) be in a wheelchair and can't handle the stairs needs SPECIAL ATTENTION. Mental, attention, age, heat/cold intolorance, and hidden physical dissabilities need the SPECIAL ATTENTION as well.

I wish they could require proof, but understand why they don't. It's a shame if it gets abused.

Bob

DisneylandKid
07-08-2002, 05:03 PM
I've said this MANY, MANY, MANY times before, but I'll say it again. I'm have a (teenage) friend that cannot stand up for more than (about) 15-20 minutes at a time, because of spinal problems (not sure specifics). When we go to DL with her, we have to constantly stop and sit down. However, it is not clear simply by looking at her that she is disabled, so whenever we go on rides using her SAP, I feel bad that people might think we are abusing the pass. (And it isn't any better for us being that we're teenagers.)

I definitely wish that it was more difficult to get one. I know that everytime we go to DL with her, she has no problem telling the City Hall CMs about her disablity (she brings doctor reports to prove it).

Anyway... just wanted to tell.

JeffG
07-08-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by lani
I believe that goes against the Americans with Disabilities Act, although I am not 100% certain. One can volunteer the information, but is not compelled to disclosure, if I recall correctly.

I doubt this is true. Knotts Berry Farm does require some sort of proof of disability (doctor's note, paperwork for a handicapped parking placard, etc.) and I think we have been to other parks that do as well. I can't think of any reason why Disneyland requiring proof before issuing a special assistance pass would be any different than the Department of Motor Vehicles requiring proof before issuing a placard.

My guess is that Disney's "don't ask" policy is simply a matter of somewhat inflated sensitivity. In truth, I doubt that most people who legitimately need the pass would have any objection to providing some sort of proof.

-Jeff

dsnyredhead
07-08-2002, 05:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Disneyfreak
>But even that would not really work because some peoples disabilities are not visible.<

Huh? Not to get picky here, but it appears as "some people's disabilities are not visible" means the same as "people who are not disabled". If the disabilities are not visible, how does one assume a person is not disabled?

HBTiggerFan
07-08-2002, 05:30 PM
JeffG Said: My guess is that Disney's "don't ask" policy is simply a matter of somewhat inflated sensitivity. In truth, I doubt that most people who legitimately need the pass would have any objection to providing some sort of proof.

I bet your right!

stinkerbell
07-08-2002, 05:50 PM
HB, it's prob. like bringing food into the park, or not paying for a 3 year old, or having your kids wearing platform shoes with extra heels to make them taller for a certain ride, or whatever. People who take advantage, will take advantage....... I like Disney's "don't ask" policy, personally. It feels like a more positive way to go. When it gets abused though, that's when there will be an "ask and require proof" type of policy. :( It's a shame. Hope it's not really being abused and that the "invisible" disabilities are just that, and not people taking advantage of a nice system. :)

By the way, I bring food into the park, myself.....for a picky eater only. If we didn't bring in food, she would have to subside for an entire day on cookies or ice cream. Hoping we won't have to our next visit. :)

Disneyfreak
07-08-2002, 06:24 PM
It differs from ride to ride how fast you get on because you have different cms. Some rides like space mountain have only one rocket for the disabled pass so the line for the disabled people are very long in some casses. But on other rides they just let you right on.

Disneyfreak
07-08-2002, 06:25 PM
If you think im abusing it well your wrong I had my aunt with me and she has a broken leg.

MammaSilva
07-08-2002, 07:18 PM
this topic has seen a lot of discussion on many threads and the reality of it is not all disabilities are readily apparent, those of you making judgements when you see a group using a SAP need to stop and think for a moment, I agree that we have all seen serious abusers of the wheelchairs/SAPs by people just wanting to "line jump", should Disney ask for documentation? I always bring ours along so it wouldn't bother me at all, and I'd venture to say it wouldn't 99 percent of the rest of the guests that need that Special Assistance, there will always be a small percentage that take offense to being asked for 'proof', usually the same ones that take their SAP's and then abuse the CM's for not getting them on the attractions as quickly as they feel they deserve after all they do have a SAP.....if Disney put in a program where you went and checked in and had to wait the length of the standby lines that wouldn't bother me either, it would those who want to cheat the system I'm sure. The bottom line is that unless you live with someone/or have one of the MANY 'invisible' disabilites do not jump to conclusions about other guests. I wish I had the ability to post pictures, I could show you 3 of the cutest "kids" you could ever want to meet, not one of the 3 "look" disabled yet all 3 are severely disabled....standing a few feet away you might not be able to "tell", guess what, it's not your JOB to be able to, nor is it the CM's operating the attractions....none of us can make another person honest....all we can do is make sure we are and move foward. I personally am beginning to get a little annoyed with the "look at the SAP abuse" threads that automatically assume because there is no visable disability requiring a wheelchair, cane, crutches or other assistive device readily apparent that guests are abusing the SAP program.....

is there abuse of the program, sure, just like there is abuse of the NSA cards that CM's can hand out, or complaints to City Hall for the sake of attempting to get "free" stuff from Disney...those people will have to live with the choices they make.....

HBTiggerFan
07-08-2002, 09:33 PM
If you think im abusing it well your wrong I had my aunt with me and she has a broken leg.

um..no one was accusing you of abusing the system :confused: :rolleyes:

dizneelover
07-08-2002, 09:46 PM
Too bad asking for proof violates some ADA type law. When I get my SAP's I always offer to show them my doctors stuff, it always seems that once I offer to show it to them they are nicer, I think they suspect most people of cheating.
Also, by looking at me, you really wouldn't know that I fractured a part of my knee, so I don't think it's right that you said all the people standing in the Special Assistance line didn't need special assitance. You have no way of knowing.
~Veronica:)