PDA

View Full Version : Healthy/Low cal food at Disneyland / DCA?

Pages : [1] 2

Snowducks
08-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Okay don't laugh, but I am trying to be good and hate to blow my progress while at DLR for 5 days in September. Any good hints on healthy choices for food at DLR/CA?

jenbolen
08-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Hi, I don't have a lot of info, but a lot of the kiosks sell healthy snacks -- fruit, pineapple slices, trail mix.

I think a good idea would be to look at the menus to restaurants before going to DL would be helpful so you can plan where to eat beforehand instead of trying to find something healthy while AT the restaurant/counter. http://www.mouseplanet.com/drr/index.htm

This article was put up a while ago, and it might help a bit: http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mm060221sw

Good luck!:D:D

disneychick
08-05-2007, 02:18 PM
I second the fruit selections from the snack carts - yes, it's more expensive than what you'd pay in the grocery store, but the fruit is good quality and kept on ice so it's really refreshing. I often chose grapes or the little carrot packs with dip.

Other things I enjoyed:

The soups and sandwiches at Pacific Wharf Cafe in DCA. If you skip the bread bowl and avoid the cream-based soups, the calories aren't too bad and the food is really tasty. Skip the cheese, mayo, etc. on the sandwiches.

For breakfast, the Becky Thatcher Fruit Plate at River Belle Terrace in DL is a great option. Loads of nice fruit and a small muffin.

I also found that ordering a kids meal was a great way to save on calories - the portions are smaller, and the meals come with fruit (usually strawberries and an apple when I was there) and a bottle of water. There is enough food with a kids' portion to be satsified (for me, at least), and I would tuck the fruit and water away to eat later on.

Remember, though, you're going to be packing in a LOT of walking (and probably chugging a lot of water!), so don't be too hard on yourself. Make smart choices where you can, but allow yourself to enjoy some of those special DL treats, too! A churro (not 10!), or a Mickey ice cream (not 3 a day!) isn't going to undo all your hard work, especially with so much activity.

On my last trip, just by taking care to keep snacks as healthy as possible and not go overboard with restaurant meals (opting to avoid deep fried foods, too many desserts, etc), I was able to return from 8 days away having lost 2 pounds. But, I also enjoyed a Dole Whip now and again, and even shared in the Flying Dutchman cookie boat at BB.

Everything in moderation.;)

AVP
08-05-2007, 02:24 PM
The French Market has a dish on this kids menu that has a grilled chicken breast sliced over a portion of rice and served with grapes. If you're on Weight Watchers, I'd estimate that the meal is about 8 points.

AVP

cstephens
08-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Not sure if this will help you, but when we got food from Stage Door today, we noticed that the fried fish and chicken tenders both come with a choice of either fries or apple slices, so you're not necessarily stuck with just getting fries.

seanutbutter
08-05-2007, 03:16 PM
I also found that ordering a kids meal was a great way to save on calories - the portions are smaller, and the meals come with fruit

I second this. I'm technically young enough to order from the kid's menu anyway, but I too have found that the portions are "just right" for me.

I was wondering about eating healthy while at DL/DCA as well. I figure I'll get plenty of exercise in with both walking and swimming, so I shouldn't worry too much. I plan on eating plenty of ice cream/frozen yogurt/Dole Whips. :D

DizneyMommy
08-05-2007, 03:30 PM
You will also find that sometimes they do have salad if you just ask. I know Tomorrow Land Terrace has one but unless they have changed it, it is still not on the menu, Hungry Bear has one and I am pretty sure I saw someone with one at Village Haus too. Carnation has some good options too, and when you sit down and order they tend to be a little more flexible as far as making substitutions and changes. My mom is on Weight Watchers and she is the queen of substituting things at DL to get her point count just right!
The quick sandwiches at the bakery and a few other places are pretty good too, and they come dry so you can add or remove what you choose, only problem is they usually come on a really fattening roll.

BIRDGIRLS
08-05-2007, 05:03 PM
They got rid of the fries at Award Weiners.. now you have a choice of apple slices or Lay's Chips.

Clotho
08-05-2007, 08:24 PM
I have traveled on WW, and these are some amazing truths I have found:

Portion control is much easier, simply because I am 'on the go', and I don't want to weight myself down by eating as much as I might at home where I am just going to plop in front of the TV. If the portions are too big anyplace, ask them to put half in a to-go container. On vacation, I rarely get back to the room in time to eat this other half later, so it seems wasteful, but most places won't just prepare a half-portion, so at the very least you are doing your own portion control and can toss the spare food in the trash when you walk out. Of course, ideally, sharing with your traveling companions works best. Splitting an appetizer and an entree between you is more than enough food and is less than two entrees.

Activity points galore! All that walking! Laughing and screaming! Vacation cuddles *ahem*! All add up to more burned calories than at home. That doesn't mean you have permission to completely slack off, but keep in mind that you will be burning many more calories than usual, so an occasional vacation splurge is okay. Have an extra margarita. Enjoy an ice cream. Indulge here and there as a reward for all the hoofing-it!

Me? I definitely go off the wagon on vacation and still manage to lose weight almost every time (common vacations are Vegas=lots of extra drinking and indulgent meals, and Disney=indulgent meals and snacks). So a little bit of careful eating, even on just the main meal of the day, goes a lot further on vacation.

Congrats on your progress, and good luck!

3duckgirl3
08-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Word to the wise, DON'T order the pizzeta salad at the Wine Country Trattoria if there are fewer than, oh, eleven people planning to eat it. It was absolutely delicious and decent on the health scale, but so big that I don't think I finished a quarter of it. Sigh.

stan4d_steph
08-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Okay don't laugh, but I am trying to be good and hate to blow my progress while at DLR for 5 days in September. Any good hints on healthy choices for food at DLR/CA?I'll second the endorsement for the article I co-wrote with AdrienneK: Dieting at Disneyland (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mm060221sw).

Taking your own snacks is a good idea to stay away from the impulse buys of churros, cotton candy, ice cream treats etc. You can plan in some indulgences, but if you feel hunger pangs in between meals you might want to have something that you know is on plan. I like Luna bars, which typically run 3-4 points each.

I also like the Crystal Light On The Go packets for flavoring water. This will save you money on buying sodas and you can just refill your water bottle with cold water from a fountain.

CV12Pirate
08-06-2007, 08:40 AM
Isn't vacation a time of a break from the norm? To me part of that is eating all the great stuff that isn't good for us. Just so long as I don't a tummy ache... let's eat.

Somebody give me a cheeseburger. :cool:

princess- ada
08-06-2007, 08:45 AM
I'm a huge fan of the grilled chicken sandwich from White Water Snacks. Get it with a side of fruit instead of fries. It is fantastic!!!!

MoKat72
08-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Are you on WW, Snowducks? If so, just follow the Healthy Guidelines (the daily 5 fruits/vegetables, 2 dairy, 6 water, etc.) and realize that you'll be getting a ton of exercise walking around the parks. If you happen to throw in an afternoon swim at the pool or a 20 minute trip to the hotel gym, you should be able to more than afford those tasty treats that are everywhere.

BTW, my "must have" decadent treat is one of those $5 apples from the Candy Palace covered in white chocolate and cookie crumbs and God knows what else. Divine!

kandyk
08-06-2007, 11:18 AM
For sure the key is portion control!!! If you go for a sit type meal split it with someone. The Monte Cristo is a must have for me and my DH but there is no way we should both eat a whole one by ourselves. Most restaurants offer a split plate option for a small charge. Besides saving on calories you will also save on $$$.

DianeM
08-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Drink water, not soda... and always have a water bottle handy. Have breakfast in your room. A bowl of cereal provides fiber (lacking in most fast foods that you get at DL) and will keep you going. The typical restaurant breakfast will have enough calories to fill your quote for the day. Have some treats, but share them with a friend. My husband and I split churros and cotton candy, and I enjoy 1/2 just as much as I would an entire serving. Avoid really high fat foods, and eat reasonable portions. I love the Cajun gumbo at the place next to Blue Bayou. It's in a breadbowl, but I don't have to eat the entier breadbowl, and it's packed with veges. Make sure you eat enough protein. If you don't eat protein, you'll start craving carbs. Teriyaki sticks at Bengal Barbecue are very healthy, high protein and low calorie. I'm pretty sure that Dole Whips are fat free.

Mostly... enjoy. You're going to be exercising a lot. How many days do you walk most of the day? Don't skimp on food, or you'll end up undereating. You don't have to let go entirely, but eat a bit more than you would on a normal day, and let yourself have a little treat (I like a piece of fudge or a sundae) at the end of the day.

Okay don't laugh, but I am trying to be good and hate to blow my progress while at DLR for 5 days in September. Any good hints on healthy choices for food at DLR/CA?

codewoman
08-06-2007, 01:02 PM
When we went to the Tiki Room at the end of July the CM stated that the Dole Whips were only 85 calories! It tasted extra good after that. I think it's just a pineapple sorbet of some sort, so that makes sense. And it is dairy free.

TikiGeek
08-06-2007, 01:19 PM
I really like the grilled vegetable skewers at Bengal BBQ. Nutritious and they fill me up. :)

bloodnswash
08-06-2007, 02:05 PM
At White Water they have a turkey sandwich in the fridge (it is whole wheat bread, turkey, lettuce, and tomato. You add your own mayo or mustard) along with individual chicken salad (nothing on it. They will supply dressing if you ask) and fresh fruit slices (pineapple, honeydew, and cantaloupe). They also have a individual veggie "thing"; this contains slices of carrots, celery, and cucumber. The kids meals at White Water.....you can request the carrots instead of fries. If you do that they usually give you two small packets of carrots.

josephfive
08-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Often we get the chicken plate from Rancho Del Zocalo. The chicken is grilled and comes with rice and beans and tortillas. I eat about half of the breast and chop up the rest for my kiddos and make little burritos for them, using my sides. Plenty for all of us and economical too. I find that if I have enough protein I do much better.

Another word of advice, be sure to give yourself a healthy breakfast with plenty of protein.

Have fun and let yourself have something once in a while, maybe it's a soda or an ice cream or whatever.

kgwoozle
08-07-2007, 12:33 PM
I would love to hear more about the kids meal/ small portion/ options and the non greasey options. I'm not dieting but get ill (just started happening) if I don't watch what I eat.This has concerned me with a trip comming up in a few weeks. Also do any of the kids meals come with toys or the like. I remember getting one years ago that had a mini coloring book CD with it.

stan4d_steph
08-07-2007, 12:53 PM
I would love to hear more about the kids meal/ small portion/ options and the non greasey options. I'm not dieting but get ill (just started happening) if I don't watch what I eat.This has concerned me with a trip comming up in a few weeks. Also do any of the kids meals come with toys or the like. I remember getting one years ago that had a mini coloring book CD with it.

I'll second the endorsement for the article I co-wrote with AdrienneK: Dieting at Disneyland (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mm060221sw).There is a lot of information in that article if you haven't read it yet. I don't believe the meals come with a toy.

CariBelle
08-07-2007, 02:31 PM
The last time I was there the kids meals didn't have a toy, just the "magic straw". So between my nephew and I both eating kids meals we ended up with about 8 of those things lol

DizneyMommy
08-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Toddler meals come with a sheet of stickers, but no toy

Drince88
08-07-2007, 03:36 PM
I was really disappointed when I was there in April about subbing sides. We were at the eatery in Fantasyland that has the Figaro cat with the exit sign off-center, and got two sandwhiches of some sort, and one we could sub a 'healthy' side, but the other we couldn't.

We wanted one healthy side and one 'unhealthy' one, so both my sister and I could have both, but no dice. They ended up subbing a salad, (and charging extra), but gave me 3 side salads. It was really odd, like they really didn't know how to deal with it. The unhealthy side was chips (when we'd wanted the fries, I think) and we ended up giving them to some well-behaved kids on a school trip (the age where they're often NOT well behaved!) since we weren't going to eat them anyway.