PDA

View Full Version : Help me out.

winniepooh
07-08-2002, 05:46 AM
I am visiting CA this August and have 3 days to spend in Disneyland.
My last visit was in 2000 so the only new thing is DCA, but how much time should I spend in DCA ?
I LOVE Disneyland, and I could spend all 3 days there without a problem, but at the same time I am curious about DCA, and I know I want to go see The electrical parade, ScreaminŽ and soaring over California, what else is must do?

Ghoulish Delight
07-08-2002, 07:28 AM
You ask unanswerable questions. Give this thread enough time, and every attraction at DCA will be listed as BOTH a "must do" AND an "avoid like the plague." The only way you'll know for sure is if you go for yourself. About the only constant is that you will need no more than 1 full day (and more likely less) to do the entire park. It is small and uncrowded. So take one (or part of one) of your days, to, and form your own opinions.

hbquikcomjamesl
07-08-2002, 07:57 AM
. . . and don't take anybody's word about an attraction being "not worth bothering with." Not even my own routine deprecations of Mulholland Mistake or the Mission Tortilla Fisasco. ;) (You may as well avoid SuperStar Lemon, since it's closed until further notice anyway.) ;)

tjrj
07-08-2002, 08:08 AM
Must 2nd the above opinions. Go to DCA with an open mind. Our family of four throughly enjoyed our visit there. Try everything at least once. You may find that you are pleasantly surprised.

HowardBeale
07-08-2002, 08:08 AM
Is there nothing interesting/enjoyable/fascinating about seeing a brand new Disney Theme Park in its' first few years of operation?

I would be THRILLED to be able to say "I was at Disneyland in 1956" -or- "I was one of the first guests in EPCOT in 1982" --

For me, I was at Disney-MGM Studios opening week in 1989. And it was not very good. The number of attractions [no TOT, no RockNRoller Coaster, no Star Tours, no Muppets] was very, very sparse. Guests were very, very unhappy with the offerings, and make a bee-line for Guest Relations to criticize the Park and demand their money back.

Good or bad, as a Disney fan, is there not something thrilling about seeing Disney's California Adventure in its' infancy?

There have been so many changes just in the past 18 months, who knows what it will look like in 5 years..

Or is it just more fun to say 'It sucks!' and pass that information on?

cyberRoo
07-08-2002, 08:15 AM
If you read enough threads, you'll also see this refrain...

Visit Disneyland in the mornings, hop over the DCA in the hot and crowded afternoons, and head back to DL in the evening. Especially in August, you'll probably really enjoy the high-capacity, air conditioned shows DCA has to offer, and it makes a nice break from DL.

My don't-miss attraction is the Redwood Creek Trail...

hbquikcomjamesl
07-08-2002, 09:34 AM
Good or bad, as a Disney fan, is there not something thrilling about seeing Disney's California Adventure in its' infancy?

I have to agree with that. For me, it's sort of like attending a rehearsal (either open or invitation-only) of a favorite orchestra, then (that evening, or a day or two later, maybe as much as a week) going to the actual concert. At the rehearsal, you're watching the conductor do a lot more of his or her real work than is done at the actual concert (if a conductor is doing his or her job, all that's left to do at the actual concert is to beat time and cue difficult entries). You get to be privy to discussions on fine points of interpretation. (E.g., I was at a rehearsal once where the concertmistress stopped in the middle of a solo in a Bach violin concerto, and asked if she was playing it "too Jewish." The conductor [himself Jewish, as well as, I believe, the concertmistress] thought for a moment, then replied that he could live with a Jewish Bach, as long [and I'm Bowdlerizing here] as he'd undergone his Bris.)

Enjoy DCA as a work-in-progress. And remember how Autopia cars were being regularly totalled at first, and how the Flying Saucers were supposed to have been wonderful until the world ran out of replacement valves for it, and how Storybook Land was once "The Mud-Bank Ride."

zapppop
07-08-2002, 11:56 AM
I would take the first day in DCA and the rest in DL.

When in DCA, I recommend the following shows and attractions:
The Power Of Blast!
Chance To Shine
MuppetVision ( if you haven't been to WDW Resort yet )
It's Tough To Be A Bug ( if you haven't been to WDW Resort yet )
Soarin' Over California
Grizzly River Run
California Screamin'
Maliboomer
Eureka!: The California Adventure Parade
Main Street Electrical Parade

Those are my favorites in DCA

RStar
07-08-2002, 12:56 PM
If you are park hopping, one way to do it is to go over to DCA during the peak periods of DL, say 1:00-5:00pm on one of the days. You would get just about all of the things done you would want to do. Then on another day plan to see just the parades, or Blast! and Electric Light Parade. But the day you spend the middle at DCA, be sure to get to DL at opening. Then the day you see the Light Parade you could hop back over to DL and close out the park. It's good to do both, open and close the park, they are different experiences. Just try not to do them both on the same day unless you go back to your room for a nap!

Have fun!:D

Traci
07-08-2002, 01:16 PM
As a passholder, I too take advantage of the lessor crowds at DCA and end up just hanging out, seeing Blast, going on Soaring, or just people watching. But as a few members stated, you must give it a chance. How can you not? :thumbsup:

Iceman
07-08-2002, 01:27 PM
Wow! Good advice here from everyone. The only thing I would add is that since you know you love Disneyland, I would recommend visiting DCA the first day. That way you will know how much additional time you want to spend there. If you wait, then you may wish you had more time available to see a few new favorites in DCA.

Matterhorn Fan
07-08-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
I would take the first day in DCA and the rest in DL.

When in DCA, I recommend the following shows and attractions:Here's what Ghoulish Delight was talking about. There are two things on zapppop's "must-see" list that are on my "avoid like the plague" list (I'm sure some of my "must-sees" are on zapppop's "avoid like the plague" list, too). Which ones they are is irrelevant--my point is that you should find out what's there, and decide for yourself what you want to do.

winniepooh
07-09-2002, 03:39 AM
Thank you for the advice, I will most likely go overthere in the afternoon one day, and go on rides. And one night for the electrical parade.

It is not my impression that CA sucks, I am just questioning the amount of magic. I have been looking forward to my trip to Disneyland for 4 months thinking about it every day.
Is DCA really good enough for me to give up any of my precious Disneyland time?
I enjoy Six flags, and I am looking forward to going there again (mainly because of superman) but would I give up one of my 3 Disney days to go there? NEVER!!

coronamouseman
07-09-2002, 04:29 AM
Nice to see a number of posters now adopting the adage of "well just wait until DCA grows up ........."

This form of goodwill towards DCA will most certainly receive a boost and have "legs" when the ToT starts to rise above ground level ...........

Let's hope that Disney recognixes that buzz and interest and finds a way to bring in the RnR Coaster (with it's obvious Hollywood theming) to DCA as soon as possible to bring the park up to at least teenager status ........