PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic - WDW vs. DL

DisneylandBoy
07-07-2002, 07:20 PM
I was just wondering what the differences were between the Fantasmic at DL and WDW. Does anyone know?

Nigel2
07-07-2002, 09:14 PM
Well a few of the major differences are that WDW had a special areana built for theirs and it is at MGM. This does make seating more comfortable and views better since it is tiered seating. Also (didn't stick arround to see it there) but I beleive there is no pirates section since there is no columbia to sail their pool of water, also they use a small boat for the steamboat willie part.:)

sydney
07-07-2002, 09:14 PM
If you're like me and curious but unable to travel across coasts... download videos of each performance. when I got a copy of each, the DL version could be found at disneylandsource.com and the WDW version could be found at wdwmagic.com Who knows if in the unstable world of the web these large videos are still available... but check it out if you've got some bandwidth to spare. ;)

I'm sure other mousepadders will be happy to detail some of the differences here as well.

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
07-07-2002, 11:14 PM
I recently saw the wdw Fantasmic! (May 31st) for the first time - and the differences are huge.

The main difference is at wdw they have a huge 10,000 seat stage. While it is easier to see - you are expecting a show and you are much further away from the action. The D-land Fantasmic! just happens right around the river and very in your face. The pace is much better at the D-land version too.

The wdw is a cheaper show with less performers and more scenes of anamation on mist. Also they took out the jungle book sequence and the peter pan - and put in a long boring pocahontas bit with canoes that look so small and unimpressive.

Rallymonkey23
07-07-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by sydney
If you're like me and curious but unable to travel across coasts... download videos of each performance. when I got a copy of each, the DL version could be found at disneylandsource.com and the WDW version could be found at wdwmagic.com Who knows if in the unstable world of the web these large videos are still available... but check it out if you've got some bandwidth to spare. ;)

I have not seen the show at WDW but, I have wathced it via the web from wdwmagic.com and sydney is right. There is no Peter Pan scene. Instead there is a Pocahontas scene. Also, I remember something about the Jungle Book scene... There was an elephant and birds flying around.... Oh, and the Steamboat Willie part is on a smaller boat. I do remember thinking that the 'water show' looked alot better than the one at DL though. Oh and another thing lol, Instead of Sorcerer Mickey being on a roof of a cider mill, he's on top of a huge rock, and fireworks come out of the rock as well as the water. Hope that helps!

papajorgio
07-08-2002, 08:36 AM
i can't believe how much Fantasmic! blows at wdw....

the least they could do was utilize the big stage and arena space they custom built for it.

you might as well watch the entire show on the mist screen....cause the pocahontas scene is boring.

that was harsh...my bad.

nick.

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
07-08-2002, 10:05 AM
I agree the space is wasted. I think since shows are packed they feel a cheaper show is 'ok'.

I know this sounds silly - but does anyone like their logo? The wdw Fantasmic! logo is all cheesy

LightGuy20
07-08-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
I agree the space is wasted. I think since shows are packed they feel a cheaper show is 'ok'.

I know this sounds silly - but does anyone like their logo? The wdw Fantasmic! logo is all cheesy

I completely agree. The WDW/MGM logo just doesn't work for me. I think it mostly has to do with all the time that I've seen the DL one, and I think it is such a perfect logo. The WDW one, besides just being different, looks like a flashback from the seventies. I always really liked the DL version, I have one of the original posters on my wall and everything.

As for the show, there's not really any comparison. They tried to do pretty much the same show in an ampitheatre. A lot of the magic of Fantasmic is the transformation of something that doesn't look like a stage, into a stage. All of the hidden lights and effects add to the "wow" factor when you see the show. At WDW, that simply isn't there. You know it's a stage the whole time, even though it just looks like a big rock.

My favorite moment in Fantasmic is the Kaa segment. With the searchlights as his "mesmerizing eyes". The snake at WDW is Jafar, and I just don't recall him having these really special eyes, yet that snake does the exact same eye thing. I think they could have at least been red lights or something.

I've only seen the WDW version once. (last jan) The other big differences I remember were the overly long pocahontas segment (that I still didn't get the storyline of - somehow the settlers and natives got into a fight), much longer film segments (with music that sounded shoehorned into the original), and the final boat that just seemed like a toy. I think it was more representative of the actual boat from Steamboat Willie than the Mark Twain is, but again, at Disneyland, it works because you get to see something transformed from an ordinary boat into a part of the show.

There are some segments that work well at WDW (unfortunately none are specifically coming to mind), but overall I think they should have either rewritten bigger chunks of the show, or just created a new nighttime show for MGM.

When I saw the WDW version, only one other person in my group had seen the DL version, but he is a MGM cast member so he was biased to liking his show better. He thought the actual seating area made MGM's much better, and the lack of actual seating was a big problem for DL. (Also the actual seating makes it easier for MGM to set up a snack bar and have walk around vendors before the show)

I was a little surprised that after the show at MGM we were sent to exit through some kind of backstage walkway. We passed a bunch of stored strollers and office trailers and such. Since they use that walkway for guests, I would have liked them to theme it, or at least make some attempt to hide the storage and offices. Maybe that's just me expecting too much though.

Anyhow, that's just my two cents.

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
07-08-2002, 07:50 PM
The 'magic' converstion of an island you can play on during the day to a stage for Fantasmic! at night is very dramatic and awesome.

I like going to the later showing of Fantasmic! at d-land at 10:30 because it is less crowded and you can get in with minimal wait time. The wdw version closes the park with Fantasmic! and since there is just one showing - you have to arrive (according the posted times when i went in May) 90 mins. early to get a seat.

And I'll 2nd the comment of the soundtrack - the extra music for the added scenes at wdw is noticably clipped into the original disneyland version.

What surprises me the most though about the show - is that Disney has not really changed it since it started - I know Ursela is collecting leaves in the back (you can see it from the train). It's still an awesome expensive production.

:-)

papajorgio
07-09-2002, 10:04 AM
As for the show, there's not really any comparison. They tried to do pretty much the same show in an ampitheatre. A lot of the magic of Fantasmic is the transformation of something that doesn't look like a stage, into a stage. All of the hidden lights and effects add to the "wow" factor when you see the show. At WDW, that simply isn't there. You know it's a stage the whole time, even though it just looks like a big rock.

this reminds me, when i saw the wdw show, my gf and i sat next to a family from new york. (spring break '01)
this family has been taking yearly trips to wdw for the past 10 years, and they have been to the disneyland resort once before.
we asked them which they liked better, and the mom said she loved the mgm one, she thought the dl one wasn't as big, it just wasn't a great show like this one in mgm.

i was about ready to slap her after i saw the show, but i restrained myself.

when did the mgm show open?...
i noticed that most of the villains are post-1990 in mgm
most of the seating area sections were named after villains too...

just random thoughts from me....i'm tired and its canoe race season, no sleep.

nick.