PDA

View Full Version : Why Everyone Be Hate'in On The AP's?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ladodgerjon
08-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Sooo... I'm an AP holder, and I generally consider myself to be a nice guy (especially when I attend the parks with my toddler). I don't speak loudly... I don't use my cell phone (much)... I speak in low, considerate tones... I'm well groomed (and wear an understated deoderant)... I treat CM's with the utmost respect... I dress in clean clothes... and I don't cut lines...

Blah, blah, blah. You get the picture. In short, I try to set a nice example for my young son.

So whay all the anger on the boards for AP holders? Why the bad rap?

I see all the comments, but have yet to see any specific examples of why AP'ers are deserving of the nasty reputation.

Are AP'ers responsible for the long lines? Do AP'ers come across as folks with a high level of self-entitlement?

Shed some light!

yellowrosedtxn
08-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Are AP'ers responsible for the long lines? Do AP'ers come across as folks with a high level of self-entitlement?

Glad to know you were understated deoderant! (just kidding!)

But from what I understand from reading a lot on these boards, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Some AP people come across as "deserving" to be treated a certain way. Or snooty or things like that. I don't know because even though I have an AP, I live in Texas and don't get to go to the parks that much.

KDR
08-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Do AP'ers come across as folks with a high level of self-entitlement?

Yup. That's it in a nutshell. It's rather pervasive. No, not all AP holders have the problem, but the ones who do are rather vocal and tend to stand out. When making statements they often start out with, "Well, I'm an Annual Passholder, and . . ." as though that gets them something extra. Sure, that and two-fifty will get you a cup of coffee.

zombie pirate
08-03-2007, 12:55 PM
I honestly dont know why people would bad mouth AP holders.I think its just a target name to vent at. Most AP holders, my family included, have them because we are all basicly just big kids who love to go to Disneyland for the day, and have a good time. You might have a few bad banannas in the bunch, but no more than the normal single day + visitor crowd would.

Bytebear
08-03-2007, 01:06 PM
I don't know that it's entitlement. I think most APers are frequent attendees, and as such, they know how the park operates, meaning they know when to line up for parades, where to stand at fireworks, how to get from Tomorrowland to Adventureland quickly on a busy day. They know how Fastpasses work and when to avoid a long line for Pirates or Jungle Cruise.

The problem arises when someone who doesn't know the ins and outs causes a hiccup in the game plan. If you are needing to get to the Aladdin show before it starts and are rushing across the park, and a large family is strolling down the sidewalk and then suddenly decides to stop for no reason in the middle of the street, or the person in line at the ice cream parlor can't decide between Chocolate or Vanilla. It get's frustrating very fast. It's not the family's fault, but it puts a wrinkle in an otherwise smooth day. Unfortuately, when the wrinkle happens, if you don't breathe, it will get you upset. I know my partner hates strollers. He would ban them (and anyone under the age of 17) from the park altogether. But that's his hang up. And when two big guys are sitting on the tram, and a family of four decides they can squeeze in the row, or you have to wait because someone didn't break down their stroller before the tram comes, or you see a kid bouncing off the seat about to fall out of the tram, it gets annoying. Of course, most of these folks are APers too, so maybe it's not APers who you hate, but big annoying families of APers. Just a thought. :p

KDR
08-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Believe what you will. I know people who have worked the phones in Guest Relations. One of 'em said it was easy to tell when it was going to be a difficult (or even abusive) call because the guest would start the conversation by saying, "Hello, I'm an Annual Passholder." He eventually made a sign that he would hold up when the pronouncement was made.

It read "annual passholder", but the first two letters of the first word were capitalized, sized up, and bolded, as were the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 9th letters of the second word.

kikid
08-03-2007, 02:11 PM
It read "annual passholder", but the first two letters of the first word were capitalized, sized up, and bolded, as were the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 9th letters of the second word.

ok. this is too funny!
(and yes, I'm an AP'er)

Infinitely
08-03-2007, 02:18 PM

I don't think it is funny.

Koala Gurl
08-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Eh, it's the bad few that stick out from the rest of us normal AP'ers.

You can probably assume that a particular set of behaviors belongs to an AP'er, but you probably can't pick the rest of us out from the crowd.

Kinda like those old logic questions, if Sally is wearing blue, is it true that all Sally's are wearing blue. ;)

Mrs Mouse
08-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Kinda like those old logic questions, if Sally is wearing blue, is it true that all Sally's are wearing blue. ;)

Ahh yes... logic. I really do believe that this is the problem here!

Mr. X is a jerk.
Mr. X is an Annual Passholder.
Mrs. Y is an Annual Passholder.
Therefore, Mrs. Y is a jerk.

Although not all Annual Passholder's are actually jerks, unfortunately, Mr. X has to ruin it for the rest of us.

Koala Gurl
08-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Miss Mouse - You said it better than I! :)

kikid
08-03-2007, 02:45 PM
I don't think it is funny.

Just CM's goofing around...(like any employee, at any job!)
Or, maybe I've lived with teen boys waay too long;)

Califgirl
08-03-2007, 02:48 PM
I always hear the entitlement statements from the non-AP holders:

"I've paid $ X,XXX.00 to come here and I want to see the parade, fireworks, Fantasmic (whatever)" as they step in front of you and obstruct the spot you have been sitting in for the last hour or more.

"Those AP holder's can go whenever they want. I only get to go once in awhile so *I* should be able to do ___________(fill in the blank here), after all the AP holders can do it anytime."

Most AP holders are kind and courteous people. Some AP holders do get to go more often than twice a year. But AP holders are not solely responsible for the large crowds or the rude guests, or even that you can't find a spot for the parade.

Add me to the list of people sick of all the AP bashing.

Infinitely
08-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Just CM's goofing around...(like any employee, at any job!)
Or, maybe I've lived with teen boys waay too long;)

I feel it is disrespectful. If I were their manager, I would fire them.

I understand that customers can be frustrating, but to assume because someone is a pass holder they deserve to be called (as if anyone does) is unprofessional.

JamesDL
08-03-2007, 03:28 PM

I understand that customers can be frustrating, but to assume because someone is a pass holder they deserve to be called (as if anyone does) is unprofessional.

Jeez lighten up. Get a sense of humor. It was funny.

Infinitely
08-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Jeez lighten up. Get a sense of humor. It was funny.

I have an amazing sense of humor.

So amazing in fact, I don't get my laughs at calling other people names.

KDR
08-03-2007, 06:04 PM

Well, no one was actually being CALLED that. The sign was held up in the phone room, away from all guests, and only when the caller started off by identifying themselves as an AP holder. Only Guest Relations CMs could ever see it or read it. And, of course, it did actually read "annual passholder."

FWIW, he hasn't worked there in a couple of years, anyway.

Oh, and for the record, yes, I thought it was hilarious. In fact, you're the first person who hasn't found the humor in it. Every AP holder I know got a kick out of it.

The old man
08-03-2007, 06:07 PM
I really don't care one way or the other.

Omnitographer
08-03-2007, 06:13 PM
honeslty....i was and will be again shortly, an AP holder, and there was another AP holder on here that made it shameful to let people know you had one. long ago....but needless to say my feathers were quite ruffled...

KDR
08-03-2007, 06:15 PM

Well, I got my first AP back in 1990. I've seen a lot of very poor behavior by AP holders. A lot of AP holders seem to think that they deserve special treatment (for instance, I often see statements like, "AP holders should have their own special entrance into the park," or other such idiocy) or have special rights that others in the park don't deserve. I'm going by personal observation. Apparently, my experience differs from yours.

JamesDL
08-03-2007, 06:20 PM
I have an amazing sense of humor.

So amazing in fact, I don't get my laughs at calling other people names.

He held up a sign that said annual passholder to people who started off with the I'm an AP line from the get-go. Far from calling other people names.

tunaman68
08-03-2007, 06:42 PM

"I've paid $ X,XXX.00 to come here and I want to see the parade, fireworks, Fantasmic (whatever)" as they step in front of you and obstruct the spot you have been sitting in for the last hour or more.

"Those AP holder's can go whenever they want. I only get to go once in awhile so *I* should be able to do ___________(fill in the blank here), after all the AP holders can do it anytime."

Most AP holders are kind and courteous people. Some AP holders do get to go more often than twice a year. But AP holders are not solely responsible for the large crowds or the rude guests, or even that you can't find a spot for the parade.

As a considerate and courteous AP holder I second this post!!!

Some people are jerks, most people are not, and some jerks go to Disneyland.

adriennek
08-03-2007, 06:52 PM

What Infinitely said.

In Customer Relations, I can appreciate the need to blow off steam. My friend and I each own our own businesses and at times we call each other to vent about a frustrating client situation.

But.

These are your customers. And the number one rule in working with customers is to not assume anything. To hold up a sign behind a customer's back while the customer is on the phone is rude and presumptuous. And I refuse to believe that such negativity doesn't transfer into the customer relations that CM provides, nevermind the hostility it creates in other CMs in the workplace.

If that's the attitude towards the customer, get a new job.

And, FWIW, I don't see the overall attitude here towards APs as negative. I think there are a few members who have a decidedly negative opinion of APs and enjoy reminding us of this, but I'd hardly say that's the prevailing attitude of the board. It's definitely not mine. ;)

Adrienne

darph nader
08-03-2007, 07:13 PM
I can 'kinda' see both sides of the story.
AP's spend big $$$ to go when ever they 'want' to.
Other people spend big $$$,to go 'when' they can.
Sad to say,some people will feel a bit of 'entitlement'.
If you don't believe me PM me.I've got some great horror stories.:mad:

cstephens
08-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Well, I got my first AP back in 1990. I've seen a lot of very poor behavior by AP holders.

I've seen a lot of very poor behaviour by *people* at the resort. Some are definitely APs, some are definitely not, most don't have a sign on their back identifying them one way or the other.