PDA

View Full Version : "Special Treatment" for shows/parades?

Maus
07-06-2002, 09:49 PM
(Wow, after reading all the discussion about "special treatment" for people with disabilities I'm almost afraid to ask this question.)

For the shows/parades at DL/DCA is there special seating for those in wheelchairs? For example where can I find out about seating for "Rockin' on the Bay?" Are families allowed to accompany the person in the chair or should they sit elsewhere?

Thanks,
Maus

MammaSilva
07-06-2002, 10:28 PM
traditionally there are areas "roped" off that are designated for wheelchairs, depending on how many in your group you might be asked to split up and have those who are able to sit outside the area, I'm not sure where they are in DCA, when we went last August there was one right on the edge of the sun fountain area, but when we were there this June it wasn't there....safest thing to do is to stop in and ask at Guest Services at DCA

Uncle Dick
07-06-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Maus
(Wow, after reading all the discussion about "special treatment" for people with disabilities I'm almost afraid to ask this question.)

For the shows/parades at DL/DCA is there special seating for those in wheelchairs? For example where can I find out about seating for "Rockin' on the Bay?" Are families allowed to accompany the person in the chair or should they sit elsewhere?

Thanks,
Maus
I can only think of one "disabled area" off the top of my head. For the Parade of the Stars, disabled seating is available on the right hand side of Main Street, right in front of the Little Red Wagon and Main Street Photo Supply, Co. Don't worry about being split up. As long as the party is of a reasonable size (like, less than 20) you'll be able to sit with your disabled relative/friend.

dizneelover
07-06-2002, 11:34 PM
There is also one for Fantasmic. I believe it's on the far left side of the river. Sorry, but I don't know about the "Rockin Bay" performances. They probably will though. Since they don't usually give out all that info by phone, I think you might have to wait and see when you get there. Sorry:(

teri
07-07-2002, 09:34 AM
I find it incredibly sad that people would be hesitant to ask about accomodations for special needs.

If you want to use the reserved accessible seating area at Fantasmic, in front of Haunted Mansion, you need to get there early. If you are too late, they make no accomodations. I hardly consider this to be special treatment.

In general, for all accessible seating areas, they will try to accomodate guests with disabilities -- sometimes this means that they will ask large groups to split up. that is entirely appropriate. If there is room, you can stay together.

Maus
07-07-2002, 01:15 PM
....safest thing to do is to stop in and ask at Guest Services at DCA

Now why didn't I think of that?? :)

Thanks for your responses,

Maus

AVP
07-08-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by teri
I find it incredibly sad that people would be hesitant to ask about accomodations for special needs.

If you want to use the reserved accessible seating area at Fantasmic, in front of Haunted Mansion, you need to get there early. If you are too late, they make no accomodations. I hardly consider this to be special treatment.

Teri is correct, and I will also point out that the "accessible" seating area for Fantasmic! has an obstructed view, courtesy of two large trees and some signs along the river edge. So, yes, you can get there - you just can't really see from there.

If you are using a wheelchair, I personally recommend sitting directly in front of the "control" panel, all the way to the rear of the seating area against the ropes. This is the best view of the show, although be prepared to get there early to claim that spot. (Or see the 2nd show)

There are usually four reserved areas along Disneyland's parade route: Main Street, next to the Showcase; Main Street, in front of the Corn Dog cart; Fantasyland, in front of the Castle restrooms; and Small World mall, near Fantasy Faire. The new Disneyland park map lists two locations: Main Street, in front of the Corn Dog Cart and another in Fantasyland near the Matterhorn. I'll check that out tonight and see why there is a discrepancy.

There are usually three reserved areas along DCAs parade route: Next to the info booth in the Sun Plaza, across from the Golden Vine Winery, and near the Golden Zephry. The new DCA map shows none.

AVP

teri
07-08-2002, 05:02 PM
That reminds me... if you need a densely shaded spot for viewing the Eureka parade, the best shade is by Golden Dreams. Everything is accessible there, and the crowds are so low that I wouldn't worry about finding a good wheelchair spot for that parade.

If you don't use a wheelchair and need a place to sit, not on the ground, get there early. Otherwise...

AVP
07-09-2002, 08:08 AM
After a quick check last night, I can confirm that the four viewing areas I listed above are the ones that Disneyland is still using. I'm not sure why the map shows a different set, but they are in the usual places.

AVP

Maus
07-09-2002, 11:03 AM
AVP,

Will you be attending Rockin' on the Bay on Saturday to review for MousePlanet? Perhaps you could mention handicapped seating. If you could post a quick note on this board it would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Maus