PDA

View Full Version : Party for the Senses in the Food & Wine Festival [& other specialty events]

ChuckC
08-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Now that the information on the International Food & Wine Festival has been released I am busy making plans for my stay (Sept. 28-Oct. 4). For those who are interested, you can find the info here: http://www.allears.net/tp/ep/foodwine.htm#details

My question is about the Party for the Senses. The only date that I can attend is Sat., Sept. 29 when Al Stewart is present at the Eat to the Beat Concert. The cost is $135.00. The information says that after the concert you can wander among the tasting stations and, I'm assuming, partake in the food and wine.

But can't you do that anyway? Aren't all guests at the World Showcase able to wander among the stations, enjoying the food? If this is so, what does the $135.00 cover? I hope its more than just a reserved seat at the concert. Or do you get coupons that you can use at the tasting stations?

Can someone help me?

Drince88
08-02-2007, 09:28 AM
The Party for the Senses has food and wine stations set up inside the building between Canada and England (where they had the Millenium stuff) and includes reserved(?) seats for the early concert. I've heard of people skipping the concert part if they weren't that interested so they were closer to the front of the line for the party.

These are NOT the kiosks set up around World Showcase where the food and wine is available for purchase.

Have fun!!! Are you planning any other special events?

ChuckC
08-04-2007, 02:47 AM
:crying:
The Party for the Senses has food and wine stations set up inside the building between Canada and England (where they had the Millenium stuff) and includes reserved(?) seats for the early concert. I've heard of people skipping the concert part if they weren't that interested so they were closer to the front of the line for the party.

These are NOT the kiosks set up around World Showcase where the food and wine is available for purchase.

Have fun!!! Are you planning any other special events?
Thanks for the info, Drince and I apologize for the delay (called away on family issues.:eek:).

Yes, I am planning for other events. I'd like to attend one or some of the food and wine pairings. I would like to try out the Tutto Italia and, possibly, Mediterranean Flavors at Marrakesh.

Another attraction is The Cook, the Book, and the Bottle. The only one that I would be able to attend is with Mireille Guiliano on Sept. 28, which is the day that I arrive. But I would only be able to see, at the most, is an hour of the presentation. At $150, probably not worth it.:crying:

Therefore, I will probably have to settle for the cheese tasting on Sat., Sept. 29 (France: Tyler Hawes of the American Milk Studios).

The Eat to the Beat concerts with Otis Day and, especially, the Beach Boys, are enticing. One question I have is: Do I have to have a reservation for just the concerts?:confused: Or is it, first come, first seated? I believe you can see and hear the music from the walkway but, of course, that would not be as attractive as sitting in the concert bowl.

A conflict that I have with my original plan to attend the Party for the Senses (Sept. 29 at $135) is that I have an ADR at Spoodles for 6 PM. I'm on the DDP and have ADRs at Le Cellier (lunch), Chefs de France, Teppan Edo, Whispering Canyon (all dinners), and, on my last day, Garden Grille (lunch). I will already have eaten at Akershus (dinner). If I stay with Spoodles, one of my ADRs will have to be OOP. Is it worth giving up Spoodles to go to the Party for the Senses?:confused:

I'm staying at the Boardwalk Villas so I could easily get to Spoodles for breakfast or lunch.

To conclude: since I'm brainstorming with this post, I guess I will hope to attend the wine and cheese tasting on Sept. 29, Tutto Italia on Sept 30, Mediterranean Flavors on Oct. 2, and, maybe, the Party for the Senses on Sept 29. Definitely, I would like to attend the Beach Boys concert. Maybe someone will advise me whether these programs are worth the money (and time) spent.

Thanks.

Drince88
08-04-2007, 03:52 AM
I can't advise you on Spoodles vs Party for the Senses (actually haven't done either :eek:)
The concerts are totally first come first serve, though there might be some reserved seating for special groups (like the PftS people?) - My understanding is that it's basically like the Candlelight, without the dinner package component.

I LOVE the Food & Wine Pairings. You get three appetizer sized foods (not appetizer sized like the kiosks, but more like the WDW restaurants, maybe a touch smaller) - and 3 wines - usually one food that's more desserty.

The only other 'extra cost' thing I've done is one of the Sweet Sunday presentations they had last year, and I enjoyed that -but it just doesn't work out with our schedule this year (arrive Sunday, leave Sunday).

Our (my sister and I) top three pairings we wanted to go to were Marrakesh, Italy, and Le Cellier, and since Italy is on Sunday, we are just going to go for the 2. I'm not sure about the other restaurants, but I know that LeCellier does different wineries/food each time. There were A LOT of people at the LeCellier one last year that had been to just about EVERY LeCellier pairing. I missed by a week or two a pairing they had that was 3 different ice wines, paired with at least 2 non-dessert items. That would have been interesting.

A couple years back, the pairing at Alfredo's introduced me to two wines that I bought when I came back home. Banfi Princeppesa Perlante (I don't have a bottle here, so that Princess word is probably way off in spelling) which is a very lightly effervescent white wine, and Banfi Rosa Regale (a rose sparkling wine - goes GREAT with chocolate!) I have made a point of getting a glass of Rosa Regale and a chocolate dessert every year since at one of the kiosks. Last year, I even treated myself to an extra glass one morning :eek: from the Fountainview bakery that they sell wine from during the fest.

The pairings are also fairly 'single' friendly, since you're seated with others. Unless you're super outgoing, I'm not sure how single friendly the Party for the Senses would be. It's actually one of the things that's kept me from doing it on my solo trips, and this year we're doing the TOT 6.5K which is Saturday night.

Drince88
08-06-2007, 04:03 AM
I expanded this thread title to include all the extra-cost specialty events, since we'd already swayed into that direction.

Grrrrrr. I just got off the phone, completing my call 1 hour after the phone lines opened (after many 'all circuits are busy' messages), and I did NOT get the pairing for LeCellier that we wanted - it was already sold out. I think the pairings at LeCellier are harder to get then a dinner reservation there!

I did get our Marrakesh pairing, so it's not a total loss, but grrr. We might try to get a fill-in spot for a no-show, which Disney is MORE than happy to do, since the tickets are non-refundable, so they get paid twice for the event if there are no shows.

Anyone else have good/bad luck this morning?

ChuckC
08-06-2007, 05:14 AM
I expanded this thread title to include all the extra-cost specialty events, since we'd already swayed into that direction.

Grrrrrr. I just got off the phone, completing my call 1 hour after the phone lines opened (after many 'all circuits are busy' messages), and I did NOT get the pairing for LeCellier that we wanted - it was already sold out. I think the pairings at LeCellier are harder to get then a dinner reservation there!

I did get our Marrakesh pairing, so it's not a total loss, but grrr. We might try to get a fill-in spot for a no-show, which Disney is MORE than happy to do, since the tickets are non-refundable, so they get paid twice for the event if there are no shows.

I also spent nearly an hour on the phone starting at 7:00 and experienced, like you, many, many "all circuits are busy." I got through once and after waiting seven minutes (and listening to Muzak) was dropped.:mad: Trying again, I endured many more busy circuits messages, until I finally got through again. I waited about 20 minutes before I got through to a live CM.

I wanted three of the Food and Wine Pairings. My first choice was Sake, Sushi, and Sashimi at Japan but was informed that it wasn't available for Oct. 1. My second choice was Mediterranean Flavors at Morocco and that was available for Oct. 2. My third choice was Bistro de Paris at France and that too was available for Sept. 29. So two out of three ain't bad though I am going to miss Sake, Sushi, and Sashimi but I do have an ADR at Teppan Edo for Oct. 2.:p

Thanks for the info on filling in on No Shows. I might try it if I'm in the area.:cool:

BTW, one good thing that came out of my experience is that I'm now an "expert" on speed dialing with a cell phone.(laughing)

stan4d_steph
08-06-2007, 06:32 AM
Hmm... sounds like it's too late to even consider doing any of these. I wasn't too sure since I'm heading down mainly for the ToT race and going with a coworker who may not be as into the extra food and wine cost. I guess I'll just have to enjoy the regular offerings at Epcot!

Drince88
08-06-2007, 06:34 AM
It may not be too late for everything, Steph - but there is a lot to do without paying up front. My sister and I will have multiple meals by snacking around the world showcase! (I'm SOOOO not keeping track of the points on those things!!!)

stan4d_steph
08-06-2007, 06:38 AM
It may not be too late for everything, Steph - but there is a lot to do without paying up front. My sister and I will have multiple meals by snacking around the world showcase! (I'm SOOOO not keeping track of the points on those things!!!)Thumbs up on that! I was hoping there'd be something centered around New Zealand, but I don't see anything. That would have been fun to do. I need a guide to the "who's who" of the chefs!

Drince88
08-06-2007, 06:49 AM
I'm thinking there was a New Zealand food booth last year. I can double check when I get home (and let you know what they had). It MAY have been an Australian booth, though. They have had special sections in the past (not sure if every year) for Australian wines. I know - NOT THE SAME, but at least that quadrant of the globe is represented!

I actually haven't done any of the free cooking demos, in part, because of the time committment. For some of them (particularly on the weekends) you have to line up as soon as they're through letting people into the previous one.

stan4d_steph
08-06-2007, 07:26 AM
The cheese tasting sounds interesting, but I think it would be a bad idea to eat a lot of cheese in the afternoon before running the 13K! Ugh, I can just imagine the indigestion.

The food and wine pairing on Oct. 28 at Tutto Italia might be do-able. At least that would be after the race, and I would be interested to see what Patina has on offer.

I so wish I could go to the "Bordeaux - Inspiration for Anton Ego" dinner. Sounds like fun!

The only other event I am considering is the Sweet Sunday on October 28.

Little John
08-06-2007, 02:01 PM
It may not be too late for everything, Steph - but there is a lot to do without paying up front. My sister and I will have multiple meals by snacking around the world showcase! (I'm SOOOO not keeping track of the points on those things!!!)

My wife and I were just trying to figure out how we could calculate the points for the Kiosk samples (tastes? portions?). I think we finally decided that calculating the points was going to be near impossible, so we probably just won't write them down.

I wish you could bank points for more than one week...

Anyway, I was on hold for a while this morning and the Scotch pairing at Rose and Crown was sold out. The same with the Sake, Sushi, and Sashimi pairing for 10/22.

I was able to get the Wine pairing at the Coral Reef on 10/24 and that's about it.

I thought about Party for the senses on 10/20, but opted for Spoodles at 8pm instead as that was easier on the vacation budget. :fez:

Drince88
08-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Oh, I'm actually kind of glad the scotch one was sold out (though of course, I wish you'd gotten the last seats, Little John)! I would have had to come a day earlier to do that, but it was very tempting!

Little John
08-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Oh, I'm actually kind of glad the scotch one was sold out (though of course, I wish you'd gotten the last seats, Little John)! I would have had to come a day earlier to do that, but it was very tempting!

It was very frustrating especially since the cast member told me it sold out almost immediately this morning. I didn't even have a chance.

I guess I'll just have to go to the Rose & Crown and sample the scotch myself. :D

NYC
08-06-2007, 04:55 PM

Wow Drince, the “force” must have been with me this morning since I got every reservation I wanted for my 9-day vacation…and I have almost one “specialty event” scheduled for each day, including LeCellier. I was actually off the phone by 7:25 AM. We have been to sooooo many WONDERFUL F&W events, but this will be our first time to LeCellier. This seems to be very popular…what especially makes this so special? I am really excited about this one.

Hopefully you will be able to take the place of a “non-show” at LeCellier, but Marrakesh seems great, also. Please let me know how you like it, since I may consider this next year. We actually really enjoy the food and atmosphere at Marrakesh, and it might turn out to be a great pairing.

Also, on a personal note, since I have recently been participating in the MousePlanet board, I noticed that you give such sage advice. Exactly how often do you go to WDW to know so much about it?

ChuckC
08-07-2007, 02:23 AM
Wow Drince, the “force” must have been with me this morning since I got every reservation I wanted for my 9-day vacation…and I have almost one “specialty event” scheduled for each day, including LeCellier. I was actually off the phone by 7:25 AM.

Hm-m-m. Just how many phones did you use? And how many persons were calling on your behalf?:fez::D:p

NYC
08-07-2007, 03:18 AM
Hm-m-m. Just how many phones did you use? And how many persons were calling on your behalf?:fez::D:p

I must have just timed my call right, Chuck. I called right at 7:00 AM and, although I had a wait, it wasn't that long. My trip is toward the end of the festival. Maybe that had something to do with being able to get the reservations I wanted....or maybe I just booked events that others didn't want.

Drince88
08-07-2007, 04:05 AM
I'm happy that you were able to get all you wanted, NYC! Last year on the first day of the reservations I was actually at WDW and was having troubles getting through on the phone, so I threw my clothes on and went downstairs to guest services, and only had to wait for them to navigate through the computer system to get my reservations. I'm curious to see how another poster who's there now did with that!

LeCellier is popular for the pairings for (I think) many of the same reasons it's popular for dining. When I was there last year there also seemed to be this core of locals that went every week.

ChuckC, were you able to get your Party for the Senses, or did you decide to skip that for this year? Anyone else have luck on that reservation?

KJSJpipe
08-07-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm happy that you were able to get all you wanted, NYC! Last year on the first day of the reservations I was actually at WDW and was having troubles getting through on the phone, so I threw my clothes on and went downstairs to guest services, and only had to wait for them to navigate through the computer system to get my reservations. I'm curious to see how another poster who's there now did with that!

It went pretty well. We went down to the Front Desk area Monday morning to check out and get our reservations for the PoS for Saturday October 20. While my friend got in line to check out I went to the GS desk. I waited a couple minutes for my turn then talked to the feloow about getting ressies. He did not think I could do it through them, checked with the lady at the next desk who confirmed it. They did give the phone number to call (407-WDW-FEST) and answered some q's I had about the Kids Programs while we are at the Party. We went to Olivia's for breakfast and made the call after breakfast, it was probably about 10am. We got right through and both were able to make our ressies for the Party, 2 people per reservation. It went smoothly and very quickly.:)

Drince88
08-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Well, I'm glad it worked for you. I bet they just didn't KNOW they could do it, since it's part of the dining system! I'm just glad it wasn't something that sold out fast! I ran into the same problem when I went down last year, "I don't think we can do that" - and I 'made' them look and see. It probably helped that it WAS 7 in the morning, and nobody else was waiting to be helped!

ChuckC
08-07-2007, 12:19 PM
ChuckC, were you able to get your Party for the Senses, or did you decide to skip that for this year? Anyone else have luck on that reservation?

I decided to skip the P for the S in lieu of going to Spoodles. I read a wonderful review (very recent) of the restaurant and I decided to keep my ADR.:p The events that fit my schedule with the minimum of tweaking were the Food and Wine pairings. I would've like to have tried Tutto Italia but my Sat. schedule is still in flux and I didn't want to commit to having to be at EPCOT when I could be at the MK or the AK.

Planning is wonderful, isn't it.:eek: