PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to Pop after fireworks at Contemporary?

THpoohbear
08-01-2007, 10:16 PM
One night we'll be watching the 10 pm MK fireworks from the Cal. Grill. The MK closes right at Wishes that night. Do you think the best bet is to monorail to the MK and then get in line for our bus OR to perhaps monorail over to Epcot and get a bus from there? Will buses still be running from Epcot even though it closes at 9? I'm worried about being behind the masses exiting the MK and waiting for a bus. I guess we could take a taxi, but this is a low budget trip.

Any insight into what might get us back the fastest is appreciated.

anniedg
08-01-2007, 10:25 PM
It's actually a nice stroll from the contemporary to MK. You could linger a bit at the Contemporary, walk to MK and maybe the crowds will have thinned for the busses??? EP seems a long way to go to avoid the crowds, especially because your plan would involve a monorail transfer at the TTC.

Drince88
08-02-2007, 04:37 AM
I think the walking to the MK is probably your best bet. Another HUGE issue with taking the monorail to the MK from the contemporary is the direction of travel. If the monorails are experiencing the 'end of fireworks crowding' you're going to have a TOUGH time getting on them, since the contemporary is the first stop after the MK on the resort line.

Also, they are really good about running a lot more buses at closing time, so even though there will be a lot of people, it's not necessarily a super long wait.

I did take a taxi last year and the taxi driver took the LONG way back to the POR, because I figured it would be more relaxing then getting in with the crowds. But it ended up being much more irritating then it needed to be because the driver took the long way back to the resort.

Cheshire Figment
08-02-2007, 05:44 AM
The leisurely walk from the CR to the MK Bus Parking is actually shorter than the distance from the MK monorail station to the bus parking.

efoxx
08-02-2007, 06:21 AM
I'm going to suggest an alternative which might on the surface appear to be out of the way, but actually makes sense. when wishes is over thousands of people will be fleeing the MK and flooding the bus stops. one alternative would be to take the bus from the contempo to DTD and transfer to the Pop bus. this would have the advantage of not having to wait in a long line for a bus and almost guarantee you a seat.

THpoohbear
08-02-2007, 09:47 AM
I think the walking to the MK is probably your best bet. Another HUGE issue with taking the monorail to the MK from the contemporary is the direction of travel. If the monorails are experiencing the 'end of fireworks crowding' you're going to have a TOUGH time getting on them, since the contemporary is the first stop after the MK on the resort line.

Thanks Drince - good point! I hadn't thought about that yet.

I did take a taxi last year and the taxi driver took the LONG way back to the POR, because I figured it would be more relaxing then getting in with the crowds. But it ended up being much more irritating then it needed to be because the driver took the long way back to the resort.

Oh My Gosh - I hate that! It's so frustrating to me when taxi drivers do that to rack up the cash. Did you say anything? Several times this has happened to me overseas when I didn't know the language and my choice was just to go with it or to hop out.

The leisurely walk from the CR to the MK Bus Parking is actually shorter than the distance from the MK monorail station to the bus parking.

Also, a good point! So I guess there's no sense in us doing the monorial. I was thinking it'd be nice and quiet, but after Drince's point, I can see that wouldn't be the case.

I'm going to suggest an alternative which might on the surface appear to be out of the way, but actually makes sense. when wishes is over thousands of people will be fleeing the MK and flooding the bus stops. one alternative would be to take the bus from the contempo to DTD and transfer to the Pop bus. this would have the advantage of not having to wait in a long line for a bus and almost guarantee you a seat.

Hmm.. is this what you would do? Do you think this might be faster than grabbing a bus at the MK? Standing is okay for this trip since we will have been sitting down a lot this day, including dinner. But we have an early morning the next day so I'm looking to get to sleep as quickly as possible.

So my next question would be... if I'm inside the Contemporary tower, how do I navigate my way to the path to the MK?

efoxx
08-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Hmm.. is this what you would do? Do you think this might be faster than grabbing a bus at the MK? Standing is okay for this trip since we will have been sitting down a lot this day, including dinner. But we have an early morning the next day so I'm looking to get to sleep as quickly as possible.probably faster. the walk to the bus stops at the MK will be about 10 min. then you have to find your bus, and get in line. it is possible, depending on the time of year you go, and whether this is an EMH evening that you could wait for several buses before finally getting to board one. on the other hand, if you are lucky the wait for a bus to DTD will be only a few minutes, and the transfer to your hotel should be a short wait also. but this is not guaranteed, the down side is if you just miss a bus it could be 20 min. for the next one, and if you miss connect at DTD it could be longer. what I am suggesting is an alternative plan. if during the course of the day you notice big crowds you may want to do this.

So my next question would be... if I'm inside the Contemporary tower, how do I navigate my way to the path to the MK?down stairs to the first level head out the front entrance and follow the path across the street and down to the bus stops. it's as simple as out the door and to the left. only question I have, and I don't know the answer is, has the construction at the contempo altered or even closed this path?

anniedg
08-02-2007, 07:02 PM
When we were there in June, construction was going on and the path was still clear.