PDA

View Full Version : Tips and tricks while staying at Grand Californian Hotel

kgwoozle
07-31-2007, 06:41 PM
I just booked into the GHC for Aug. 07 and wondering if anyone has any advise for staying there. Are there any secret perks, , any special activities, or any special tips. I have heard that there is a special entrance, and that there are tours of the hotel and that you get chocolates on your pillow. What should I look for and what should I expect?

Thanks

BIRDGIRLS
07-31-2007, 07:08 PM
The special entrance to DCA is by the pool.

ochibiyo
07-31-2007, 07:36 PM
HI There! You will love the GCH, it's great! I know that if you call ahead and celebrating something special - you can get balloons and an autograph pic in your room. Also if you have stuff animals out, the turn down maid will pose them in a cute scene on your bed. Have a great time!

BGLeduc
08-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Not sure if they still do it, but on my last two visits (2004 and 2005), they had a "Learn to Draw Mickey Mouse" class in the Hearth Stone Lounge.

They also had a special tour of Condor Flats that was kind of hush-hush, but all you had to do was show up at the DCA gate before official park opening. The cool part was that they allowed our group to ride Soaring before the park opened. The CM schpeil was kind of "explaining" why DCA was DCA (we have all heard that before), but it was very interesting.

I learned about it from the CM that did the "Mickey" class.

Lastly, there is a flyer placed in your room daily that lists all the activities available at or through GCH. One activity my daughter enjoyed was an early opening of "Build a Bear". It costs the same, and in fact it is probably more crowded than at other times, but it was fun and it was limited to hotel guests.

I will be back in late November, and hopefully some of these activities and more will be on the schedule.

Brian

yellowrosedtxn
08-01-2007, 11:39 AM
They also had a special tour of Condor Flats that was kind of hush-hush, but all you had to do was show up at the DCA gate before official park opening. The cool part was that they allowed our group to ride Soaring before the park opened. The CM schpeil was kind of "explaining" why DCA was DCA (we have all heard that before), but it was very interesting.

Lastly, there is a flyer placed in your room daily that lists all the activities available at or through GCH. One activity my daughter enjoyed was an early opening of "Build a Bear". It costs the same, and in fact it is probably more crowded than at other times, but it was fun and it was limited to hotel guests.

I will be back in late November, and hopefully some of these activities and more will be on the schedule.

Brian
Let us know if you will, because we are going to be there in December for the first time. I am so looking forward to staying there!

Thanks

carolinakid
08-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I've stayed at the Grand Californian in Dec 04 & May 06 and will be there again from Dec 9-Dec16 07. In the room each day they leave you a schedule of all the events going on at the hotel- tours, crafts, kid stuff, etc. My absolute favorite thing to do is the fitness walk on certain mornings throughout a closed DCA! I think it begins at 7AM and you are led through the park with a personal fitness instructor and of course you can talk to him and ask any questions you want and I learned some interesting behind the scenes stuff. I think the group is limited to 20-25 guests but I went 3 times and never had any trouble getting in. Also the Hearthstone Lounge is a beautiful place to chill and have a drink. You're gonna love the GC I'm sure.

neverlander
08-02-2007, 07:04 AM
We totally missed White Water Snacks during our first visit. Good food, very convenient.
Also, as a resort hotel guest, you are entitled to early entry every day it's offered.

yellowrosedtxn
08-02-2007, 07:19 AM
My absolute favorite thing to do is the fitness walk on certain mornings throughout a closed DCA! I think it begins at 7AM and you are led through the park with a personal fitness instructor and of course you can talk to him and ask any questions you want and I learned some interesting behind the scenes stuff. I think the group is limited to 20-25 guests but I went 3 times and never had any trouble getting in. Also the Hearthstone Lounge is a beautiful place to chill and have a drink. You're gonna love the GC I'm sure.

How cool. I am usually up between 5 and 6 so that would be a great way for me to burn some energy and to keep quiet so everyone else can sleep. I can't wait!

shamrockshake
08-02-2007, 10:42 AM
We love the GCH. Last time we did the scavenger hunt. At the end your kid gets a nice cookie. And some friends of mine became the grand family of the day after the hunt. They got a balloon bouquet and we allowed access to the concierge level for the day. And a certificate stating they are the grand family.

the corn chowder and french toast at the storybooktellers cafe are wonderful.

Have fun!

seanutbutter
08-02-2007, 05:26 PM
My absolute favorite thing to do is the fitness walk on certain mornings throughout a closed DCA! I think it begins at 7AM and you are led through the park with a personal fitness instructor and of course you can talk to him and ask any questions you want and I learned some interesting behind the scenes stuff.

That sounds great! Hopefully my mother and I will be able to get a spot in that as we both love walking.

sierranevada
08-02-2007, 06:37 PM
From prior stays at GCH:

DLR Grand California Hotel has a few things special to only its guests:
They have a "Grand Quest" everyday from 4 - 5 pm (it will be listed on the info sheet they put in your room with turn down). The Grand Quest is a scavenger hunt in the hotel. Once you have completed it, you turn in your sheet to guest services and you get a coupon for a free cookie. The first family that completes the quest is chosen as the "Grand Family of the Day". We just did it in December and as the Grand Family you get a big balloon bouquet, a picture with the resort CMs, we got a free photo with Santa (don't know if they will substitute something else during nonholiday season) but the best part was you get the key to the Craftsman Lounge (concierge) for that evening to enjoy the snacks and watch the Fireworks!

They also switch between early entry into Lego Store to build something and early entry into Build A Bear to build a stuffed animal.

They offer on the weekends during busy times, an E-ride experience especially for teens (offering times are always subject to change). There was an added fee (use to be $15 per person), but this basically was a guided "tour" for teens with no-waits to ride 5 E-ticket attractions at both Disneyland and California Adventure. (Tower of Terror, California Screamin', Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure and Big Thunder Mountain I believe were the featured attractions). Check with the CM when you arrive. They also have an "Arts & Crafts" tour. It is free, lasts about 60-90 minutes, and is a guided tour of the hotel, pointing out all the handmade design features and artifacts at the hotel, as well as giving a behind the scenes look at the planning and building of Disney's Grand Californian Hotel. If you are into the Arts and Crafts movement at all, you will love this tour. They usually have one tour per day.

miss bianca
08-02-2007, 07:13 PM
I've stayed at the Grand Californian in Dec 04 & May 06 and will be there again from Dec 9-Dec16 07. In the room each day they leave you a schedule of all the events going on at the hotel- tours, crafts, kid stuff, etc. My absolute favorite thing to do is the fitness walk on certain mornings throughout a closed DCA! I think it begins at 7AM and you are led through the park with a personal fitness instructor and of course you can talk to him and ask any questions you want and I learned some interesting behind the scenes stuff. I think the group is limited to 20-25 guests but I went 3 times and never had any trouble getting in. Also the Hearthstone Lounge is a beautiful place to chill and have a drink. You're gonna love the GC I'm sure.

how long does the walk last?

yenko427
08-03-2007, 02:15 AM
I'd like to know when they offer the e ticket ride experience.......we are going late Sept. Has anyone else done this and if so at what time of year?

carolinakid
08-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Miss Bianca, If I recall correctly, the walk is about 30-45 minutes long. You begin & end with several minutes of stretching (the trainer guides you) and you walk briskly through all areas of the park-Hollywood Pictures Backlot,Golden State, A Bug's Land, & Paradise Pier. As I said the park itself is closed to guests at that time so you feel as if you're a CM, the park is so beautiful, clean & quiet. The 2 instructors we had were so friendly and kind & were careful to look out for those who weren't perhaps that physically inclined, and shared alot of backstage info, rumors & opinion with those of us who were walking right next to them.

BIRDGIRLS
08-03-2007, 02:43 PM
I'd like to know when they offer the e ticket ride experience.......we are going late Sept. Has anyone else done this and if so at what time of year?

Me and my sister did this last summer when we stayed at the hotel. It's pretty cool, if I recall correctly we went on Matterhorn, Indiana Jones, Tower of Terror, Grizzly, and California Screamin'. I might be missing a couple rides though. Anyways, it was pretty fun, and the tour guide guy tells some secrets about the rides and gets us through the fastpass line (or exit) for the rides.

carolinakid
08-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Hey Y'all!
I found my old activities list from my last stay at the Grand Californian (May 2006) and this is the info about the Fitness Walk With some corrections from my earlier posts:
"Get up and go" Fitness Walk
Start your day off on the right foot by joining one of our Guest Activities instructors on a very brisk power walk through DCA park before it opens for the day! The fitness walk will begin promptly at 7:30 am & conclude at 8:15 am. Please meet at the Grand Californian DCA gate at 7:25 am. Minimum age to participate is 14 years. There is no fee or park ticket needed for this activity. Please contact Guest Services to sign-up, space is limited.

Again this was the BEST thing I enjoyed during my stay and I went each day it was offered.

MadasaHatter
08-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Hey,

Love the GCH. Have been a couple of times and back this autumn. After reading this thread will try the scavenger hunt. We did the tour of the hotel and it is awesome.

One of my favorite tips is grabbing cheese and bread from the bakery in DTD and eating it with wine on our balcony. I used to bring wine down but now they don't let you take it on the plane...bummer.

CHEESE PLATE at Napa Rose. If you love cheese you are in hog heaven. You can get this at the bar and have a nice glass of wine and feel like you have had a dining experience without shelling out the big bucks (which are worth it if you want) If you don't like cheese just get one of their desserts which are amazing too. Or heck, get both!!!

Here is one of our favorite things to do; Do the park(DCA OR Dland but skip GRR. Then in the afternoon we go back to the room and put on our swimming gear with a t shirt and head to the pool....walk by the pool gate...walk into DCA.....walk onto GRR.....get as wet as you want.....exit DCA and jump in the pool after ordering your Margarita!!! ( In the off season there is NO BAR at the pool but if you go into the bar in the hotel and tell themyou want a drink for the pool they put it in a plastic cup. Another handy tip.)

The piano players are all talented and nice. I think I even sang a song with them once. They also do story telling by the fire place and OH here is another tip that I JUST FOUND out ....there is a fire also OUTSIDE that services the same fireplace. Chairs are around that and it is quite comfy....

CHEERS

kisroo
08-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Here is one of our favorite things to do; Do the park(DCA OR Dland but skip GRR. Then in the afternoon we go back to the room and put on our swimming gear with a t shirt and head to the pool....walk by the pool gate...walk into DCA.....walk onto GRR.....get as wet as you want.....exit DCA and jump in the pool after ordering your Margarita!!! ( In the off season there is NO BAR at the pool but if you go into the bar in the hotel and tell themyou want a drink for the pool they put it in a plastic cup. Another handy tip.)

Or Mojito...they do a decent Mojito at the walk up bar. ;) I have to say, I will *only* ride GRR if we are heading right back to the hotel or to the pool now! :p

The info sheet they leave in the room is very helpful. When we were there in June, they were only doing the "EE" to DCA on the same EE as DL. That was kind of a bummer.

They also do the same sort of thing as the Build a Bear with Sephora. You sign up, pay a certain amount, and get in for an hour or so in the morning for a demo. You get your "fee" back as a gift card to Sephora.

~kisroo:)

brerboys
08-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Do they offer similar perks while staying at the DLH?

toncasmo
08-08-2007, 01:04 PM
or how about if you're staying at paradise pier? any similar perks there?