PDA

View Full Version : What's Up With The Plaza Pavilion?

Pages : [1] 2

ladodgerjon
07-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Does anyone know when the Plaza Pavilion served its last meal?

Does anyone know WHY the Plaza Pavilion sits dormant?

Does anyone know what the future holds for the Plaza Pavilion?

I remember that, for awhile, it served as a passholder application center... but now it seems only pin trading and cookie baking classes take place here. Seems like a giant waste of space.

Andrew
07-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Spite.

cstephens
07-30-2007, 03:25 PM
As I recall, the blame for the closing of Plaza Pavilion lies entirely at the feet of one particular MousePlanet staff member...

AVP
07-30-2007, 03:26 PM
As I recall, the blame for the closing of Plaza Pavilion lies entirely at the feet of one particular MousePlanet staff member...Don't you remember, we're not allowed to discuss that anymore...

AVP

(And don't you mean wheels?)

Clotho
07-30-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm sure the inside joke behind this is just hilarious. But what is the real reason? Anyone know? It's an interesting question.

adriennek
07-30-2007, 07:31 PM
The issue they're referring to is that one of the issues with the Plaza Pavillion was that it wasn't HCA - there are stairs without ramps, no room for wheelchairs, etc. They did nothing to make it accessible and one staff member in particular spent a lot of time discussing the issue with Disney.

Adrienne

Leofoenget
07-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Does anyone know when the Plaza Pavilion served its last meal?

Does anyone know what the future holds for the Plaza Pavilion?

I remember that, for awhile, it served as a passholder application center... but now it seems only pin trading and cookie baking classes take place here. Seems like a giant waste of space.

Why dont' they FIX said problems and turn it into a coffee bar or something.

DizneyMommy
07-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Yes!! More coffee!! I hate the lines at the bakery - it takes ten years to get a cup of hot chocolate on any given night. You'd think they'd tap into that and add another lcoation or at least a cart.

evrythngwmn
08-02-2007, 09:08 AM
I don't know how long it's been there but there is a ramp on the east side of the building.

As for a coffee cart, there is one between the entrance to Frontierland and the Plaza Gardens.

Mrs Mouse
08-02-2007, 09:40 AM
I think they should take advantage of the open space and put in a Starbucks! ;)

Andrew
08-02-2007, 09:43 AM
I think they should take advantage of the open space and put in a Starbucks! ;)
Bite your tongue.

Mrs Mouse
08-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Bite your tongue.

:D As much as I LOVE Starbucks coffee, I was just having a little fun. I prefer the outside world stay away from DL, thank you very much.

DangerMouse
08-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Continuing the coffee train derail: I'm fine with keeping out Starbucks, but anything other than the Nescacrap they sell would be greatly appreciated!

Now back to our regularly scheduled inside jokes about the Plaza Pavillion and its demise. :rolleyes:

Andrew
08-02-2007, 10:57 AM
I think reopening the Plaza Pavilion as a coffee bar would be a terrific idea. Given the long-term Nestle sponsorship, I have a feeling the product would be Nescafe.

DangerMouse
08-02-2007, 11:03 AM
I think reopening the Plaza Pavilion as a coffee bar would be a terrific idea. Given the long-term Nestle sponsorship, I have a feeling the product would be Nescafe.

Ewww . . . then nevermind. Maybe they could relocate the Gallery there?

ladodgerjon
08-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Because I can't stomach the thought of Walt's offices and Mr. Lincoln disappearing from the Opera House, why not place the Disney Gallery inside the Plaza Pavilion?

It's not such a stretch when you consider that Disney collectables are already being purchased/exchanged outside its entrance...

The big windows fronting the hub would be a great "calling card" for all sorts of folks unfamiliar with Disney theme park art...

I dunno. Just a thought.

oregontraveler
08-03-2007, 04:47 AM
Because I can't stomach the thought of Walt's offices and Mr. Lincoln disappearing from the Opera House, why not place the Disney Gallery inside the Plaza Pavilion?

It's not such a stretch when you consider that Disney collectables are already being purchased/exchanged outside its entrance...

The big windows fronting the hub would be a great "calling card" for all sorts of folks unfamiliar with Disney theme park art...

I dunno. Just a thought.

A great idea !!!

stan4d_steph
08-03-2007, 09:21 AM
They have coffee places at WDW now. I think they use the Nespsresso machines (http://www.nespresso-pro.com/ooh/hotel_details_us_en.html), but at least it's better than plain old Nescafe.

ladodgerjon
08-13-2007, 12:20 PM

I dunno. Just a thought.

I just read in the DLR update that the above is now a "rumor."

I really do think the idea of losing Mr. Lincoln is tantamount to heresy-- and that the Pavilion would make a PERFECT spot for an art gallery...

TONS of outdoor space for signings, (continued) pin trading, temporary exhibits... even classes on how to paint/sketch, etc. LOTS of space for merchandise and/or mounting big exhibits.

An art gallery at the end of main street makes sense in terms of theming (it wouldn't be out of place)... and imagine how nice a gallery would look at the hub all lit up on a summer's night.

Klutch
08-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Plaza Pavillion is just a small example of the huge wasted spaces at Disney parks these days. For example, the former Lincoln Theater at Magic Kingdom is simply enormous and sits almost vacant. You can wander around all over the place back there with almost nobody around. You could go back there and take a nap!

There's probably a number of reasons why Plaza Pavillion and other areas sit vacant and unused. Personally, I'm convinced it's because unused park areas don't show up on spreadsheets. Therefore, the gumbys in charge aren't even aware of them. :geek:

darph nader
08-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Darn Skippy Klutch,makes you wonder if the 'bean-counters' ever get out of the office? At least make weekend and seasonal. What a waste.:crying:

disneyhound
08-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Darn Skippy Klutch,makes you wonder if the 'bean-counters' ever get out of the office? At least make weekend and seasonal. What a waste.:crying:

Yuck, yuck, 'bean-counters' and possible coffee spot at the Plaza Pavilion... ;)

Klutch
08-13-2007, 06:13 PM
At least bean counters actually see their product.

It seems more and more CEOs want to run their companies from a joystick on their desk and a Blackberry on the golf course. Many investors are getting fed up with such hands-off leadership. Perhaps these days are ending. Meanwhile, the Plaza Pavillion sits empty month, after month, after...

Bruce Bergman
08-16-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm sure the inside joke behind this is just hilarious. But what is the real reason? Anyone know? It's an interesting question.
Well, Tony and AVP can only kill me once... :p And I'm not privy to the deep details anyway, so I can give you the outside observer version:

The Plaza Pavillion was open for the busy weekends and the summer season with permanent narrow lines formed by wrought and brass zig-zag queue railings. No room inside to maneuver a wheelchair (and darned difficult with a cane or crutches) and no plans to change it. And there was no ramp to get onto the patio and no plans to put one in either. There were many Guest Complaints over equal access - people with limited mobility had to recruit a friend or family member to order and bring out their meal.

Then Disney put in the ramp - IMHO the Foods people weren't thinking ADA access at all. They did it for bringing bulk supplies in at night (delivery trucks on Main St. at 3 AM) without muscling them up the steps on a hand-truck, so they lined up the new ramp with the dishroom door.

But there were world-class unintended consequences from that simple act - they did nothing about the serving line. And the ADA crowd doesn't think about operations issues, they thought the ramp was meant solely for them. (Insert Ominous Sting music {Dun Dun Dunnnnn!} here.)

The restaurant opened for one weekend and no doubt there were undoubtedly more intense discussions about full ADA compliance - "But why won't you fix the queue? You put in the new access ramp for us..."

Disney found a convenient Deus Ex Machina to get out of that jam: "Oh, Gee! We just inspected the kitchen walls and found Mold and Rot and Termites, Oh My! :eek: We need to close the restaurant indefinitely for structural renovations."

They pulled most of the kitchen gear, opened the walls and cleaned up the rot... And then stopped before putting the kitchen equipment back in and back in usable shape - and it's been closed since.

And since the Plaza Pavillion kitchen also served Tahitian Terrace, they can't use that as a restaurant either. (They gave up on making Tiki Room a dinner theatre before it even opened, but that would have made a three-fer served from one kitchen.)

--<< Bruce >>--

AVP
08-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Then Disney put in the ramp - IMHO the Foods people weren't thinking ADA access at all. They did it for bringing bulk supplies in at night (delivery trucks on Main St. at 3 AM) without muscling them up the steps on a hand-truck, so they lined up the new ramp with the dishroom door.Having been privy to, if not the "deep details," at least the discussions that were held with Disney legal, I can tell you that ADA access was the reason the ramp was built. The the Foods people felt it was easier to use the new ramp in the front of the building, bonus for them.
And the ADA crowd doesn't think about operations issues, they thought the ramp was meant solely for them. A wheelchair ramp intended for use by guests in wheelchairs? You're kidding! How unreasonable of the "ADA crowd."

I've already been accused of grandstanding on this board for relating the Story of the Plaza Pavillion, and I'm not really interested in doing it again. Anyone who really cares can use the friendly search button.

AVP