PDA

View Full Version : GCH Needs another entrance - DCA Too

Pages : [1] 2

Pat-n-Eil
07-30-2007, 12:03 PM
I am a fan of the Grand Californian. The beds are comfy and theme and architecture are great. I like that it has an entrance to DCA and the restaurants and facilities there are nice.

On the other hand, I have a couple of pet peeves that could be fixed - so here's my little 2 point laundry list.

1. I'd like to see an entrance to the Grand Californian that is near the end of the World of Disney Store nearest the Plaza & Disneyland main entrance. My reasoning is that if you have a room on that end of the Hotel (near DCA) and if you stay at Disneyland until late or even just want to go back to your room during the day, you have to travel to what seems like 1/2 way back into Downtown Disney, go all the way to the Lobby, then turn and come all the way back. Anyone staying in the wings of the Hotel that faces Grizzly River Run or over the World of Disney Store have to to a lot of walking just to get back to the rooms.

An entrance at the end of the World of Disney store would save 10 to 15 minutes of walking. I don't mind if it is a hotel-guest only entrance where you'd have to use your hotel key to get through (like at the swimming pool) but I know many folks would appreciate this. Even during the day, the ability to not have to re-enter DCA at the main entrance would be a nice time saver and convenience.

2. I'd like to see an entrance for folks on the Paradise Pier side of DCA.. one that is even better than the walkway entrance they closed. An entrance directly into DCA from across the street of the entrace to Paradise Pier Hotel would help a lot of folks staying there as well as some of the motels nearby. Maybe duiring they redo of DCA they can factor this in. Right now, Paradise Pier folks have to cross the street, make their way through the car entrance to GCH, go through the lobby area and down past Storyteller's to get into the park. (In addition a shuttle from Paradise Pier to the Main Plaza would also be welcome - this has been discussed recently on this board).

I think both of these suggestions are "doable" without a lot of expense. We might need a CM or two to monitor these areas, but other than the gate machines and/or card-key readers, I think this would be useful.

Darkbeer
07-30-2007, 12:32 PM
But Disney wants guests to walk thru Downtown Disney and shop, that is why the GCH entrance is where it is, and since the GCH guests tends to have higher incomes than average, they are the prime folks that the shop owners want. Sorry, but you won't see a new entrance.

Andrew
07-30-2007, 12:37 PM
2. I'd like to see an entrance for folks on the Paradise Pier side of DCA.. one that is even better than the walkway entrance they closed. An entrance directly into DCA from across the street of the entrace to Paradise Pier Hotel would help a lot of folks staying there as well as some of the motels nearby. Maybe duiring they redo of DCA they can factor this in. Right now, Paradise Pier folks have to cross the street, make their way through the car entrance to GCH, go through the lobby area and down past Storyteller's to get into the park.
There were rumors during DCA's construction and the Paradise Pier Hotel's renovation/refurbishment/theme change that an elevated hotel-guests-only walkway might be constructed from the hotel to Paradise Pier. Sadly, it turned out to be Just Another Internet Rumor.

mistofviolets
07-30-2007, 12:39 PM
I like my dd's idea. She thinks hotel guests should get a ride from the top floor to somewhere in Disneyland or DCA; like the Skyride (sorry; all amusement parks used to have them under different names and Disney's escapes me at the moment) It would need an extra CM at the top...but; you couldn't get off without a ticket.

Pat-n-Eil
07-30-2007, 01:12 PM
But Disney wants guests to walk thru Downtown Disney and shop, that is why the GCH entrance is where it is, and since the GCH guests tends to have higher incomes than average, they are the prime folks that the shop owners want. Sorry, but you won't see a new entrance.

Darkbeer, I concur with your logic, but then again there are other ways to look at it as well. Downtown Disney does close. Maybe this entrance could open at 10:00 or midnight when DTD is closing up. Personally, I like using the DTD monorail station sometimes, I like going to the DLH sometimes and we enjoy ESPN Zone and Rainforest Cafe, so this entrance - even if it were open 24/7 wouldn't prevent me from going to Downtown Disney.

I've never been to WDW, but I know there are many transportation options to get from lodging to the parks without making folks go through Downtown Disney.

Marketing is king, I know - but I think this would improve the guest experience. I'm not sure about anyone else, but at the end of the day or anytime I'm dragging and need to go back to my room, I'm not stopping anywhere in Downtown Disney anyway. I just want to get to my room. I assume the occupancy rate for GCH is probably pretty high, but this kind of convenience would certainly put another check mark in the positive column for me to stay at GCH when I'm considering other options.

With the prices charged for staying at Disney properties and the inundation of stores and purchasing in the parks, maybe Disney could consider this as a step purely toward guest relations and improving my experience and not just how to get me to open my wallet again.

pisces
07-30-2007, 01:54 PM
My reasoning is that if you have a room on that end of the Hotel (near DCA) and if you stay at Disneyland until late or even just want to go back to your room during the day, you have to travel to what seems like 1/2 way back into Downtown Disney, go all the way to the Lobby, then turn and come all the way back. Anyone staying in the wings of the Hotel that faces Grizzly River Run or over the World of Disney Store have to to a lot of walking just to get back to the rooms.

During the day, the Napa Rose elevators should be available. It's not much but it cuts down a little bit of the walk.

At late night, I like walking back through DTD, seeing the lit storefronts, and hearing the music one last time. I also like to stop off at the fireplace one last time before making my way to my room for the evening.

For me, it's a nice walk and part of the magic is leisurely strolling back through the grounds. Even if it is a little out of the way...it makes a nice transition, and you have to admit....there are things to see/atmosphere along the walk.

It's nice to have that transition out of the park, and meander through the serene grounds back to your room.

I don't want to see them open up any more entrances because then the open access will cut into the "a world apart" feeling. I like that fact that the grounds are a little bit isolated, and yet still close enough to the action if you want it.

dawnid
07-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Where's the petition - I want to sign it. When I want a mid-afternoon rest in my room having to double back to get to said room really irks me.

As to dangling DTD in front of tourist hoping they'll buy, I think people who want to shop will walk DTD anyway. Believe me when I say my DH considers me a professional shopper, I can spend more faster than most when the opportunity presents itself and nothing kills my shopping desire more than unnecessary back and forth wasted time. Especially if I wanted to go shopping down Main Street while he's taking a nap or just pop into WoD.

barely
07-30-2007, 04:42 PM
That's why my money will go to Best Western Park Place Inn on our next trip in September. Closer to DL than the GCH!

adriennek
07-30-2007, 04:54 PM
That's why my money will go to Best Western Park Place Inn on our next trip in September. Closer to DL than the GCH!

I was talking to a guy from Texas at the DLH pool on Thursday. He was telling me that he liked staying at DLH because it was "so close" to DL. I pointed out to him that the motels on Harbor were actually closer...

I'm sorry, this thread makes me laugh. The GCH isn't convenient enough? Don't go to WDW if it's too much to "hike" all the way to a room at the GCH. Forget whether you'd 'have' to travel through Downtown Disney to get to your hotel. The hotels and parks are miles apart, not feet or yards.

And the GCH entrance isn't even that far into DtD.

Adrienne

pisces
07-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Sometimes traffic in DTD is a nightmare though. There are plenty of times, midday when I haven't wanted to walk through there to get back to GCH.

All you have to do is cut through DCA and make your way to the Napa Rose elevators, like I was saying.

And, there have been times, when the Grand Californian baggage check is a lot quicker than the Main baggage check...so, in those cases, it does make sense to cut through DCA and avoid DTD .

pisces
07-30-2007, 05:16 PM
WDW The hotels and parks are miles apart, not feet or yards.

Not having been to WDW, from what I've heard, they have more options in terms of transportation. From what I understand, most of their on-property hotels are on the monorail stops, and then you have the ferry. So, it seems like everything, there, is a bit more connected, again...not having been.

But I basically agree. The walk to and from hotels at DLR, and vicinity, is not that bad, and I've seen lots of people who'd actually rather walk to and from the Resort, than take shuttles, because walking is so much faster.

pisces
07-30-2007, 05:22 PM
When I want a mid-afternoon rest in my room having to double back to get to said room really irks me.

You don't have to. Just cut through DCA, to the GCH Entrance/Exit, then make a right and go to the Napa Rose elevators, which should take you to your floor, assuming your room is located over that way. No doubling back if you do it that way!

2002 TC eL
07-30-2007, 05:24 PM

BW PPI not as elegant as GCH but is actually closer. We'll be at the BW PPI 5 days starting this coming Saturday.

Does the GCH ever have any vacancies?

pisces
07-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Sorry, but you won't see a new entrance.

I don't think there's gonna be a new entrance because DCA doesn't have the attendance/numbers to support it. If DCA could increase its attendance, that might justify the trouble of building a new entrance. As it is, they would have to, build, staff, light, maintain, and install a new baggage check for a brand new entrance at a Park which hasn't shown the kind of profits they wanted.

Maybe after the new Midway attraction, and some of their numbers increase, they would think about it?

They had the Paradise Pier entrance, and couldn't get enough people into DCA with that. So now they are gonna first get the people into the park, and then build a new entrance, perhaps.

dawnid
07-30-2007, 09:13 PM
I was talking to a guy from Texas at the DLH pool on Thursday. He was telling me that he liked staying at DLH because it was "so close" to DL. I pointed out to him that the motels on Harbor were actually closer...

I'm sorry, this thread makes me laugh. The GCH isn't convenient enough? Don't go to WDW if it's too much to "hike" all the way to a room at the GCH. Forget whether you'd 'have' to travel through Downtown Disney to get to your hotel. The hotels and parks are miles apart, not feet or yards.

And the GCH entrance isn't even that far into DtD.

Adrienne

LOL - Its all relative isn't it. We went to WDW in 2002 and the ONLY complaint we had about the total trip was the transportation system. So you are 100% right the little bit of a walk is nothing like trying to get to DTD from the Grand Floridian. It seemed like we were always WAITING for a shuttle. The ferry and the monorail were great but those shuttles were something else. I think its a typical California thing "we" want in now so, get there fast, hurry hurry, when we should just enjoy the ride.

The great thing about Disneyland is that everything is within walking distance.

adriennek
07-30-2007, 09:18 PM
LOL - Its all relative isn't it. We went to WDW in 2002 and the ONLY complaint we had about the total trip was the transportation system. So you are 100% right the little bit of a walk is nothing like trying to get to DTD from the Grand Floridian. It seemed like we were always WAITING for a shuttle. The ferry and the monorail were great but those shuttles were something else. I think its a typical California thing "we" want in now so, get there fast, hurry hurry, when we should just enjoy the ride.

The great thing about Disneyland is that everything is within walking distance.

Exactly.

I just think of all the trip reports I've read where people talk about how long their walks were from their rooms to the bus stops - or how they requested specific building so they wouldn't have to walk as far to the bus stops, etc.

And then here, the complaint is that you have to walk so far through GCH to the GATE, LOL.

Adrienne

codewoman
07-31-2007, 10:44 AM
Adrienne, you were there last week? So was I! Rats, I would have liked to have met you (and have our Scouts meet each other).

adriennek
07-31-2007, 12:51 PM
Adrienne, you were there last week? So was I! Rats, I would have liked to have met you (and have our Scouts meet each other).

We were there on Thursday.

Next time, PM me ;)

Adrienne

Pat-n-Eil
07-31-2007, 01:58 PM
I admit that the term "long walk" is relative. That being said, what is a long and arduous walk at the end of the day for me may be a hop skip and a jump for you.

I know that when I go to Disneyland, I walk much more than at any other time. Even if you exercise on a treadmill every day, it doesn't compare to the all day walk-a-thon that is Disneyland. I can tell you that my feet get sore, my calves and shins can hurt from the extra walking and I don't want to do any more of it - especially when I'm headed back to my room - than I possibly can.

Older folks, people with very small children and those who are not fitness types would enjoy a shorter walk and a closer entrance to the plaza while staying at the GCH. I know I'm not the only one to mention this.. it just seems to me a very inefficient layout. Sure, going to the DLH is longer, (but without a pedometer to prove it I'm only guessing) but a trip to the Downtown Disney monorail station actually make sense if DLH or PP is your destination. Either of those hotels puts you in a building and close to your room much faster than GCH does. I don't know that there is much advantage to using the monorail station if you are staying at the GCH unless you happen to be in tomorrowland when you want to leave.

Believe me, it is not just a non-issue.

pisces
07-31-2007, 07:39 PM
I just did a sort-of poll on one of the other sites, asking if anyone has ever seen the existing GCH/DCA Entrance backed up, or even any kind of a line, or crowd at that Entrance.

Nobody has ever seen any crowds, at that particular Entrance, or be the least bit busy.

If there aren't that many people using the existing second entrance into DCA, as it is.... I don't see very much of an incentive for building a third.

stan4d_steph
07-31-2007, 08:06 PM
For security reasons, if I were a guest at the GCH, I would prefer that everyone entering the hotel had to come through the main entrances. It's much easier for hotel security to monitor who comes in and out when there are fewer places they need to be watching.

cstephens
07-31-2007, 10:39 PM
Nobody has ever seen any crowds, at that particular Entrance, or be the least bit busy.

Ummm, yeah, only about 5 people actually answered your question, and one of them did say they'd seen a line there before.

Hardly scientific proof, regardless.

Quinten27
08-01-2007, 10:19 AM
What if they just added a second monorail stop at the GCH? It would be another alternative for getting into the park and back to the hotel with-out the long walk. Since the monorail already runs pretty much right through the hotel, it wouldn't be hard to add a stop there, even if it required the removal of a few guest rooms.

They could even set it up so that at opening and closing they have two monorails running, one running from Tomorrowland to DTD on one side of the track and one running from Tomorrowland to GCH on the other section of track.

BIRDGIRLS
08-01-2007, 10:23 AM
What if they just added a second monorail stop at the GCH?

Good idea.. but the only place where it really runs through the park is over by Soarin' Over California, the entrance to the park (which would be kind of weird to have a Monorail station right as you enter the park), and over by the Millionaire building. Having a stop by Soarin' would be a little difficult since there's already a huge crowd there for Soarin'. And by the Millionaire building would be possible.

Bytebear
08-01-2007, 10:25 AM
I would much rather see the Monorail extended to the Mickey and Friends parking structure.