PDA

View Full Version : Fourth of July at the resort

cstephens
07-05-2002, 12:03 AM
We spent the day at the resort and had a good time as usual. There didn't seem to be as many people there as in years past. We got there earlier than normal, around 11am. On Fourth of July, Disney always gives out a little generic flag pin to each person. That's always been very cool. This year, the flag pin looks like the ones they usually give out, but it's better quality, and it's actually a Disney pin. It's backstamped "July 4, 2002 Disneyland Resort". Very cool on Disney's part, I thought.

We had lunch at French Market. It's apparently been a while since we've eaten there because the drinks are now self-service. Instead of having to request drinks from the CM on the other side of the counter, they have dispensers in line. I like that change.

We walked around DCA for a while as well and were amazed to discover that Farmer's Market was actually open. The CM there that I spoke to said they expect to be open for the duration of the summer, so we're really happy because we like that place and it's not been open much lately. We're already planning on having lunch there on Sunday. Oh, and the shake place was open too.

We spent the afternoon as usual hiding at the resort in an out-of-the-way place and snacking on things that we'd brought and chatting with friends.

We made our way back to DL around 7pm and had dinner at Pizza Port. We then hung out at Fantasia Gardens for a while to wait out the end of the 8pm parade and then made our way over to Small World to stake out our spot for fireworks.

"Believe" was good as usual - Mickey worked, but not from our particular angle. For the Fourth of July patriotic salute, we were a bit disappointed that they didn't run the same version as in the prior two years (using the music of "Golden Dreams" from WDW), but instead, they ran a version similar to the patriotic salute they implemented shortly after September 11 last year, using a rendition of "God Bless America". It was still a good show. Disney is awesome at doing fireworks.

Another good Fourth of July at the resort. We've learned how and when to avoid the crowds, so that always helps. It was fun hanging out with the friends we knew would be there, and it was fun running into the couple friends we didn't know were coming.

Andrew
07-05-2002, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the report. Helps those (like me) who are a bit too far away to easily make it to the parks remember what it's like there. :)

I'm reasonably sure I recall DL staying open until two or three in the morning on July 4ths past, but this year they closed at midnight, right? Was there anything said about that anywhere or was it just business as usual?

You didn't mention anything about Dumbo and bubbles...

Uncle Dick
07-05-2002, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Andrew
I'm reasonably sure I recall DL staying open until two or three in the morning on July 4ths past, but this year they closed at midnight, right? Was there anything said about that anywhere or was it just business as usual?
I believe the midnight closing of Disneyland was part of the overall scaling back of operating hours this summer at the Disneyland Resort.

Although I didn't make it into the parks, the crowds did seem to be pretty light for what is supposedly the busiest day of the year. Only during the fireworks presentation did crowds flood the West Esplanade and cause a major traffic jam leaving the park. Other than that, the day went smoothly. The increase in security was apparent, but didn't go far beyond the increase in security that accompanied Spring Break.

PhilMP
07-05-2002, 12:48 AM
The crowds did turn extremely heavy inside the park as night fell...probably as park hoppers and APs made their way from DCA to DL after the Electrical Parade to catch the fireworks and Fantasmic.

Once I got off work though, traffic was just horrible. They had Guests leaving from anywhere they could, and that included the Cast parking lot behind the Mickey & Friends structure. Coupled with the Angel game finishing @ Edison Field, it made for at traffic nightmare.

Oh well...all I have to say is it was a really good day because it was a good fireworks show, it was actually a busy summer day...and I got to see Shaquille O'Neal!!!! :)

Phil

dsnyredhead
07-05-2002, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the report. Helps those (like me) who are a bit too far away to easily make it to the parks remember what it's like there. :)

It did seem unusually uncrowded this year. Kinda like a typical saturday night but not like a typical July 4th. Yes, the park closed earlier than usual, so we never got around to doing Dumbo. Oh well, maybe next year :)

Rallymonkey23
07-05-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by PhilMP

Once I got off work though, traffic was just horrible. They had Guests leaving from anywhere they could, and that included the Cast parking lot behind the Mickey & Friends structure. Coupled with the Angel game finishing @ Edison Field, it made for at traffic nightmare.Phil

Yeah, tell me about it. We were traveling east to west on Katella comming back from a day at Laugna Beach and sat at the Harbor/Katella light for 4 friggin red lights!! Traffic was backed up on Harbor going north so people just kept crossing in their cars and blocked the friggin road for us!! I could not believe they didn't have a cop controlling traffic there!! They knew they had the ballgame, Disneyland and a convention letting out around the same time!! That reminds me, I'm calling the city about this.... It was uncalled for!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

SoCalDisneyLover
07-05-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by PhilMP

Oh well...all I have to say is it was a really good day because it was a good fireworks show, it was actually a busy summer day...and I got to see Shaquille O'Neal!!!! :)

Phil

My friend and I went to my cousin's house for a barbecue, so didn't arrive at DL until about 8:30. Got a FP for Space Mtn, then picked a spot next to Carousel wall for the Fireworks. Since we had never been on the 4th before(1st Yr. Ap's), to me...the crowds seemed huge. But it sounds like they were lighter than usual for this day. The Fireworks show was great, but I wished it had been a little longer. Only 1 Patriotic song, but the finale was impressive, and from Fantasyland, the booms were loud!

Where did you see Shaq? Was it during the day or at night? That must have been pretty cool. Were people approaching him, or did he have security/bodyguards surrounding him? Last year I was at Magic Mountain, and Magic Johnson was there with a Kids Organization he's involved with. Got to see him shoot baskets at the arcade and win bags and bags of stuffed animals. He really did not have any sort of intimidating entourage, but I did not see anyone going up to him. Just kind of stood back and watched.

We left at about 11:30 PM, so did not hit any of the traffic problems mentioned. Took us seconds to exit the Mickey & Friends garage, but it sounds like we were lucky not to leave with the majority at midnight.

JeffG
07-05-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by cstephens
We had lunch at French Market. It's apparently been a while since we've eaten there because the drinks are now self-service. Instead of having to request drinks from the CM on the other side of the counter, they have dispensers in line. I like that change.

I was less than thrilled with this change. Since the drink dispensers include Mint Juleps, this means that you no longer receive the sprigs of mint or the cherries that usually come with them.

I also felt that the self-service dispensers actually reduce efficiency and slow down the line. With CMs preparing drinks, the orders could be taken and prepared ahead of the guests as they were waiting for entrees or mulling over the desserts. With the new arrangement, the dispensers become much more of a bottleneck. Since the dispensers are still in the line, it doesn't clarify or simplify the availability of refills as well.

Had they placed the self-service dispensers outside of the line (the cashiers could hand the guests cups, like at a typical fast food location outside the park), I would agree that they were an improvement. With this current configuration, I see it as a reduction in service.

-Jeff

Uncle Dick
07-05-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by SoCalDisneyLover
We left at about 11:30 PM, so did not hit any of the traffic problems mentioned. Took us seconds to exit the Mickey & Friends garage, but it sounds like we were lucky not to leave with the majority at midnight.
Actually, the majority of the traffic problems occured earlier, as people were trying to leave right after the fireworks. After 11, things calmed down considerably.

PhilMP
07-05-2002, 12:45 PM
I was off @ 10:30, so I left when the majority of the Guests were trying to leave...should've stayed for overtime :(

Shaq & Co. was all over the park, accompanied by a couple Guest Relation CMs, a couple security CMs, and a manager of some sort. I saw him twice, once over in Fantasyland, coming backstage through the gate near the Fantasy Faire Toy Shop (next to Small World), and I saw him exiting Tomorrowland next to the Space Mountain exit.

And yes, there was a crowd approaching and taking pictures and asking for autographs, but all the CMs around him did manage to keep them from mobbing around him and preventing him from moving anywhere. The only real trouble was when an Ice Cream cart had to push through the gate and we actually had to open it, a large crowd surged ahead and actually tried to go backstage (he was visible about 100 feet away), and it took me, a Custodial CM, and a security CM to close the door without running anybody over.

hbquikcomjamesl
07-05-2002, 01:19 PM
I was there, too. I started the day by booking myself onto the Walt's Footsteps tour, then getting breakfast at the River Belle, then Indy, then the tour (the longest Walt's Footsteps tour I've ever taken), then I stopped at the Coke Corner just long enough to say hello to Johnny on my way to lunch at SOB in DCA, then I got a Fastpass for Soarin, then saw Golden Dreams and went on the Boudin tour while waiting for the fastpass to mature, then I saw Blast and Millionaire (cracked the top 10 at one point), then park-hopped back to DL for Lincoln and Innoventions (the AT&T exhibit wasn't running their presentation room, so I went into the next section and tried the rollercoaster software). I had to pass through an uncharacteristically heavy crowd to get back out to park-hop for the Electrical Parade; after The Parade, I park-hopped back to catch the fireworks from my usual perch at the Main St. Station. After the fireworks, I caught the first train to Frontierland, to make a 10:00 dinner reservation at the Blue Bayou, finishing just as the "Jungle Book" scene of the late Fantasmic began. After Fantasmic, I did the Haunted Mansion (when did the pop-up ghosts in the attic start saying, "I do"? Also, why would the CM at the loading station let what looked like several dozen Doom Buggies pass through empty?), then sat for a while at the Coke Corner for Rod's late set, leaving in time to make it out the gate shortly after midnight. The only trouble I had getting home, BTW, was keeping my eyes open.

Gandalf
07-05-2002, 03:34 PM
The crowd was moderate for a holiday but I'm not complaining! We had lunch at Blue Bayou and then rode Splash Mtn. This was our first time on the new logs. I sat in the back and rode with my knees up around my ears. Hungry Bear area was open and the line for picture taking with Pooh and friends was long. Sat and saw the Big Band and then moved to Main Street for the fireworks. Man, the crowd was jammed at Main Street after the fireworks ended. I felt bad for crowd control - there were too many people stopping and clumping to just talk. Saw Kobe Bryant entering DCA about 10 last night. He went through the Guest Relations outside door. It looked like his wife was with him also. We decided not to do the 1/2 hour wait for trams and just walked Downtown Disney to the parking structure. I have a question for any cast members who might know: Would Disney run all the rides with just a few celebrities to ride them? I was just wondering if that was what Kobe and his group were going to do. Or would he have to foot the bill for keeping staff there?

smd4
07-05-2002, 04:44 PM
Grandalf said,

This was our first time on the new logs. I sat in the back and rode with my knees up around my ears.

Funny...I rode the back seat too, and was able to stretch out my legs quite comfortably on either side of the seat. The backrests don't fit the full width of the log, so if you're knees were up, that was your own fault.

cstephens
07-05-2002, 08:48 PM

If I remember, they only kept the park open that late when Fourth of July fell on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night, since the following day would not have been a work day. I think when it fell on any other weekday, it was only open until midnight.

No, we actually haven't done that in a while. The rule had been that the park had to be open past midnight (though I think we cheated once and did it at midnight one time), so Fourth of July and New Year's Eve were the only times that was possible. We've been avoiding the park on New Year's Eve for a couple years now, and Fourth of July hasn't been on a weekend in a while, so since it's on a Friday next year, maybe that'll work.

The bubbles were a great addition to the tradition.

Rallymonkey23
07-05-2002, 09:39 PM
O.K. I havent heard the story about Dumbo and bubbles before....

cstevens- Can you tell me more about it? Or can someone direct me to a topic/post about it?? Thanks!

awinner
07-06-2002, 01:04 AM
we got to the park around 9am...dropped the dogs off at the kennel...there was no one boarding the trams and the kennel was empty...went to dl 1st, went on Space, Matterhorn, RRcartoon spin, BTMR, splash all before 11:30, had lunch at blue bayou..it was empty inside...CM's said they had vever seen it so empty inside for the 4th, shared calamari & monte cristo. went to dca, did soarin, screaming, maliboomer, muppets, bugs life...that had park of the park closed for a while due to a huge swarm off bees in the air...you could tell that some of the CM's that were blocking the area were nervous standing there with bees flying all around them...had an ice cream sundae at burrr-bank (now I know why N.A. goes there so often) watch the eureka parade. The lines were never over 20 minutes there. went back over to DL...and went to see barrage, almost got into an argument w/ some AP'er (ya know the kind that think they own the park). went back to toon town, back on cartoon spin, did mickeys house (i liked that alot...never did that before). now the park was getting packed hub...forget about it, dinner at plaza inn...saw kobe sitting on the roof of the plaza inn. saw the fire works...pretty good...when it was over the park was so packed...crowd control was so bad, they closed the entrances to adventureland and frontier land and made everyone only go one direction...people started to push, one lady grabbed a CM lead and practically shook him saying this was the worst thing they could be doing and how she could've died it there was a stampede of people. anyways, saw fantasmic...did pirates, haunted...ran over to splash, but it broke down, so they closed it for the rest of the night. went and rode BTMR...11:45 ran over to space...then walked through the emporium, got dogs, got home around 2 am...so it was an action packed day,.....can't wait to go again for the next 4th!!!

cstephens
07-06-2002, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
O.K. I havent heard the story about Dumbo and bubbles before....

cstevens- Can you tell me more about it? Or can someone direct me to a topic/post about it?? Thanks!

Go to Google groups and do a search of the newsgroup alt.disney.disneyland for messages with "Dumbo meet" in the subject. That should give you a few things to read.

HBTiggerFan
07-06-2002, 09:47 AM
Erica and I decided to bring the twins and Tim (sigh) to the roof of the structure to watch the fireworks. We both live in HB, take the 22 to harbor, then turn to GG Blvd. then take West St. all the way down. Normal trip takes us 20-30 min.

Erica left before us. No traffic on the road or on the 22. West St. was a little slow becuase of all the personal fireworks people were setting off (it looked sooo cool, wish we could still do that).

When we hit DL Dr./Katella Erica called to ask where we were...We were at a red. She was in line to get into the structure. Every booth was open. She said the traffic was people trying to get into the hotel & We were in the left lane. We sat through 4 red lights before we made it through. Once I saw people wanting to turn left but the left turn lane was full I moved into the right lane (no cars at all) and booked it. I saw the sign for the DTD parking & the back enterance to the structure was open so I turned Left. No cars at that little booth, zipped right in. Once inside it was a mad house. I was warned that cars were honking and being obnixious. It took us 5 minutes (at least) to park once I got inside the structure...mainly because some person infront of us couldn't drive :eek: Once we got parked we booked it up the staris with about 50 other people to the roof.

Got up there and the fireworks already started...called erica to find where she was. Tim saw her talking on the phone next to me. The twins saw me, but we didn't see each other. So we met up, watched the fireworks from the roof. There was lots of security and the DL fire dept. truck was parked up there with fire dept. people. Fireworks were cool, set off lots of car alarms. Miss the music but the view is great.

Walked back to the cars, found ericas, couldn't find mine...we figured we were on a different level. I heard erica yelling my name. We parked 4 spots away! :eek: how weird is that?!?! Espcially since we were at red lights while she was trying to get in the structure.

Traffic getting out was a nightmare. They had us go out the Enterance nad through the cast parking lot (I think?). We could only turn Left onto Ball. There was lots of traffic control. But once on Ball there were no signs, no one directing traffic. Luckyly we knew were we were going, but someone else who was on vacation may have not.

All in all, it was good.
Thansk for reading :D

Disney Nick
07-07-2002, 07:01 PM
We made our way back to DL around 7pm and had dinner at Pizza Port. We then hung out at Fantasia Gardens for a while to wait out the end of the 8pm parade and then made our way over to Small World to stake out our spot for fireworks.

"Believe" was good as usual - Mickey worked, but not from our particular angle. For the Fourth of July patriotic salute, we were a bit disappointed that they didn't run the same version as in the prior two years (using the music of "Golden Dreams" from WDW), but instead, they ran a version similar to the patriotic salute they implemented shortly after September 11 last year, using a rendition of "God Bless America". It was still a good show. Disney is awesome at doing fireworks.
I was there that day too and it didn't seem too crowded. I too was at IASW for the fireworks. How big was your group... I saw a groupd of about 5-10 people that seemed like "Disney Geeks". I thought they might be from MP but was too scared to talk to them :(. They cheered when the "hidden mickey" in the fireworks came and I had to explain that to the people I was with. Just wondering if it was you... Interesting..

cstephens
07-07-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by NMoreles
I was there that day too and it didn't seem too crowded. I too was at IASW for the fireworks. How big was your group... I saw a groupd of about 5-10 people that seemed like "Disney Geeks".

At the time we were watching the fireworks, there were 9 of us. I had a beach towel laid down on the ground. We were in front of Small World by where the walls are up in front of the topiary. As a friend refers to it, it's the letterboxed version of "Believe".

And it wasn't an MP group, though a couple of us happen to participate on the MP boards.

Disney Nick
07-08-2002, 09:06 AM

At the time we were watching the fireworks, there were 9 of us. I had a beach towel laid down on the ground. We were in front of Small World by where the walls are up in front of the topiary. As a friend refers to it, it's the letterboxed version of "Believe".

And it wasn't an MP group, though a couple of us happen to participate on the MP boards.
Yep that was you guys. Dang, should've said hi... oh well :D

bandboy1985
07-08-2002, 10:59 PM
i was also at the resort for the fourth of july, and although i was hemmed in with about (seemingly) ten thousand other souls on the rivers of america viewing zones for the fourth fireworks, i was able to view them from the small world mall saturday night. wow! it was a fantastic vantage point- like the show was designed to be viewed from there (i promise i know it wasn't), but with tink to one's left, and the main display to the right, you are right in the middle of all the action! wow!