PDA

View Full Version : Cast Member salaries

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Rkkm
07-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Was talking yesterday with a CM who was assisting with the Indiana Jones fast pass distribution. He said that he was a six-year DL employee, earning $23 an hour! I was flabbergasted as that is pretty much what substitute teachers make in my school district! He said that it was due to the ride operators union.

So, I got to wondering how much CMs make. I know it must be based on specific jobs and, therefore, can range all over the pay scale. Can anyone enlighten me? (Thanks in advance.)

2002 TC eL
07-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Was talking yesterday with a CM who was assisting with the Indiana Jones fast pass distribution. He said that he was a six-year DL employee, earning $23 an hour! I was flabbergasted as that is pretty much what substitute teachers make in my school district! He said that it was due to the ride operators union.

So, I got to wondering how much CMs make. I know it must be based on specific jobs and, therefore, can range all over the pay scale. Can anyone enlighten me? (Thanks in advance.)

How can anyone afford to live in Southern California earning only $ 23 an hour? Substitute teachers in your school district earn as much in 2 hours as for substitue teaching ALL day in our "Right to Starve" state. :crying:

PanFan
07-29-2007, 08:00 AM
I hired in around Christmas '06 at $8.20/hr. as a ride operator. Since they raised minimum wage, I was given a $0.33 hourly increase, so I now make $8.53/hr. I've heard you get a small increase each year, but nothing dramatic. You also get more as your responsibilities increase. I haven't found out yet exactly what my increase will be when I work as a trainer, but I don't think it's more than $1.00/hr more than what I already get (and that's only when I'm working as a trainer). I think leads make $1.25/hr. more than their regular wage.

You can look up starting salary info here (http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/disneyland/hourly/hourly2.html), but it doesn't look like they've updated it since minimum wage increased.

Rkkm
07-29-2007, 08:07 AM
Thanks, PanFan! That chart was very interesting. Looks like the jobs away from the crowds make the most.

WifeyMommy
07-29-2007, 10:02 AM
CMs make the magic happen! PanFan you deserve a raise! We run a restaurant francishe and my employees start at 8.55. Our average customer check is 4.52. Let's total up Disney's average customer check and we will see that Pan deserves a raise. It is hard to put a price on a families pure happiness :D

avalosn
07-29-2007, 10:12 AM
I agree! I also think the CM's should make more $$$$$. There are so many CM's who are great people, they really make the place special. It's not easy to make it on $8.25 an hour AND have to pay for gas into Orange County (if the CM commutes). I really think they deserve more than what they are getting. My aunt is a CM and when I found out how much she started at, I was flabbergasted. Now she is a lead, so she makes a little more, but still, the CM's make a lot of the magic happen at Disney......their paycheck should reflect that a little more....

soccerlady16
07-29-2007, 11:48 AM
How can anyone afford to live in Southern California earning only $ 23 an hour? Substitute teachers in your school district earn as much in 2 hours as for substitue teaching ALL day in our "Right to Starve" state. :crying:

It is very possible to live in So Cal on that salary. Maybe not a family of 4 but a couple surely can. So Cal is not THAT $$$.
But anyways no way that CM makes that much, they be getting paid more though.

dcalover
07-29-2007, 07:12 PM

its very simple. Every year you get a pay raise, so after 6 years you make, $11.50. I believe if you work there 7 days a week, you get double-time on Sunday. This is besides getting double-time on holidays. Also he might have been working past his 8 hour shift, where you get 1.5 or 2 times the salary.

Either case, Disney workers are lowly paid, and for good reason

adriennek
07-29-2007, 08:13 PM
I believe if you work there 7 days a week, you get double-time on Sunday.

There's no double time for Sundays. There's a law in the state that employees can't work so many days without a day off, and in that case, they'd get more money. I think you have to have a day off every 6 days. That might explain the 7 day thing. But most companies are very careful to not go there.

Either case, Disney workers are lowly paid, and for good reason

What is the good reason to not pay them?

Adrienne

A Touch of Destiny
07-29-2007, 08:37 PM

It would be difficult to live nearly anywhere in CA on that salary. Southern CA, Bay Area, and anywhere coastal...darn near impossible.

smd4
07-30-2007, 05:00 AM
It would be difficult to live nearly anywhere in CA on that salary. Southern CA, Bay Area, and anywhere coastal...darn near impossible.My handy-dandy calculator says that's about $46,000 a year. I imagine a single person could live OK in SoCal on that salary.

yohomama212
07-30-2007, 06:27 AM
Yeah, I think $23/hr is decent enough for a single person in SoCal. It's not the high life, but it would get you by.

The current CA law allows for up to 10 days of work for up to 8 hours per day before requiring a day off!

Elizabeth

dcalover
07-30-2007, 07:13 AM
I believe the maximum shift is 12 hours, with an unpaid one hour lunch. I know people who worked 73-74 hours during xmas weeks.

A good reason to not pay them is that I want Disney to invest more into rides, not people who are doing for the love of them game, not money.

There's no double time for Sundays. There's a law in the state that employees can't work so many days without a day off, and in that case, they'd get more money. I think you have to have a day off every 6 days. That might explain the 7 day thing. But most companies are very careful to not go there.

What is the good reason to not pay them?

Adrienne

Malcon10t
07-30-2007, 07:34 AM
I believe the maximum shift is 12 hours, with an unpaid one hour lunch. I know people who worked 73-74 hours during xmas weeks.Labor laws require time and a half after 8 hours, double time after 12 and after 8 hours for days worked after 6 straight days. For example, if the person works 9 straight days, hours worked after 8 on days 7-9 are at double time.

Malcon10t
07-30-2007, 07:36 AM
A good reason to not pay them is that I want Disney to invest more into rides, not people who are doing for the love of them game, not money.Go to Magic Mountain then. The CMs deserve better pay. More is expected of them. And the last half of your sentence made no sense.

SeansMom
07-30-2007, 07:48 AM
A good reason to not pay them is that I want Disney to invest more into rides, not people who are doing for the love of them game, not money.

You do know that the money made by Disney by paying a lower wage will NOT go back into the parks (at least not in a big way like major new rides, themeing, etc.), but rather counted as PROFIT and passed on to shareholders and CEO's with fat salaries and bonuses.

LOS ANGELES -- Walt Disney Co. said Thursday its profit doubled, thanks to growth from its theme parks and movies and TV shows such as "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "High School Musical", but its shares fell 2 percent after touching a five-year high.http://www.newsmax.com/money/archives/articles/2006/11/10/084731.cfm

adriennek
07-30-2007, 07:56 AM

Where are all these people who are doing this for the love of the game? If DLR had as many employees as they need (which they don't) and all these CMs were doing their jobs with smiles on their faces (which only some but not all of them are,) then they could play that game.

They can't.

And this is Disney.

My sons' school district is among the highest paying in our region. This means that they get to choose the cream of the crop teachers.

Disney guests deserve the best. The good Disney CMs deserve the pay - and they deserve to work with co-workers that are good, not just what Disney can get.

Adrienne

Malcon10t
07-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Where are all these people who are doing this for the love of the game? That's what that meant?
If DLR had as many employees as they need (which they don't) and all these CMs were doing their jobs with smiles on their faces (which only some but not all of them are,) then they could play that game.DLR participates in all the job fairs it can, because it is short staffed. DLR, which once could pick and choose who to hire, now hires and burns out employees at lightening speed, because they have too few. (Last I heard, turn over is now marked by if someone can make it past probation.) The majority of employees there are not there because they love the job. They are there waiting til Starbucks or In 'N Out burger has an opening, because the pay and benefits are better at both of these.

Burnt Toast
07-30-2007, 08:56 AM
I HIGHLY doubt (being someone who worked at the Resort for over 10+ years now) that someone is making $23 an hour as a Ride Op unless they were full time and it was a holiday that day (meaning they get double time) or they were working a seventh day (meaning Sunday-Saturday) but I don't recall anyone on shift yesterday at Indy working a seventh.

gtpinoy
07-30-2007, 09:29 AM
If a guest comments on a CM postively, does that affect them salary wise?

adriennek
07-30-2007, 09:38 AM
DLR, which once could pick and choose who to hire, now hires and burns out employees at lightening speed, because they have too few. (Last I heard, turn over is now marked by if someone can make it past probation.)

This is one of the reasons that stores, restaurants and ODV carts are not open and why they don't have as many ODV carts as they used to. They just don't have the staff they need to run the parks.

If a guest comments on a CM postively, does that affect them salary wise?

No.

Adrienne

Crazy4DL
07-30-2007, 09:49 AM

That is about the most selfish statement I have heard in a while. :rolleyes:

Disney guests deserve the best. The good Disney CMs deserve the pay - and they deserve to work with co-workers that are good, not just what Disney can get.

Adrienne

So good, I had to quote!

dawnid
07-30-2007, 11:16 AM
I also doubt that there is an 6 year Attraction CM making $23 an hour. Disney middle management likes to hype the burnout excuse but really its the lack of appreciation from management & guests and #1 the inability to have a life during peak seasons. Some CM are told they are on mandatory OT, 6th & 7th day, fully available all summer and holidays. I likened it to signing up to be an indentured servant (not slavery, cause ya did volunter). Depending upon your classification it could be impossible to get a long weekend to do anything. CM's resort to using their allotted sick/absent points to get a day off. Then when they do get sick they're upside-down with their points and get fired and don't blame the CM for using their points this way - management suggests this instead of working with the CM and scheduling. (When I went to my manager with a day that I just couldn't be there he asked how my points were and suggested I call in).

If Disney was better staffed and flexible with scheduling the CM's make enough for the type of work it is. But since they aren't and they don't bend Disney will continue to have a revolving door of CM's.

Quinten27
07-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Personally, if they had a big tip jar at the entrace/exit for all the CM's to split, I'd drop in at least a $20 everyday I visited the park! CM's really can make your day when your at the park, and I really think they deserve more then they are getting paid.

If you figure an average daily attendance of 40,000 people, and each person tipped $1, and you have say 1000 CM's to split it between, that's an extra $40 a day each, which would certainely be appreciated! So get with it Disney, let us give some of our money to those who really deserve it, the ones who truly make the magic happen!

Rob9874
07-30-2007, 11:45 AM
... and #1 the inability to have a life during peak seasons. Some CM are told they are on mandatory OT, 6th & 7th day, fully available all summer and holidays.

WAAAA! I'm forced to spend 6 to 7 days a week at Disneyland, helping to make guests' visits more fun, and creating that Disney experience for them. :p