PDA

View Full Version : Tiki Room Question

mkcbunny
07-28-2007, 06:18 PM
A friend recently told me that they had heard the Enchanted Tiki Room was closing. I had not heard this and wondered where they'd get that idea?

I've lapsed on my DLR watching because this year's trip is to WDW in Florida, but I searched threads posted here on MousePad, and I checked the DLR calendar for refurbishment closings. I found nothing suggesting that this rumor was true. My friend seemed to think it meant a permanent close. This seemed nutty to me.

Anyone know whether there's any truth to this and/or where the rumor came from?

Thanks.

partyoffive
07-28-2007, 06:24 PM
I sure hope this is just an ugly rumor! We love the Tiki room. It's my kids favorite part of Disneyland (go figure huh! :) )

mkcbunny
07-28-2007, 06:39 PM
I sure hope this is just an ugly rumor! We love the Tiki room. It's my kids favorite part of Disneyland (go figure huh! :) )

It didn't make any sense to me, but I figure someone here might know of a factoid that could have sparked the idea.

stan4d_steph
07-29-2007, 05:07 AM
David Koenig wrote a recent article on MousePlanet speculating on what might be the next attraction to close (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mt070531dk). Tiki Room was mentioned, and becomes especially vulnerable when Dole's sponsorship deal expires.

TTFN92
07-31-2007, 12:33 PM
They just redid the whole ride though. Why would they put that much money into it to close it in a few years? That would be a shame. The only thing worse than closing it would be to destroy it like they did at WDW. I would rather see it close than to ruin it like that. It was HORRIBLE!

I hope that you just heard a nasty rumor.

JamesDL
07-31-2007, 02:35 PM
What did they change from it a few years ago?

DisneylandForever
07-31-2007, 02:51 PM
What did they change from it a few years ago?

They just refurbished it, but it was a complete refurbishment. It's always been the Tiki Room (minor show changes aside).

I too believe this is just a rumor based on speculation.

JamesDL
07-31-2007, 03:16 PM
They just refurbished it, but it was a complete refurbishment. It's always been the Tiki Room (minor show changes aside).

I too believe this is just a rumor based on speculation.

Complete refurbishment = All new birds / seats / etc? I hadn't been there for 8 years until this year and it seemed exactly the same as I remembered it 8 years ago.

DisneylandForever
07-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Complete refurbishment = All new birds / seats / etc? I hadn't been there for 8 years until this year and it seemed exactly the same as I remembered it 8 years ago.

New sound system (with digitally remastered audio), new birds (in fact I think almost all of the AA's in there are new) new roof, etc. It was polished up good for DL's 50th. Same show (including the pre-show) you saw 8 years ago, just new everything else. :)

JamesDL
07-31-2007, 04:04 PM
New sound system (with digitally remastered audio), new birds (in fact I think almost all of the AA's in there are new) new roof, etc. It was polished up good for DL's 50th. Same show (including the pre-show) you saw 8 years ago, just new everything else. :)

Ahhh! Ok thanks for the info! Yes I did notice the last time that the sound was really crisp and clear! I would hate to see it go too just because I know it would turn into another gift shop / food vendor because of it's small size. It isn't really one of my favorite rides, but still a fond memory.

BJW
07-31-2007, 04:57 PM
The reason I can't ever see them taking it out is the long lines at the Dole whip counter, plus it is an air-conditioned show that allows you to take your purchase from the Dole whip counter inside. I think that would be too much of a profit-center for DLR to close.

potzbie
07-31-2007, 07:27 PM
Maybe The Enchanted Tiki Room is only changing hands, and will stay open, but will be, -- ta-daah! -- "Under New Management"?
(See WDW for the reference.) :)

JohnGar
07-31-2007, 10:01 PM
Maybe The Enchanted Tiki Room is only changing hands, and will stay open, but will be, -- ta-daah! -- "Under New Management"?
(See WDW for the reference.) :)

Bite your tongue. Better yet, may the Brain Freeze Gods strike you down while you enjoy your next Dole Whip.

MrsPooh
08-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Bite your tongue. Better yet, may the Brain Freeze Gods strike you down while you enjoy your next Dole Whip.

No kidding!

Blasphemy! :eek:

:D;)