PDA

View Full Version : Attraction Spiel Reciters... what do you think?

Pages : [1] 2

layflowers
07-26-2007, 10:15 PM
I had this happen to me a couple of years ago... Went to ride the Haunted Mansion and was all excited and looking forward to it... we all entered the elevator and as the spiel started, this guy in front of me started reciting the whole spiel in a super loud voice... including the scream! Totally ruined the experience for me and I'm sure for everyone else too. I'm sure he was a super fan of the ride but I think he went too far. Are people really that oblivious of others enjoyment of the ride? What do you all think? Has this ever happened to you?

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
07-26-2007, 10:33 PM
A young man did that at the Tiki Room a few months ago. It was incredibly annoying.

DippyDawg32
07-26-2007, 10:39 PM
I had this happen to me a couple of years ago... Went to ride the Haunted Mansion and was all excited and looking forward to it... we all entered the elevator and as the spiel started, this guy in front of me started reciting the whole spiel in a super loud voice... including the scream! Totally ruined the experience for me and I'm sure for everyone else too. I'm sure he was a super fan of the ride but I think he went too far. Are people really that oblivious of others enjoyment of the ride? What do you all think? Has this ever happened to you?

"Hurry back, hurry back. Be sure to bring your death certificate if
you decide to join us. Make final arrangements now. We've been
dying to have you". - Leota

Burnt Toast
07-27-2007, 12:10 AM
I usually just say, "Yay an Anal Pass hole!" in my inner monologue voice and usually that gets them to quiet down.

MoKat72
07-27-2007, 06:14 AM
Yeah, that happens a lot. You can choose whether you let it get to you or not. I usually choose "not". Also, I figure that's my excuse to go on the ride again later.

PanFan
07-27-2007, 06:25 AM
I had one lady that used to always ride IASW and after giving the safety spiel from the tower, she would say "And I could spiel you right back!" I was like, "So?" I don't know what she was trying to prove other than that she rides IASW a lot.

yohomama212
07-27-2007, 10:01 AM
After going on many many rides with my mom and constantly hearing her screw it up, I've given up trying to correct her or talk her out of doing it. Maybe I can convince Burnt Toast to make one of his "anal pass hole" comments around her! I will admit to doing it, but only when there's not a whole bunch of people on the ride with us or everyone else is doing it too!

Elizabeth

MiaTurner
07-27-2007, 10:13 AM
I don't remeber who it was that said this, but soemone on the board mentioned that you can prove your love of a ride or get your excitement out by mouthing the words instead of saying them out loud. I know the entire Haunted Mansion spiel up, down, forwards, and backwards, but the only time I've ever spoken along was once a few years ago when it was me and about 5 other teenagers alone in an elevator, and ALL of us were doing it.

Yea, I like showing off that I'm a Haunted Mansion fanatic too, but that's why I tote my hitchhiking ghost bag around. No reason to ruin the ride and speak out loud; all that does is make people think you're a jerk.

I don't mind having a little fun on rides. On Pirates my dad always says "I got a BAD feeling about this!" before we go in the tunnel quiet enough for just me and mom to hear, all three of us put our hands up and act scared at the very end when they're taking you back up to the queue, and I scream in the HM elevator when the time is appropriate, but reciting the whole ride? There's a line between good-natured fun and just being inconsiderate.

yohomama212
07-27-2007, 10:18 AM
I don't mind having a little fun on rides. ...all three of us put our hands up and act scared at the very end when they're taking you back up to the queue, ...

I thought I was the only one who did this! Cool!

Elizabeth

layflowers
07-27-2007, 11:38 AM
As for me, I too know the spiels to POTC and HM backward and forward, but when I ride, I always remember that this may be someone's first time on that ride and they didn't pay good money to hear ME make my big POTC acting debut! I think this runs along the same vein as having a conversation (either on a cell or with a buddy) through an entire ride, oblivious to everyone around you. Sadly, I think that's happening more and more these days.

ladodgerjon
07-27-2007, 03:52 PM
I personally forward the official motion of:

Each person is allowed a total of THREE "speaking aloud" lines of any of the following bits of dialogue PER VISIT to Disneyland:

"Of course there's always MY way..."

"Aah, there you are!"

"Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me!"

"Howdy folks!"

"I'm not spong'in for rum, it be gold I'm after"

"Ye come seek'in adventure and salty old pirates, eh?!?"

"In the tiki, tiki, tiki room..."

"Please keep all arms and legs inside until the vehicle has come to a full and complete stop."

"termenes ces centavos, por favor" (or HOWEVER you spell it!)

"It's a small, small world..."

"Hey, everybody! Here we goooo!"

"Now departing for a grand circle tour of Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom..."

"All aboarrrrrrd!"

"It's the backside of water"

"He'll trade two of his heads for one of yours"

;-)

Rkkm
07-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Thank you for introducing this topic. I witnessed this with some unfortunate results.

I was in the Haunted Mansion yesterday, when a group of young women ... appeared to be in their 20s ... recited the intro and scream at the beginning of the ride, in the round room, just before the lights go out. They were very loud, screaming out both the words and some blood-curtling yells. My friend and I were standing next to them and had to put our fingers in our ears!

Sadly, there were some youngish children in the room as well. When the lights went back on, there were a number of children screaming in tears, absolutely terrified. Several of us helped various parents calm the children. It appeared to my school-teacher eyes that some trauma had occurred.

I have never seen numbers of young chldren react like this on this ride. So, I am guessing that it was the over-the-top shouting and screaming of the young women.

Now, I have long been of the opinion that HM is NOT a place for young children. But, as with all of the scary rides at DL and DCA, many, many parents disagree with me.

Yes, reciting the intro does ruin the intended effect of the HM. But those who like to do it should also take into consideration how they can also hurt - possibly long-term - young children.

DLmomof2
07-27-2007, 07:42 PM
I think it is rude to recite the spiels loudly. It does not bother me if someone is saying it quietly as to not disturb the people around them.
Rkkm I agree that HM is not for every child. My 7 & 4 year old handle it just fine. I think that someone screaming loudly in a crowed dark room can frighten any child no matter what age. People go on that ride not prepared to be surrounded by an inconsiderate rude guest. That has never happened to me but will make me want to prepare my children for the loud scream that rude people sometimes make. If they know where it is coming from they will be ok.

layflowers
07-27-2007, 09:23 PM
I think I was about 18 before I got up the courage to ride HM all by myself! Before then, I would always grab whoever was with me's arm in a vice grip and hang on for dear life... I'm such a scaredy cat! I can't imagine what nightmares this ride must induce in small children... especially those with active imaginations. I think whether a child rides is up to their parent who knows them best but I sure wouldn't make my 6 year old daughter go on. I know I would never hear the end of it and I would have a 6 year old in my bed at night for a couple of months!

MiaTurner
07-27-2007, 10:28 PM
It seems every child reacts differently. I've loved the mansion since I was four, and in fact usually begged my parents to let me get on a doombuggie by myself. My three year old cousin Sari ADORES it and mostly giggles through the whole thing, and screams along with the screamers in the stretching room. (Though she isn't too fond of Constance... I gotta admit, she's quite a bit scarier than the old bride. Sari nicknamed her Abby and always comments on how much she misses her on our way out of the attic ;))

Same goes for screaming. I scream in the stretching room, but it's not an ear-piercing scream; in fact, the soundtrack is louder than me and Sari are. I think screaming at that time is appropriate, but even I don't like it when people do wall-shaking screams.

tod
07-28-2007, 08:26 AM
No reason to ruin the ride and speak out loud; all that does is make people think you're a jerk.

I don't mind having a little fun on rides. On Pirates my dad always says "I got a BAD feeling about this!" before we go in the tunnel quiet enough for just me and mom to hear, all three of us put our hands up and act scared at the very end when they're taking you back up to the queue, and I scream in the HM elevator when the time is appropriate, but reciting the whole ride? There's a line between good-natured fun and just being inconsiderate.

Even these look-at-me actions look to me like you cross that line.

I am tired of people who selfishly ruin other guests' experiences and then cheerfully explain that they are "having fun," as if the funnest thing to do is to sear the eardrum of some unfortunate guest who unwittingly stood next to them when the lights went out.

Good for you on not reciting the narration. i wish more Haunted Mansion fans would follow your example.

--t

MiaTurner
07-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Even these look-at-me actions look to me like you cross that line.

I am tired of people who selfishly ruin other guests' experiences and then cheerfully explain that they are "having fun," as if the funnest thing to do is to sear the eardrum of some unfortunate guest who unwittingly stood next to them when the lights went out.
--t

Oh no, I totally agree :) We don't (or at least try) not to draw attention to ourselves when we do those things. Our screams in the stretching room are never loud enough for anyone to hear us over the soundtrack, same with talking on rides. As I mentioned in another thread, me and my little cousin have a general rule for how to act at Disney: if it will bother the people around you, don't do it.

Burnt Toast
07-28-2007, 02:11 PM
After going on many many rides with my mom and constantly hearing her screw it up, I've given up trying to correct her or talk her out of doing it. Maybe I can convince Burnt Toast to make one of his "anal pass hole" comments around her! I will admit to doing it, but only when there's not a whole bunch of people on the ride with us or everyone else is doing it too!

Elizabeth

Snicker! ;)

Glass Slipper
07-28-2007, 03:00 PM
People reciting lines from the attractions (but not too loudly) are no where near as annoying to me as people who are having their own high-volume conversations the whole time and are oblivious to those around them enjoying the ride. Actually, many of them seem oblivious that they are even ON the ride! And that inlcudes cell phone talkers....please save the chatter for AFTER the attractions!

JohnGar
07-28-2007, 03:57 PM
I think it's better if you lip synch to the spiel, that way it shows you know it and don't bother other folks.

The thing the wife and I like to do is on the Monorail is to "prompt" the spiel. We'll say, "Hey, what's that on the left?" and then the spiel will say, "On the left is ..." I heard the Monorail driver do this on the last trip after giving firework times and such.

CamCay
07-28-2007, 05:23 PM
um, hello. public speech in a public place? if you go somewhere with tens of thousands of people, you're gonna get some stupid ones. yes, they ruin your ride, but maybe you need to lighten up a little? they only annoy you if you let them. it happens. i don't go anywhere expecting everyone there to respect my personal opinions of how they should behave. especially teens, why should they care? it wasn't that long ago for me, i understand it now and hope i encourage my kids to express themselves. as long as it's not obscene or physically obusive, they need to make their own choices regarding their behavior.

GrouchoMarx
07-28-2007, 08:47 PM
I personally forward the official motion of:

Each person is allowed a total of THREE "speaking aloud" lines of any of the following bits of dialogue PER VISIT to Disneyland:

"termenes ces centavos, por favor" (or HOWEVER you spell it!)

If you're going to be speaking it aloud, may as well speak it (and spell it) correctly:
Permanecer sentados por favor

carolinakid
07-29-2007, 11:00 AM
I hate it when some fool starts to sing the DO DO DO DO Twilight Zone theme in the Tower of Terror library room or when they can recite the entire Rod Serling spiel...happens more often than not-I just roll my eyes and shake my head...

tod
07-29-2007, 11:55 AM
um, hello. public speech in a public place? if you go somewhere with tens of thousands of people, you're gonna get some stupid ones. yes, they ruin your ride, but maybe you need to lighten up a little? they only annoy you if you let them. it happens. i don't go anywhere expecting everyone there to respect my personal opinions of how they should behave. especially teens, why should they care? it wasn't that long ago for me, i understand it now and hope i encourage my kids to express themselves. as long as it's not obscene or physically obusive, they need to make their own choices regarding their behavior.

They can do anything they choose.

I don't have to like it.

--t

missmonkey
07-29-2007, 04:49 PM
The thing the wife and I like to do is on the Monorail is to "prompt" the spiel. We'll say, "Hey, what's that on the left?" and then the spiel will say, "On the left is ..." I heard the Monorail driver do this on the last trip after giving firework times and such.

Okay, that? Is quite witty. If only we could demand cleverness of our fellow riders. Good work, Mr. and Mrs. JohnGar.

Yeah, I second those who say it's the price of getting together with a herd of other visitors. I soothe myself when it happens by reminding myself that I'm lucky enough to have an AP. It means I'm able to visit often enough to realize that dumb things like that happen frequently.

Then I remind myself to visit on a Wednesday morning. :)