PDA

View Full Version : Who remembers the ticket days at Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2 3

zombie pirate
07-26-2007, 07:27 PM
I must be getting old. Who remembers when Disneyland had the ticket system? Where you had to buy the ticket books with the A,B,C,D, and E tickets. Or the Magic Key tickets. Do you remember which tickets you used on which rides? I still have a bunch of the old tickets left. Do you remember where inside the park you could buy more tickets as those precious E-tickets ran out?

houseofmouse
07-26-2007, 07:50 PM
I remember ticket days!! I was really, really, really, young :p when you had to use the A,B,C,D,E tickets. I will never forgot the spiel on the Jungle Cruise for "This takes an E ticket, for you Erip-e-dese out of your ticket book! I also remember begging my dad to buy more tickets when they ran out,although I don't remember the locations he did so. I also recall when you had to pin your ticket on your shirt, we had a ton of those big Disney buttons when I was small that we used to pin our tickets on. :) I am glad they don't do that anymore.

newhdplayer
07-26-2007, 08:03 PM
I do.

IdahoMike
07-26-2007, 09:00 PM
I was helping my mother in law clean out her garage about a year or so ago, and in one of the boxes, I found a partially used ticket book! It was pretty cool, I gave it to my wife, I think she tucked it away somewhere.

Rufus T Firefly
07-26-2007, 10:04 PM
I must be getting old. Who remembers when Disneyland had the ticket system? Where you had to buy the ticket books with the A,B,C,D, and E tickets. Or the Magic Key tickets. Do you remember which tickets you used on which rides? I still have a bunch of the old tickets left. Do you remember where inside the park you could buy more tickets as those precious E-tickets ran out?

There is still one of the old ticket booths located in Fantasyland. It is one of the giant toadstools in front of Alice in Wonderland. Check it out the next time you're there.

Leofoenget
07-26-2007, 10:45 PM
I have an unused book in my drawer. Yes I remember them all too well. Of course you would run out of E tickets and have to buy more. I second that I am so glad you don't have to do that anymore. You NEVER used up all the tickets and you always had A tickets left over

Suzie Minnie
07-27-2007, 12:57 AM
I remember but I was really young. I remember going with my Dad to the ticket booth for more tickets. I don't recall where they were located. I remember pinning something to our shirts too.

backsthepack
07-27-2007, 05:27 AM
I do! I was just a kid. I have some of our ticket books left from those days (no E tickets, obviously). I have used some of them in my scrapbooks about Disneyland.

zombie pirate
07-27-2007, 05:55 AM
I looked it up on E-Bay. you can get whole complete ticket books from the late 1960s to the early 1970s for under $10.

MermaidHair
07-27-2007, 07:53 AM
I Do!

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
07-27-2007, 08:01 AM
I Do!!!

Always went home with a handful of A tickets!!!!

Never enough E's!

splash
07-27-2007, 08:19 AM
I remember those too! It was always too few E tickets and too many A tickets. That really brings back the memories.

barely
07-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Back in '73 or '74, my best friend treated me to DL. I'd never been on the E-ticket Pirates of the Caribbean ride and she kept trying to get me to go on it. I thought it was a tour of a pirate ship so I wasn't really interested. Finally, down to our last E-ticket, we went on it. I LOVED :D it and it's been my favorite ever since. Sad part was, we'd used our last E-tickets so we were done for the day.:(

ghoofie
07-27-2007, 09:20 AM
I sure do. In fact, I remember that for a time, when they went to the all day ticket, that you could turn in old ABCDE tickets for credit towards the purchase. We did so. Of course, we didn't have any C,D or E tickets to turn in, just A's and B's. We always seemed to have leftover A and B, and bought extra D and E's.

Wendi
07-27-2007, 09:25 AM
I remember... I wish I could say I was really, really young... but I was just young.

dawnid
07-27-2007, 10:45 AM
I looked it up on E-Bay. you can get whole complete ticket books from the late 1960s to the early 1970s for under $10.

I'd read the description carefully, usually the cheaper "complete" books are complimentary tickets, Magic Key books, or they are missing the admission ticket cover.

A good to mint complete book with cover and all tickets, depending upon how many bidders, will run upwards of $100. I'd say if it does sell for around $10 the seller listed it wrong so people couldn't find it. I've bought a couple and I WISH they only cost me $10. I love the old ticket books.

My mom didn't like any type of thrill/drop ride so my dad, sister and I got to use her tickets. For the 50th Disney sold replicas of some of the old ticket booths and I've got those displayed with the ticket books I was able to buy. Isn't E-ticket in a lexicon for something good or exciting?

destinationdisney
07-27-2007, 11:10 AM
I still have quite a few ticket books . Some even have E tickets. I even saved bags from the old days when they were still paper and had fireworks on them. I remember they had a ticket booth near HM. I even remember when they still had flying saucer bumper cars in Tomorrowland. I have always loved Disneyland now more than ever!

PinkFloyd
07-27-2007, 01:09 PM
I was young too, but I do remember ticket books. I also remember the first time we went to DL when they switched from ticket books to passports. For some reason my grandmother bought us all pins and made us pin our passport stub to our shirts!? We must have looked like a bunch of dorks!

rakkwhite
07-27-2007, 03:02 PM
There is still one of the old ticket booths located in Fantasyland. It is one of the giant toadstools in front of Alice in Wonderland. Check it out the next time you're there.

Wow, I always wondered about that toadstool. My kids always comment on it and wonder why there are a pair of shoes on top of it. I haven't read Alice in Wonderland :eek:, so I've never been able to answer their question. Anyone know? :confused:

SANDYMARIE
07-27-2007, 04:08 PM

That is so cool! I'll do that. Thanks!

TTFN

crazydad123
07-27-2007, 05:42 PM
As I remember, they only gave you one "A" ticket in a book of 15 (the Deluxe Admission). We always saves ours for a vehicle ride from the castle to the Main Street hub after a long day of walking and long standing in lines. We went in August a couple of times when I was a kid--in those days a vacation was a real luxury for my folks. With the standing time, we used up our "E" tickets and most of the others in a full day at the park. I only remember there being 5 "E" tickets at the time, and buying more tickets didn't fit our time or budget.
One August, I think in 1978, it rained a lot. My bride-to-be and I did the park and it is the first time I remember using every ticket, because we got through the short lines so quickly. Of course, we only had dry underwear until we took the Storybook Boats. Great day that we've repeated many times over the years.

Mickeygirlforever
07-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Wow, I always wondered about that toadstool. My kids always comment on it and wonder why there are a pair of shoes on top of it. I haven't read Alice in Wonderland :eek:, so I've never been able to answer their question. Anyone know? :confused:

My mom's always told us it's the caterpillar's shoes.

I was never around for the tickets, but my mom and grandma always tell me stories of how they could never decide where to use their E tickets. Pirates, or the Tiki Room, etc. They also tell me that they'd use all their E tickets first because they're so excited and then have to go around the rest of the day using their As and Bs. They've got a bunch of good stories to tell. I think my grandma's been going to Disneyland every year since about 57 or so. :)

zombie pirate
07-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Here is a nice little site on Disneylands old attraction tickets. you need to go about 1/2 way down the page and click on Ticketbooth, this is the only way I could get the link to work.

www.sorcerersworkshop.org

MiaTurner
07-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Obviously the tickets were before my time... Reading that site Zombie Pirate provided, I'm rather glad I was never around to see them :eek: 8 ride limit? Heck, I ride the Haunted Mansion more than that inna few hours...

Malcon10t
07-28-2007, 03:16 PM
I remember the old ticket books all too well. Then in the mid/late 70s, with the Magic Kingdom Club, you could get all day tickets. I remember getting and using those (you looped them on a button or pinned them on) and having everyone ask "How'd you get that???" A year or two later, they were available at the park.