PDA

View Full Version : Mickey's Halloween Treat - tickets not as popular?

olegc
07-26-2007, 04:55 PM
so what do you all think?
An additional email went out today reminding AP holders to buy tickets now before Aug1 before the price goes up.

Disney Vacation Club is offering discounted tickets to the MHT as well - none online but you can buy them at same price before Aug 1 and then for 27 dollars up to day before event.

So I am thinking - in the past most nights sold out prior to going to the public (1st year all were sold out). Now - they seem to have slowed significantly.

Do you think it's Cost? Lack of new things to see/do? Combo?

It does not bode well for this to become like Mickey's Not So Scary in Florida if they don't add value for dollar.

Darkbeer
07-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Yes, I think it is a combo of why (mostly AP holders) that have been to the event in the past to spend the money for an after hour event when you get most of the stuff for no extra charge during normal operating hours.

And then those who do not have an AP pay for the ticket, but more than likely have been to park prior to the event.

There is really nothing new, except free candy. Just go to the store and buy a few bags for a lot less than the cost of the MHT tickets.

Another Dimension
07-26-2007, 05:30 PM
When (if) the 'character cavalcade', which should be cool anyway, (eventually) turns into a Disney Halloween parade, in either park..., when Hallo-Wishes or any Halloween pyro comes to the DLR and/or when some exciting bands or fun Halloween themed shows are booked for the Halloween event dates.... MHT will sell out quick again, like the first year did.

DaddyB
07-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Yes, I think it is a combo of why (mostly AP holders) that have been to the event in the past to spend the money for an after hour event when you get most of the stuff for no extra charge during normal operating hours.

And then those who do not have an AP pay for the ticket, but more than likely have been to park prior to the event.

There is really nothing new, except free candy. Just go to the store and buy a few bags for a lot less than the cost of the MHT tickets.While that may be PARTLY true, almost all of the rides are open during this after hours event, and you can ride them pretty much at will because so many people are trying to score candy with thier kids they don't line up to ride... so if you love Screamin, Soarin' or Hollywood Tower Hotel, it's a really great deal.

It was an especially good deal the first year when tickets were WAY cheaper (by half). But when folks started scalping those tickets on ebay for up to 5 times the selling price, Disney wised up.

It's decent deal if you want to see the characters in halloween dress, and want to see the cavalcade this year, and especially if you want to ride rides almost to your hearts content (and maybe do a little dancing), but I agree with Darkbeer that it's a pretty crappy deal for scoring candy since you can buy it at walgreens for $2 a bag anyway.

Rkkm
07-29-2007, 08:03 AM
My guess is that every night of the event is a work night, meaning you go after working or going to school all day. That also means driving in heavy traffic to get there if you use the 91 or 5, both of which will be crowded with people going home from work or, if a Friday night, heading out to the desert or the Colorado River for weekend fun. Both of these factors kept us away last year. (But couldn't resist and are going on Friday the 19th this year.)

I wish they would have Saturdays like they did the first year. That would certainly improve ticket sales.

olegc
07-30-2007, 07:44 AM
My guess is that every night of the event is a work night, meaning you go after working or going to school all day. That also means driving in heavy traffic to get there if you use the 91 or 5, both of which will be crowded with people going home from work or, if a Friday night, heading out to the desert or the Colorado River for weekend fun. Both of these factors kept us away last year. (But couldn't resist and are going on Friday the 19th this year.)

I wish they would have Saturdays like they did the first year. That would certainly improve ticket sales.

well, yes, but in previous years every one of these dates sold out... so that work night thing holds to a point...

It probably that AP holders are bored with it and don't buy them in advance so much. If the tickets go up in price again next year, or if they don't add more entertainment, we won't be back.

kathynova
07-30-2007, 03:33 PM
You're all bumming me out! I bought tickets for the first time this year....I sure hope I haven't gotten "taken". It's just me and my daughter....and we love Disney and DCA, so I thought it would be fun. I guess I need to try everything once!

olegc
07-30-2007, 04:54 PM
You're all bumming me out! I bought tickets for the first time this year....I sure hope I haven't gotten "taken". It's just me and my daughter....and we love Disney and DCA, so I thought it would be fun. I guess I need to try everything once!

no no - sorry. If you have never been - you will have A BLAST! It's a very fun event. I think for those that have gone every year (and not because it's their job, right AVP and AK?), like me, are wondering about the benefits of going. I am sure it will sell out now that it's exposed to the public (as of Wed).

adriennek
07-30-2007, 09:25 PM
no no - sorry. If you have never been - you will have A BLAST! It's a very fun event. I think for those that have gone every year (and not because it's their job, right AVP and AK?), like me, are wondering about the benefits of going.

Personally, oleg, I'm totally with you on this one. I don't think it's all that and a bag of chips. And if it were up to me, we wouldn't be going.

But.

It's a social event for our family. We have out of town friends who think our kids rock hard (we're very blessed in this regard.) And they get a huge kick out of going to MHT with our kids. Last year, I didn't buy tickets before they sold out and these friends found tickets - on EBAY - so my family would go with them. (And, to be fair, we have in-town friends who also get a kick out of attending with our children.)

We went. My then 5-y/o, dressed as Young Obi Wan, had a light saber fight with Mickey caught on film. Minnie swooned over my then-2-y/o Yoda who later had his own light saber/sword fight with a real life POTC auctioneer pirate.

So the reason I go is because my friends and my kids have such a good time. It has nothing to do with the value of the ticket for the money.

Adrienne

olegc
07-30-2007, 09:52 PM
we're going because of "friends" too - but what we do is let the kids bring one friend each (I have 4 kids) and they get to visit DCA (which they don't do that often). So for them it's fun - for me I just like to follow them around and eat their candy :eek:

cstephens
07-30-2007, 10:04 PM
for me I just like to follow them around and eat their candy :eek:

Did you steal their apple slices last year? ;)

Rkkm
07-30-2007, 10:17 PM

You will have a great time! The decorations are spectacular, the characters are in Halloween costumes, there is candy EVERYWHERE (just bring your own bag as theirs tend to break under the weight of all that free candy) and the ride lines are almost non-existant - one of the CMs at Soaring was begging people to come in. The crowds are smallish, though the lines to have your picture taken with the characters can be long. It is a unique, fun experience for any Disney lover/addict. I have been before, am not bringing children and am really looking forward to going!

AVP
07-31-2007, 07:12 AM
October 26th is now sold out...

Dr. Shrinker
07-31-2007, 08:17 AM
October 26th is now sold out...

Whew! We just made it, then.

Were tickets on sale this far in advance last year? I don't remember buying them 3 whole months before the event. That might be part of the reason they're not selling as quickly. (Or, I may be totally wrong. It's happened before.)

cstephens
07-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Were tickets on sale this far in advance last year? I don't remember buying them 3 whole months before the event. That might be part of the reason they're not selling as quickly. (Or, I may be totally wrong. It's happened before.)

Can't remember if it was last year or the first year, but I remember buying tickets in April.

charpaul
07-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Last year I also bought tickets in April - they didn't do that the first year.

I am going again this year with a group of friends. Some of which do NOT have an AP - so this is a CHEAP way to let them see DCA and have some fun!!

It is more about a different Disney experience for me on these nights. I WOULD like to have a parade and fireworks - but I hope that these will still come with time.

I also KNOW that the first year MANY of my AP friends went on multiple nights. I do not know anyone who has told me that they are going multiple times this year. Just one more reason it has not sold out yet....