PDA

View Full Version : GCH Remodeled Rooms

pisces
07-26-2007, 04:08 PM
There hasn't been too many reports on how people like the new room features at the Grand Californian. Maybe it's not technically a "remodel" in that they only changed beds and mattresses, put new Flat-screen TVs, and installed custom CD/clock radios.

When I was there last year, they'd only just changed the beds and radios. So, I can't speak for the new TV.

The beds are sky-high, and it's like you need a ladder to hop in. I like a low bed, myself, but the pillow-top mattresses were comfortable. That's for a king room. Don't know about the bunk beds.

I know it seems outrageous to worry about furnishings/amenities, but for those kinds of prices, I for one, do tend to spend a bit more time in the rooms to get my money's worth.

Anyone else noticed the new features?

jenpace
07-26-2007, 04:52 PM
When we stayed in March of this year our room had the new flat screen TV and also a BOSE radio/cd player which were really nice. I liked that the new TV cabinet/dresser already had the refrigerator in it so we didn't have to trip all over the old kind that they put on the floor by the sinks.

On a side note, I noticed that the old GCH TV armoires are being sold on Ebay for $159.00.

Jennifer

WifeyMommy
07-26-2007, 05:11 PM
There seems to be more room. The tv is great. For those of you like us who bring our video games with us :| The av outlets are on the side making it much easier for the video camera and game plug in. I think they could use a nice reclining wing back chair. I will put it on my wish list.

Jewels
07-26-2007, 05:26 PM
I liked that the new TV cabinet/dresser already had the refrigerator in it so we didn't have to trip all over the old kind that they put on the floor by the sinks.

Jennifer

Wow I had not heard this one yet. I just heard about the new TVs and such. Having a refrigerator tucked away would be nice. We always get one and it was a bit in the way by the sinks. So does that mean they have two in the cabinet now? The stocked one and an empty one?

jenpace
07-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Wow I had not heard this one yet. I just heard about the new TVs and such. Having a refrigerator tucked away would be nice. We always get one and it was a bit in the way by the sinks. So does that mean they have two in the cabinet now? The stocked one and an empty one?

Nope, they got rid of the honor bar fridges.

Jennifer

oohykitten
07-26-2007, 11:12 PM
On a side note, I noticed that the old GCH TV armoires are being sold on Ebay for $159.00.

Jennifer
Link please!

jenpace
07-27-2007, 06:44 AM
Link please!

There aren't any currently listed but I think this seller has a LOT of them and if you check back there will be some listed again soon.

Here is a link to the completed auctions for the armoires:

http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&frpp=25&from=R10&satitle=disneyland+armoire&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sadis=200&fpos=95060&sabfmts=1&fis=2&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&sabdlo=&sabdhi=&saprclo=&saprchi=&seller=1&sass=surpluskingdom&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D2&fgtp=

Here is a link to all his current listings that are active:

http://stores.ebay.com/surpluskingdom

They seem to have a good variety of items from all the Disney resorts.

Although I think it would be awesome to have one of those armoires for my very own I don't know what I would do with it once I got it home ;)

:)Jen:)

Infinitely
07-27-2007, 06:57 AM
I miss the stocked honor bar, we used it often and enjoyed the convenience of it. I know we can fill it ourselves when we arrive, but there is something nice about having it refilled everyday...a little luxury, I suppose.

The beds are very high, if you sit on them, your feet don't touch the ground...okay well, mine don‘t, and I like it! tee hee

jenpace
07-27-2007, 07:04 AM
I miss the stocked honor bar, we used it often and enjoyed the convenience of it. I know we can fill it ourselves when we arrive, but there is something nice about having it refilled everyday...a little luxury, I suppose.

Not me! I always had them lock and disable the honor bar so my kids wouldn't rack up enormous charges.

The beds are very high, if you sit on them, your feet don't touch the ground...okay well, mine don‘t, and I like it! tee hee

We didn't notice that the beds were any higher...but we're on the taller side. I'm 5'10" and DH is 6'6" :)

Jen

Infinitely
07-27-2007, 07:08 AM
We didn't notice that the beds were any higher...but we're on the taller side. I'm 5'10" and DH is 6'6" :)

Jen

Hee hee, am almost 5'4" and my husband is 5'9", so for us, even a half an inch would be noticeable.

Jewels
07-27-2007, 08:23 AM
I can't say I will miss that honor bar. We never used it. It will be interesting to see the new beds. For those who have stayed at both do you think the new GCH beds are now as tall as the ones at DLH?

disneychick
07-27-2007, 09:51 AM
LOVE the high beds at the GCH!! We found them to be the most comfortable beds we've had in a hotel - very nice after a long day in the parks. Even the bunk bed mattresses were very comfy!

carolinakid
07-29-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm another who'll miss the convenience of the mini bar (we don't have kids). I'll have to stock it when I arrive....Anyone know where they'll be selling spirits? maybe in the lobby gift shop? I'll check out the rest of the changes in December...

DizneyMommy
07-29-2007, 11:18 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/DISNEYLAND-GRAND-CALIFORIAN-RESORT-ARMOIRE-W-FRIDGE_W0QQitemZ120146194844QQihZ002QQcategoryZ138 0QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a listing link that is active

pisces
07-29-2007, 03:56 PM
You know I'd actually think about buying that if I could get ahold of the matching headboard (Bed) that goes along with it. And then I'd need the bedspread, of course.

They really should think about opening up a regular retail shop where they sell their furnishings. Although, you can't beat the price of close-outs, I guess.

jMom
07-30-2007, 08:28 AM
I stayed at the GCH in February and our room had a flat-panel TV, DVD player, and fridge inside the armoire. I did not notice a Bose radio, though.

The beds were high (I had to either boost up my 4-yo or provide a chair), which is not my fav w/ small kids. They were very comfortable, though.

Add me to the list of thise who do not want an honor bar thingy -- but maybe the hotel could offer it as an add-on to room reservations for those who prefer it?

That eBay link is SOOOOOO tempting, but I could only put it in our garage right now :(

The Evil Queen
07-30-2007, 11:45 AM
We were there in March...Noticed the higher bed, but I slept in the trundle part of the bunk beds with my son. Gave up the big bed to my mom (I'm such sweet daughter). She remarked about how comfortable it was.

On another note, the nurse at the GCH is VERY nice. My son ended up with a cough caused by a sinus infection and she was at the ready with phone numbers and medicine.

As it turns out, she referred me to an on-call pediatrician...very nice also, but VERY pricey. $250 just to leave his home, $85 for the meds. BUT, nobody want to have a sick child at Disneyland! We gladly *coughed* up *(ahem) the cash for this ;).