PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience flying standby?

bittyx2
07-26-2007, 07:17 AM
My husband is a FedEx employee and we are able to purchase tickets on Southwest Airlines at a huge discounted rate, but we have to fly standby. I have signed up to take the Disney Magical Express, but am wondering what will happen if we are not able to make the first flight out.

Has anyone flown stand by before? Just not sure what to expect.

GusMan
07-26-2007, 07:38 AM
While I know that some people have no issues with it, I would not want to take the chance. The way that airlines overbook flights these days, it can be a real crap shoot. Maybe for the flight back home but not when I am trying to start my vacation.

Now, if you have a paid ticket and a guaranteed sear and you want to get on another, earlier flight via standby, that is a different story. You can take the chance and if it does not work out you at least have your orig. flight.

mouskadoer
07-26-2007, 08:15 AM
Hey we will be staying at the POR 8/11 thru 8/17!!!

Wendi
07-26-2007, 09:07 AM
My husband is a FedEx employee and we are able to purchase tickets on Southwest Airlines at a huge discounted rate, but we have to fly standby. I have signed up to take the Disney Magical Express, but am wondering what will happen if we are not able to make the first flight out.

Has anyone flown stand by before? Just not sure what to expect.

I would just check the SWA website right before you go... put in a request for 8 seats on your flight and see if they are available... if they are you shouldn't have a problem getting on. Keep the DME phone number with you and just call them if you end up with another flight and give them the information at that time, I think you'll be just fine.

mom22gls
07-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Another factor is if you would be able to split up, so that if one seat becomes available, you don't have to pass it by, because you will only fly together. Every Southwest flight I have taken has been pretty much fully booked (including a Thursday afternoon flight to Manchester, NH last week) If it's just the two adults, flip a coin, and see who takes that flight, and who waits for the next one (if there is another flight within a few hours). If you are traveling with kids, I think I would just pay full price-the odds of getting more than two seats on standby on the same flight would not be great, and the kids would get upset if one got to "go" and the others get left behind. In fact, if feasible, if it is two adults, I would pay full fare for one for a flight, take the chance that one can fly standby, but have a back up plan for the other person to take the next flight, or one early the next day. Be prepared to pay full fare (or just book the best fare you can get and take the credit if you cancel), for the next flight.

trampslady
07-26-2007, 12:49 PM
I am an airline employee and travel standby all the time and have for 12 years. It's important to note that just because a plane is full doesn't mean there weren't available seats. In fact, most flights depart with nonrevenue customers (i.e. airline employees, fedex employees, etc) on them. Just contact reservations to check the loads before your flights, and have a backup plan. We generally travel on early morning flights.....

Drince88
07-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Personally, if you are comfortable flying standby, I wouldn't worry about the DME part of it. You go to the counter when you get in, and they'll pull off any bags with yellow tags no matter what flight they came in on. They aren't going to deny you the ability to get on a bus at MCO for the resorts because you were on a different flight then you said you'd be on.

Also, I'd check what the standby rules are for checked bags. I know in the olden days, you couldn't check a bag if you were standby, but with all the restrictions on what you can bring through security any more, I'm not sure if that's changed.

If you'll be flying in the same season as now - I'd also do the 'try to book 8 seats' thing with the same flight/day of the week you want now. And remember, if you need a connecting flight, you could get bumped at the layover airport. And if there's been any 'flight disturbing weather' in the day or two prior, they're going to be scrambling to get everyone on planes that had paid full fare, and there's no way you'll get on with standby. If you're not flying at a dangerous time of the year (i.e., December through Denver), then that risk is a whole lot lower (and you'll know about that from the news beforehand, anyway).