PDA

View Full Version : What can I do about a forced flight change?

Pages : [1] 2

Wendy Bird
07-25-2007, 05:40 PM
:mad: UGH, so I just got a call form Delta saying that they changed our flight schedule. Our layover that was 55 minutes is now 25 minutes which they say is illegal ( so why did they change it)
Is there anything I can do to get back the difference that I paid for the flight we had that had a 55 minute layover (now 25 minutes) to one that will be a 2hour layover? I also just view the seat left on the flight, none are together and they are in the back ( I think I get motion sickness sitting in the back.)

jheigl
07-25-2007, 05:49 PM
I would call them and request a different airline that has somewhat the same schedule you booked before they rescheduled you.

Klutch
07-25-2007, 06:05 PM
FYI, if the airline changes the schedule for the original flight which you booked, you can change to any available flight to the same destination with no penalty fees.

I did this last December. I booked two round-trip tickets from Denver to Orlando for $94 each. The only problem was a long layover on the way out. Well, Delta changed the schedule by just a few minutes. This allowed me to rebook to another flight with a more reasonable layover; free of charge.

Call Delta and very politely tell the agent you want to book another flight with a more reasonable layover. They should make every effort to book you on another flight and not charge you any fees

Also, sitting in the back of a plane shouldn't give you motion sickness any more than sitting in the front. The ride is the same, it's just a little noisier and busier (because it's usually near a lavatory).

GusMan
07-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Well, did you ask Delta what they could do for you if anything? If not, start there. Ask them since THEY changed things around what are THEY planning to do if for some reason you miss your flight because of this schedule change. Just whatever you do - remain calm and cool when talking with them. Getting irate with them will not help the situation.

Im not sure what is so "illegal" about this change or the layover time, but I would call it really poor customer service on Delta's behalf at the very least. But in essence, you paid for a ticket and they are obligated to get you from your point of origin to the destination.

Think of it this way... the short layover may work in your favor as long as there are no delays in the process. But with that said where are you starting from and where is the layover? That can make a difference.

ETA: Klutch has a good idea above with the free change clause.

dahunter1129
07-25-2007, 06:32 PM
We had this happen for our flight. Air Tran changed our departure from Orlando from 10 PM non stop to 6 PM with a 3 hour layover. We would have been leaving several hours earlier and getting into Philly later. I flipped on them... I have been planning this trip for a year, and I had every last minute planned out. First, as above, ask what they are willing to do for you. They may offer a voucher (Air Tran did, I didn't want it.) They offered a flight the next day, but I couldn't get them to pay for our hotel ahead of time, they wanted to reimburse us for an extra night AFTER we got back, and that was not acceptable to me. (Hey, call me what you want, some say it rhymes with witch, but they changed MY plans.PLUS, I know they could have gotten the room paid for, they have a very close relationship with WDW TC) So, I checked for other flights on other airlines, and got a 9 PM flight on US Air. I demanded, and got, a full refund from AirTran. If they will not refund you, this is a guaranteed dispute for every credit card company in the US (hubby has been at Bank of America in disputes for 17 years) as they are not delivering what you purchased. Threaten them with that if they balk at a refund. You do not have to accept their changes...just stand firm and know what you want. Good luck, and please post the results.

Oh, and PS, the back of the plane is NOT cool for motion sickness. Spent an entire flight to Houston in the back of the plane PRAYING for the plane to stop spinning. Doesn't happen in the front or middle.

Wendy Bird
07-25-2007, 06:35 PM
"illegal" is a word they used, i guess they cant sell tickets that have a layover under so many minutes, maybe to hold the flight or something if there was a delay

am i'm not sure if it was motion sickness but the last time i was on a flight i was in the last row and i have the huuugest headache after we landed. i was thinkig cause the air hits the back different and it may sway?? :confused:

There were only 2 flights to choose from, one to the same airport but we leave Orlando at 4 instead of 5:30 to get our same connector in Georgia or we leave at 5:30 from Orlando to Salt Lake and wait and hour and a half.

bradk
07-25-2007, 07:10 PM
the airlines are deregulated. it's up to the airline to enforce their own policies (which of course vary between airlines). Delta actually puts it into their contract of carriage that times of the flights aren't guaranteed at purchase and they aren't responsible for any missed connections, etc.

you may want to familiarize yourself with Delta's policies at http://www.delta.com/legal/contract_of_carriage/index.jsp

but to be honest, i doubt this is the last time they'll make changes anyway, so i'm not sure how much of a headache you should give yourself right now over it.

while you'll hear 'all airlines do it,' which is true to an extent, Delta does it an abnormal amount. and their customer service isn't getting the best reviews lately either.

efoxx
07-25-2007, 08:03 PM
25 min. is not considered by any accounts sufficient time for a change of planes. it is all but guaranteed that if you make the plane your luggage won't. Every airline is, by law supposed to make available all policies regarding such things as changes in schedules, short connection times, lost and delayed luggage. also both the federal government and many states have specific laws about many of these things. for instance in Hawaii if luggage is delayed more then 12 hours (I think thats the time period) visitors to Hawaii are allowed up to $200 from the airline for replacement of clothes and personal items per pax. the airlines, unless specifically mandated by law will not show you any more then you know to ask for. even then they can be deceptive, for instance if you were to call United's customer service line in Chicago from Hawaii they would tell you that there is no such law unless you specifically said Hawaii as there is no such law in Illinois. the next step is for you to call the airline, request a flight change at no charge since they changed your schedule. if this doesn't work then request all information on airline policy, state laws including your departure state, and states you land in along the way, and of course Florida state laws, as well as federal laws. chances are though you will not have to go this far. the flight changes are generated by one department, then a computer automatically moves people around to meet those changes. most of the time nothing else need be done as the time changes are usually in minutes. if your out going flight has been changed to an earlier time, your arrival time differs by more then 2 hours, or you have less then 45 minutes under federal law you should be entitled to rescheduling. what Bradk said really means it can be tough getting your rights as procedures for compensation are often muddled and hard to get through. personally I think this is done intentionally as most people will give up before the system wears them down.

efoxx
07-25-2007, 08:05 PM
I would call them and request a different airline that has somewhat the same schedule you booked before they rescheduled you.I guarantee they will NOT do that, at best they will refund your money leaving you with trying to find your own airfare to MCO.

jheigl
07-25-2007, 08:36 PM
I guarantee they will NOT do that, at best they will refund your money leaving you with trying to find your own airfare to MCO.

I wouldn't be so sure. On my trip I just took to NC, they changed my flight to leave home at the time I was supposed to arrive in NC. I asked them if there were any other airlines that had roughly the same schedule that I had booked and if they would book me that flight on the other airline instead. They said they would, but there wasn't one available. I do not know if they were lying or not, but I would think they would just say they can't do that.

bradk
07-25-2007, 08:41 PM
it'd be up to the airlines. i'm not sure if you're saying the flight was days before or shortly before you were scheduled to leave.

rule 240 used to cover that when the airlines were regulated. within certain time parameters, if your flight was canceled or rescheduled due to the airline's error, one option was they'd have to book you on another airline if possible.

with the deregulation, it's up to each airline. most still have a rule 240 (or what they'll affectionately call rule 240) but the ones that have it more deeply ingrained are the legacy carriers. in fact, the budget carriers won't be able to just book you on another airline because they don't have that relationship that the legacies have with eachother.

in any case, this won't apply for rule 240 (as i followed up, Delta even covers it all in their contract). not to say they won't do anything, but if they do, it's mostly in the interest of customer service.

Drince88
07-26-2007, 04:22 AM
How much later are you arriving in Orlando? That often seems to be a differentiator in how easily they'll put you on another airline. I think with United when they did it to me was 3 hours (that actually was same day flight cancellations - but same basic idea).

How old are the others flying with you? If there are kids, you might get Delta to put your seats together if you make that known to them. They might have to wait until the day of the flight at the airport, so arrive early and ask again when you check in/get to the gate.

That said, if it's in a bigger airport, a 2 hour layover isn't tooooo bad. If you're at a meal time, go get something to eat at a 'real' restaurant. Browse through the shops, get an ice cream cone treat (Ice cream seems to taste REALLY good in airports, I think due to the dryness of the air in the airplanes!)

disnut8
07-26-2007, 07:45 AM
Have you just talked to the reservations department? They have pat standard lines that they say for whatever given situation you are calling about. Ask them for Customer Service and be prepared for a lengthy phone call. But be prepared with all your facts and Delta's stated policy on their website. And be nice. Write everything out before you call Customer Service. Have your ticket numbers ready for reference. State why you are concerned. Don't ask them what they can do for you. Give them a solution that would work for you. Be prepared to compromise. If you were told that the layover is "illegal", ask why you were told that. It could be a quoted FCC regulation. You didn't say any of the particulars of where the layover that was reduced from 55 minutes to 25 minutes was going through. It's entirely possible that the two flights are scheduled to be at nearby gates to each other. One thing you can do before you call is to check the previous day's on time stats for the flights as well as the gates the one came into and the other one left from.

If you can't get anywhere, then go to wikipedia and do a search on Delta. Get the key contact names for Delta. Usually the CEO and CFO. Then do a business directory search for Atlanta and get the LOCAL phone number for Delta (it'll start with a 678-, 770-, or 404- area code). Call the LOCAL phone number in Atlanta and ask to speak to the CEO's office - use his/her name and ask for his/her OFFICE, not the actual person. You probably will not be given access. Then ask for the CEO's email address or fax number, preferably both.

Email and fax what you wrote out explaining the situation. If Delta is like Northwest, you'll get a respnse the next business day.

As you can tell, I just had recent experience with Northwest on a situation. They refused to waive the $100 change fee because I just had brain surgery and well, flying at 30,000 feet the day after I got home from the hospital was not something the surgeon wanted me to do. I got absolutely no where with the reservation people and Customer Service never gave me a human to talk to. I emailed and faxed the CEO on a Friday afternoon and received a response on Monday morning. Not a refund but I was given $200 in flying credits.

PM me if you would like a copy of what I sent and how I went about getting to the top and having the situation resolved. No fuss, no muss.

dahunter1129
07-26-2007, 03:46 PM
If you can't get anywhere, then go to wikipedia and do a search on Delta. Get the key contact names for Delta. Usually the CEO and CFO.

I like your style Disnut!!

TinaMouse
07-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Air Tran messed with my non-stop and layed me over 5 hours in ATL. It monkeyed with my dinner reservations, so I called them up and VERY POLITELY asked for a shorter layover. I didn't even complain about the change (although it does stink).

The reservationist got me into MCO within 30 minutes of my original time (I have to leave MSP earlier and still have about a 1.5 hour layover in ATL). I am satisfied with the fix, even though it isn't GREAT.

MY QUESTION from this explanation is (and sorry if it takes the OT off for a second)--Do I need to tell ME about the flight change? The planes and flight numbers are completely different, but arrival time is close. Return trip has not been effected (affected? never can remember!!:geek:).

Wendy Bird
07-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for all your input guys.

I think I was just mad at the fact that I picked the fast flight out of Orlando to get home (who wants to spend 10 hours on a plane and airport) and the other options left us planes with no DirecTV (checking on seatguru.com)

I called back delta today with their 800 number and the person I talked to said that my flight was OK the way it was the times had change and she told me that the new time of 25 minutes I had between flights was not a problem. She then told me that if I wanted to change flight times I would incurred a $50 penalty and whatever the price adjustment would be.

I made sure 3 times before I hung up that 25 minutes was an OK time to get from one plane to the next and she kept on tell me yes :confused:

It was a little hard to communicate with the reprehensive on my cell phone so I might try to call again on a LAN-line at home (it also sound like these are outsourced calls :|)

Wendy Bird
07-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Air Tran messed with my non-stop and layed me over 5 hours in ATL. It monkeyed with my dinner reservations, so I called them up and VERY POLITELY asked for a shorter layover. I didn't even complain about the change (although it does stink).

The reservationist got me into MCO within 30 minutes of my original time (I have to leave MSP earlier and still have about a 1.5 hour layover in ATL). I am satisfied with the fix, even though it isn't GREAT.

MY QUESTION from this explanation is (and sorry if it takes the OT off for a second)--Do I need to tell ME about the flight change? The planes and flight numbers are completely different, but arrival time is close. Return trip has not been effected (affected? never can remember!!:geek:).

From what i understand is the ME has the flight number and they check the day of, so they will know if there has been a delay

but if the flight has change i would give them a call asap to let them know

dahunter1129
07-26-2007, 05:21 PM

I would, to be safe, call DME with the flight change. Who wants a hassle when you are trying to get to WDW?

By the way, tdelaney, is the flight you are on being sold at the same price you paid for your original flight? That was what really sent me over the deep end with our flight change...I paid $99.00 and the flight they switched me to was being sold for $49.00. I started my conversation with AirTran as politely as possible, but when they basically told me I was screwed (they didn't come out and say that, but that was what they meant.) I took it up a notch. When I got told to shut up by their cs rep, I, to borrow from Stephen King, went nuclear, and got my refund and booked on another carrier.
We had flown Air Tran for 3 round trip flights to Orlando, and ALL SIX FLIGHTS were changed. One flight was booked on a Sunday to fly out Tuesday. Yep, both flights changed. (on that trip, they pushed our departure from Orlando from 7 pm to 9 pm, but I guess they didn't tell DME, because we were picked up at 4 PM. Sat at the airport with a 5 yo who was upset about leaving WDE as it was.) And they have lost my luggage twice, both times when we were switched from a non-stop to a layover. My husband booked them for this trip, originally, over my objections. He said to me "What are the chances they'll change our flights again?".

efoxx
07-27-2007, 02:24 PM
I called back delta today with their 800 number and the person I talked to said that my flight was OK the way it was the times had change and she told me that the new time of 25 minutes I had between flights was not a problem. She then told me that if I wanted to change flight times I would incurred a $50 penalty and whatever the price adjustment would be.

I made sure 3 times before I hung up that 25 minutes was an OK time to

Wendy;
25 minutes is NOT OK, it is unacceptable, and near impossible.
My qualifications.
Air traffic controller for nearly 25 years
Industry analyst through my union for nearly as long.

now why I say this.
Delays are growing industry wide, the system is nearing saturation, and nearly 3 of five flights are delayed by 10 min. or more. Airlines have been hedging their schedules to help to account for this, and even when a flight is announced and reported as being on time it can be several minutes late. for an on time departure all the airline has to do is shut the door of the plane on time, and it is considered departed. but that doesn't meant that you are going anyplace. Any weather enroute, any flow constraints or initiatives can result in delays. then you are arriving at one of the busiest airports in the world. if the poor overworked controller has to slow or vector your flight for spacing you will be adding more minutes. so your flight gets in and to the gate 7 minutes later then the scheduled time, well the airline says you were on time, but now you only have 18 minutes. but wait the airplane is just now at the gate, the door still has to be opened, and unless you are lucky enough to be sitting in the front row you must wait to get off the plane, which could be another 5 minutes. so now you only have 13 minutes to find the gate, hopefully it isn't in a different terminal, make your way to that gate, and check in. oh but wait, the airlines, and they all do this now, require that you be checked in and on the plane 5 minutes before departure time, this is so that they can legally close the door for an on time departure so your 13 minutes is more like 8 minutes. don't hope to go to the bathroom.
now on to your luggage. IF the people at the departure end of your trip were smart enough to tag your luggage with a special tag to tell the ground crew to load your luggage last as it has a quick change in ATL, and IF the unloaders at ATL are immediately available to begin unloading, and IF they notice the quick transfer ticket, and IF they get it to the QT location, and IF the people loading your new flight check it AFTER loading the rest of the plane your luggage will arrive with you in Orlando. otherwise you will see it some time later.

now if you don't believe me then try and book a flight this way on purpose. no airline will allow this, they will tell you that 45 min-1 hour is the minimum. so why did this ticket agent tell you otherwise? because Delta told her to. they sold you a ticket, and now knowing that you will likely miss your connection they don't really care. chances are very likely you will miss your connection because of some factor they can blame on someone other then them. delay leaving (departure city) weather enroute, ATC delays upon arrival, etc. it's not their fault, and they will get you to Orlando as soon as they can find another seat for you.

and they will NOT offer you a seat on another airline unless it happens to be a code share airline, IE an airline that they are in business with just for this reason. and chances of a code share partner having a flight from ATL to MCO are pretty slim as code shares are used to increase their coverage, not duplicate it. they are not required to by law and they see it as stupid to give up your money to some one else, heck you might like them better.

what you need to do now is contact their resv. people. tell them that you find it unacceptable, and ask to speak to a customer service manager. if they cannot find an acceptable alternative they will most likely offer a refund on the ticket. and they should not charge you a fee as they were the ones who initiated the change in schedule.

Remember 25 minutes is NEVER enough for a change of planes, one single turn in a holding pattern will eat up half that time. or a speed reduction for flow control into ATL where we often see such things can eat up that entire time quickly. and the airline will only hold your flight if your flight is the last of the day for that plane as your hold will back up the rest of the schedule and make other people late. and the airline will be forced to eat those delays.

others can talk to you about rules and history, I work the system every day. I would NEVER do this myself. don't get your trip started off on the wrong foot. you could be delayed by nearly a full day this way.

WDW heart
07-27-2007, 05:05 PM
I had a similar situation. I booked an Airtran flight from Baltimore to Milwaukee mostly because it was non stop and very inexpensive. About a month later, they sent me an email stating that the flight was now changed. Now it was going from Baltimore to Atlanta then Milwaukee with a 2 hour layover. So a two hour flight changed to an 8 hour flight.

To give Airtran some credit, they did offer me either a full refund or an earlier non stop flight.

rentayenta
07-27-2007, 06:09 PM
I just went through this yesterday with Frontier :mad: Not only did they change the times, the bumped me for next day flight.

My options were to take what they had or cancel free of penalty. They did not offer to find me another flight on a different airline.

I ended up cancelling and booking a better flight on SW for about $100 more total.

Good luck :)

Wendy3
07-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Wendy;

Remember 25 minutes is NEVER enough for a change of planes, .

I completely agree with efoxx - you would be nuts to book a flight with such a short layover. I just flew from Denver to Tallahassee with a 30 minute layover in Nashville - stupid to book such a short layover, but it was the only thing that worked for my schedule. Of course, we sat on the runway for a full 15 minutes waiting in line to take off. My stomach was in knots the entire flight to Nashville wondering if I would make my connection, or spend the weekend visiting Graceland waiting for the next open flight. Landed only 20 minutes late, took my shoes off and RAN through the airport to just make my connection (which was also late, lucky for me). Gotta love Northwest Airlines. Not.

efoxx gave you the nuts and bolts behind why it doesn't work. From experience, I'll never try it again. Way too stressful for me.

HarbinsMom
07-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Wendy Bird, if you are changing planes in ATL, I can almost guarantee you 25 minutes is not enough time to change planes, UNLESS the plane from MCO lands at the same terminal the new flight takes off from. ATL has 5 different terminals and it can take a while to get from the gate in one terminal to the gate in another. You have to walk to the train, then take the train to the new terminal, then walk to the gate at that terminal. You would think that Delta, being based in ATL, would know that 25 minutes is not enough time to change planes. That, coupled with hold times over ATL due to weather, etc., I would guess you'd miss your plane.

bradk
07-28-2007, 10:27 AM
from delta's contract of carriage, as i again point out delta's practice, bolding provided by me

Delta will use its best efforts to carry the passenger and baggage with reasonable dispatch. Times shown in timetables or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract. Delta may without notice substitute alternate carriers or aircraft, and may alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket in case of necessity. Schedules are subject to change without notice. Delta is not responsible or liable for making connections, or for failing to operate any flight according to schedule, or for changing the schedule or any flight.

Burnt Toast
07-28-2007, 10:49 AM
I think the big thing is if she even needs to switch planes at all during her 25 minute layover. Sometimes, I've noticed is that you can get a flight that stops off at another airport, but you stay in the same plane to get to your final destination.

Wonder if that's the case here if 25 minutes for the layover was deemed acceptable.