PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Collectibles

smd4
07-03-2002, 08:49 AM
Do any of you folks collect Disneyana? If so, what do you collect?

Since the Disneyland Railroad is my favorite attraction, I collect anything and everything related to the Disney trains. This includes pins, postcards, tickets, posters, souvenirs, and even such hard-to-get items as old conductor hat badges and "Santa Fe & Disneyland" engineer hat patches.

So what Disney collectibles to you seek?

Disney Nick
07-03-2002, 09:01 AM
I collect pins of my favorite Disney attractions past/present, but I don't overdo it. I have about 15 pins and there are only about 2-3 more I want. My more expensive collection is the Print-on-Demand prints from the Disney Gallery. I've bought 2 already (the big size) and I can tell you they are expensive to frame!! I plan on getting about 4 more. In case you haven't noticed I have a thing for the Disneyland attractions. I also though about the die-cast ride vehicles, but I'd only buy them if they took out the Disney characters.

smd4
07-03-2002, 09:23 AM
I agree about the Disney characters. I have the fire engine, and I think it looks great!

Not Afraid
07-03-2002, 10:05 AM
I'm sort of a sick-o when it comes to Disneyana. I collect what can be categorized as mainly Images:Paper or Art. Attraction Posters, Maps, Brochures, Lobby Cards, Postcards, Concept drawings, original art repproductions, books, mostly historical stuff for Disneyland and some of my favorite films. I've also been gathering a collection of "bad" attraction pins (Cosmic Waves, Superstar Limo, Observatron). Once in a while, I'll end up with some Disney toys, like the recent Hasbro Gumball Mickey (Thanks for the gumball, Mickey!).

Unfortunately, I now need a room devoted to collections and my house is not big enough.:(

justagrrl
07-03-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by NMoreles
I also though about the die-cast ride vehicles, but I'd only buy them if they took out the Disney characters.

Good to know I'm not the only one that feels this way. Would you prefer them to be empty? or with some sort of person or character inside...i.e. one of the ghosts in a doom buggy?...or a guest instead of mickey?

Disney Nick
07-03-2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by justagrrl

Good to know I'm not the only one that feels this way. Would you prefer them to be empty? or with some sort of person or character inside...i.e. one of the ghosts in a doom buggy?...or a guest instead of mickey?
Characters themed to the ride would be nice, but not guests. If there aren't any characters they can theme to the ride (which I find hard to believe) then at least leave it empty. I would buy a lot of them in a second if they did this, especially with themed characters.

cstephens
07-03-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by NMoreles
Characters themed to the ride would be nice, but not guests. If there aren't any characters they can theme to the ride (which I find hard to believe) then at least leave it empty. I would buy a lot of them in a second if they did this, especially with themed characters.

The one for Dumbo is empty.

I really like the Matterhorn one. Mickey is dressed in the right clothing, and the abominable snowman is sitting in the back.

Disney Nick
07-03-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
The one for Dumbo is empty.
Ya but I wouldn't buy the Dumbo one ;)

TheMur
07-03-2002, 01:13 PM
I love collecting stuff related to Disneyland itself. I am fascinated by the achitecture and engineering aspects of Disneyland. I have stuff stashed all around the house - drives my wife crazy!

Mur

CEO Andrew
07-03-2002, 01:24 PM
Personally, I love the attraction mini-posters. Although I only have two, I plan on completing my collection as soon as I get some extra cash. Does anybody know how many there are in total? Also . . . are there any "limited" attractions I should be on the lookout for?

The posters look quite good framed, and they spice up any room in the house. :)

Oh . . . and I would TOTALLY buy mini sculpture replicas (as I know we've talked about before) of various DL attractions, especially the DL mountain range (i.e., Splash, Space, Matterhorn, Thunder, etc.).

Pony Sugrue
07-03-2002, 01:43 PM
Yeah, it's a shame that they only made SPACE MTN and THE MATTERHORN that one time as ornaments. I picked up the MATTERHORN, but it was pretty badly sculpted. The SPACE MTN ornament was just god-awful. I didn't even get it.

What's bad is DISNEY probably saw that they didn't sell well and thought "Well, maybe we shouldn't make MATTERHORNS or SPACE MTN's..." but nobody bought them because they were done so terribly... not because no one likes these attractions.

Flubber
07-03-2002, 02:49 PM
I collect Disneyland items. Music, commemorative passports, concept artwork and the mini attraction posters.

Originally posted by CEO Andrew
Personally, I love the attraction mini-posters. Although I only have two, I plan on completing my collection as soon as I get some extra cash. Does anybody know how many there are in total? Also . . . are there any "limited" attractions I should be on the lookout for?
Not sure how many there are Andrew but I think I have almost 30 of these things. :rolleyes: Lately attraction/park blueprints and train stuff have caught my eye.

Flub

Pony Sugrue
07-03-2002, 04:38 PM
When I was in florida, I noticed that they had expanded the WDW attraction posters to include more. They had one for 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea there that I had never seen before; showing the NAUTILUS cruising overhead. It was almost an altered version of the "SUBMARINE VOYAGE" DL poster.

BELLEH5
07-04-2002, 12:25 AM
I collect Disney Barbie Dolls, music, Posters, toys, pins, movies, etc etc etc.... I love any little Disney thing.

Nosaj1178
07-04-2002, 01:15 PM
This is Jason Roanld Thornton from Yorba Linda California I do collect disneyland pins also I have my collection on the pinpics.com website so check out my collection here is my password to see my collection it is Nosaj1178 I might be going back to Disneyland maybe tomorrow or saturday I hope you enjoy seeing my pin collection if anyone has questions of my pin collection please emaill me at Nosaj1178@aol.com and good hunting and good train chasing.

stinkerbell
07-05-2002, 08:46 AM
Ah, my favorite subject. I have 3 huge DL wall maps, and I want more. I have a 1954 Santa Fe and Disneyland RR map. (Year before park opened, I know. Not sure why they made it then, but it's so cool!) A Mad Hatter decal from 1956. Lots of Disneyland magazines from the early 70's. The "Disneyland" National Geographic from August 63 (thanks to Not Afraid's sharp eye). I have a 50th anniv. poster given out in DL in 1973--it's really cool. Has all the main characters on it from 1923 to 1973, including all the changes to Mickey. I see something different each time I look at it. I have about 6 pictorial souvenir books from the 50's and early 60's, and I want more. And a bunch of Day at Disneyland from the 70's and 80's and some into the 90's.

I recently bought a box of Disneyland "papers" that I haven't sorted through, but mostly it's old guides, another Nat. Geo., more Disneyland magazines, DL schedules and more.

I love the paper stuff. You know, basically the junk. ;) I also bought some sheet music to frame (from the 40's). When you Wish Upon a Star and Whistle While You Work.

Gotta love that ebay. I want that castle print and small world litho that Not Afraid has. But I'm patient.......sorta. :)

JPIVERSON
07-05-2002, 10:54 AM
It's good to know I'm not the only one spending WAY too much $$$ on this kind of stuff.

I collect things related to DISNEYLAND. It needs to say DISNEYLAND or be related to a DISNEYLAND attraction.
Pins, die cast, attraction posters, park maps, t-shirts, hats, etc...

I think the characters in the die cast toys are great.... why wouldn't you want to see brear bear riding on splash mountain??

MonorailMan
07-05-2002, 01:33 PM
I am a DCA colectable junkie. I own all of the trraction models, lots of DCA pins, and some Clothing. :)

mikala
07-09-2002, 09:46 PM
Oh Gosh, what a great subject.

I collect everything DISNEYLAND. And to add to it, my primary interests are in pins, wall art (lithos, etc.), snowglobes (up to 54 now, all Disney), all Pooh Beanies, Collector Plates, and of course we can't forget my videos-I am now up to 125 (All Disney Animated and Live Action).

I too spend a whole lot, but would not give it up for anything. Luckily I have a husband who is in full supportm afterall we have AP's now. WOO HOO.

;) :cool:

AliKzam
07-10-2002, 12:21 AM
I have some of those souvineer books on the park (one from the early 80s, one from the early 90s). I have my mouse-ears, a Donald Duck hat (with the squeaky bill) and a floppy hat I got a few years ago with pins of my favorite attractions when they first released pins. I have a soundtrack record from 1980 and several park soundtracks from thereafter. I have two mini-attraction posters and would also like to buy more when I have money to spend on myself. I'd like to see them release the one for the Mark Twain (you can see it on the Disneyland DVD), as it looks like it was printed in the 1800s. Also, it would be nifty if I could get a park map (poster) from the year I was born. I wonder if they'll ever do something like that?
Oh yeah! I found my pin from Thumper's Easter Egg hunt back in...'82? '83? It was in a box, somewhere. It's always neat when you find stuff that still holds value for you.