PDA

View Full Version : Rental Car in WDW?

samkirch
07-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Hello - we're planning our first WDW, and have been investigating rental cars. How does the restort transportation compare to just hopping in your own car and heading out? We've heard about long travel times on the shuttles. what's the "environment" like on the shuttles - is it cramped and miserable, or a comfy ride? Is it more difficult to drive between parks and attractions, dealing with traffic and directions, or is teh resort transportation a good option? I'd love to hear your opinion! Oh yeah, we're staying at the Port Orleans Riverside resort.
Thanks!

GusMan
07-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Welcome to the boards!!
You may want to do a search on the term Rental Car as this is a very common topic.

Do you NEED a rental? No. Can it help in getting around faster? Some say a definite yes. Some give a maybe. In some cases, it depends on when you are going.

In the past we always used Disney Transport even when we had a car. But then again, we always went during off-peak times. It worked out very well and we did not have any problems. This year, we are driving down during a busier time so we plan on using our car some and will have a better comparison.

You may want to provide some specifics regarding when you are going down and who will be in your traveling party. That may be able to help the community provide feedback as well.

Greg in TN
07-24-2007, 12:21 PM
We have driven to Orlando, and flown.

When we've flown, we've taken advantage of the Magical Express for transportation from the airport to Disney property. Not once have we wished we'd had a car.

When we've driven, most of the time we park the car when we get to the resort, then don't even get back in it 'til we're packing up to go home. Only one time have we ever driven anywhere once we get to Disney, even when we've had a car available.

We find Disney transportation to be very convenient & efficient. I know there are some who post on this board that say waiting even 5 mins for a bus ruins their whole vacation. For me, I don't mind waiting 5 or 10 mins, (maybe 15 sometimes, but rarely longer than that) when I know I can just hop on the bus, then when I get off I'm at my destination. Rather than having to deal with traffic/direction/parking/etc hassles myself. I drive enough when I'm at home; when I'm on vacation, I want to avoid as many of those hassels as I can. :D

dawz1026
07-24-2007, 12:25 PM
My dh likes the car,myself and dd love the transport.ds will love transport too he is just too young to know better yet lolol.Dh says he just likes being in his own car and feels its easier HOWEVER our last trip in April he did not mind the buses at all.They are fast and convenient.;)

samkirch
07-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the info! There will be four adults in our group, and we'll be in WDW 10/30 - 11/5... relatively slow time....

wdw82
07-24-2007, 12:57 PM
i have rented a car every time i have stayed on property and would never not rent one. the only time i have ever used Disney transport was the boat from WL to Magic Kingdom and it was full everytime we tried to use it.Sometimes we had to wait for 3 or 4 boats because they were full of Fort Wilderness people and this was during a slower time of year.

jengold29
07-24-2007, 01:42 PM
We always drive (it's only about 2 1/2 hours from my door to the door of POP)and we almost never use our cars once we get to WDW. The only time we do is if we are going from resort to resort, and even then we are more likely to take a taxi than to drive.

anniedg
07-24-2007, 03:17 PM
We always rent a car and use a mix of the car and Disney transportation. In the morning we generally use the Disney transportation, but if we take an afternoon break at the hotel we usually take the car to a park in the evening to avoid the crowded busses and waits at park closing (we also generally travel in summer when it's crowded). We also usually visit another resort to eat, rent boats, etc. and also we always play miniature golf. It's VERY nice to be able to drive if you're doing that sort of thing, because it requires a bus transfer and that takes a lot of time.
In short, a car isn't a necessity, but for us it makes the trip a lot nicer.
BTW parking is free if you're staying onsite.

ILMouseFan
07-24-2007, 03:18 PM
I really like using the Disney transportation. The kids love the monorail (especially when I ask if they can sit up front and get their co-pilot license!) and honestly the buses just really aren't all that bad for us. But usually when we go we'll stay at the Boardwalk or Beach Club. Then we'll walk back from Epcot or MGM, and if we're at MK then we just put up with the crowds and have fun talking about the day or even talking to other people in line waiting or on the buses. There has only been 1 trip when the buses really drove me mad and that was because it just seemed like there were way more for POP Century and none for our resort (which was WL on that trip).

We've also taken vacations to DW and rented a house and therefore had to get a rental car. Honestly, I much prefer the disney transportation. I would still only use the buses or monorail to go between parks during the day.

bellefan
07-25-2007, 08:28 AM
I'm on the side of renting a car, I rent one everytime I visit. We usually stay at a DVC resort, so having a car makes getting to the grocery store easier. Plus we like to take it to some of the parks that have on-site parking. We still take the bus to the Magic Kingdom or at night if we're tired or planning on drinking. Its also nice to be able to get off property to attend mass and hit the outlet shopping!

thetodd
07-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Rent the car...no question.

Granted, the last two times I have been to WDW was Jan 2006 and Sept 2006 (two trips in 9 months from up here in Canada...don't ask) and we stayed off site. So a rental was a must.

BUT, there was ALWAYS someone waiting for a bus in front of the parks and none of them look particularly happy to be there. Standing in lines all day and then waiting for a bus for who knows how long would be somewhat annoying.

You can drive to all parks and park for free, come and go when you please, go offsite for groceries, cheaper eats and you can hop over to IOA and Universal in about 20mins.

Thrifty always had the cheapest rates (approx $120 per week for a compact) and their service was more than fine and extremly fast.