PDA

View Full Version : When do the Christmas decorations go up?

hotheelstc
07-23-2007, 03:20 PM
This will be the first year we get to see the Christmas decorations. Can you tell me how early the usually put them up?

Darkbeer
07-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Friday, November 9th is the official start of the season, when the Christmas Tree will be in Town Square, it's a small world holiday opens, and most of the decorations will be up (they start work around the 1st).

The one thing that won't be offer is the Christmas Parade, its starts on Friday, November 16th. Also, the Wreaths that go over the middle of Main Street won't be up until the 13th or so, as they interfere with the Parade of Dreams.

Most of the Chrsitmas stuff will be offered thru January 6th, and iaswh will be open ever longer

River Belle
07-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Something about July (the heat?) makes me long for Christmas...

My little one & I spent the afternoon watching the "Christmas Fantasy Parade" on You Tube today, and yes--even the video gets me teary-eyed! I love DL 365 days a year, but there's something even more magical about visiting during the holidays. I've marked my calendar--if Christmas at Disneyland begins on July 9th (Thanks, Darkbeer), then that's when it begins at our house, too. I'll be breaking out the Christmas CDs & DVDs and making the hot cocoa with candy canes!:)

Only 107 days to go...:rolleyes:

ssturgeo
07-25-2007, 12:24 PM
And be sure to get a gingerbread man from the Blue Ribbon bakery...yummy!!

RiverBelle...109 days for me!!

hybrid-god
07-25-2007, 01:44 PM
....just checked out the video or videos of the christmas parade! now I'm tempted to go! :~D

River Belle
07-25-2007, 05:17 PM
I've marked my calendar--if Christmas at Disneyland begins on July 9th

Oops--I meant NOVEMBER 9th. :rolleyes:

daveywest
07-26-2007, 10:38 AM
We are considering a Christmas Trip to DL this year. Probally 12/22-12/26. What is the park like Christmas Day?

Darkbeer
07-26-2007, 10:44 AM
We are considering a Christmas Trip to DL this year. Probally 12/22-12/26. What is the park like Christmas Day?

VERY Busy, with a possibilty of hitting capacity (aka Sold Out).

The combination of a lot of tourists/visitors in town, and most other venues closed, and a large amount of SoCals that decide to spend the day at Disneyland have made Disneyland very busy on Christmas for years.

yohomama212
07-26-2007, 11:14 AM
What kind of crowds can we expect November 16th? I'll definately be making a trip that day to get my Christmas jump started!

Elizabeth

Darkbeer
07-26-2007, 11:17 AM
What kind of crowds can we expect November 16th? I'll definately be making a trip that day to get my Christmas jump started!

Elizabeth

Shouldn't be too busy, especially in the day. It is officially the start of Thanksgiving Peak, so be prepared to see the crowds grow in size as the day gets later.

pisces
07-26-2007, 02:04 PM

I'd never seen Main Street as crowded as I did on Christmas Day, especially at 5:00 pm. It was bedlam when they tried to run the parade, and there was absolutely no let-up, even at 8:00 pm, 9, and of course the Fireworks...but then even into 10, and 11...you really couldn't walk anywhere down Main Street. Nobody was going anywhere. Part of that was the after-Christmas sales which they start right on the 25th.

You couldn't move inside Emporium, none of the other shops provided much relief as everyone was scrambling for the sales.

All those little shops that you think nobody ever goes into....I never even knew it was even possible for Emporium to get that crowded....

Darkbeer
07-27-2007, 12:22 PM
I just got word that Disney will not start celebrating Christmas until Friday, November 16th. Of course, nothing official has been announced, but I trust the person who told me.

bug
07-27-2007, 07:13 PM
I just got word that Disney will not start celebrating Christmas until Friday, November 16th. Of course, nothing official has been announced, but I trust the person who told me.

Does that mean that the tree and all of the decorations won't be up until the 16th? What about IASW and other rides that get decorated?

Thanks!

2002 TC eL
07-27-2007, 07:23 PM

Your information makes us happy that our reservations at the Park Place Inn are for November 18-20.

KRA0125
07-27-2007, 08:02 PM
Yikes! We were planning on going to the park on 11/13-11/15 but if there is no christmas celebrating untill the 16th?!?!? Oh man, are we going to miss the good stuff? :confused: There is a possibility that we can change our date to go the week AFTER Thanksgiving, how busy do you guys think that week will be?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks all!

bug
07-28-2007, 07:22 AM
And does anyone know how Disney decides these things? I would think that the date would be relatively the same every year (such as the first weekend in November). I find it a bit annoying that Disney can't decide on what is going on more than a few months into the future. If I waited until the official calendar came out to book my trip, I wouldn't be able to stay where I wanted and I definitely wouldn't get the same good rates!

pisces
07-28-2007, 11:17 AM
And does anyone know how Disney decides these things? I would think that the date would be relatively the same every year (such as the first weekend in November). I find it a bit annoying that Disney can't decide on what is going on more than a few months into the future. If I waited until the official calendar came out to book my trip, I wouldn't be able to stay where I wanted and I definitely wouldn't get the same good rates!

They're getting a little bit better, though. They've already got that new 'Believe' fireworks planned out (with the icicles). So, at least they've been thinking about Holidays, somewhat, in advance.

I imagine they'll be doing a lot of testing way before the offical opening on that one.

The main Christmas tree usually peaks out from it's hiding place around late October.

The main problem is the Candlelight Procession, and yes, on that you usually have less than a month to go, and they still haven't announced the Speaker, the date, how to register etc.. nevermind the nightmare when registration finally does open....with less than a month to decide....

disneyjunkie
07-29-2007, 11:18 PM
I love Christmas at DL! I am so torn this year if we should go for the holidays, we usually spend by B'day November 30th there of go for Haloween since I would love to see the park at Halloween. Once we did spend Christmas eve and had the dinner at the grand ballroom at the DLH , it was great! We actually left Christmas day since I have heard that it is traditional in SoCal to open the presents under the tree and then head to DL! The most wonderful thing was shopping at the Hotel ( back in the day of the store by the original monarail station) all the Christmas goodies were 1/2 off I was in heaven! The other advantage to going 11/30 is usually we hook it onto the following weekend and do the Candlelight dinner / processional/reading. The other monkey wrench in the whole decision making process is that I have an opportunity to stay at the Hilton Anaheim either 12/11-12/15 or 12/23-12-26 for a family and friends rate of 60.00 per night,I am having a hard time making plans this year, or there is always September just after Labor day when the crowds go home.......erg .... when should I go??? Just keep in mind that there is nothing in the world as magical at the park during the holidays...but I love Halloween... but Sept is so close....and my dd and I have almost just hopped in the car with the babies on the past 3 fridays and driven from nocal with no reservations .Help,guidance please.

tinker3
07-30-2007, 01:44 PM

Oh Darkbeer say it isn't so :crying:! We always go the first week of Nov. Last year we were there on Nov. 1st and they were already starting to put up decos. Does this mean NOTHING until the 16th? I love coming to the park each day and seeing a little more put up. I am really bummed out if this is true (which I am sure it is) :(.