PDA

View Full Version : In the park, do you confront rowdy kids?

Pages : [1] 2

oohykitten
07-20-2007, 10:43 AM
I had an experience last week with three young boys about 4-7 rough housing to the point I got a shoe to the face...my husband said I should have not said something to the kids. Then later we were spit on as we ate at Redd Rockets, that time I said nothing.

What do you do when something like that happens?

kranders
07-20-2007, 10:56 AM
If it is directly impacting me, like a "foot in the face" or running into me or my family I will definately say something to them or their parents. You have to to keep yourself safe. If that doesn't change the situation I would look for the nearest Cast Member and tell them about the problem. I've never had to do that since usually a stern "hey, watch it" or "calm down, please" will take care of it.
Just curious but what did your husband think could happen with you saying something? It seems like Disney is pretty adamant about keeping the peace and would/should step in if things get out of hand.

dawnid
07-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Were the parents around? I would have said something, if the parents are there I'd speak to them first. If no parental unit then I'd let em have it.

I ignore the first two or three toe steps or bumps but ya get a bop in the face and that's it. Spitting I'd take a picture and call security. You should expect some jostling when coming to a crowded park but there are limits.

oohykitten
07-20-2007, 11:30 AM
With the spitting he asked "and what do you really expect them to do?" I had no answer...the shoe in the face I went over to the kids and the mother and asked them to say I am sorry not only to me but to their mom, that it takes a lot of effort to do to Disneyland and she needs to be respected not embarrassed. I wasn't angry and I got down on their level. He felt I shouldn't speak to someone else's children like that. He is right I guess, but I didn't know how to handle it. The mom hugged me and said thank you and they needed to be smacked around...so I think she wasn't mad. :)

Infinitely
07-20-2007, 11:36 AM
I would think one would get kicked out of the park for spitting, that is gross. Of course, it might end up being your word against theirs.

adriennek
07-20-2007, 11:49 AM
As a parent, I expect my children to behave. If they don't and someone calls them on it, I'm going to be embarrassed but I'm not going to be mad at the person who called them on it - I'll be upset with my kids!

It sounds to me like you handled it beautifully by how you approached the mom. You know, every kid, even good kids, have their moments. It's really hard as a parent to feel like "Shoot, my kids are being twerps and now people are looking at ME." If someone came up to me and held my kids accountable and maintained all of our dignity like you did, I'd be very grateful, too. I am not surprised the mom hugged you, LOL. You also modeled respect to the children by respecting their mother - and by respecting them enough to approach them. The message you sent to them was: I think you're capable of better than this - not writing them off as heathens.

Adrienne

Leofoenget
07-20-2007, 12:09 PM
I had an experience last week with three young boys about 4-7 rough housing to the point I got a shoe to the face...my husband said I should have not said something to the kids. Then later we were spit on as we ate at Redd Rockets, that time I said nothing.

What do you do when something like that happens?

Oh I totally would have barked at them "HEY WATCH IT! KNOCK IT OFF" and it probably would have been out of habit (I have 2 boys) Sure say something if parents say anything then that's their problem.

oohykitten
07-20-2007, 12:36 PM
I am not a fan these days of "blame the parents" she didn't do anything wrong and I never wanted it to see that way. Thanks for the comments makes me feel better, because yes a week later and still have the situation running though my head.

mistofviolets
07-20-2007, 02:01 PM
I tend to respond immediately, if it seems no one else is stepping in.

Usually something like "We need to find a different game now," or in that case "Hey, lets keep the shoes on the ground" or something along those lines. I'm used to responding to my kids and their friends...and if I get a dirty look I can say to the parent giving me the look "Oh, I'm sorry, automatic response." and laugh it off. I do that anywhere, Disney would be no different.

I rarely step in unless it is physically dangerous, or they are right in my vicinity. Kids who are just having trouble bottling their excitement I smile at and introduce to my kids or just tell them how much trouble I'm having being patient, too.

disneyperson
07-20-2007, 02:39 PM
For the rough housing I would have said something friendly but firm. I would probably have said something long before the foot ever made it to the face.

For the spitting. Someone actually passed you and deliberately spit into your food?:eek:I would have spoken up loudly and immediately and gotten a CM involved. That sort of thing deserves to met with nothing less than expulsion from the park.

If the adult in charge of an unruly child does nothing or if there's no adult in charge at all, I have no problem at all with confronting the child directly.

MermaidHair
07-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Ooheykitten: "she didn't do anything wrong..." How about raising two bratty kids with no respect or consideration? Seems like something wrong to me.

This sounds way harsh to me. As a mom of spirited kids I try hard to corral and teach them but sometimes their rowdiness comes out in not the most appropriate places. I do dicipline them at those times but I know if someone else said something to them like oohykitten did they would respond better than if they heard me say "don't do that" once again! Good job oohykitten.

kiki
07-20-2007, 06:13 PM
I stayed at the DLH july 9-13th and there was this little girl at the pool who would not wait her turn on the kiddie water slide. she kept cutting the line and if there was a child on the slide, she would push them down so she could ride. She even pushed a boy off the ladder so she could get out the pool. There were a few parents of other children there, but her parents were nowhere to be found. After a few of her go-a-rounds, I finally told her to wait her turn and find her mother. And to top it off, the girl was maybe 4 yrs old.

adriennek
07-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Ooheykitten: "she didn't do anything wrong..." How about raising two bratty kids with no respect or consideration? Seems like something wrong to me.

So, based on your sn, when you were a 5-y/o boy, you never goofed off, you always behaved and your parents never had to discipline you?

I've met a lot of 5-y/o little boys. I've met a lot of well behaved 5-y/o boys. I've never yet met a perfect one. ;)

After a few of her go-a-rounds, I finally told her to wait her turn and find her mother. And to top it off, the girl was maybe 4 yrs old.

Good for you. A few weeks ago at the Chik-Fil-A play area, there was a little girl who wasn't even 4 yet, and she was being mean and nasty. I just looked at her and told her a thing or two. She stopped. ;)

Adrienne

Suzie Minnie
07-20-2007, 06:57 PM
WOW! Only 4, I am glad you did something about it.

I stayed at the DLH july 9-13th and there was this little girl at the pool who would not wait her turn on the kiddie water slide. she kept cutting the line and if there was a child on the slide, she would push them down so she could ride. She even pushed a boy off the ladder so she could get out the pool. There were a few parents of other children there, but her parents were nowhere to be found. After a few of her go-a-rounds, I finally told her to wait her turn and find her mother. And to top it off, the girl was maybe 4 yrs old.

darph nader
07-20-2007, 07:06 PM
You should have asked the little 'angels' in a well spoken voice,"Did your Mom/Dad/Parents teach you that??,They must be VERY PROUD".
Hopefully embarrass the living heck out of them.(doubt it,but it's worth a try):|

oohykitten
07-20-2007, 07:36 PM
Perhaps it was the mom, but as a mom that has three boys with her I know it's tough to keep an eye on them. I am one of those parents that rides her kids ALL THE TIME! When my kids act like that I really feel they need to be just as accountable. the spitting on the food, the kids were on the over hang going to Space Mt...trust me if I had seen a face I would have been more loud about what happened. I am just greatful the kid hit me, not my 10 month old next to me in his stroller (that 600 stroller pays for it's self in the Land) After having one child die, I am a million times for nervous when people are near my son.

dizzygrl
07-20-2007, 10:53 PM
we were at DL for a week in May and the thing we noticed was all the teenagers/18-20 year olds that seemed to take over tomorrowland at night and they were pretty rowdy and ill mannered. We thought that the band that was playing did NOT reflect the Disney spirit or style. They were a grunge type band and the kids crowding the park for the 3 day memorial weekend in the evenings did not give me a "magical" feel. I believe that Disney should consider carefully the types of entertainment they book because that will reflect who will come to the park. I wasn't happy, any thoughts on this...

Suzie Minnie
07-21-2007, 11:56 AM
WOW, I cannot imagine having kids spit in my food. I would have done something for sure.

W didn't see any rowdy kids, although we did see many kids crying. It reminded me of my frist trip to Disneyland, I was 4 1/2 years old. Before going, my Dad made the huge mistake of telling me that he would buy me a Mickey Mouse plush doll since it was our 1st visit. In his mind, he would buy it on the way out. In my mind, I would get it the moment I saw it. I remember running into a store, grabbing a Mickey and crying till he bought it b/c I wouldn't let go. He spent the entire day carrying it around Disneyland.

We went to Disneyland every year when I was a child, he refused to let me enter the stores for the next 12 years (at least). I guess carrying a stuffed Mickey around and dealing with crying traumatized him for good.

On our last visit, we loved seeing all the little girls in their princess costumes. Very cute! If I had a little girl, I would dress her up for sure. Or even dress a boy in a pirate outfit.

Malcon10t
07-21-2007, 01:50 PM
This last trip, we had a small incident on Sunday. We had gotten on HM, MDM and the dog in the front car and my younger daughter and I in the next cart. The cart behind us had 2 teen boys, probably 14 and 16. The 16yo was laughing this weird laugh from the start. Then as we started thru the first hall, he reaches over and grabs the bar to my cart and shakes it laughing. I just shook my head, then he does the weird laugh and says "Did I SCARE you?" I just ignored him, but MDM noticed from her cart and yells across the carts "Hey, turn around, face forward, and shut up!" Not surprisingly, they did. The funnier part came when it was time to exit. We have the dog, so we have to ride around. I expected the boys to walk past us and say something nasty, but instead, they walk past and will not even look at us! Good thing. HM makes MDM tense enough as it is, don't need mouthy teens making it worse. (BT/DT once before.)

MiaTurner
07-21-2007, 02:06 PM
I think it's important for parents to establish guidelines before taking their children into the park. My three-year old cousin refuses to spend the day with anyone but me when we're in the park, so I take her off and let the parents relax around the park for awhile.

Every morning when we're waiting in line I remind her that we're not in our house right now, we're in Mickey's house, and Mickey's going to be very sad if he sees you acting out, and then we'll have to leave the park because we don't want Mickey to be sad ;) It IS Disneyland, a little running, laughing, and outdoor voices (outside of shops of course) are okay, anything that doesn't bother the people around you.

Of course, she IS only three, and she's a perfectly well-behaved angel until she gets sleepy, then she just cries. Toddlers are going to cry and possibly whine when they get a little tired or hungry. I don't think that's anything a parent should be embaressed over. I would think a parent should be embaressed about kids throwing things at guests and spitting. I know every kid has acted out in some way or another, but my parents made it clear from the first time we stepped into public that that behavior is NOT acceptable. There's gotta be a line between "kids will be kids", and simply unnacceptable behavior in which kids should know better.

Suzie Minnie
07-21-2007, 08:42 PM
I know what you mean. As a child, I recall those same loud bands in tomorrowland. I recall my Dad making some comment about awful teen music. It was tradition to ride space mountain at night so I always noticed those bands. Thy had them at least 10 - 15 years ago.

One thing I did notice about this trip was teens kissing everywhere. Highly annoying. However, I can't be too judgemental b/c I did that at one time too.

we were at DL for a week in May and the thing we noticed was all the teenagers/18-20 year olds that seemed to take over tomorrowland at night and they were pretty rowdy and ill mannered. We thought that the band that was playing did NOT reflect the Disney spirit or style. They were a grunge type band and the kids crowding the park for the 3 day memorial weekend in the evenings did not give me a "magical" feel. I believe that Disney should consider carefully the types of entertainment they book because that will reflect who will come to the park. I wasn't happy, any thoughts on this...

CookieBandit
07-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Thankfully we have not had to deal with rowdy kids on our last few trips. When we were on PoTC yesterday, the teenage girls in the two rows in front of us were awfully chatting and horsing around (e.g. pushing each other around). They kept screaming even though it was only the beginning of the ride and nothing to scream at. I thought about saying something (maybe something like "can you guys stop screaming?" but I didn't... as the ride went along, they were pretty quiet for the rest of the way.

oohykitten - I think you handled the situation in a great way. I wouldn't have been that polite (though I would have to muster enough courage to say something first!). I think the attitude that "they are just kids" is why some kids never learn to behave properly - they think it's acceptable to behave in a certain manner because no one ever calls them on it.

My mom always said that she would want other parents to tell her if I was misbehaving... and that (her possibly finding out) was a great deterrent from me behaving badly. Not just her, but the possibility of getting lectured by any adult...

We can't blame parents completely for their kids' poor behavior, but if another guest confronts them (the kids) - the way in which the parent(s) respond says a lot. If the parent acts the least bit contrite or apologetic, then I think most of us wouldn't make a big deal out of it. But if the parent is like "so, what?", then that would make you even angrier (and would just enforce the child's behavior).

Reminds me of something I saw on 20/20 or Primetime or Dateline - where they set up these experiments to see if patrons at restaurants would say anything about noisy kids. Surprisingly, I think the only person to confront the kids was another kid (a girl about 9 years old?). The other patrons either didn't say anything (except to each other), asked the "parent" to control the kid (which, btw, was an actor pretending to be busy on the phone) or asked the manager to do something. And the person who had the most effect on the noisy "children" (who were actors as well) was the 9 year old girl.

gibson510
07-22-2007, 09:51 PM
When something like that happens to me or someone I know, I usually tend to get in their face about it. Although I do make an effort to stay calm, I just hate stuff like that. Im the guy in the movie theater that yells 'shut up!' when rude people are talking or messing around. So I guess it depends on what type of personality you have.

karebear
07-23-2007, 09:03 AM
I don't mind kids being excited at DL. I do hate it though when they are pushing each other in lines and therefore running into other people. I have tarsal tunnel syndrome and it is difficult to maintain my balance sometimes. I ususally get knocked over by these kids (I think they seek me out). Thankfully my husband acts like a human barrier and just lets the kids bounce off him (they ususally take a small tumble, nothing that hurts them, but it is their own momentum that sends them down).

One time in line for Splash Mountain, some kids were running into us a lot. We looked at the parents with a "are you going to do anything look?" They just looked at us for a second as if it was our fault and went back to talking. Those are the parents I don't appreciate. You need to teach your child manners.

When I was little, and even to this day (I am 23), I would not do things that would disappoint my parents. My mom used to repremand us to discipline, but my dad would tell us that he was disappointed in our choices. Having a parent be disappointed in you hurts way more than someone yelling at you and just tuning them out.

neverlander
07-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Like everyone else here, I am sorry to hear about the spitting incident. I feel really bad for anyone who is spat upon, for that is disgusting and degrading. It sounds like it would have been impossible to hold that person accountable.
With the kids in line, it sounds like the situation was handled with tact. You probably felt out the situation and followed your instincts.
I spend a lot of time with different children, and I have no problem addressing them when I or my children are feeling violated. However, I have witnessed too many disturbing scenes to assume that parents will handle and discipline their children in what I think is an appropriate manner. I know I would feel terrible to solicit a violent (physical or verbal) reaction from a parent. I don't know how many times I have heard and seen parents at DL smack their kids as they're barking, "Keep your hands to yourself!"
I really don't want to start anything controversial here, but I think it's important to recognize that we need to be careful when confronting potentially abusive families where the kids may be at risk.
Once again, it didn't sound like this was the case here. I'm just trying to point out an awareness issue.