PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland hotel reservations for November 2007

balasl
07-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had any information about a convention or ??? during the November 3rd through 7th 2007 time frame. I called today to make a reservation at any of the Disney Hotels and nothing is available. I questioned the nice lady about whether maybe the rooms had just not been released yet but she stated that everything was booked (maybe for a convention). Any thoughts?

Thanks.

AcuraTL
07-19-2007, 06:23 PM
You know what, my son's friend's family wanted to book at the Disney Resorts hotels around the same time and nothing is available. I just thought it was right before the Veteran's Day holiday but why would the week before all the Holiday decorations are going to go up be crowded?

hofmanns4
07-19-2007, 07:00 PM
We had originally wanted to to go Nov. 3-10. I started checking the website in February and that week was already not available for any of the 3 Disney hotels for that week. I called and they said they are not sure why it is so busy. I continued to check almost daily until July and finally booked the week after.

rmarino74
07-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had any information about a convention or ??? during the November 3rd through 7th 2007 time frame. I called today to make a reservation at any of the Disney Hotels and nothing is available. I questioned the nice lady about whether maybe the rooms had just not been released yet but she stated that everything was booked (maybe for a convention). Any thoughts?

Thanks.

The Disney's NCAA Division II Tip-Off Classic is during that timeframe and a couple of smaller conventions as well. I found it on the Anaheim Convention Center website.

dsny1mom
07-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Besides the convention possibility, you also have to contend with people who make ressies for DLR hotels and a second cheaper hotel, hoping AP rates will come out before their stay. Ressies can be changed or cancelled up to 72 hours before arrival date without any charge.

Rooms can be (and are) reserved and then dumped at the last minute. If DLR hotels would require a non-refundable deposit this foolishness would end.

I hope you get the room you want! Just keep trying!

dsny1mom

adriennek
07-20-2007, 07:22 PM
If DLR hotels would require a non-refundable deposit this foolishness would end.

Does any hotel require a non-refundable deposit anymore? I would expect there to be a huge backlash against them if they did. They're not the only game in town, neither for conventions nor for tourism. I know there a lot of people who will only stay at the DL resorts, but I can't imagine there'd be enough to justify a decision like that?

I also wonder how many rooms they keep aside. My husband is on a business trip right now. When they called to make his reservation, the hotel said they were booked up. When they told the hotel "Well this person is doing such and such business..." suddenly they had a room available.

A few years ago, we attended a convention in Anaheim. Our first choice hotel was booked solid up until the day of the convention, so we made a reservation at our second choice hotel. When we went to check in to our hotel, they were overbooked, so they offered to move us to another hotel, at the same room rate, with the first night at that hotel comp'd. Guess where? Our first choice, all "booked up" hotel!!

Conventions put holds on blocks of rooms, with the hotel's cooperation, and then release the unused rooms right before the convention. That's a perk the hotel offers as an incentive to bring conventions to their hotels.

The guests aren't the only ones playing games in this scenario. If the DLR wanted to make it harder for guests to book rooms, they could. They don't want to.

Adrienne

dsny1mom
07-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Does any hotel require a non-refundable deposit anymore? I would expect there to be a huge backlash against them if they did. They're not the only game in town, neither for conventions nor for tourism. I know there a lot of people who will only stay at the DL resorts, but I can't imagine there'd be enough to justify a decision like that?

I also wonder how many rooms they keep aside. My husband is on a business trip right now. When they called to make his reservation, the hotel said they were booked up. When they told the hotel "Well this person is doing such and such business..." suddenly they had a room available.

A few years ago, we attended a convention in Anaheim. Our first choice hotel was booked solid up until the day of the convention, so we made a reservation at our second choice hotel. When we went to check in to our hotel, they were overbooked, so they offered to move us to another hotel, at the same room rate, with the first night at that hotel comp'd. Guess where? Our first choice, all "booked up" hotel!!

Conventions put holds on blocks of rooms, with the hotel's cooperation, and then release the unused rooms right before the convention. That's a perk the hotel offers as an incentive to bring conventions to their hotels.

The guests aren't the only ones playing games in this scenario. If the DLR wanted to make it harder for guests to book rooms, they could. They don't want to.

Adrienne

At DLH, there are a handfull of rooms held back by the hotel for last minute big wigs/celebs. When I say a handfull, I mean less than double digits. They don't hold back for conventions.

And I agree if DLH wanted to they could require a deposit. Don't they do that at WDW now? I could have sworn a few years back there was a big commotion about deposits being required. My niece and her family are staing at the at WL right now, I'll have to ask her when they get back.

People sometimes have to cancel and I have no problem with that. Where I have the problem is when people reserve only to try and get a lower rate and then bail at the 72 hour point for another room at another hotel/motel when the AP rates don't come out. I'd think even a refundable deposit would curb that.

dsny1mom

adriennek
07-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Where I have the problem is when people reserve only to try and get a lower rate and then bail at the 72 hour point for another room at another hotel/motel when the AP rates don't come out. I'd think even a refundable deposit would curb that.

Well right now, the 72-hour-window is already above the standard 48-hour window that the other Anaheim area hotels have.

I'd think that if Disney had a problem with people booking rooms hoping that they could get an AP rate later, an easy solution would be to not honor AP rates on previous reservations, before having to require a nonrefundable deposit.

Adrienne

Crazy4DL
07-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Where I have the problem is when people reserve only to try and get a lower rate and then bail at the 72 hour point for another room at another hotel/motel when the AP rates don't come out.

I guess I don't understand why that bothers you so much? Aren't we ALL trying to get the best deal out there?

dsny1mom
07-20-2007, 08:40 PM
I guess I don't understand why that bothers you so much? Aren't we ALL trying to get the best deal out there?

Let me explain...... Let's say I make ressies for the same 5 days at DLH and HOJO. At the 72 hour mark when no AP rates come out I cancel the DLH ressie and stay at HOJOs.

At the same time you wanted to stay at the DLH for the same 5 days I have already reserved and the hotel is otherwise sold out.

You can't wait to make your ressies until 72 hours before you arrive as you can't take the chance of not having a room. So you end up staying at another hotel when you would have gladly paid the asking rate if you had been able to get a ressie.

So I basically prevented you from staying at the DLH because I had no intention of staying there unless I got AP rates.

Hey, people can do whatever they like. I just think it's inconsiderate to reserve a room that one has no intentions of actually using at the quoted price.

Deposits wouldn't even be necessary. All they'd have to do is make AP rates non transferable to existing ressies. That would do the trick!

dsny1mom

Crazy4DL
07-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Deposits wouldn't even be necessary. All they'd have to do is make AP rates non transferable to existing ressies. That would do the trick!

dsny1mom

Yes, I got that when Adriennek said it.

I understand the process . . .I don't understand why it bothers you so much. You could just book waaaay early and pay the full asking price and there you go - no one keeps you from your room.

Obviously, it is better business for the DLH to do it the way they do it, ie allow the transfer to AP rates, because otherwise I am quite certain they would do it differently.

TikiTiki
07-20-2007, 09:36 PM
I prefer to make a couple reservations WAY in advance. For me that's usually at least 6 months or more.

Now, as the time approaches, usually near the two month mark that we are planning on being in the parks, I check my rates once more and solidify the times we can go for sure and make the final arrangements and plans to make the trip HAPPEN.

When I know the dates for sure, when I know that all parties can make it, when I know that I have all the things I want to do planned out to the nines, then I cancel one or MORE of the reservations and make my final plans and pay for them all up front!

I make sure I give darn near everyone else out there wanting to stay on property a chance at those rooms I was holding up! I know I for one would be THRILLED if something came up even at the 72 hour mark before my trip if I hadn't been able to make reservations prior to that time! As Adrienne said, 72 hours is pretty good considering the standard 48 hours out there.

I happen to give up one of my reservations about 2 months early. I think that's pretty fair and I'm not stealing a room out from under anyone!

Yes, I'm an over planner but I usually get it just the way I want it and then I have a peaceful easy trip! Over planners unite! Haha!

foolishmortal
07-20-2007, 11:05 PM
We got a room at the PP for nov. 5-10th by calling the hotel itself and we had no problem getting a room upper level park view. By the way I did this before ap rates and I called back on the discount and was not given the new rate. So as far a holding anything as an ap It does you no good as it was not honered for those dates. I am with you I just asked if there were big conventions going on and no one new anything or were not saying. Just glad we got our favorite hotel and room view!!:D All of the aaa, DTC and those sites had nothing. When makeing a reservation and the hotel lines say they are booked up always call the hotel direct line most times you can get a room that way. At least it has worked for us the last four times we have stayed at the dl hotels. Hope this helps out don't know if will but good luck!

rmarino74
07-21-2007, 06:34 AM
They don't hold back for conventions.
dsny1mom

I do not know from where you obtained this information, although according to Disneyland Reservations, this is not true. I have attempted to book a room when the resort was sold out just in the past couple of months and the reservation agent told me that the convention and marketing department block out a portion of the rooms for conventions. If they have not sold all of the rooms, they usually release the rooms back to be available to the Disneyland Reservations system.

adriennek
07-21-2007, 08:09 AM
I have attempted to book a room when the resort was sold out just in the past couple of months and the reservation agent told me that the convention and marketing department block out a portion of the rooms for conventions. If they have not sold all of the rooms, they usually release the rooms back to be available to the Disneyland Reservations system.

Yep. This is standard for convention hotels and the DLH has a convention center and regularly hosts conferences. It works two ways. On the one hand it gives the conferences incentive to host their conferences at the hotels - DLH guarantees that they'll set aside a number of rooms so that the tourists don't book them out, and they usually offer a slightly discounted rate. On the other hand, the conference guarantees that a certain number of those rooms will be filled by conference attendees which offsets the cost of renting the facilities from the hotel for the conference (rooms, AV equipment, meals, etc.)

My most recent (unfortunate) stay at the DLH was in a blocked conference room.

Adrienne

balasl
07-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks much for the information :)