PDA

View Full Version : how will they promote dca concerts?

sydney
07-02-2002, 02:39 AM
don't the DCA "rockin' the bay" concerts start like *next week* or something? Has anyone heard a single peep about them being pushed or promoted? have they booked all the dates even? My brother (a huge Fab Four fan from their bookings at Club Buzz) has just told me the fab four web page shows that they are playing on the "rockin' the bay stage" at DCA later this summer. They weren't on the origional posted lists, right? strange. I just wonder why they're not promoting at all except a couple inch long press releases for the local paper and whatever online-buzz they've managed to generate for people like us. just doesn't seem like they're reaching an audience that would be affected. correct me if i'm wrong...

Cadaverous Pallor
07-02-2002, 12:49 PM
You're right, sydney, they aren't promoting this a whole lot. In my experience with theme park entertainment, even largish acts usually don't advertise all that much. They rely on the word of mouth of "true fans" (those that keep tabs on their band's doings) to get enough people to show up. And usually, since ticket prices for theme parks aren't too bad compared to concert prices, they get a huge showing anyway.

Besides, the lineup they have is not exactly modern.....The Turtles, Herman's Hermits, Starship.....I have nothing against these bands, but I think that anyone who would really be interested in seeing them will hear about it one way or another. Don't worry, DCA will be crowded.

I would love to see Three Dog Night and America, but I'll be busy getting married and going on my honeymoon then.

blusilva
07-02-2002, 09:49 PM
The fans know. And even some folks who aren't. In fact, a "non fan" friend just emailed me about Davy Jones & Micky Dolenz. So, word's out.
(Yes, I just outed myself as a Monkees fan.)

sydney
07-03-2002, 01:39 AM
you're right, of course. I was counting on something to come from Disney... but I can see how it is much more meaninful if the push comes from the fans of the bands in question. It may not be a bad choice for them then... even if they don't have that large of a turnout, they may justify the perhaps thousand or two increase in entrances to the park that can then be pointed to in proof that "attendance is looking up". (I don't know why i'm feeling a bit cynical tonight ;) ) Anyway, thanks for the insight as usual.

RStar
07-03-2002, 08:33 AM
I figured they would do a page add in the news paper the way they did the soap stars event. But nothing thus far. I just checked todays show section in the Register. Still nothing. Perhaps they are trying to nail down the schedule first.

Cadaverous Pallor
07-03-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by RStar
Perhaps they are trying to nail down the schedule first.
The schedule seems to be set - you can see it at disneyland.com.

RStar
07-03-2002, 09:16 AM
Cool, thanks. Last I saw they still had some TBT. But does the lack of advertising indicate a bit of fluidity in the schedule? Are they a bit nervous about it perhaps?

potatoJAY
07-03-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
I would love to see Three Dog Night and America, but I'll be busy getting married and going on my honeymoon then.

hey...congratulations!

cstephens
07-05-2002, 11:02 PM
There's a full page ad on the back page of the Calendar section of Friday's Los Angeles Times that lists the musical acts that will be performing. When we were at the resort on Thursday, there were also a few large signs listing the acts. They were probably waiting until the full line-up had been finalized before launching the publicity.

Hyperboy
07-05-2002, 11:14 PM
I'm so mad I'm going to be in New York when the Village People are gonna rock DCA! It'll be the best time till Gay Day in October! :D

Not Afraid
07-05-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Hyperboy
I'm so mad I'm going to be in New York when the Village People are gonna rock DCA! It'll be the best time till Gay Day in October! :D

I have to admit that I am really looking forward to this concert. I'm sorry you can't be there.:( I just hope they do the San Francisco?Hollywood medly. That takes me back to pre-punk days. Now that's nostalgia!