PDA

View Full Version : What did the Dream Team give away?

ShelbyH
07-18-2007, 08:12 PM
I work at Build-A-Bear in Downtown Disney and the Dream Team came into our store and grabbed a family of ours to award them something. The family was very excited (mom, dad, and I think 4 children--it was hard to tell). The Dream Team was there en masse--3 security guys, 1 motion camerman, 2 still cameramen, 1 sound guy, 3 or 4 Dream Team CMs, and so forth--obviously something big. Much to our agony, they took the family back into the park to announce and give them their prize. Everyone at BABW is dying to know what they won! The DT wouldn't even fess up to our managers, even after the award was given. Is there any way to find out what these lucky folks won or am I and my co-workers going to have to wonder forever?

This happened today, at around 3:30--4:00 or so (I can't remember the exact time, but I was off at 5:15 and it was well before that). Thanks! :D

AVP
07-18-2007, 08:14 PM
Sounds like the Mickey Mouse Penthouse.

AVP

ShelbyH
07-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Oooh--cool! How did you know? Is there a list somewhere?

DangerMouse
07-18-2007, 08:33 PM
My guess would be that it was something bigger than "family of the day" with the penthouse prize. I have read detailed trip reports from those who have won the penthouse, and it never included the entourage mentioned by the OP (motion cameras and sound guys, etc.).

I'll be excited to hear if Darkbeer or any of the other park regulars got the inside scoop.

ShelbyH
07-18-2007, 09:00 PM
My guess would be that it was something bigger than "family of the day" with the penthouse prize. I have read detailed trip reports from those who have won the penthouse, and it never included the entourage mentioned by the OP (motion cameras and sound guys, etc.).

I'll be excited to hear if Darkbeer or any of the other park regulars got the inside scoop.

Yes, there was definitely an entourage. I was not there when the family was initially chosen (or whatever). I was on a break and came downstairs to the cameraman (motion) and 2 still camera guys in the doorway and said, "Hey, what are you filming?" (in a friendly manner, of course :p). One of the guys was like, "Uhhhhh" and then I followed his gaze over to the floor (of the store) where a family was surrounded by several (I would say a good 4 or 5) CMs. There were two that I saw with DT vests (which is when I put 2 and 2 together), one guy in a shirt and tie who seemed to be running the thing, and at least 1 security guy. The family went outside, sans the mom who came to our registers and paid for their bears, and then followed them. Outside I got to be the spy, hoping they would give us an inkling of a clue out there (no such luck). The guy in the shirt and tie was clearly briefing them on how the announcement was going to go down, saying things like, "So there will be a lot of people around you, and first you'll act shocked, then surprised and delighted, then ecstatic, and a whole range of emotion." He then had them practice some excited reactions, getting them to scream and stuff. I don't think he was doing so much artificial coaching as he was building the tension and excitement for when they did get the big announcement. And then they left! Gah!

I'm very curious, too, about how they were selected. We are an Operating Participant, not a Disney-owned store, and I've never seen the DT come into our store before. We have plenty of guests who aren't Disney guests. This family had clearly come from the parks, but they had already been through our store long enough so that they were just finishing picking out clothes for their animals (I'd say a good 20 minutes), and they were sipping on Jamba Juice cups, so they'd hit Jamba Juice and then us before they were notified that they'd won something. They must have been followed from the parks, but for how long?

Oh, the mystery! I hope someone knows!

disneyfan4ever54
07-18-2007, 09:20 PM
I believe the Penthouse prize is given out early in the day, so I doubt that this was it since it was given out so late in the afternoon. I am curious to find out too.:)

AVP
07-18-2007, 09:22 PM
I've been told that the Penthouse is usually given during the day, but if the person who is first approached is not elligible, there are "back up" locations to try again the same day.

I have been told that the camera crew does film some of the Penthouse awards, but it may have been something else.

AVP

Malcon10t
07-18-2007, 10:45 PM
They awarded a DVC membership. 47 (or was it 43) years of vacations. I wasn't in the right place at the right time....

ShelbyH
07-18-2007, 11:35 PM
They awarded a DVC membership. 47 (or was it 43) years of vacations. I wasn't in the right place at the right time....
Wow, awesome! I just realized it's the Dream Squad and not the Dream Team. My apologies, Disney :p

samkj
07-19-2007, 06:26 AM

WOW!!! I can't even imagine how wonderful that would be!!

PanFan
07-19-2007, 07:22 AM
I was working Toad unload yesterday around 10:00 and two Dream Squad CM's came in and scoped out the area, then told me they'd be there for a few more minutes. They wouldn't tell me what they were giving away, except that it was something good. The first car that pulled up at 9:53 had a guy and a girl in it and they pulled them aside and awarded their prize outside the attraction. I don't know what it was (not hats, lanyards, or FP), but my guess is the Mickey Mouse Penthouse. I was off at 5:30, so I didn't see the Grand Marshall and don't know for sure, but that's my guess.

AVP
07-19-2007, 07:24 AM
Toad seems to be a popular place for them to award that prize - I saw them do it there about two weeks ago.

We won't even discuss the time I was less than 5 feet away from being in the right place at the right time to win the penthouse....

AVP

Malcon10t
07-19-2007, 07:37 AM
I was working Toad unload yesterday around 10:00 and two Dream Squad CM's came in and scoped out the area, then told me they'd be there for a few more minutes. We keep trying to find you! If you see us, say hi!

PanFan
07-20-2007, 12:21 AM
We keep trying to find you! If you see us, say hi!

Sorry you keep missing me :( Yesterday I had two guide dogs with trainers riding on Pan and asked if it was you, but it wasn't. Today I was at the Matterhorn. I thought I might have seen you boarding the train at Main Street around 1:30, but was in a hurry to change into my costume and get to work so I didn't go over there. I was at the Matterhorn all afternoon/evening today, then tomorrow I'm off (that's your last day, isn't it?). I'm sad I missed you this time around. Let me know when you come again and I'll tell you where to find me :)

ladodgerjon
07-20-2007, 03:11 PM
(snip) "...Gah!"

I LOVE this!

Is the sound a person makes -- like a last gasp -- when their heart suddenly stops beating?!?

I gotta know!

;-)

PanFan
07-20-2007, 11:06 PM
It sounds like something Eliza Doolittle says in "Why Can't the English Teach their Children How to Speak" from My Fair Lady.

crasher11
07-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Our family won the Micky Penthouse on May 26, 2007 after exiting Snow Whites Scary Adventure. We just had 2 Dream Members that approched us and then took us back to the guided tours building to let us know what we had won. It was around 9:30 in the morning when we were picked.
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/crasher11/?action=view&current=BackstageaftertheGrandMarshalDrive.jpg

disneyperson
07-21-2007, 04:38 PM
I thought the winners had to be in one of the parks . It's odd to me that a big prize was awarded to someone inside a store in DTD. Very cool prize though. Good for them.

Malcon10t
07-21-2007, 05:19 PM
I thought the winners had to be in one of the parks . It's odd to me that a big prize was awarded to someone inside a store in DTD. Very cool prize though. Good for them.
Actually, they can be anywhere in the DL Resort. BAB is in DL Resort.