PDA

View Full Version : How People Fall off the Trams...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tinkermommy
07-18-2007, 09:51 AM
I've always wondered how people could manage to fall off the trams leaving Disneyland. I think I know!

We left last night around 11:30. There was, of course, a good-sized line for the tram and we had to wait for a bit. No biggie; it was a pretty mellow crowd.

When we finally boarded one, my daughter and I were the first into our row. I was on the edge; she was next to me. Before long, a teenaged boy sat next to her, and scooted over so far that he shoved her into me. He wore an enormous hat, so I couldn't easily see what was going on in our row, but when I leaned forward I discovered they'd squeezed five more adults into the row (which is supposed to hold only five total). The row in front of us had eight adults squeezed into it, some sitting on top of others.

I thought we'd get some relief when a CM came by and looked at the pile of people. She seemed to consider it for a moment, then she walked away and the tram took off. I ended up hanging on for dear life, and when we got off, my daughter showed me lines on her legs from where the seams on the boy's pants were pressed into her skin.

I felt like such an idiot for not protesting, but I honestly thought the CM would make them get off. I know it was a long day for them, and I suspect she just wanted us all to go home, but once we got off at the parking structure, I was mad. Every time we went around a turn, I thought somebody was going to fly out.

The next time I read about somebody falling off, I know what picture I'm going to have in MY head! :eek:

atrder9901
07-18-2007, 10:39 AM
I can totally picture this! I loath those trams so much I cannot even put it into words. My biggest peeve is when you are first in your line for the next tram, and then people from OTHER lines run over into your row and take your seats. When we went in December, we almost always had 7 plus in our row and never had a CM say anything.

Our hatred of the tram has inspired us to book at a walking distance hotel this time around so we wont have to deal with the bloody trams! :mad:

Katlovett
07-18-2007, 12:16 PM
I thought we'd get some relief when a CM came by and looked at the pile of people. She seemed to consider it for a moment, then she walked away and the tram took off. I ended up hanging on for dear life, and when we got off, my daughter showed me lines on her legs from where the seams on the boy's pants were pressed into her skin.

I felt like such an idiot for not protesting, but I honestly thought the CM would make them get off. I know it was a long day for them, and I suspect she just wanted us all to go home, but once we got off at the parking structure, I was mad. Every time we went around a turn, I thought somebody was going to fly out.

That is why there are lawsuits when people fall off trams (Disneyland or anyone else's.) A "common carrier" must use "the utmost care and diligence for their safe carriage, must provide everything necessary for that purpose, and must exercise to that end a reasonable degree of skill." (California Civil Code section 2100.) Also they "must not overcrowd or overload [their] vehicle." (California Civil Code section 2102.) If someone is hurt because the common carrier did not use "utmost care and diligence" and/or overcrowded or overloaded the vehicle, then the common carrier is liable.

Maybe the tram CMs should use more "utmost care and diligence" to protect guest safety and not overcrowd/overload trams, although of course it takes much less effort to simply ignore overcrowding hazards - with the added benefit that those pesky guests are out from underfoot faster. :(

Katprint

adriennek
07-18-2007, 04:27 PM
I can totally picture this! I loath those trams so much I cannot even put it into words. My biggest peeve is when you are first in your line for the next tram, and then people from OTHER lines run over into your row and take your seats. When we went in December, we almost always had 7 plus in our row and never had a CM say anything.

And when you have a stroller, it's 10x worse.

Our hatred of the tram has inspired us to book at a walking distance hotel this time around so we wont have to deal with the bloody trams! :mad:

I won't take them in crowds. We usually walk back to the parking garage at night and often do so if it's crowded in the morning, too. It's not that far and it's worth not dealing with the crowd issue.

Adrienne

MiaTurner
07-18-2007, 05:40 PM
In the morning when I'm taking the tram INTO the park, overcrowding doesn't happen to us too often, so that's not usually a problem for me. My big problem with the trams comes at closing when everyone wants to get on at the same time. It also doesn't help that I just spent sixteen hours in Disneyland and am considerably grumpier and in need of sleep ;) That's when the shovers, cutters, and squishers start to make me lose it.

bloodnswash
07-19-2007, 09:02 AM
We absolutely hate the trams. We used them for the first and last time about a year and a half ago for a 3 night trip in February. The rudeness (both directions) was absolutely unbelievable! We will walk before we ever use the tram again.

SJF510
07-19-2007, 11:44 AM
My Favorite are the hateful looks that my family gets from guests with non-folded up strollers when we have the audacity to be in the handicapped section of the tram with my son is his wheelchair. I mean my goodness, how dare we, they don't want to or can't fold up their stroller.

Once while we were waiting for the other rows to load, I heard a woman loudly complaining how "that kid in the handicapped row looks okay to me!". I suggested to my husband that I could push back my son's hair to show her his brain surgery scar. He talked me out of it. That's why we now take the handicapped van whenever possible, not as much fun, but much easier on the psyche.

Niwel
07-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Part of it is the trams are WAY understaffed (I mean they have those darn gates on every attraction -- including small world -- and they have the area in front of a very large moving object wide open); part of it is that the DL loading area is at an angle rather than flat (like near Mickey and Friends); part of it is that the person on the tram speaker needs to enunciate and speak up; and part of it is that some guests at the end of night have no brain cells or common sense.

adriennek
07-19-2007, 12:39 PM
My Favorite are the hateful looks that my family gets from guests with non-folded up strollers when we have the audacity to be in the handicapped section of the tram with my son is his wheelchair. I mean my goodness, how dare we, they don't want to or can't fold up their stroller.

Once while we were waiting for the other rows to load, I heard a woman loudly complaining how "that kid in the handicapped row looks okay to me!". I suggested to my husband that I could push back my son's hair to show her his brain surgery scar. He talked me out of it. That's why we now take the handicapped van whenever possible, not as much fun, but much easier on the psyche.

I actually dislike using that car because of the fumes from the engine but there are, of course, times we 'have' to.

If you think it's bad having just the wheelchair - when we're with our Ohana, we've had a wheelchair and our double stroller. Yes. We stuck her in the wheelchair just so we could cut in front of the line with the double stroller and keep you from getting on this tram. :rolleyes: I don't mind the glares from the people in line, but then, I'm a brat. "You do realize that this is a wheelchair accessible platform that they LET you use when it's not otherwise needed, not a stroller platform that we're stealing from you, right?"

We actually like the van better than the tram. But part of that could be because the van drivers let my boys "ride" the wheelchair lift when they're putting Brandy on the van. :D The only problem is having to wait for the van.

Adrienne

Koala Gurl
07-19-2007, 09:19 PM
This is why we walk. I can handle the extra 10 minutes of walking to avoid that garbage.

The worst is when we have been waiting in line, and I see them load a tram from the rear spot. Fine if they use both areas for loading, but have a CM out there evening out the lines.

Suzie Minnie
07-19-2007, 10:59 PM
I just ignore others, their looks and comments don't bother me. I was in a wheelchair this time at Disney. A few comments were made toward me b/c I don't look like I need a chair. One CM even gave us an "evil eye" b/c we got right on a ride w/o waiting. It was for the teacups and there was literally a 2 minute wait during that time. Why would anyone think we faked it to pass a 2 minute wait? Everytime we passed her, the look worsened. Her issue, not mine. I know the truth, they do not so why should their comments bother me?

When getting on the trams, I have noticed that people go toward the front and back sections of each car. I always head for the middle and always get a seat. When people try to squeeze in and there is no room, I do not move over. If it is full, then it is full. They end up getting off since there is no room. I am not going to fall off of a tram so one more person can squeeze on the tram. Just don't move over (unless there is room of course) and ignore comments. Who cares what they think, you will never see them again.

When I worked with kids, they would be upset over some untrue comment some other kid said. I would ask, if I told you that your pink hair was ugly would you be upset? Their response, I don't have pink hair (while looking at me funny). Then why are you upset over that kid's untrue comment?

PanFan
07-20-2007, 12:11 AM
I just ignore others, their looks and comments don't bother me. I was in a wheelchair this time at Disney. A few comments were made toward me b/c I don't look like I need a chair. One CM even gave us an "evil eye" b/c we got right on a ride w/o waiting. It was for the teacups and there was literally a 2 minute wait during that time. Why would anyone think we faked it to pass a 2 minute wait? Everytime we passed her, the look worsened. Her issue, not mine. I know the truth, they do not so why should their comments bother me?

As a CM who works at the Tea Cups, I'm curious if the "evil eye" was actually given because you looked like you didn't need a wheelchair. We are specifically trained not to question why a chair is required. While it's absolutely possible that the CM was disregarding their training, is it also possible that this was not the reason behind their actions? Perhaps you came through the special assistance entrance and took a cup without speaking with them first (one of my pet peeves)? Maybe they were just having a bad day and were glaring at everybody (I do know a few like that :rolleyes:). I wasn't there and obviously don't know the details of the situation, but unless something was said in evidence of your theory, I wouldn't assume that they were glaring at you because they didn't think you needed a wheelchair.

Malcon10t
07-20-2007, 07:36 AM
Perhaps you came through the special assistance entrance and took a cup without speaking with them first (one of my pet peeves)? I see that all too often. We usually wait til the CM comes over and tells us what to do. But especially on POTC, we see people just walk up and enter without addressing the CM. They usually get called back.

My pet peeve this trip is Tomorrowland. They are training so many new people, and they have no idea what they are supposed to do with us. We have ridden Nemo 3 times, and all three times, they have handled us differently. Space Mountain, the HA grouper actually asked us how the dog rides (uh, she doesn't??) Autopia, they called a lead as they were unsure where the dog went (we knew..)

Well, its off to the park in a few. Get a few last rides in before we head for home.

Suzie Minnie
07-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Panfan,

That is true, we did get on without speaking to the CM. However, we waited at the exit for several ride thrus with another family that had a little girl in a wheelchair. It would have been shorter to go thru the main gate b/c there was virtually no line. Everyone was getting on w/o talking to the CM b/c the CM wasn't talking to anybody, except thru the microphone. She didn't leave her booth at all. As for why she gave the "evil eye" who knows? I could only assume why.

Susan

PanFan
07-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Ah, you got one of those CM's :rolleyes: I can probably narrow it down to a couple! We're supposed to check the exit ramp area for special assistance guests whenever we do our walk around safety check. Did you try calling out to her when she was walking around? Sometimes I don't see people waiting or I think they're just taking pictures and most of the time they are quick to let me know they're there. Sorry you had to deal with that. Unfortunately there are a (thankfully small) number of CM's who are in it only for the paycheck and seem to have forgotten about the superior service we are to provide to each and every guest. It makes me sad, but also encourages me to do an even better job to make up for any encounters like you had so everyone I come in contact with can walk away from DL with a positive memory that hopefully places the negative experiences they may have had back in the shadows.

Suzie Minnie
07-20-2007, 06:22 PM
She didn't do safety checks even. When I said she spent the entire time in that little building talking to people from the microphone, I meant it. Thank goodness there are people who work there like you. I realize that not everyone is like that, so oh well for her.

Ah, you got one of those CM's :rolleyes: I can probably narrow it down to a couple! We're supposed to check the exit ramp area for special assistance guests whenever we do our walk around safety check. Did you try calling out to her when she was walking around?

Crazy4DL
07-20-2007, 08:11 PM
. It makes me sad, but also encourages me to do an even better job to make up for any encounters like you had so everyone I come in contact with can walk away from DL with a positive memory that hopefully places the negative experiences they may have had back in the shadows.

WOW! Good for you! You and other CMs (which frankly I have found most to be wonderful) make the magic happen. Thank you for doing such a wonderful job. :)

Suzie Minnie
07-20-2007, 08:17 PM
99% of the CMs in the park were amazing. I refuse to let a few "bad apples" ruin the magic for me. Thank goodness for the wonderful CMs that help bring the magic to everyone.

TikiTiki
07-20-2007, 10:11 PM
PanFan .. You sound like one of the CM's I would rave about and tell everyone how wonderful our day was at DL!

Hope to meet you one day in the DLR!

As for the tram issue..

I know I could potentially fall off simply by whacking my dang head on the roof and knocking myself out cold.. whoosh.. there goes the tram with my family on it and me in the parking lot!

I swear it's gonna happen one day!

RStar
07-20-2007, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't assume that they were glaring at you because they didn't think you needed a wheelchair.While wheelchairs have been abused at DL for "Front of the line" access, I would hope that most people would understand that they cannot diagnose a person's illness at a glance. Not everyone who needs a wheel chair has a noticable sign (like a cast or missing/ deformed limb).

I actually dislike using that car because of the fumes from the engine but there are, of course, times we 'have' to.

Yes, but it is also nice on cold rainy days when the plexyglass guard and warm engine keep you warm and dry. Just don't breath deep! ;)

PanFan
07-20-2007, 10:57 PM
She didn't do safety checks even. When I said she spent the entire time in that little building talking to people from the microphone, I meant it.

Wow! That is a major issue that should be brought up either to a lead or as a guest concern at City Hall. If you happened to catch her name or remember the day and approximate time, you should file something with Disney. You can do it from the website (Contact Us). That is absolutely unacceptable and she should at the very least be written up for that. How did people get in? Did she even get up to open the gates? Please don't tell me she left them open :eek: Disney doesn't need CM's like that.

adriennek
07-21-2007, 08:19 AM
While wheelchairs have been abused at DL for "Front of the line" access, I would hope that most people would understand that they cannot diagnose a person's illness at a glance. Not everyone who needs a wheel chair has a noticable sign (like a cast or missing/ deformed limb).

In this case, it sounds like the CM had all sorts of issues... but... this brings to mind something that people don't like to say out loud (and this is NOT referring to ANYONE on these boards or on this thread and is NOT a passive aggressive comment, I swear it. :) )

Just because a person is in a wheelchair, doesn't make that person nice. :eek: Sometimes, just like people who don't have problems walking, people in wheelchairs aren't nice people or have unpleasant moments or entitlement issues.

Adrienne
Who regularly visits DLR with people who use wheelchairs, ECV's and use GACs

PanFan
07-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Just because a person is in a wheelchair, doesn't make that person nice. :eek: Sometimes, just like people who don't have problems walking, people in wheelchairs aren't nice people or have unpleasant moments or entitlement issues.

Oh, believe me--I know!

But I have found the majority of them are quite friendly and understanding when I can't immediately get them on a ride.

Malcon10t
07-21-2007, 10:11 AM

Adrienne
Who regularly visits DLR with people who use wheelchairs, ECV's and use GACsYou are very correct. I see people like this all the time. At Space Mountain, there was a lady who came up with a boy in a chair and wanted to board NOW. She told the young lady handling the HA queue "But we have a wheelchair, and he can't wait." The grouper told her "They all have wheelchairs. We are putting everyone thru as quickly as we can." Now we did encounter a rude CM at Buzz. On Buzz they have always taken us in Fastpass lane. The CM glared at us when we approached and said "Use the standby" (no please, etc...) I said "I think the dog isn't supposed to do switchbacks" and she looks at me and says "Use the standby", so the kids get in the regular line, and I ask for her lead. She was so flipping rude. Lead comes out and I explain first the issue, then how rude the CM was, and he says "Yes, use the FP line", and apologized for her. So I go get MDM and gang, only now MDM is ticked off (don't get her ticked) and refuses to leave the line and says "She wanted us in the regular line, we are staying here!" We get to the front, go thru the HA door, and they load us, but when we come back thru to unload, they let us ride again. All the other CMs we encountered were great!

Malcon10t
07-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Oh, believe me--I know!

But I have found the majority of them are quite friendly and understanding when I can't immediately get them on a ride.I have NO PROBLEM being told "It will be 20 mins" or "We need to cycle a few thru so it may be a while". Especially, when accompanied by a smile. I have no problem waiting. I just don't like it when the CM is rude. Luckily, those are few and far between.