PDA

View Full Version : Have you been to Club 33?

Chadsgal
07-17-2007, 08:22 PM
I was reading my Mouse Tales book & it was discribing Club 33 & I was wondering how many padders have been lucky enough to actually eatten there?

Was the food good?

Did you feel spoiled by the wait staff?

Details please!

adriennek
07-17-2007, 09:45 PM
I was reading my Mouse Tales book & it was discribing Club 33 & I was wondering how many padders have been lucky enough to actually eatten there?

Was the food good?

Did you feel spoiled by the wait staff?

Details please!

1- I've eaten there three times - once for brunch, twice for dinner. I've only ever sat in the trophy room.

2- It was ok. It wasn't the best most amazing meal I've ever had. The reasons I go are always social. I go because the people I'm going with want to go. I have enjoyed other people enjoying the experience. I don't have a big desire or need to go again - I'm sure I'll have opportunities. The last time I went it was sort of a 'gift' partially paid for by someone else. I'd have to have a good reason to pay for it out of my personal pocket in the future.

3- The third time we went, we had a server who shared history of the club with us and gave us at tour of the club. I don't remember ever being on a "tour" before so that was nice. Our hosts the third time purchased a small gift for everyone at our meal - a nice Club 33 pen - so as far as feeling "spoiled," I was spoiled by my host, not the club. One time the server brought us extra of the freebie pens with our check.

I can say that I've never really felt rushed to leave the Club. (But I can say that about other restaurants, too.)

The appeal of the Club for me is the exclusivity of it and the elusiveness of club access. The food is ok and the service is ok - I can't really say either are outstanding or rare.

Adrienne

tunaman68
07-17-2007, 09:53 PM
I was lucky enough to get taken there by my wife for our 5th anniversary (which also happens to be my birthday).

The service was great, the prices were high, and the food was just good.

For me, the best thing was simply the experience of being in Club 33. I've been a Disney geek my whole life, and had passed that door so many times. To finally be allowed inside was really the best surprise ever.

It was strange to be sitting there in shorts and a t shirt while we were being waited on by a guy in a tux and white gloves, but most of the other people there were dressed casually as well.

I recall the wine was good, the mickey shaped ravioli appetizer, and the chocolate dessert were the stand outs of the meal. We were seating in the main dining room and were by a window that looked out across New Orleans Square onto the river.

I don't know if I'd pony up the $$$ to join the club if the main purpose was to eat there, but for a special night out, it was truly one of a kind.

If you get to go, have fun!!!

dawnid
07-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Hubby & I went for Sunday brunch during our 25th Anniversary weekend with our two kids. The food and service were great but not any more so than any other upscale restaurant. I think I got the biggest kick out of the ladies room and the elevator. I agree with tunaman68, having been I'm not sure I'd pony up for membership but its nice to have a friend of a friend to make a reservation.

cstephens
07-18-2007, 12:41 AM

I had a snack and a tour there on one occasion, and then I had a breakfast there. Here's my write-up with lots of pictures of the breakfast. (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlr/club33013005.html)

Abigail's Uncle
07-18-2007, 06:22 AM
We've eaten there for brunch and dinner several times. Our best experience was the Sunday brunch with my niece which constituted her first time ever at Disneyland. Mickey and Pluto came to our table and just showered her with attention. She was overwhelmed and just plain giddy, and it was a pretty wonderful way to introduce her not just to the restaurant but to Disneyland in general.

The food is certainly better than any other restaurant in the parks, although it's true that you're mainly there for the atmosphere and the experience. Usually when I go, I take a couple minutes to go out on the balcony and just take in how very surreal it feels to be above the French Quarter area.

dsnyredhead
07-18-2007, 08:31 AM
I've been there twice.

Mr.Abominable
07-18-2007, 09:36 AM
I have been there for brunch once. I thought the food was good and the service was very good. We did not feel rushed at all, in fact, we were there for over three hours! This time frame included a detailed tour by the General Manager, a purchase of one of everything in the display case and the consumption of three bottles of wine! :D

Tinkermommy
07-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Once for lunch; once for dinner -- both times for my little girl's birthday. Both times were awesome -- everything we dreamed it would be.

The first time we went, the wait staff encouraged us to linger. When our party (4) was the only one remaining, they took my daughter on a little "tour" and encouraged her to take all the pictures she wanted. They made her feel SO special!

The second time was memorable because more of my family came, but also because I ended up buying a picture (print? litho? I have no idea what it's called) of Walt having breakfast near a window inside Club 33. While we were admiring it at the table, we realized the setting in the picture -- table, window, paintings on the wall -- were right next to our table, and his table was empty. The wait staff helped us fix the table so it looked like the one in his picture, and we posed my daughter (a future Imagineer) just like he was sitting and took pictures of her. That was very cool.

My ONLY regret is that on both visits, the club was out of the Club 33 ears. Ah, maybe someday!

MermaidHair
07-18-2007, 10:10 AM
I went when I was 11. Now, granted, I was not as fanatical about Disneyland at the time but I did not think it was such a big deal. My dad was excited to get access to a place where he could get a drink (I think he ordered one just because he could), my sister played the harpsichord they have up there and I remember thinking when can we get back on the rides!

Today, I am not that intrigued by it, perhaps because I have been there. I would not take my kids, however, because I think the experience would be lost on them at this time. Surprisingly enough, DH is very intrigued by it, mostly because of the exclusivity of it all.

snappy
07-18-2007, 10:21 AM
I've only eaten there once. Going to Club 33 is one of those things you do just once and then you're satisfied! That's my 2 cents..

Chadsgal
07-18-2007, 11:40 AM
I am so glad so many have had the opportunity to go there. I too just want to go for the experiance & would love to go just once.

snappy- I think that is all a need but they I could say I've been there.

What is the dress code like. Are most people dressed up or just in there casual park clothes?

Doodle Duck
07-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Yep. Was a comp from Disney Studios for a star studded tribute show I created and produced in Tahoe at Caesars for my friend Clarance Nash. That was my thank you gift from the Diz company which included passes to the park. 1981 I beleive. The whole family (4) was invited and we were treated like Roayaly at every turn.
Unforgettable.

OH...we were in shorts and flip flops and sneakers etc. They say come as your so you can enjoy the park.

Andrew
07-18-2007, 03:46 PM
2x brunch, 1x dinner. Loved it, but it's the kind of extravagance you don't want to over-do, even if you have the opportunity. I don't think I'd want to do it more than once a year.

munchkinsmom0003
07-18-2007, 04:06 PM
We've been lucky to eat there once for brunch and three times for dinner, always in the main dining room. Each experience was a delight. The food was great and the wait staff very attentive.

Maus
07-18-2007, 06:24 PM
I've been there several times, mostly in the 1980s when my DH was a VP at a major SoCal bank and they had a membership. I think only once or twice since then. Probably because it's been so long, I have a hankering to go back. Haven't found the right connection yet, but I have a lead I'm working on.

I love the atmosphere and I remember the food being quite good but then it's been awhile. The service was always outstanding.

crazydad123
07-18-2007, 07:30 PM
I was fortunate enough to be a guest there in 2003. The occasion was a thank you dinner for the National School Boards Foundation, and our host was most gracious. He provided a delightful variety of wines from his own stock to accompany each course. The food was very good, and quite well presented, as I remember.
The walk back out of the park, after it had closed (I think it was a Wednesday night) was very special, and a very memorable evening.

(Haven't counted the days, yet, but October 17-21 my sweetie and I will be at Disneyland!):cool:

Spazz
07-18-2007, 10:13 PM
I've been there on two different occasions - both times for dinner. The first time was for my birthday last August - I turned 33 at Club 33! The other time was this past March. They do enforce a dress code now - skirt or slacks for women and collared shirt for men. No jeans or shorts. We were given a brochure about the dress code when we picked up our tickets.

I enjoyed both visits there and we purposely made our reservations at 8 p.m. so we could view Fantasmic! from the balcony. The only problem with that is there are trees in the way of the ROA - not the best view. You can see the fireworks pretty well from the balcony. Going to Club 33 is an experience you will never forget. I had the Filet Mignon both times and I thought it was excellent. The cheesecake for desert was wonderful. If you like wine, they have a great wine list.

bloodnswash
07-19-2007, 06:36 AM
We have eaten at Club 33 twice. Both times were for lunch. Our first time there we actually felt that our waitress was very inattentive. We cut her a little bit of slack, though, considering it was Thanksgiving weekend (2005) and the place was jumping like crazy. But we were a little disappointed with her. After all, it's Club 33. The other helpers were exceptionally friendly. They even had us laughing a few times.

Our second visit was wonderful! The waiter was great! And the place was empty. We were there in March 2006 to celebrate our son's 16th birthday. What a great place to do it. Mickey and Pluto spent quite a bit of time with us for this special occasion.

We enjoyed both meals at Club 33. They were very yummy! :)

KDR
07-19-2007, 08:12 AM
What is the dress code like. Are most people dressed up or just in there casual park clothes?

we were in shorts and flip flops and sneakers etc. They say come as your so you can enjoy the park.

The Club has always had a dress code, but it hasn't always been enforced. That's changing. People have been turned away at the door for not conforming to the dress code.

For lunch, no beachwear (this includes flip-flops), no short shorts (regular shorts are okay), no tank tops.

For dinner, no beachwear, no tank tops, no shorts at all (long pants required for men -- jeans are okay as long as they are not torn or excessively faded), and men must wear a collared shirt (a polo-style shirt at minimum).

I think there may have been some recent mention of pants not being sow low as to expose underwear, but I may have read that about something else.

avalosn
07-19-2007, 08:19 AM
I have been there multiple times, it's alright. The first time I went, I was expecting more due to the hype. The food was fine, better than most places in Disneyland, but not the greatest ever. It was decorated really cute and it's nice because it gets you away from the sweaty crowds at DL.....but I think I was a little let down because I was expecting more....I think everyone should go at least once if they get the opportunity though, at least to see it for themselves....

KDR
07-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Oh, and yeah, I have had breakfast, lunch, and dinner at Club 33.

bloodnswash
07-19-2007, 08:46 AM
I also wanted to add that we just LOVED going out on the balcony on both visits for pictures and to see the view. That was really nice.

ssturgeo
07-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Got to have lunch there last November...experience of a lifetime for me!! And, it was all paid for, which made it even more of a treat! The meal was delicious, the Kurts Black Forest Martini out of this world, the Merlot like velvet...but better even than the food and drink was the time spent out on the balcony, the view...and time spent looking at all the memorabilia inside...riding the French lift...shopping from the antique case (Club 33 shirt, Club 33 watch.) Our server gave us printed histories of the Club, after a detailed explanation and tour. Souvineer pens, and a pair of Club 33 Mouse ears!!

We never felt rushed...were there close to three hours. My niece had her two small boys with her (three and one...who are VERY well behaved I might add!) and they received the same courteous attention that we did!

Honestly, I was so awestruck when we were first inside I found it hard to even THINK about eating!