PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon (never been there)

bittyx2
07-17-2007, 12:59 PM
We are going to WDW for our first time in August (our first vacation in 10 years), and I am wondering if I should take a day and go to one of the Disney Water Parks. Which one is better, Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach? Are there any specials or discounts on tickets to the water parks?

fletch1027
07-17-2007, 06:27 PM
I have been to each of the water parks (typhoon last week), and here is how I break them down:

Blizzard: more volume of slides, and more wide open spaces, signature slide is the big drop from the top of the ski jump :-)

Typhoon: less slides than Blizzard, but more "thrill" slides like the three water coasters and the wave pool featuring the 6 foot waves; also seems shadier with more trees

It was worth it for us by paying $25-$30 more for the "water parks and more" add on to our hoppers since it also enables trips to PI and DQ. I do not feel like it is worth the water parks to buy a stand alone ticket. They are definitely 1/2 day parks unless you veg by the pool for a good bit.

Also if you go, take advantage of the early magic hour if you are on-site. We rode the water coasters about 5-6 times in about 30 minutes... :-)

WDW heart
07-17-2007, 06:44 PM
I think it depends on the ages of the people going. Typhoon Lagoon has a really incredible area for smaller children.

D2000lands
07-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Personally, I liked TL better. I have had neck problems from years ago, so long slides are not the best thing for my neck.

But, the wave pool, lazy river, and water coasters at TL are perfect for me.

TL is definitely my preferred water park at WDW. :)

But again, that's only my 2 cents. I'm sure there will be others that disagree with me, and some that will agree. :D

petesimac
07-17-2007, 08:07 PM
I really didn't like either of them. They both are really poorly set up -- hard to find the way to the rides, especially in Typhoon Lagoon (and especially when one can't wear one's glasses on slides) -- but, if I had to choose, I'd choose Typhoon Lagoon. Even though Blizzard Beach has more slides, it also has more and longer lines. I arrived about a half-hour early to both parks and at TL, I was able to ride all the slides before the general population had set out their blankets and started to ride the slides; at BB, we waited about 20 minutes to ride Summit Plummit, 1/2 hour before the park opened, and then waited no less than 30 minutes on every ride except the lazy river from that point on. I don't mind waiting 30 minutes to ride an attraction at the park, but for a slide that is over in less than 10 seconds, forget it.

TL is quieter, has less lines, as I mentioned, and in my opinion has a more pleasing theme, and it's fun to swim with the sharks, cold, but fun; plus, the wave pool is so much nicer than the wading pool at BB -- my kids spent most of their time in the wave pool; I can still hear the "whoosh" that comes just before the huge wave destroys everything in it's path.

tjrj
07-18-2007, 06:37 AM
If possible, I'd say you should experience both-each have a slightly different vibe. And I agree-it depends on the ages of your party. I liked the theme of TL a more; the kiddie area is better set up(via appearances because I don't have little ones anymore); the wave pool and coasters got high marks from my teens-Shark experience too.

However, Summit Plummet at BB was the highlight of the entire vacation for my oldest; my youngest took one look at it-gave his brother a "are you kidding?" look and went back down. And the Beach Boys singing a Christmas carol was a hoot!

I loved the bobbing pool at TL and the lazy river at both.

By all means, if you're staying onsite, take advantage of the EMH. We got all the biggies done with minimal waits-and were ready to head out between noon and 1pm.

Cheshire Figment
07-18-2007, 06:44 AM
If you decide to go to both, get the WPF&M option on your tickets. This will allow between three (1, 2, or 3 day) and six (7 to 10 day) entries to the water parks, Disney Quest, Pleasure Island multi club and WWS for less than the cost of two water park entries. Otherwise it is less expensive to purchase a sngle entry ticket.

cocoabeach
07-18-2007, 06:55 AM
For us Blizz beach is the best: the toddler area in Typhoon is better but the variety of slides and the better lazy river and family raft ride make Blizzard the winner. The powered slides at Typhoon were a nice addition but not enough to balance them.

Details:
I disagree witht he statement that Typhoon has more "action". It has the three new "powered" slides but the rest of the slides are weak, some painfully so. The family raft slide is just terrible at Typhoon with the longest lines and the shortest ride.

Also, for really small kids there is a better kiddie area in Typhoon but for kids that are any larger than tots, Blizzard has way more attractions of interest. The lazy river for example at Blizzard is soooo much better (and longer), the Blizz family raft is adventuresome but still fun even for the smallest kids (our toddler went on it). Then there are the one person and two person rafts slides which are great.

DisneylandForever
07-18-2007, 06:58 AM
IMHO, Typhoon Lagoon is way better. Shark Reef alone is worth it. The Summit Plummet (at BB) hurt my back - lol. The Crush N Gusher (at TL) is awesome. The wave pool at TL is way better. The theming at BB reminds me of a pee-wee golf course. We still had fun at BB, don't get me wrong. But I'd pick TL over it 7 days a week and twice on Tuesday.

hersheythecat
07-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Both are good... agree with others - depends on the age of who is going.

anniedg
07-19-2007, 05:06 PM
IMHO the slides are much better overall at BB, the wave pool is better at TL (although if you have little ones be warned that the waves are strong at TL and can knock you off your feet!). We also get a kick out of snorkeling at Shark Reef at TL and BB has nothing like it or like Crush N Gusher.

I really love both parks and if you get the water parks and more option (which costs about the same as a one day entrance to one of the water parks) you could sample both of them if your trip is long enough. We generally take two days of the trip to spend a half day including lunch at a water park, head back to the hotel for a bit, and then hit one of the theme parks. If you're big on swimming and spending time in the water I definitely think it's worth it.

Pirate Girl
07-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Typhoon Lagoon is much better than Blizzard. Shark Reef is the bomb, and just for the record... no we don't pull the sharks teeth.

rentayenta
07-21-2007, 02:23 PM
IMHO, Typhoon Lagoon is way better. Shark Reef alone is worth it. The Summit Plummet (at BB) hurt my back - lol. The Crush N Gusher (at TL) is awesome. The wave pool at TL is way better. The theming at BB reminds me of a pee-wee golf course. We still had fun at BB, don't get me wrong. But I'd pick TL over it 7 days a week and twice on Tuesday.

Maybe we should plan a trip to visit TL together? :fez:

Having never been to either, I would choose TL. It looks like a lot of fun on the DVD.

Disney Lifeguard
07-22-2007, 04:41 AM
FWIW Blizzard usually closes for capacity long before Typhoon...

Blizzard is just down the road from my work site and has closed for capacity almost everyday and sometimes before noon.

So get to Blizzard early

Typhoon is great too

splash
07-22-2007, 08:40 AM
So do you automatically get EMH at the waterparks if you stay on site? My understanding was that you only got it if you bought the WPM feature. Someone enlighten me. Also, does it mean that the park opens an hour earlier than the stated time (alternately if it is evening EMH does it stay open an hour later?)

Cheshire Figment
07-22-2007, 10:44 AM
We will always have at least one ticket window open (and the Ticket Vending Machines turned on) prior to opening the gates for EMH.

From late Spring until early Fall both water parks have morning EMH seven days a week starting one hour prior to the official opening. All you need is a current Resort ID (includes Disney Resorts, Swolphin, SoG and Hilton but not asny of the other DTD hotels) and a ticket.

Even EMH is Saturfdays at Typhoon only and is for three hours after official park closing. We start giving out wristbands at about 1:00pm. BB does not have floodlights for night events.

bittyx2
07-23-2007, 05:39 AM
I have twin daughters who are 15 and a son who is 11. All are good swimmers, although the girls are a bit more adventurous than my son.

flower15
08-01-2007, 06:36 AM
We love water parks and TL is Great! I have a question on the ticketing for the water parks and more. When you purshase this, for a 6 or 7 day stay,can you go to the water park during all of your days there? Say you spend one day at TL and visit the other parks rest of your days, but want to return to TL in the evening or afternoon on a couple of them. Would that be possible? And how does it work with one park a day type tickets? I've asked this on another site, but couldn't seem to get an answer. I hope someone can clear this one up for me. I've only been to WDW once and am planning a trip next year. I don't understand the peak time and summer time of year difference. Thanks.

anniedg
08-01-2007, 06:47 AM
If you get the water parks and more option they give you a specific number of entries in to the water parks or DQ. On a 6 day ticket you get 5 WP&M visits, on a 7 day ticket you get 6 WP&M visits. So with a 7 day ticket you can go to the water parks or DQ 6 different times. Those visits can either be on the same day as a park visit or not. It doesn't matter whether or not you have park hopper tickets. So yes, if some days you want to head to TL or BB after spending time at one of the parks you can, as long as you haven't used up all of the visits allowed with your ticket.
Hope that makes sense!

flower15
08-03-2007, 06:29 PM
THANK YOU Anniedg!!!!
Thank you so much for clearing that up. :D The person the answered me on the other site, acted like it was impossible. I so appreciate you getting back to me on this. What months have you been to WDW?

anniedg
08-03-2007, 08:04 PM
You're welcome :)
We usually go in the summer, but quite a while ago went in Feb. and were fine at the water park. When are you going? There was a recent thread about going to the water parks in Feb.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=74770