PDA

View Full Version : So what does your family think of Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2

mariezp
07-16-2007, 08:00 AM
Okay, we know everyone here loves Disneyland or we probably wouldn't be spending our time here, right? But on the otherhand, just how does the rest of your family feel about our beloved Disneyland?

I was inspired to ask this question after my daughter's morning ritual. For probably the last 4 months she calls me into her room every morning and we have to play 3 games. First, we look at the imaginary stars on the ceiling and take turns spotting Disney characters. This is followed by the "second round" which consists of one descibing a Disney character while the other guesses who it is. Finally, we get to the "third round" where one hums a Disney song while the other guesses again.

My daughter is 7. We have not been to Disneyland since last December but hardly a day goes by when someone in our house doesn't mention it. Part of our favorite routine is making a countdown clock as soon as we have the dates set for next year. Every few days someone will ask me "How many days?". They are not nearly as devoted a fan as I am but I am very lucky to have a family that shares at least some of the same enjoyment for the happiest place on earth.

kiki
07-16-2007, 08:44 AM
my mom and I are the big disney fans and take all of my cousins every year for vac. Most of the other adults in the fam stay far away from Disneyland. On our last trip, we had to make my grandmother and my other cousin come for the last day of our vacation.

adriennek
07-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Of our parents, one of them can't stand Disney. He hates waiting in lines, he hated Eisner before it was trendy to hate Eisner, he found the whole thing to be overpriced run by a greedy corporation and only went when it was either a private party or if he had to entertain out of town guests. Other parents have APs to Knott's Berry Farm. Our local sibling related to them, like us, have APs to DLR although I wouldn't call them "fans" to the extent we are. So it's not important to that side of the family that everyone have APs to the same park I guess. (And my opinion of Knott's doesn't need to be repeated in this lovely forum...)

My husband is the reason I got involved with the group of people who are now known as the MousePlanet Staff - he started back when message boards were housed on personal servers in people's homes and you had to dial into them. (I actually ended up working with a woman whose son ran one of the very first Disney message boards - what were they called back then? I don't remember...) This was in the mid-90s. We got our first APs as a graduation from grad school gift to Doc.

As for my kids?

My eldest was too young to ride BTMRR when he explained the Goat Trick (Ah, the goat trick) to a good friend.

They watch the bonus material on their Disney Presentation of Pixar movie DVDs. (Ok, they watch it on the Disney DVDs, too...) They can tell you the names of the directors and producers of the Pixar movies.

I could go on for awhile about my Disney nut men.

Adrienne

mistofviolets
07-16-2007, 09:03 AM
My dh for awhile hated Disney :( But then he softened as he watched the kids talking about saving up for a trip in the inevitable "future", (It took us a few years) Now, he can't wait to go back. I think it was watching our very painfully shy 4 y/o climb out of the storller, and run into Pluto's arms. And connecting with our 8 y/o dd by going on rides youngest was scared of.

My kids? They've been wanting to go back since we left. They'd like us to maybe buy a house next door. My youngest (now 5) would like to drive down *just* to do the Mr Potato head bar. Then we can go home. Promise. Twinkly eyes.

Oldest begs me to come here everytime I turn the computer on so she can read over my shoulder :P

Our respective extended families can take it or leave it. ILs thought the kids were way too young to go and enjoy it. My parents think its fun, but not an addiction. Something every kid should visit once. *sigh*. They also have the "squeeze your money's worth out of it" mentality, so I don't think they feel its really a vacation.

neverlander
07-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Just the other day, Dd(almost 8) said, "Mom, I still love Disneyland and everything... I just don't want to talk about it every second!" Dh often gets that glazed-over, tuned-out look when I ramble on about our upcoming trip. Now, if the timing's right, I can engage these two and get them fired up enough to almost match my excitement. However, their passion isn't anywhere near mine.
I was blessed with a second child (6) who everyone says is a female replica of my husband. Except, there's this hidden trait that she and I share... the love of DL! We often rise early, snuggle on the couch, and watch our DL home videos. The other day she woke up and said, "I just can't stand it. I have to go to DL NOW!" I was like, "ME TOO!!!" :D

The old man
07-16-2007, 09:27 AM
We last went in 5/06. I planned an early Nov. trip for this year. We always have a great time. My 9 year old daughter says we can skip it this year since we, "just went." :eek:

:(

mommy-san
07-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Every day when we ask my 2.5 year old "what should we do today?" she answers "Go to Dismeeland!!!!" She recreates the parade at least every other day and watches the real thing on our computer often. Her favorite song is the Pirates ride sound track. My husband and I talk about our trips at least once a day- even though it is 6.5 months away still. We have already booked hotel and plane tickets! My husband also listens when I explain the contents of a thread on the message boards without eyes clouding over or the eye roll!

Our 6.5 year old is less enthusiastic. (too cool I guess)

I think we have been a great influence on our extended family- my in laws are coming with us in January, and my parents hope to come the following fall for my little ones 5th birthday trip.

MermaidHair
07-16-2007, 09:57 AM
No one in my family is as addicited as me. Give my kids a chance, however. They have only been once and DS was only 2 so while he has fond memories, I think he has still not reached his full disneaddict potential. DD just wants to ride Space Mountain again. They know we will go for DS's 5th b-day next year, and that is just fine with them.

DH loves DL but is not absessive. He lets me plan the trips and tell him about what is on the message boards and gets excited with me. He just would never bring the subject up by himself.

MIL has never been :eek:. Maybe she can come with us next year. My parents took us when we were kids but think of it as a Kids place. They are happy to never go back. They are a little baffled by my trip this August without the kids!

MoKat72
07-16-2007, 11:57 AM
We live in Sacramento, and every time we see the sign for I-5 South, my husband wants to turn that direction to take us to Disneyland. This works out to approximately 1-2 times per day.

Jim Dear and Darling
07-16-2007, 01:35 PM
I am an addict. So are both my siblings and my mom. My dad hates it. HATES it. Just absolutely does not get it.

My boyfriend doesn't get it either. But he's never been. We're going in about 6 months, and I am confident that he'll get it then. ;)

alexandrasmom
07-16-2007, 01:52 PM
My DH just doesn't understand why my DD (4) and I love Disneyland so much! He lets us go several times a year, but doesn't want to come with us. I figure it is mother-daughter bonding time! :)

partyoffive
07-16-2007, 02:55 PM
I count my blessings everyday that my family is as big of Disney freaks as I am. We only go once a year - it's a long drive - but we talk about it ALL YEAR LONG at our house! We start planning for next year as soon as we come home - my kids ask how much longer every couple of days. I count the days until I can make reservations (6 months in advance) and have the 60 day deadline programed in my phone as an alarm so I can make the priority seating arrangements! My DH loves Disneyland and never complains about going. As for the extended family - my DH family has never gone - my family went once or twice and they don't understand my facination with it. My dad always asks how we can stand to go every year and not get bored - BORED? Are you kidding???? Some of the family has been converted though. We took one of my brothers last year and he came home singing disney songs, and watched nothing but Disney movies for two weeks - my other brother asked me what I did to him to brain wash him! LOL -

This year, my cousin (just like a sister to me) and her family are going with us for their first disney trip - I know that she will become the same kind of freak I am about it because we are the same person, only in different bodies!

We are taking my youngest brother when he graduates in two years and then he will be on board to - eventually we will convert them all to our ways!! :)

destinationdisney
07-16-2007, 03:24 PM
My two daughters and my granddaughter and I love Disneyland. We are fortunate to live close enough (1 1/2 hour drive) to go at least 5 times per year. We are upgrading our AP's so we will be going at least once a month !!!
My son never goes with us . He is 17 and has no interest in going. In our whole extended family it is only us who love and appreciate how amazingly special Disneyland is.

kiki
07-16-2007, 04:43 PM
I count the days until I can make reservations (6 months in advance) and have the 60 day deadline programed in my phone as an alarm so I can make the priority seating arrangements!

I thought I was the only one who does that. Nice to see that I am not alone. I am already planning next years week long trip.

minniemom
07-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Our whole family is Disney Freaky!!! We love Disney. We see anything Disney and we have to stop just to see what it is. When planning a trip to DL, everyone is involved. We drive all of our friends crazy because everything is disney this, disney that. We love it!!!

Tinkermommy
07-16-2007, 06:05 PM
My husband supports our "habit," but doesn't share our addiction. My daughter and I have PAPs; he'll come with us once a year for her birthday. He has a great time, but that's enough for him. He NEVER complains when we go.

Our extended family and friends are not only supportive, but enabling! LOL. My daughter's teacher, for example, just returned from Japan, and brought us souvenirs from Tokyo Disneyland. Woo hoo!

I wish I got a commission for everyone I've convinced to buy an AP -- we've had many friends and aquaintances buy passes after hearing us talk about our Disney experiences.

seanutbutter
07-16-2007, 06:21 PM
My mother and I are both great Disneyland/Disney fans. My brother and dad both enjoy visiting Disneyland but do not participate in any other Disney activities (i.e. going to the Disney store).

BraMax
07-16-2007, 06:21 PM
As a child I loved Disney. As an adult I'm teaching my kids to love Disney. We've gone twice and are heading there for our 3rd visit on Wednesday(second this year). My husband is beginning to like Disney and realize that the boy and I do so he might as well too lol. It makes for a wonderful family holiday. My sister is so anti Disney it isn't even funny. They've been to WDW 2 times and just came back from California this past weekend. She informed me that DL was boring and nothing compared to WDW. She loved CA though. Oh well I tell her that my family loves it, hers loves NASCAR. I don't judge her so don't judge me.

partyoffive
07-16-2007, 06:36 PM
I thought I was the only one who does that. Nice to see that I am not alone. I am already planning next years week long trip.

so glad to see that I am not the only crazy person out there :) maybe we should start a support group - but I guess that's kind of what this is isn't it! LOL

DebT
07-16-2007, 07:27 PM
My daughter and son are huge Disney fans. My husband passed the "Disney test" when we were dating, but isn't quite the fan as me and the kids. My parents honeymooned at Disneyland 46 years ago. They do not go often, but a few years ago rode California Screamin and Tower of Terror for the first time and they are in their 70's. My extended family loves Disney. Now my husband's family - not Disney people. We are going to the DLR with my husband's sister and brother's families in October. Just a tad concerned about making sure it's a good trip when the majority of the crowd doesn't appreciate the Disney magic.

dsnyredhead
07-16-2007, 07:39 PM
My parents went there at least once when they were dating back in the late 50's-early 60's. My brother and I have been going to Disneyland since the 70's and continue to do so. I went several years where I didn't go that frequently due to living in the southeast (Tennessee). In 1988, I moved to California and started getting to the park every few months or so. During the time I lived in Orange County, I was going every few days. I now go to the parks maybe once a month.

Alisonsmom
07-16-2007, 07:45 PM
My daughter is 3 and I've taken her 7 times. She LOVES it! I am so glad I have a buddy to go with. We are taking my parents for Thanksgiving this year, they haven't been in 23 years!!! That was when they took me on my first trip to Disneyland! They never wanted to go until I gave them a granddaughter and now they think it will be fun to watch her interact with all the characters. It probably helps that we talk non stop about Disney, listen to Disney CD's, watch Disney DVD's. I am also planning to have a Mickey theme in the guest room as we speak! Won't my parents be so happy when they come to visit now!?

yohomama212
07-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Okay, I'm completly addicted and raising addicts! DH didn't much get it at first, but after he discovered my weight loss he decided to give extended trips a try! DD#1 (2yo) sees pics of the park and says "home!" She knows that it's Sleeping Beauty's castle and corrects people when they call it Cinderella's! DS (4.5yo) wakes up and asks if we're going to DL today. Mom and I both spent our b-days at DL. I'm still a little bitter that DH took me to Vegas for our honeymoon and not DL like I wanted. Like I said, he's starting to come over and is already planning on me spending lots of time there come Christmas... my favorite holiday at my favorite place... oh yeah!!! I aso have been known to go to the park just to have a cup of coffee with my girl friends!

Sis got a job at DL a couple weeks ago and I keep bugging her for Disney secrets, but so far nothing. I might get a CM exclusive pin soon, but that depends on the rules she has to follow.

Elizabeth

limace
07-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Just the other day, Dd(almost 8) said, "Mom, I still love Disneyland and everything... I just don't want to talk about it every second!" Dh often gets that glazed-over, tuned-out look when I ramble on about our upcoming trip. Now, if the timing's right, I can engage these two and get them fired up enough to almost match my excitement. However, their passion isn't anywhere near mine.

That's just like our house...my 10 year old is excited but rolls her eyes when I talk about it over and over again. "Mom, we ALREADY talked about that". My folks love it, too, though not as much as I do-but I think they could go every year and enjoy it. One year, they were at a meeting in San Diego and spontaneously drove up and went to DL one day, then called me from inside the park just to gloat :)

DH and I have only been together a few years and this is our first Disney trip. He's gone to DL before but never for more than one day at a time!!!!! I keep telling him that he has no idea what he's been missing-I think he's a little taken aback by the planning I've been doing. But seriously-he would drive down to Oregon then just go for one day? What's that all about?

D15
07-16-2007, 10:07 PM
We're all totally crazy for Disneyland, with another generation of crazies on the way! :fez: A couple days ago, my niece (2.5) walked sweetly over to her daddy and had the following conversation:

"Daddy, I love you!"
"I love you too, honey."
"I really, really love you!"
"Aw, I love you too!"
"Now, we really need to go to Disneyland!"

As I said, well on their way :D