PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Wharf Potential

Clint
07-01-2002, 06:02 AM
When DCA first opened, Bountiful Valley Farm, Pacific Wharf, and the Bay Area, all subdivisions of the Golden State land, had little to show for themselves. But now Flik's Fun Fair is being added, and the Bay Area...well, there's really no room to put anything else there unless things were seriously rearranged, which leaves the Pacific Wharf. It's little more than a food court with a couple of factories as its only attractions. But I think it's theme is interesting and it deserves to have an E or at least a D-ticket attraction. And with the Lucky Fortune Cookery not doing such good business, wouldn't it just be so easy to remove it, and in its place put the entrance of an attraction. Like Haunted Mansion and Indiana Jones Adventure, only the actual entrance would need to be there, with the attraction stretching back into the current Timon parking lot which has already begun to shrink. Heck, even if they left the Lucky Fortune Cookery there it could still be easily done. With this "beach-town land", it seems that something really exciting fitting that theme could go there...something with a good story and good special effects, that both adults and kids would enjoy thoroughly...something that would seem very Disney. Besides, it's just about the only place left that can be expanded without removing anything else (besides a couple dozen rows of parking spaces).
I believe that in the years to come (although not very soon, give it 10 years or so) something great will appear in the Pacific Wharf. And of course, it would make perfect sense if they borrowed something straight out of Tokyo Disneysea for it. Pacific Wharf, beach, sea, it works! Although if you ask me I would prefer they do something totally.
Or maybe two new attractions, one from TDS and one totally new! Hey! I like that idea!

cstephens
07-01-2002, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Clint
And with the Lucky Fortune Cookery not doing such good business

I would venture to guess that it might do better business if it were, oh, actually open (imagine that!), and if they hadn't slashed the menu selection in half, taking out the very good food they used to have.

Uncle Dick
07-01-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by cstephens

I would venture to guess that it might do better business if it were, oh, actually open (imagine that!), and if they hadn't slashed the menu selection in half, taking out the very good food they used to have.
I'd guess that the restaurant was originally closed for so long (it reopened last week) due to its lack of popularity compared to the surrounding locations and, perhaps, because of the oversaturation of restaurants in DCA. I think Clint's idea about an attraction built in Timon is excellent. The Pacific Wharf area needs something more.

CEO Andrew
07-01-2002, 09:32 AM
How about a Runaway Cable Car ride a la "The Rock." :D

Just kidding . . . although I do agree that they should do something to spruce up this highly lucrative section.

daannzzz
07-01-2002, 09:36 AM
I don't know about the food as I never ate there. I do love the neon sign though.
I agree that the Pacific Warf could use an attraction though it doesn't have to go all the way to the timone lot. If you gut the building how big is it? They could fit a small dark ride in here. It could be a ride about San Francisco's China Town. If need be they could add a second floor to it.

cstephens
07-01-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
I'd guess that the restaurant was originally closed for so long (it reopened last week) due to its lack of popularity compared to the surrounding locations and, perhaps, because of the oversaturation of restaurants in DCA.

In the entire time that DCA has been open, I have never known Lucky Fortune Cookery to be open on any consistent basis. Even during busier times - summer and spring break - it wasn't usually open. The few times I was there on a Saturday, maybe it was open a few times. I spent many Sundays sitting in that area having lunch, watching people walk up, peruse the menu, walk up to the windows and then walk away disappointed because it wasn't open.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy - it may not be popular because it's hardly ever open. The numbers indicate that not many people eat there, so why bother to open it? But the numbers probably don't indicate that it's barely open at all.

Same thing for Farmer's Market. Such a shame. Two really good places to eat first have their menus drastically slashed and then they're shuttered for long periods of time. What a waste.

RStar
07-01-2002, 12:20 PM
I hope to see Maliburittos open again soon, that was my favorite, (even if it is in Paradise Pier).:(

Yummm!!!!:D

blusilva
07-01-2002, 11:54 PM
Perhaps it's because of the outrageous prices that Lucky Fortune Cookie is never open? I vaguely recall a trip when I perused their menu to find that 2 eggrolls cost something ridiculous. Of course, they weren't open, so I didn't have a chance to buy the two egg rolls, even at ridiculous prices....

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
07-02-2002, 12:22 AM
Yes but why would Disney keep so many resturants open? I think they learned their lesson with DCA (Walt Disney Studios has a total of 3 eating places).

If the crowds were as projected - then yes open them... but as they are not you can't expect that many options. At least they were not shuttered a la superstar limo

coronamouseman
07-02-2002, 03:31 AM
Save Timon for RnR Coaster - since it uses a launch tunnel it can be linked back to the Hollywood section via a combination of the queue and that tunnel .........

Only thing that SoCal people would probably want to see would perhaps be some kind of earthquake attraction showing destruction of SF - and that kind of thing is probably too close to home for people living in an earthquake zone (although Universal didn't seem to mind)

justagrrl
07-02-2002, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by cstephens

OMG! They are actually open?!?! Now that's something I haven't seen before. Since Jan 2 - when we first got our passes - they've never been open.

Tell me, are the other closed places open too - Maliburito and that nacho place in the HOllywood backlot area?

Uncle Dick
07-02-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by coronamouseman
Save Timon for RnR Coaster - since it uses a launch tunnel it can be linked back to the Hollywood section via a combination of the queue and that tunnel .........
Timon is large enough for several new attractions. RnR Coaster and a new Pacfic Wharf attraction can peacefully coexist there.

LIMANDL4EVA
07-02-2002, 04:01 PM
well honestly, i dont think the pacific wharf needs an attraction, it is nice and quiet the way it is, and you cant really base a good or at least DECENT ride to the pacific wharf, i think its great the way it is

MaGiK mOuSE!
07-02-2002, 08:01 PM
The Lucky Fortune Cookery was open during spring break!!! But not for memorial day weekend...There not making more then 5 thousand a day anyways...a joke compared to disneyland were one cashier tops that in an 8 hour shift....but that enough about that.....Pacific wharf attraction? Maybe a Storm Rider type attraction like TDS? or just a whole new land in timon lot? of the subject maybe they can combine the sub lagoon and the rocket rods and make an unbelievable "treasure planet" attraction in tommorowland....? an go for the glory on that villian mountain thing...expand fantasyland into the old big thunder ranch and festival fools arena! If your going to take out a great restaurant better have something to back it up! I miss the smell of the bbq!!! mmmmmmmmmm bbq!

Cadaverous Pallor
07-03-2002, 11:13 AM
The Pacific Wharf "land" is just more proof that they really didn't think the theming and growth potential through.

But I think it's theme is interesting and it deserves to have an E or at least a D-ticket attraction.....With this "beach-town land", it seems that something really exciting fitting that theme could go there...something with a good story and good special effects, that both adults and kids would enjoy thoroughly...something that would seem very Disney.
Ok, now I have to ask.....what exciting concept are you thinking of here? I have no clue what kind of ride they could put here, themewise. Something about fishing or factories? Give me a break.

I'm not that much of a downer on DCA, but this thread made certain lacking aspects crystal clear.

You know, since Walt created the first true themed park, no one has been able to break away from his idea of putting "lands" in parks. It seems there is a limit when creating lands, and the well has run dry. Someone has to come up with a new way to build theme parks. Don't look at me, I'm no imagineer. :rolleyes: ;)

Clint
07-03-2002, 02:36 PM
Ok, now I have to ask.....what exciting concept are you thinking of here? I have no clue what kind of ride they could put here, themewise. Something about fishing or factories? Give me a break.

No, not fishing and factories. I never said that. WDI is far more imaginative than that. And there's proof. Look at New Orleans Square. Two star attractions exist there, Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion...and honestly, do either of these *really* have anything to do with the city of New Orleans? Hardly. Their exteriors blend in, though...they're more extenstions of the land than anything else...a southern bayou and a haunted house in the south...Pacific Wharf can accomplish the same thing, can't it? I sure think so. To automatically assumes that something won't work is the enemy of imagination, and with that attitude, Pacific Wharf will forever be just a food court. Please excuse me for hoping that it can be more than that someday.

You know, since Walt created the first true themed park, no one has been able to break away from his idea of putting "lands" in parks.

Why break away from creating lands? Don't you think enough old traditions have been sacrificed?

It seems there is a limit when creating lands, and the well has run dry.

I couldn't disagree more. That's like saying there's no imagination left in the world.