PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Beauty Castle refurbish

Pages : [1] 2

LtTony
06-30-2002, 09:42 PM
Three questions. Is the castle completely closed during this work, with all the attractions inside not operating? Details please.
Also, give me your top bang for your buck hotel with a good view of the park.
Bonus question: Disney resort hotels. Are they worth it?

Thanks.
We'll be there 2nd week of July. Kids' first trip since pre-school. Ages 11 and 13 now. Can't wait.

Uncle Dick
06-30-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by LtTony
Three questions. Is the castle completely closed during this work, with all the attractions inside not operating? Details please.
The only part of the castle that's closed is the interior walkway (which was rarely visited anyway). Whether any actual "work" is going on inside is questionable.

Nigel2
06-30-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by LtTony

Bonus question: Disney resort hotels. Are they worth it?

Well as UD said the interior is closed, it was closed because there was a possilbe "terroist threat":rolleyes: so they closed it up and have put it on the "rehab" list.

Also the Resort hotels may be more attractive now since you no longer have to wait for a tram or monorail to get to the parks if you don't want to since Downtown Disney connects the hotels to the parks, plus there are other enterences to DCA which are closer to the hotels.

zapppop
06-30-2002, 10:39 PM
The alleged " rehab " is for the walkthrough part only.
TDA fears that the castle is a target for a terrorist attack so the walkthrough was put on " rehab " as of Sept. 12, 2001 and has not re-opened since. The signs to the entrance for the walkthrough have been removed and it's no longer listed as an attraction. No work is being done to the walkthrough which is why none of the cast members know whats being done to it and make up stories when the guests ask why it's closed.
The Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough doesn't need a major rehab that would keep it closed from Sept. 2001 - Jan. 2003+.

It's doubtful it'll ever re-open.
And if it does, it'll be a long time from now.
Expect it to disappear from the rehab list in the future.

disguy
07-01-2002, 06:49 AM
Does anyone know if the WDW castle is having the same issue? Isan't that one a whole lot bigger?

Disney Nick
07-01-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by disguy
Does anyone know if the WDW castle is having the same issue? Isan't that one a whole lot bigger?

There's no walkthrough attraction at the WDW castle.

Bill Catherall
07-01-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by zapppop
It's doubtful it'll ever re-open.
I'm so glad I took the time to take my kids through the walk-through everytime we visited. Sometimes twice per visit. It's sad to see it go, but at least I know that it will live on in the memories of at least one more generation. (I also gave the turnstyle a few extra spins for good luck. ;) :crying: )

Pony Sugrue
07-01-2002, 11:27 AM
WDW's castle may not have a "walk-through" w/ a story and dolls like DL's, but you can sure "walk through" the thing when you eat at "Cinderella's Royal Table". I'm not sure why they didn't close that. I guess because it makes money.

Nigel2
07-01-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Pony Sugrue
WDW's castle may not have a "walk-through" w/ a story and dolls like DL's, but you can sure "walk through" the thing when you eat at "Cinderella's Royal Table". I'm not sure why they didn't close that. I guess because it makes money.

Well besides it being a resturant as you stated odds are there isn't as great a security risk becuase there aren't a ton of places to hide dangerous things or to attack guests. Also there are CM's all over the place working so it may be harder to not be noticed.

marron-cream
07-01-2002, 09:17 PM
What I heard through the grapevine:

Yeah, the castle was closed because of Sept 11. Facilities decided that since it was closed and it was looking kind of shabby inside, it deserved a refurbishment. The problem is, it wasn't originally on the refurb schedule. Instead of being able to work on it all at once, Facilities can only do it when they get the extra time. That's why it's taking so long. So yeah, there is refurbishment. And yeah, it will re-open.

blusilva
07-01-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
The alleged " rehab " is for the walkthrough part only.
TDA fears that the castle is a target for a terrorist attack so the walkthrough was put on " rehab " as of Sept. 12, 2001 and has not re-opened since.

Just as a point of clarification, it wasn't closed until October. I walked through the last time the night that the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay of the HM debuted to the public, and IIRC, that was October 5.

But, yeah, it was because of terrorist threat and I would also be surprised if it reopened any time soon.

GREGOR
07-02-2002, 09:10 AM
The DL Castle as a terrorist threat?!! Gimme a break. I'm so tired of hearing this. While it may be de-moralizing if it was destroyed, how many people are you actually gonna kill if it was targeted? A dozen? Two dozen? I doubt if there ever were that many people in the attraction at once during its entire lifetime. Not to mention the fact that you have a much bigger and more populated target a few hundred yards away, the Matterhorn. It wasn't closed down. An airplane as a terrorist weapon is more likely to hit the larger mountain than the smaller castle.

For that matter, why aren't all the castles in all the parks closed? They're much bigger. Didn't some of the terrorists from 9/11 train in flight school in Florida? Man, that would be first castle I would close down. And don't tell me it's because you can walk up inside DL's castle either. You're going to do more damage if you let a bomb off at the base of the building than near the top. Anyway, if you were gonna walk a bomb or something inside the castle what's the difference if you just got on the Matterhorn, or Space Mountain and rode up inside it and bombed it?

It's more plausible that they want to do some rehab on it. Possibly to satisfy CA's new stricter safety laws somehow. Stairs are one of the most dangerous elements of a building. (Or worse case scenario, perhaps they can't figure out a way to make it accessible to that minority of people who are handicap, so they may never re-open it for the rest of us to enjoy.)

wonderful
07-02-2002, 05:31 PM
I have to agree with GREGOR, the whole terrorist threat on the castle thing is a little hard to swallow... for all of the reasons he pointed out.
I've pointed out before that it was no secret that Walt himself was not a big fan of the diorama inside and it was put in as a quick fix to tell the story of Sleeping Beauty. So the loss of it is really not that huge (but, hey, I didn't shed a tear when the Bears left, so maybe I have no heart). In any case, I do hope that the castle is not left empty forever... seeing as it is the icon of the park and all. Accessability might be a problem, but I am not sure if I buy that the attraction would stay closed permanently because of it... the ADA requirement does allow for stuctures to remain inaccessable if making them accessible is not feasable.
By the way, go to Disneyland on the 4th, or any darn place you please-- terrorists only succeed when they scare into your homes (which, for all intents and purposes, are just as likely targets).

triciaj
07-02-2002, 05:38 PM
Hi LtTony,

to answer the bonus question, I think the Disneyland Hotels are worth it, great service and close by. During the summer, you can go back to the hotel for an afternoon nap or swim, and recharge for the evening.

cheers, triciaj

Disney Nick
07-02-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by triciaj
Hi LtTony,

to answer the bonus question, I think the Disneyland Hotels are worth it, great service and close by. During the summer, you can go back to the hotel for an afternoon nap or swim, and recharge for the evening.

cheers, triciaj

Now here's the problem. The hotels right accross Harbor, by the IHOP are just as close, if not closer than the Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier hotel. Granted the Grand Californian is the closest and best hotel around, I just find a hard time justifying the price for me.

triciaj
07-02-2002, 07:08 PM
Yup, Nick is right, the Harbor Blvd hotels are about the same distance away (you can get the direct access from Paradise Pier into DCA, but since DCA opens later, it's not as useful as you'd think). And foodwise, Harbor is better value...

We've stayed at both, and when we've visited for short trips, we enjoy what I call the TME (Total Mouse Experience!)!

cheers, :)

Pooh
07-02-2002, 08:20 PM
I just want to say that I hope it re-opens. My niece loves it and it's great when there are long lines everywhere else.
PLUS, has anyone else noticed how many attractions have been closed or removed WITHOUT REPLACEMENTS?!?!?! Submarine, Skyway, Country Bear Jamboree, Rocket Rods, Sleeping Beauty... No wonder the lines are so long, there are a lot less attractions than there used to be. Oh, I can't forget the boat ride that is now an eating area and the old Keel Boats. Can anyone think of others?

Disney Nick
07-02-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Pooh
I just want to say that I hope it re-opens. My niece loves it and it's great when there are long lines everywhere else.
PLUS, has anyone else noticed how many attractions have been closed or removed WITHOUT REPLACEMENTS?!?!?! Submarine, Skyway, Country Bear Jamboree, Rocket Rods, Sleeping Beauty... No wonder the lines are so long, there are a lot less attractions than there used to be. Oh, I can't forget the boat ride that is now an eating area and the old Keel Boats. Can anyone think of others?
Interesting that you mentioned Country Bear Jamboree. In case you didn't know there is an attraction about Winnie the Pooh going where the Country Bears used to be.

ChipmunkStar
07-02-2002, 09:04 PM
Also, remember, Indiana Jones opened soon after the closing of the Skyway. So in a budget-sense, It has been replaced ;)

blusilva
07-02-2002, 09:35 PM
Yeah, the terrorist threat thing sounds implausible, but that's what I heard. I'm not saying I agree with it, just that's what I was told.

And, by the way, any run-of-the-mill whacko can make a terroist threat. Every day, pretty much. It doesn't necessarily have to be related to 9/11.

Pooh
07-02-2002, 09:59 PM
How about America Sings being replaced with offices and then Innoventions? Still an attraction, but not really a ride anymore. Also, while my 90 year old grandmother went on Indiana Jones, it usually has a more limited clientele, whereas "children" of all ages could go on the Skyway.
Finally, I heard the Pooh attraction was going near the Country Bear area, but not in it. Why would they close Country Bear with the movie coming out this summer? Where else can you have short lines, get away from the heat, and have the children entertained?

Someone-please build Yesterland! I miss these rides. Does anyone else miss Adventure Through Inner Space? :)

While I'm complaining, how about the fact that DCA has fewer rides and then keeps the Hollywood Backlot area closed until 11:30?! No wonder the park isn't doing well.

Uncle Dick
07-03-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Pooh
\Finally, I heard the Pooh attraction was going near the Country Bear area, but not in it. Why would they close Country Bear with the movie coming out this summer? Where else can you have short lines, get away from the heat, and have the children entertained?
There's simply no room in Critter Country for two new attractions. The Country Bears have (in the words of Disney) "taken their music on the road" and will no longer be featured at Disneyland. Check out this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6552) for more info.

Kevin Yee
07-03-2002, 01:58 AM
The castle closed the day of the US retaliatory strikes on Afghanistan, not on Sept 12. I recall this because it was the day of our Fall MouseAdventure, and we had needed the Castle Walkthru for the event, and had to scramble because they suddenly closed it midway through the day. I don't think it will ever be back, which is a pity.

GREGOR
07-03-2002, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by wonderful
Accessability might be a problem, but I am not sure if I buy that the attraction would stay closed permanently because of it... the ADA requirement does allow for stuctures to remain inaccessable if making them accessible is not feasable.

I realize that the walk-through could be exempt from complying with the Disabilities Act because it wouldn't be feasible (not to mention impossible) to make it so, but the Carousel would also have been exempt. Disney chose to make it accessible. So, who knows what they're thinking?

It would be a shame if the Castle walk-through was closed permanently, though. I know it's simple and a bit tacky and may have been thrown together at the last minute but it has been there for over fifty years.
At what point does something cease to be one generation's folly and another generation's historic treasure?

CEO Andrew
07-03-2002, 05:19 AM
I know it's simple and a bit tacky and may have been thrown together at the last minute but it has been there for over fifty years.

Well . . . not quite fifty years since Disneyland opened July 17, 1955. But even so, does anyone know when the diorama opened? I'd be curious to find out!